• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
UPDATE 2:
It's a bug
EXFzFkt.png
https://twitter.com/Konami/status/421469483274756098
Hahaha, just posted this. Yes, I've been in meetings since 1:30PM, and finally came out to be told about the offline issue. Yes, we are looking at it. No, it wasn't actually supposed to do that. That is all!

UPDATE: Strong possibility that it may be a bug with the Steam API, also here is Creative Producer at Platinum's twitter post
I'm more convinced now that they just don't handle some return value from some Steam API function correctly.
This is definitely a function of the way MGR uses the Steam API. Using a modified steam_api.dll allows it to work in Steam Offline mode. I can't say whether it's a bug or deliberate implementation, but it's not any other sort of DRM, all Steam.

ORIGINAL POST:

Fucking seriously, Konami?

ibltSM6S7UmEwr.PNG

Uuh, looks like Rising doesn't work at all if your internet goes out or if you put Steam in offline mode. That seems... odd.

yep. this is going to be annoying. I was halfway through chapter 2, internet disconnected and MGR just shut down.

Just tried offline mode. He seems to be correct.

My game doesn't start in offline mode O_O

I was going to buy this, but I don't pay for entirely single player games that require always online DRM.

First the region locking nonsense, now this.

Stop treating your customers like criminals, Konami.

Damaniel

Banned
I'll just play one of my other 600 games on Steam for the 5 minutes per year I'm not online.

I gave up caring about always-online DRM a long time ago. I'm pretty much near Internet access 100% of the time, and the few times I'm not, it's because I've decided to travel somewhere remote, and in those circumstances I'm not bringing any computing devices with me anyway.

Mrbob

Seriously? This wasn't public knowledge either. Konami is the worst. Keep working your way towards irrelevance in the future.

Htown

I'll just play one of my other 600 games on Steam for the 5 minutes per year I'm not online.

I gave up caring about always-online DRM a long time ago. I'm pretty much near Internet access 100% of the time, and the few times I'm not, it's because I've decided to travel somewhere remote, and in those circumstances I'm not bringing any computing devices with me anyway.

Good for you.

Nibel

But I just praised PG on Twitter :/

What did Konami do again? It's like they try their best to damage the game as much as possible
KuGsj.gif

Omikaru

Edit: It's since been revealed that this probably isn't DRM, but a bug, so I withdraw my venomous "fuck you" to Konami. :)

Htown

Thanks for letting us know. Was there any indication beforehand that this was going to be the case?

None, and it's not mentioned on the Steam store page. The game is a fairly large download, so people just started noticing disconnects and that the game wouldn't work in offline mode a few hours after the game came out.

Persona7

Banned
EDIT : I really hope this is a bug and it gets fixed before the end of the day

Even though this might be a bug, it is still terrible.

I'm going to wait for JP or the konami rep dude and get some clarification before flipping out too hard.

However.

I've bought every single action title from Clover/Platinum on release since Viewtiful Joe. I bought a Wii U for bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101. Hell, the only reason I didn't pick up rising for 360 was because of the inevitable PC release. But I am sure as hell not picking this up if there's always online DRM. If this gets confirmed I'm going to order a cheap copy for 360 and just play through that.

Durante

I'm not sure if it's "has always online DRM" or "has bug which crashes it when not online". Both have the same result for gamers, but I'd still consider them rather different in their implications.

Dahbomb

This honestly looks more like an unintentional glitch rather than intentional programming.

The game gives you no message when you try to boot in offline mode... it tries to boot then crashes to the Desktop. Seems like a quick and easy fix.

kunonabi

I've bought every platinum game on day 1 brand new except for MGR which i bought used for the ps3 using christmas money. I'm feeling less and less bad about that as time goes on. Fucking Konami.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Good thing I didn't went with the hype and pre order this. I'll buy when it is less than 5 bucks, I can wait.

Phazon

Cancellation of my pre-order last week redeemed. Really, fuck you Konami. This is terribad to just keep it secret.:/

Deadstar

At least you don't have to sign in using your Konami ID and then with your Metal Gear Rising ID and then verify your social security # and then your birth date and billing zip code.

Yuuichi

Well, this is certainly a surprise. I would imagine that this is probably grounds for a refund, as there was no such warning on the page, and, as such, the game was falsely advertised. I'll probably hang around, I basically don't play offline, so I should be ok.

Regardless, would be nice if we got treated with a little dignity once and a while, I give it a few days before someone cracks it.

So because you're always connected, that makes the DRM okay?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to be true. Game just auto quits without an internet connection :( Tested by starting Steam in online mode then cutting internet and trying to start the game.

Somnid

Like Dark Souls nobody will give a shit, blah, blah "PC is awesome so whatever." Also why PC pre-sell is bullshit. I thankfully dodged a bullet here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom