• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
If it is a bug, it's sort of a random one. Like what does a person's internet have to do with a game like this? Leaderboards issue or something?

Eusis

Does Rising have any internet connectivity in the console version? Aside from the usual Live/PSN network stuff. Leaderboards?
No, nothing like Dark Souls or anything. The only reason for this is either as an accident or as overbearing DRM nonsense.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
People, especially PC gamers care about this?

Can't you just not lose internet for the 6 or so hours it takes to beat this game? I know people will say its the principle and it's weird game to have online DRM (if it's not a bug) but doesn't sound very obtrusive for such a short game. Still weird ┐(´ー`)┌

Gbraga

If it is a bug, it's sort of a random one. Like what does a person's internet have to do with a game like this? Leaderboards issue or something?

It features cloud saving, maybe it's a bug related to that?

I dunno, it's strange though, you'd think that if it was intentional it would at least return to the menu or something instead of just crashing.

Dario ff

Banned
This seems to be a bug from somewhere of the Steamworks implementation. Starting Steam in offline mode should not lead to something like this even if there's an active internet connection that the game's checking (Which is the case with most of my uPlay games being able to boot in Steam offline mode). If the DRM server is from Konami, the game would still work in offline mode in theory.

I'm chalking this up to a bug and a misunderstanding of the Steamworks API by a japanese developer. Also, as Guess Who said below, a modified Steam API DLL makes the game work just fine. There's no external DRM server here, and it doesn't make it any harder to crack it either.

Nibel

JP just woke up and seems to drop by at the office - pretty high chance he'll see this and tell us what's up

Curious_George

Neo Member
So I guess if I want the best version I should grab the pirated one which apparently will run fine offline and cost me nothing. Sounds good to me?

xBladeM6x

I smell an increase in this title being pirated / offline cracks will be made for it. It's funny how that happens more with DRM enabled games because of the DRM. Idiot publishers will never learn.

Guess Who

Banned
This is definitely a function of the way MGR uses the Steam API. Using a modified steam_api.dll allows it to work in Steam Offline mode. I can't say whether it's a bug or deliberate implementation, but it's not any other sort of DRM, all Steam.

Yuuichi

It features cloud saving, maybe it's a bug related to that?

I dunno, it's strange though, you'd think that if it was intentional it would at least return to the menu or something instead of just crashing.
That would make sense, bad call with no exception and pop goes the program.

This is definitely a function of the way MGR uses the Steam API. Using a modified steam_api.dll allows it to work in Steam Offline mode.

Well then, looks like my theory might be substantiated.

Can't you just not lose internet for the 6 or so hours it takes to beat this game? I know people will say its the principle and it's weird game to have online DRM (if it's not a bug) but doesn't sound very obtrusive for such a short game. Still weird ┐(´ー`)┌

Some of us have connections that are suspectible to dropouts. It'd be nice if the game would at least give you a time limit to re-establish connectoin

It's the sort of thing that we as paying customers have a right to know. Hopefully we're all wrong here and it's just a bug. Otherwise, that means that Konami knew about it and chose not to report it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No, we're all just bored, and would rather make message board posts about games than play them.

You're right, I'll just schedule my next internet outage accordingly. Also, I'll schedule Konami's and Steam's next outage accordingly.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Some of us have connections that are suspectible to dropouts. It'd be nice if the game would at least give you a time limit to re-establish connectoin

Sounds annoying :(

It's the sort of thing that we as paying customers have a right to know. Hopefully we're all wrong here and it's just a bug. Otherwise, that means that Konami knew about it and chose not to report it.

Yeah kind of scummy if it's not written anywhere.

No, we're all just bored, and would rather make message board posts about games than play them.

You make it sound like this isn't what happens ( ≖‿≖)

You're right, I'll just schedule my next internet outage accordingly. Also, I'll schedule Konami's and Steam's next outage accordingly.

I didn't know people experience outages so frequently. Playing MGR will be a hassle then. Let's hope you never get into multiplayer gaming!

Omega

Banned
Like Dark Souls nobody will give a shit, blah, blah "PC is awesome so whatever." Also why PC pre-sell is bullshit. I thankfully dodged a bullet here.

?

Dark Souls goes for like $5 now and people still have refused to buy it because of the DRM.

I got it for free and don't even play it because of the DRM

Some people probably don't care. Some people do care for (what I think should be) obvious reasons. Issues like this aren't something that I demand people get worked up about, but I don't know why objections to this -- even on principle -- would be surprising.

Mrbob

Until you lose connection somewhere in the middle of a game and lose your progress. Why should we have to play the game worrying about this in the first place?

puzl

Banned
Christ, are we really going down this route again? I really hoped the days of having to download scene cracks just to prevent dialling home to big brother was a thing of the past.

Hopefully it's just a bug like Durante says it might be, but if not... poor show, Konami. Poor show.

Gbraga

If you play a character action game only for as long as it takes to beat once, you're doing it wrong.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
it'll probably be patched out, but i guess my internet dropped for a second after the 1st boss and it just booted me to desktop. doubt it's intentional.

C'mon dude.

Eusis

Can't you just not lose internet for the 6 or so hours it takes to beat this game? I know people will say its the principle and it's weird game to have online DRM (if it's not a bug) but doesn't sound very obtrusive for such a short game.
You can't control whether or not you have an internet outtage, and this seemingly just shuts it down rather than going "we'll wait until it's back" so if you're actually making really good progress in a boss fight or something you could get fucked over arbitrarily, might even corrupt saves at an extreme. Nevermind that sometimes there's weird hiccups that happens that last only for a half minute or so. Or your router/modem is starting to go south but you either haven't diagnosed the problem just yet or can't take a surprise cost like that JUST yet.

Really, shit that isn't vital to running the game but will wreck it if it's not there shouldn't be tolerated, period. You could say the same things about electricity going out but that's a necessary part of running the hardware, and since this isn't an online game it is not necessary to cease working because it isn't there.

Grief.exe

This is obviously a bug, you don't just CTD as soon as internet connection goes out.

There is some interaction between steamworks and the game that is just failing.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
They were the bad guys all along! This is a MGS-worthy plot twist!

puzl

Banned
?

Dark Souls goes for like $5 now and people still have refused to buy it because of the DRM.

I got it for free and don't even play it because of the DRM

Dark Souls doesn't use DRM in some evil, insidious way though. It just relies on GFWL for the net-coding, specifically for when you play online. I'm sure if it was SP only, FROM/Namco would have just released the game on Steam as it was, without the need for GFWL. Do I wish it didn't have it? Sure, but then it was a rushed port anyway. All being well, GFWL will be removed soon anyway.

Anyway, more fool them for letting a username and password prompt prevent them from playing the game of the decade.

If it's a bug, please fix.

If it's intentional, no buy, out of principle. There is no good reason for it being there, and I'm not supporting companies that does stupid things for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom