• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS 2+3 getting pulled from all platforms tomorrow

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

*** [Important Notification] Temporary removal of METAL GEAR SOLID 2 and METAL GEAR SOLID 3 from digial storefronts (PlayStation®3, Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS, etc.)​

Thank you for playing the METAL GEAR series.

We are currently working on renewing the licenses for select historical archive footage used in-game, therefore, we have made the temporary decision to begin suspending the sale of METAL GEAR SOLID 2, METAL GEAR SOLID 3 and all products that include these games from digital storefronts globally starting from November 8th, 2021.

Licensing issues I guess. I wonder if they will bother to pull the music and re release them, or make a new pachinko machine that runs on the tears of metal gear and silent hill fans instead.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

EasygoingPhysicalBluewhale-size_restricted.gif

YCoCg

I wonder if they will bother to pull the music and re release them,
They state in the website you linked:
We are currently working on renewing the licenses for select historical archive footage used in-game, therefore, we have made the temporary decision to begin suspending the sale of METAL GEAR SOLID 2, METAL GEAR SOLID 3 and all products that include these games from digital storefronts globally starting from November 8th, 2021.

I can't believe we can't even buy MGS1 on console. Didn't they release that on PC a year ago? Strange they don't release certain classics on console. Same with Persona 4

Naked Lunch

Seems this is only temporary.

Interesting licensing goes that deep - for archival footage - and cool that Kojima vouched for stuff like that all those years ago, even knowing the licensing for it cost towards the budget. I recall MGS3 having tons of that old footage - but im not remembering it in MGS2 - its been awhile.

Usually a game just loses licenses for music or a car/jet model - but this the first game im hearing for this.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Temporary removal !

If you already own the game you are good, nothing will change. It's just the time for them to get the license back, it will be back soon so calm down with the clickbait ...

MacReady13

I really hate to be that guy but fuck me, this is the digital future some of you have been bragging about for a while. Just keep pumping up the tires of sub services like gamepass which is digital only and this will be the future of gaming.

GreatnessRD

Hope they get it situated. The entire series should be on PC and I'm not ok that its not! I would really like to hear the reasoning with MGS3. I'm having a very hard time believing the CPU's today can't just brute force that game to work. Just not going for it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Darn, I was hoping that it was related to the Nvidia leak that stated the HD collection/remake was coming to PC.
Seems too coincidental to not be an unstated part of the reason. Re-upping the license for the existing versions and the remasters/remakes might be more complicated to work out, so they need more time. Speculation and guesswork of course, because they could also just work out two different deals and get the games back up ASAP.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have still HD X360 collections so I am fine, but still, I hope it's just a temporary thing. These games should live on forever.

there is a disc version, so we good... the retail version is on ebay for about 15 bucks
Part of the reason it's so cheap physical is because of the existence of the digital version, it means it basically has infinite availability. I wouldn't be surprised if prices on physical copies skyrocket soon.
It very clearly says "temporary", you doofus.
It also very clearly says "in the process of renewing", meaning they haven't actually finished renewing them. That means there's no guarantee they'll actually be able to...such "temporary" suspensions can become permanent, or when they come back they've been altered to remove any content they couldn't relicense.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Great move.
The minute they‘re up again, Kojima stans will buy a copy for every platform they don’t have the game on yet, just in case this happens again and it”s permanent.

saintjules

Thank you for playing the METAL GEAR series.

We sincerely ask for your patience and understanding as we work towards making these products available for purchase once again.

Thank you for your continued support of the METAL GEAR series.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Already posted.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ve already played those games give me MGS4 on PS5 the show Kojima put on PS3 that left fans shell shocked no one saw old snake coming.

Top Bottom