• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS Ground Zeroes seems like a cool FPS stealth game (mod)

Denton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x67Q4jUavp4

Download:
http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidv/mods/3/?

Should be updated until bugs are out.

From the video description (since I haven't tried it myself yet):

It's brilliant. There are some little things wrong, such as, well you know when Snake's standing still, you turn around, he kinda goes a small semi circle rather than just clipping round? You can feel that; the camera moves as he would, but because of this, it's nice that you can do the Arma esque thing and run one direction while looking another, like neck movement. Not being able to see what's round corners makes things much more tense, and you've gotta be really careful and try and get a good view on things beforehand. You've got to rely on your senses a lot more, and it's obvious I wasn't [For example not hearing a truck coming at one point.] One last thing, as noted, is that you can't see character models if you're right next to them; as with the third person camera, things disappear when you get too close. Of course it makes picking up items a little awkward, but altogether it's nowhere near enough to turn me off of the mod.Oh and certain weapons look funny. ;)

3-2-1420739641.jpg

3-1-1420739687.jpg

3-2-1420805921.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
Very impressive. I'm amazed at the amount of mods that's come out so far, and this one looks almost like a legit feature in the game.

It's going to be crazy seeing what mods we get for TPP.

Alienous

They already have first-person aim down the sights animations (for things like reloading and moving). I even think they have 'at the hip' animations for all of the guns too. After GTA V I'd totally expect this as a feature.

Edit:
The transitions for going to cutscene animations are so well done. Snake enters from out of view of the first-person camera.

Dawg

I think mods such as this are great, but I wouldn't want to play MGS in FPS-view. I like to see Snake. He's an iconic character and I honestly can't imagine playing TPP with FP-view.

It's great for games like Call of Duty, Farcry, Thief, Deus Ex etc where I don't give two shits about the main character (Well, I did like Adam Jensen :p) but compared to the GTA V mod, I don't think it would make MGS better. Not just because I like to see Snake btw, I really prefer MGS being a third-person game gameplay-wise. And I'm already using FP-view for some guns anyway.

Obviously, this is just my opinion. I really like to see the mods people come up with. Some really creative and hilarious stuff.

Mechazawa

Watching that video, the wet running noise is driving me insane in a way that it didn't when I was playing it 3rd person.

I think mods such as this are great, but I wouldn't want to play MGS in FPS-view. I like to see Snake. He's an iconic character and I honestly can't imagine playing TPP with FP-view.

It's great for games like Call of Duty, Farcry, Thief, Deus Ex etc where I don't give two shits about the main character (Well, I did like Adam Jensen :p) but compared to the GTA V mod, I don't think it would make MGS better. Not just because I like to see Snake btw, I really prefer MGS being a third-person game gameplay-wise. And I'm already using FP-view for some guns anyway.

Obviously, this is just my opinion. I really like to see the mods people come up with. Some really creative and hilarious stuff.

You don't have to if you don't like it, I still think it would be great if the developers added it as an option in TTP. People should spam Kojima's twitter with this.

Holy shit I knew those screens reminded me of something.
Project IGI...man, what a game. Hard as fuck, but so good. I wonder what happened to Innerloop devs after they closed.

I have no idea if the game would hold up these days but I played a lot of IGI back in the day. It was a bit eaier if you abused the fact that the bullets always hit the crosshair exactly. You could target a guy with binoculars, switch to any weapon you wanted and kill them from a mile away! But even playing like that it was no cakewalk.

justjim89

The GZ mod scene gives me faith that someone will mod in Hayter's voice into TPP. Provided someone convinces Hayter to do the full script.

Denton

I have no idea if the game would hold up these days but I played a lot of IGI back in the day. It was a bit eaier if you abused the fact that the bullets always hit the crosshair exactly. You could target a guy with binoculars, switch to any weapon you wanted and kill them from a mile away! But even playing like that it was no cakewalk.

I had no idea about that, holy crap. That is a funny design flaw.

Paasei

Still having a hard time convincing myself to get this game. I LOVE stealth games, but I'm just afraid that the game is too short for some reason...

Jackpot

Banned
It works extremely well. It switches back to 3rd person for contextual actions and driving. Like GTAV, something about the same game in first person just looks more impressive.

You do need to turn Screen Filtering to Low otherwise the DoF makes the gun all blurry. And it goes back to 3rd person when you're indoors which I'd prefer it didn't.

Still having a hard time convincing myself to get this game. I LOVE stealth games, but I'm just afraid that the game is too short for some reason...

It is short, but it's priced accordingly. And you could have gotten it for $9 during the Steam sale (and the PS4 version was going for $5).

It works extremely well. It switches back to 3rd person for contextual actions and driving. Like GTAV, something about the same game in first person just looks more impressive.

You do need to turn Screen Filtering to Low otherwise the DoF makes the gun all blurry. And it goes back to 3rd person when you're indoors which I'd prefer it didn't.

Well you could just disable the DOF in screen filtering using the lua edits. That too!

You could mod the DoF out separately while keeping AA and reflections on Extra High. I did it using StratosGK's modding tool, very easy.

Edit: beaten

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Ehh, doesn't look good to me. You don't see Snake's hands/body in any situation other than when aiming. Climbing, crawling, etc look really off to me because of that.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Who's gonna pay him?

Never mind that, someone had mentioned that to him before and he said he would never do it. I wouldn't blame him, why would you even want to do a voice for a character when the creator didn't even want you initially.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Why do mod promo shot always have horrible IQ?

Install the mod, crank the settings, then take a screenshot please.

If the open world and systems of TPP are as good as they appear and this mod works on it, we could have the real sequel to Crysis 1 that we never got.

Watching that video, the wet running noise is driving me insane in a way that it didn't when I was playing it 3rd person.
Yeah the squelchy sound is really irritating particularly when sprinting.

btw can't you always play mgs(3 + 4) in first person? You just have to hold a lot of buttons simultaneously.

Also, does the current gen consoles versions have the swaying foliage? Can't remember with the ps4 version.

ditto. can't wait to see the mods, and this is cool to dick around with, but stealth is best in 3rd person

Yeah the squelchy sound is really irritating particularly when sprinting.

btw can't you always play mgs(3 + 4) in first person? You just have to hold a lot of buttons simultaneously.

MGS1 had a first person view. MGS2 and 3 had first person shooting. MGS4 was the only one that allowed character movement in first person

Top Bottom