• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Ground Zeroes Xbox Exclusive Content Trailer

I'm one of the people who don't think it's a huge deal but to be fair, didn't it cross your minds before the reveal that people would react exactly like this?

I mean, the MGS1 skin/mission was pretty badly received, while Cyborg Raiden x Snatchers looks actually cool, if superfluous.

Absolutely it crosses my mind. It crosses my mind every time. I'm the first guy to hear it and the last one held responsible for reporting it. It's my job. I was just having a bit of fun with that last one. Don't read to deeply into it. :D

And yeah, we assume that most people aren't buggered too much by it one way or the other. And it's all up to KojiPro to decide what content goes into their games, that's their job.

Overall, people on GAF were pretty miffed at the PS reveal because Kojima got on the hype train and rode it pretty hard, and in comparison to what it "could have been" it was kind of a letdown. But it ran pretty well on other platforms so I can pretty confidently say response was "mixed". At the end of the day, when I have to assemble all the data about the response to Raiden I imagine it will be "mixed" as well.

We've since informed Kojima that if he would kindly knock the hype down 60% we'd all have fewer gray hairs.

Flo_Evans

I think it's because, when you look at sales, Metal Gear fans are mostly on PlayStation. Even when XBox got Substance, PS2 for it later with more content. Just don't be shocked when people want to get this on PS consoles and aren't getting all the content and complain. The whole reveal has been a little bit grating to people in how it's been handled in some cases - from Moby Dick Studios (what happened to that thing?), to Sutherland/Hayter Switcheroo, to the complete misunderstanding of the games being split, but not split, but split, to the gameplay that is shown, to the sheer confusion over the product.

I'm more offended at two sets of different exclusive content, if I'm honest. Make the content available to all.

I'm offended there is console exclusive content for a demo in the 1st place.

Like come the fuck on. No one but hardcore MGS fans are even going to buy this.

The MGS4 Young Snake octocamo face on the PSone MGS1 Snake model?

... YES!! And have that mo-capped to Kiefer Sutherland too!!

Exactly. I don't get the low poly shit. It's not nostalgic, its just hideously jarring. His face was so awesome in MGS4. Time was put into that face! I need it! :(

Unless you're making fun of my explanation... Then LA LI LU LE LO to you too!

Slappers Only

Kojima just shot himself in the foot, et cetera...

I really like platform-specific content like this, and I'd like to see it more often. Soul Calibur 2 is my favorite example.

I really like platform-specific content like this, and I'd like to see it more often. Soul Calibur 2 is my favorite example.
This is totally different, because there is no way Link could appear on the PS2 or Xbox.

There is no reason Classic Snake can't be on Xbox One and Raiden can't be on PS4. Now if you want exclusive Master Chief and Nathan Drake content, then I'm okay with exclusive content.

Looks cool but I wouldn't expect MGS gameplay wrapped on MGSV engine.
These are completely different games.

It will be more like a re skinned Snake that runs faster with extra meele animation.

Still much better than the PS4 content though.

Exactly. I don't get the low poly shit. It's not nostalgic, its just hideously jarring. His face was so awesome in MGS4. Time was put into that face! I need it! :(

Unless you're making fun of my explanation... Then LA LI LU LE LO to you too!

You only said the face! XD And hey, if Kojima wants to take this joke even further, then only changing the face would be hilariously awesome too!

Or, you know, he could just piss me off and take the Twin Snakes model with that terrible way they made his lips look and put that in Ground Zeroes.

It's not quite platform-specific in that same way though. In SC2's instance, they were having the exclusive character be defined by the culture of the platforms, at least I think so. Nintendo has a storied history of great characters, let's have Link fight in the game! Sony has our Tekken franchise, let Heihachi bash some heads in. Xbox... Spawn because he's black and green too and I think Namco was doing a Spawn game for Xbox!

And then when it came to Soulcalibur 4, Darth Vader was black and Yoda was green, just like the respective consoles!

This is way better than the stupid pixel Snake.

Whoa.

Whoa, hold on now.

IF we were running around Ground Zeroes as MSX Snake?!

Now that would be the biggest fanservice. Hell, watch the Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake "remakes" just be challenge map-type missions with MSX assets rebuilt a la Minecraft but in the new HD.

I'm more offended at two sets of different exclusive content, if I'm honest. Make the content available to all.

Sony and MS both want exclusive content to persuade people to buy it on their platform. Chances are Konami got some sort of sweetener to produce the content from both parties, I'd consider this fairer than only one platform getting exclusive content. If one has the content you want get it on that and if you don't own that platform then well, thats just sort of tough unfortunately.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
ToraShiro, are you avoiding answering my question about the sales of GZ determining the release time-frame of TPP on purpose? ;)

Why should sales effect anything? you thinking just because GZ sold well they will rush and get MGSV out the gate sooner? the game will be released once it's done. You really don't need Konami to say anything about this, just use common sense. :)

jbug617

Banned
What I hope doesn't happen is region specific exclusives. MGR VR missions were exclusive to PS3 (all regions)but also came to 360 (you had to buy it)but only in Europe.

RangerBAD

Whoa.

Whoa, hold on now.

IF we were running around Ground Zeroes as MSX Snake?!

Now that would be the biggest fanservice. Hell, watch the Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake "remakes" just be challenge map-type missions with MSX assets rebuilt a la Minecraft but in the new HD.

I'd like the model that they'll be using for the MG1 and 2 remakes.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Why should sales effect anything? you thinking just because GZ sold well they will rush and get MGSV out the gate sooner? the game will be released once it's done. You really don't need Konami to say anything about this, just use common sense. :)

Exactly. It's been 5 and a half years since the last game. GZ is obviously a way so satiate us after all this time.

It's not me saying this - this is something Konami said previously about Ground Zeroes.

LINK

Alienous

Can you say anything regarding the fate of The Phantom Pain releasing in 2014 if Ground Zeroes sells like hotcakes?

Is that still true?

If Ground Zeroes does well, Kojima will be given all the time he needs to make The Phantom Pain.

If Ground Zeroes fails, Konami will point a gun at Kojima Productions to get shit done.

The choice is yours.

LiK

people are actually going nuts over this? console exclusive missions tend to be meh anyways. but i'll play it.

Blader

That's just their way of getting people to buy it. Kojima is quite steeped in the art of hostage negotiation.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? If GZ bombs, they'd wait TPP sooner rather than later to make up the difference. Conversely, if GZ is a huge success, then they can safely push off TPP into their next fiscal year. So by NOT buying it, you'd help push them into a sooner rather than later release.

Personally, I find it really hard to believe TPP would ever launch later than holiday 2014. It doesn't make sense for anyone involved unless there are some serious, pressing problems with the game.

jordisok

Well exclusive content sucks, but that classic Snake is actually kinda amazing. Low poly 3D can look awesome sometimes.

What the fuck, why does Xbox get a cool mission and PS is stuck with shit? Also anyone else find it odd that Xbox gets MGR Raiden when the PS3 version of MGR sold like 5 times as much as the 360 version?

This.

PlayStation versions will probably still sell better though.

Probably by a mile too.

Fuck me.

Best version confirmed.

Still no. Like most multiplats, the game itself should run better on the PS4.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Wouldn't it be the other way around? If GZ bombs, they'd wait TPP sooner rather than later to make up the difference. Conversely, if GZ is a huge success, then they can safely push off TPP into their next fiscal year. So by NOT buying it, you'd help push them into a sooner rather than later release.

Personally, I find it really hard to believe TPP would ever launch later than holiday 2014. It doesn't make sense for anyone involved unless there are some serious, pressing problems with the game.

It's only been announced for a year, MGS4 took a good 3 years to come out. 2015 for me, but I'd love to see it 2014's end.

Wish it had been a next-gen only thing though.

abtom

Banned
Raiden is an Xbox character...

people forget MGS2 aka Raiden debut was the first ever MGS game on Xbox

MGR was also debut at E3 MS conference

now this...

NqiEk.gif

Broank

I thought it was some major thing the way people were reacting but meh. Not sure why Kojima is so obsessed with relentlessly pushing Raiden, he was useful in MGS2 but it should have ended there.

RangerBAD

I thought it was some major thing the way people were reacting but meh. Not sure why Kojima is so obsessed with relentlessly pushing Raiden, he was useful in MGS2 but it should have ended there.

It's not about Raiden. It's about content parity. Admittedly, the Raiden missions looks way more fun than a PS1 Snake skin.

abtom

Banned
People who are saying they will get the game on both platforms are the reason why companies like Konami get away with shit like this.

It's not me saying this - this is something Konami said previously about Ground Zeroes.

LINK

I don't think that means in the literal sense. "Waiting and seeing" how GZ performs doesn't have to mean a sales thing. It would make more sense for that comment to related to feedback. You know how they have a pilot of a new TV show to test the waters? Same idea and Kojima even mentioned this pilot thing in one of his interviews.

Kojima has stated that TPP is taking a long time to make since it supposedly is massive. If there's a lot of negative feedback with this game, then they'll ideally make sure to improve on stuff even more, addressing the relevant feedback.

This also applies to Kojima's strange PS4 user base comment. He didn't mean that they'll only release the game when there's plenty of PS4 users, like some kind of hostage negotiation. He was merely giving an estimate of when he thinks TPP will be finished and released - in his own weird and quirky way.

Well gotta say Xbox has the better content in this instance… by far.

Quirky / badass Cyborg Raiden >>>>> boring / awfully out of place looking MGS Snake.

The mission itself also appears to have a novelty storyline around it too, where as the PS4 content just seems to be a regular mission you can play through with an alternate skin.

So Xbox gets a unique character with unique abilities, while PS gets Polygon Solid Snake who isn't even voiced by David Fucking Hayter.

Seems pretty fair to me.

Drencrom

Absolutely it crosses my mind. It crosses my mind every time. I'm the first guy to hear it and the last one held responsible for reporting it. It's my job. I was just having a bit of fun with that last one. Don't read to deeply into it. :D

And yeah, we assume that most people aren't buggered too much by it one way or the other. And it's all up to KojiPro to decide what content goes into their games, that's their job.

Overall, people on GAF were pretty miffed at the PS reveal because Kojima got on the hype train and rode it pretty hard, and in comparison to what it "could have been" it was kind of a letdown. But it ran pretty well on other platforms so I can pretty confidently say response was "mixed". At the end of the day, when I have to assemble all the data about the response to Raiden I imagine it will be "mixed" as well.

We've since informed Kojima that if he would kindly knock the hype down 60% we'd all have fewer gray hairs.

Can you please memo the people of Konami/KojiPro (especially the higher ups) that they can fuck off with this Exclusive Content bullcrap.

Top Bottom