• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

Fuzz Rez

Banned
II VerTigo II said:
Wow for both the review and this masterpiece, now if only I can get this as an avatar.
It's my friends old avatar but he doesn't use it anymore so if you like it take it.
eqs7cz.gif

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Variable said:
"Touching" is not how I would like MGS described.

MGS4: 10 "Metal Gear Solid 4 is Hideo Kojimas best and most love molesting game ever, it takes your love and makes it its bitch, and sodomises it some.

Klone.K

Did they mention anything about the complexity or depth of the storyline? I really don't want to be fucked over with another dumbed down version of the story like with MGS3.

Though most reviewers are compasring this game to MGS2 in terms of plot, so I might as well just wait and see...

I have quite a bit of hope of this game being the series savior after MGS3 and MPO.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Klone.K said:
Did they mention anything about the complexity or depth of the storyline? I really don't want to be fucked over with another dumbed down version of the story like with MGS3.

Though most reviewers are compasring this game to MGS2 in terms of plot, so I might as well just wait and see...

I have quite a bit of hope of this game being the series savior after MGS3 and MPO.
People like you exist, ew.

Klone.K said:

Its like reading a post from someone in a bizarro dimension. This is facinating.

Frog

Klone.K said:

MGS2 really wasn't any more complex than MGS3, it just left more unanswered questions. While it was great to have mysteries to ponder for seven years, unanswered questions is the last thing I want in MGS4.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sykoex said:
yay let's pretend MGS2 isn't the best selling MG game ever so far.
I love MGS2. But that's irrellevent.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MGS4 can't come soon enough...
for it will rise up and restore gaming to it's former glory.
A true masterpiece.

DrBo42 said:
Absolutely not.
absolutely yes

MGS2 had too much technobabble and the story just fizzled out. MGS3 meanwhile had a classy bond-feel and the story was much much MUCH more EPIC (especially the final battle) and plus you played the same character the entire game through:lol

DrBo42

frAntic_Frog said:
absolutely yes

MGS2 had too much technobabble and the story just fizzled out. MGS3 meanwhile had a classy bond-feel and the story was much much MUCH more EPIC (especially the final battle) and plus you played the same character the entire game through:lol
I completely disagree. MGS3's story was cheesy and lame to me and those bosses were sub par at best.

MGS3 is sooo much better than MGS2. Every time I play MGS2 I can't believe how little meat there is to the main game. Though what's there is awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
For the record I have a tremendous respect for MGS2 and everything it did (it is without a doubt one of my favorite games and I make a point of replaying it fairly often), but saying MGS3 was dumbed down is just ridiculous. I'd call it refined.

Knowing that we are going to get a great mix of the better points of MGS2&3 in MGS4 is what makes me so excited. :D

Mromson

So this puts the MGS4 reviews at Five?

PlayStation Official Magazine (UK): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (US): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (Italy): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (Dutch): 9.6/10
LEVEL (Sweden): 10/10

the ending fmvs in MGS2 was just cringe-worthy. using
tourist videos
of NY was just lazy and totally awkward. and the song during the credits was laughingly bad too...the lounge jazz music of "cant say no to tomorrow" did not fit the mood of MGS AT ALL

just admit it...MGS2's final bits was HORRIBLE. it was still one of the GREATEST MGS games....just not as good as Snake Eater

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Klone.K said:
Who cares? MGS is about the story.
I'm sorry you mustn't have heard all the other posts. Do you want us to speak louder?

frAntic_Frog said:
tourist videos
of NY was just lazy and totally awkward. and the song during the credits was laughingly bad too...the lounge jazz music of "cant say no to tomorrow" did not fit the mood of MGS AT ALL

just admit it...MGS2's final bits was HORRIBLE. it was still one of the GREATEST MGS games....just not as good as Snake Eater
I disagree.

Doc Evils

frAntic_Frog said:
tourist videos

They had to change it last minute after 9/11

Mets39

Mromson said:

PlayStation Official Magazine (Dutch): 9.6/10

if those counts:

Joypad (France): 19/20
Jeuxvideo Magazine (France): 18/20

and pretty sure a Spain mag gave it a 96/100, but can't remember the name of it.

Mets39

frAntic_Frog said:
lol some european mags use a 20-point scale instead of 10 or 100 points......must be a metric thing lol

typical French thing. Even our school test use this scale ...

Doc Evils said:
They had to change it last minute after 9/11
it was still a poor design decision.....they probably just used scouting footage they shot when they were visiting the city and left it at that. really really bad imo

Doc Evils

Mromson said:

PlayStation Official Magazine (Dutch): 9.6/10 (SPOLIER Warning - [

remove the scan.

AAK

MGS3 was technically the superior game. But MGS2 was far more memorable and it had the biggest impact to me out of the 3 MGS games.

The plot twists of MGS2 were the best IMO.

I love both MGS3 and MGS2. Snake Eater is obviously more realized because they were more familar with the PS2, but MGS2 is still my favorite.

The vibe is just incredible and I love the dystopian/end of the world feeling that you get at the end of it. Snake Eater was awesome interms of gameplay, but I didn't care for the bosses at all. They were cool, sure, but not as interesting as prior baddies. Other ones you could sympathize with and understand their point of view, while the ones in MGS3 seemed more like hurdles you had to overcome. Specifically The Fury and The Pain.

MGS3 did have The End though and he was pretty much the best boss ever. Soooo. Fortune still has a special place in my heart though. *Tear*.

SRG01

frAntic_Frog said:
tourist videos

Actually, "Can't Say Goodbye To Yesterday" fits with some of the other lounge-y scores that MGS2 and onward have done. It fits how
nearly everyone in the story is bound by their past, but it's their present choices that define who they are

PS. Both MGS2 and MGS3 were great games, but MGS3 was just plain better.

Klone.K

SolidSnakex said:
Which really doesn't mean anything. The general feeling among fans is that MGS3 is currently the best in the series.

On actual MGS forums such as ign, gamefaq etc the consensus is MGS2 is best. Only non hardcore fans like mgs3 better like reviewers and casual gamers. The only reason they like 3 better is because it has more gamerplay and the story is more entertaining. well newsflash, mgs is made primarily for its story not gameplay and the storyline is supposed to be intellectually stimulating like mgs2 and not an overblown hollywood action flick knockoff like mgs3.

I ask you where was the philosophy, the pot tewists, the character development on par with Raidens and the background stories of bosses in MGS3? It seemed like it was more like a spy flick parody that didnt take itself seriously enough/

Klone.K

SolidSnakex said:
Which really doesn't mean anything. The general feeling among fans is that MGS3 is currently the best in the series.

On actual MGS forums such as ign, gamefaq etc the consensus is MGS2 is best. Only non hardcore fans like mgs3 better like reviewers and casual gamers. The only reason they like 3 better is because it has more gamerplay and the story is more entertaining. well newsflash, mgs is made primarily for its story not gameplay and the storyline is supposed to be intellectually stimulating like mgs2 and not an overblown hollywood action flick knockoff like mgs3.

I ask you where was the philosophy and deep thematic exploration, the pot tewists, the character development on par with Raidens and the background stories of bosses in MGS3? It seemed like it was more like a spy flick parody that didnt take itself seriously enough.

Tideas

Banned
Klone.K said:
well newsflash, mgs is made primarily for its story not gameplay a

Eh? What are you smoking? MGS is considered one of the best, if not the best game of the PS era because of its gameplay.

Klone.K

SolidSnakex said:
No it's not.

Anyone who cares about the gameplay close as much or more than the story in MGS is not a hardcore fan and should look for a different franchise that actually prioritized gameplay

Top Bottom