• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

I'm not sure how people can call that a bad ending. Abrupt? Yes. But if anyone on here is saying it's a bad ending because of any other reason than the fact that most of it was spoiled, I think you're nuts.

If you're let down because the big parts were spoiled, that's definitely valid. However, at face value, just looking at the key events of the ending, it's a significant closing to a prologue experience. Paz dead and Mother Base destroyed are pretty memorable events in the MGS timeline. I think they were handled well. I just agree with those that wonder why Kojima spoiled those plot points and images a year ago.

I guess it really does cement the fact that this game wasn't supposed to release separately from the Phantom Pain.

It's really just because journalists and Kojima kept hyping it up as some incredibly disturbing and heartbreaking scene that'll be constantly talked about.

Ishida

Banned
Anyone knows if all the cutscenes on the PS3/360 version are real-time? I mean, it would be too tempting to use the cutscenes of the PS4/Xbox One versions in pre-recorded form for visual enhancement.

Anyone with the game: Can you zoom/move the camera during cutscenes like in most MG games?

Ridley327

I never knew this was on PW, LMAO.

Yeah, one of the tapes you find from the high-rank AI battles (Monster Hunter terminology, I know) details with alarming amounts of elaboration of an encounter Paz had with Strangelove, who takes a rather strong liking to her.

Explains a lot about how screwed up Hal came out, at least!

Cubed

I hope any casual MGS players know what they're getting here. Imagine you went into the store and bought it not knowing and a little over an hour later you just sat through that ending. Yeah....

I'm trying to warn my friend who happens to be the type of person you are speaking of. I keep telling him that it's basically one mission with a few side missions set and the exact same camp and he won't believe the previews that state the main mission is only about two hours long. I mean, sure, he's like me and will replay the hell out of the game, but he just won't buy the fact that this is basically just a one mission prologue to PP.

Stubborn.

On this topic, I'm still really hyped for the game even having seen someone play through the main mission and having watched the end cutscene. I just really love the polish of the MGS games and can replay them, and experiment, through multiple playthroughs. Add in the fact that I will get this on PS4 for only $20 digitally, because I have $10 still saved from when I bought my PS4 and got the voucher, and I definitely think the game is worth that amount.

Guys, I can't stop crying. I finally saw the ending and it was absolutely heartbreaking, shocking, and many other superlative adjectives. Beloved paper-thin character Pacifica Ocean (Paz for you philistines) just meant so much to me.The only small comfort I can get from this unprecedented tragedy is that her ashes, as well as her organs, charred flesh, and bone fragments, were scattered over her namesake, the ocean.

Here's a transcript of the post credits dialogue if anyone's interested:

Skull Face: "Your favorite song. Nicola. Bart. Immigrants, wrongly executed. But their deaths served as a message to others. That ours is a society that murders the innocent. Do you too believe your sacrifice will change the world?"

*The song "Here's to you, Nicola and Bart" is playing.

Skull Face: "Cipher has been hiding ever since his grand experiment. No one's seen him in years. All we hear are orders delivered by proxy. Except you. You met with him, face to face, in order to contact Big Boss. Tell me where he is. Where is Cipher? Where is Zero?"

Skull Face: "I've never known choice. Where I was born, the language I speak, I never had the freedom to choose for myself. But you, right now, are free. Do as you will."

Paz: "This will save Big Boss?"

Skull Face: "It may."

Paz: "Will you really kill Zero for me?"

Skull Face: "Not for you."

Paz: "Alright. Zero is..." *sound of door slamming shut*

cackhyena

How so?
(my concern was specifically about BB, not the other characters)

Because if it's still something he does for one character, it's still his thing for them all. They all get long winded at some point. The idea that because it's Sutherland, he will only be able to use him sparingly shouldn't worry you. I highly doubt that's going to be an issue.

Is it ever explained why Chico has a headphone jack in his chest?

Not sure, I think there's some tapes of Chico going to the camp so it might be in there.

No, she pretended to be 16 for her cover. Her real age was 21. She even mentions her fear of beginning to look older than 16 in the tape where Strangelove gets all touchy-feely with her and a bottle of lotion.

I don't think she said a real age just she was playing a teenager.
But I don't know the laws of Colombia either.

cackhyena

But BB didn't know that Paz was lying about her age(did he?), I'm still gonna have to ask him to take a seat over there

2631409847.png

Ridley327

Call me crazy, but linking to a video in a thread with a community manager who has already stated that they're cracking down on videos and streams doesn't sound like the brightest idea.

Mr. X

Ending seems to be not very Metal Gear, the trailers showed like 80%. Nothing compared to Tanker Mission ending or Virtuous Mission ending. It's a weak cliffhanger.

B.K.

Call me crazy, but linking to a video in a thread with a community manager who has already stated that they're cracking down on videos and streams doesn't sound like the brightest idea.

What? When did GAF start banning streams and videos?

Ishida

Banned
Ending seems to be not very Metal Gear, the trailers showed like 80%. Nothing compared to Tanker Mission ending or Virtuous Mission ending. It's a weak cliffhanger.

I would have prefered if the Mother Base destruction part was playable, but otherwise I enjoyed the ending.

Also, I'm one of the Kiefer "haters" (Don't hate him, but don't like him voicing Snake either). However I felt like Snake needed to speak more. We only hear few lines from him in the entire thing...

DVCY201

I just got around to seeing the ending, and I enjoyed it! But, for pacing purposes I would much rather start the Phantom Pain right after, than breaking it into two releases.

I liked the music and VA, Kiefer sounds similar to Richard Doyle's performance, only younger. But, I'll have to listen to it more. Aldo I'm really enjoying the cinematogrophy! It feels more dynamic than the usual cutscenes, so I hope the full game carries that.

In the end credits, Skullface makes a distinctive reference to Nicola And Bart in the end -- two outspoken anarchists in the 1920's who were wrongfully tried and executed for crimes they did not commit. Then the credits proceed to play this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oday_Fc-Gc. I get the sneaking suspicion that The Phantom Pain will be loosely inspired by the events surrounding Nicola and Bart's wrongful accusation, with a hint of Melville's Moby Dick ("call me Ishmael").

NYR94

The cliffhanger is weak because we know Big Boss and Kaz survive.

Skull Face sounds better in the credits than he did in the first trailer. Maybe I'm just getting used to the voice.

Trike

Ending was inaccurate. My mother base was all females. Sad to see that the lamest of the rumored endings was true. Keifer isn't good as Big Boss. Seemed uninspired from the few lines I heard in the ending. Still interested in the story, so I may pick this up when it is $15 or less.
Or when it comes bundled with MGSV.

Top Bottom