• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

Ridley327

Given PW's sales in US/Europe, I think they just went with "eh who cares whatever she's dying here anyway". Besides, NANOMACHINE HYPNOSIS was supposed to evoke a similar turnaround, and that was over four/five games.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too shocked if the crappy performance of the game outside of Japan had a big hand in this. Still, I can't get down with this, even if PW does deserve to be retconned for being dumber than MGS4.

Ishida

Banned
So I got GZs, here's proof...Heading off now...let me know if you guys have any questions...

5hnEVNc

L9EFRDP

If possible, record a video of the ending, credits and phone call included and upload it somewhere.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Thanks for the ending synopsis people.

Sound pretty lukewarm. Reminds me of the foreboding endings for the Tanker and Virtuous Mission, but not as exciting and memorable.

Just to note, we're currently working to take down videos posted of the game prior to March 18th (the game's official launch date), so we strongly urge against sharing gameplay and cutscene footage before that time.

Bio-Frost

Just to note, we're currently working with Twitch and PlayStation to take down videos posted of the game prior to March 18th (the game's official launch date), so we strongly urge against sharing gameplay and cutscene footage before that time.

Will the block be removed that prevents you from streaming the ending after the official release date?

Boke1879

Just to note, we're currently working to take down videos posted of the game prior to March 18th (the game's official launch date), so we strongly urge against sharing gameplay and cutscene footage before that time.

Will people be able to see cutscenes on March 18th that are currently being blocked on the PS4's streaming feature?

Sub_Level

Sound pretty lukewarm. Reminds me of the foreboding endings for the Tanker and Virtuous Mission, but not as exciting and memorable.

Sub_Level

Will people be able to see cutscenes on March 18th that are currently being blocked on the PS4's streaming feature?

On release day you will be able to watch all the cutscenes and listen to all the tapes on youtube anyway.

So is Paz going to be Psycho Mantis? That would be kind of fucking awesome.

Ridley327

There just not enough build-up to GZ's climax. I imagine it's even worse for people who didn't play PW, just because there's going to be no attachment to
Mother Base and what its destruction means.

Nothing is ever going to top the Tanker's climax, but I just don't see how GZ's is going to provoke the kind of response that some previews have suggested it will.

Spaghetti

decided to spoil myself and check in here

i want to see the context for the ending, but that does sounds pretty underwhelming. if the load hadn't been blown with the extended e3 trailer it might have had more impact

the small bits of gameplay i saw on streams were pretty cool though, reflex mode seems to have too large a window though. if konami are gleaning ground zeroes impressions for the phantom pain, they might want to consider trimming down the length of time reflex mode is active for.

i'm not really interested in seeing the ending or much more gameplay, but i do want to hear the new version of heavens divide.

Jb

I love the tracks that play A) when you're carrying Paz and haven't been detected & B) when you have and make a run for the LZ. Not sure if it's HGW or another composer, but it's really cool and different from previous MGS gameplay music.

Neuro

Here are my impressions of the game, I will hide the spoilers

The menu screen has a number of options including a backstory, this essentially shows the events of PW

This game looks incredible, I have seen a lot of videos but the amount of detail in the character models in the first cutscene is incredible...the transition/level of fidelity between the cutscene and the actual game is seamless

Having said that there are a few hiccups, this became apparent when look at the textures on the grass, they look incredibly flat, maybe PP will have more details

Once you begin there is very little hand holding, took me sometime to get used to the controls of the game, Snake's movements do feel a bit stiff and abrupt sometimes but it looks really good in motion

Pause button is on the lower left hand corner of the touchpad

Sound plays an important role, so I was on the edge of this spotlight and when it was near me there was a screeching sound to tell me that I was in danger of being spotted...

I quickly moved away and equipped my binoculars which Miller tells me has a microphone built in to hear enemy conversations

Went upto the first guard tower climbed it and started to interrogate the enemy, now when you are interrogating the enemy you have a series of options either to extract information on the other soldiers on the map or ask him to call for help...

Pause button is on the lower left hand corner of the touchpad

I noticed this from the stream, a couple of people were having difficulty pausing it when they meant to bring up the idroid. (lower right, correct?)
What is OPTIONS used for in this case?
Thanks for impressions, I thought binocs might have a d-mic in them from the recent video, and seeing as Snake only has one eye you could stick the mic in the right half :p

Neuro

I noticed this from the stream, a couple of people were having difficulty pausing it when they meant to bring up the idroid. (lower right, correct?)
What is OPTIONS used for in this case?

Idroid can be brought up either using the lower right hand corner of the touchpad or the options button

More stuff...Miller keeps telling you about enemies in the game, so there was a second spotlight and Miller says "Eyes open boss"

Spaghetti

I believe that's part of the 25th Anniversary Peace Walker Medley.
bah, already heard it then

i'd love a snake eater, calling to the night, heavens divide, sins of the father medley in the phantom pain though. fuck it, even just a proper snake eater reprise instead of the piano version from peace walker.

cackhyena

I love the tracks that play A) when you're carrying Paz and haven't been detected & B) when you have and make a run for the LZ. Not sure if it's HGW or another composer, but it's really cool and different from previous MGS gameplay music.

That thumping when you go to an LZ reminds me of carpenter movie music. Escape from NY, The Thing, etc.

Well that ending sounds incredibly underwhelming.

Why not have a gameplay portion on Mother Base shooting Skull Face's lot for a bit or something? A boss fight against a helicopter on one of Mother Base's landing pads? Anything??

Neuro

Neuro, any dogs outside of cutscenes?

Not encountered any yet, will let ya guys know if I see any

I have been trying to play through the game through different play styles, so I encountered a random guard patrol while I was hiding out on the roof, when I used my binoculars to listen in to the conversation they said something about heading out to the west end of the camp...Now I dont know if this was scripted in that manner or was it random given the open world nature of the game

The other interesting thing I noticed was there is a lot of backstory of the game which is hidden in the tape recorders, each of them are around 1:29 and can be played while playing through the game, so instead of lengthy cutscenes telling you about the story this is a different way to tell a story

One thing I was a little disappointed in the game was that there are a number of buildings/huts in the game, sadly you cant enter any one of them...

Mask

I'm surprised the ending hasn't leaked yet.

Watching the streams is getting me antsy, and theres almost no chance of me getting this early in the UK. All the independant game shops nearby were killed by Game years ago..

Alienous

Well damn. Big Boss mows enemy soldiers down in the ending. That kind of fucks up the "I didn't kill anyone" thing previous Metal Gear Solid games had going for them, at least from a character perspective.

Musolf815

Yeah :/ I guess I expected more when I read:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ends with one of the most disturbing scenes I’ve ever seen in a game. It’s gross, it’s violent, it’s painful, it’s heartbreaking, and it’s something I won’t spoil here. But it’s going to draw attention.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/metal-gear-solid-5s-disturbing-scenes-must-go-to-the-limit

Well damn. Big Boss mows enemy soldiers down in the ending. That kind of fucks up the "I didn't kill anyone" thing previous Metal Gear Solid games had going for them, at least from a character perspective.

He kills zadoornob at the end of Peace Walker. I know what you mean tho. Really he should have detonated a fulton bomb that airlifts the entire fleet of enemy troops away in an instant.

Jackpot

Banned

Just to note, we don't care about your inflexible marketing plan that says we can't see footage of the very product we're buying and to even try to take down a video of us playing something we own is an insult to the consumer.

BadHand

The only option left is to launch this game a week early.

Danny 117

Just to note, we don't care about your inflexible marketing plan that says we can't see footage of the very product we're buying and to even try to take down a video of us playing something we own is an insult to the consumer.

Oh shit!

I agree with you though. I respect ToraShiro but it's not like we're gonna bow down to Konami over this.

I was seeing all the streams and videos going down one after another and was wondering how that is possible?

Assuming no monetization is in place, streaming/uploading videos of yourself playing games with commentary is generally legal, isn't it? Then how can you forbid people from doing that if they legally bought the game, just because it's not some arbitrary date yet?

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'd like to hear if there are legal grounds for doing so.
To be fair, I can see how Konami wouldn't want streams before release, if only because everything I've seen (2 full playthroughs + ending) feeds a lot more into the "paid demo" narrative than the "almost a full game" one.
Yeah I can see why they wouldn't want it, which doesn't speak very highly about the game or its value proposition.

To be fair, I can see how Konami wouldn't want streams before release, if only because everything I've seen (2 full playthroughs + ending) feeds a lot more into the "paid demo" narrative than the "almost a full game" one.

Oh shit!

I agree with you though. I respect ToraShiro but it's not like we're gonna bow down to Konami over this.

Thanks for the respect. I'm just the messenger and I thought that with the streams and what not people might want a friendly heads-up about what's going on.

Not asking for anyone to bow down. Just letting people know what's up. Is this really a surprise for breaking street date? Titanfall is taking the same precautions with games that are out in the channel already.

cackhyena

For the first time, I'm actually hoping Splinter Cell takes something from MGS. The open world like nature of these levels. Blow it out for next gen with massive buildings to navigate as well.

Peff

Thanks for the respect. I'm just the messenger and I thought that with the streams and what not people might want a friendly heads-up about what's going on.

Not asking for anyone to bow down. Just letting people know what's up.

Can you turn off that record stuff that pops up to the left? "Longest range headshot", "Farthest distance thrown", etc.

EDIT

For the first time, I'm actually hoping Splinter Cell takes something from MGS. The open world like nature of these levels. Blow it out for next gen with massive buildings to navigate as well.

It's more limited, especially compared to what we're being told Phantom Pain will be, but Blacklist has some similar levels.

Furyous

I have a couple questions for game owners:

Can you turn off the power during the day?
Can you turn off power in the entire base or parts of it?
What aircraft can you hijack?
Can you blow up the food storage facility like MGS3?
Can you blow up the armory?
Can you blow up the barracks and stop reinforcements?
Is there a way to disrupt the communication system?
What are the collectibles outside of patches and cassette tapes?

Top Bottom