• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

JackelZXA

I started getting invaded before I'd even done any myself.

Have you started the game over or are you on your first playthrough? I'm wondering if that somehow messes with whatever algorithm konami has set up? (I'm actually genuinely curious why I haven't gotten a single invasion on this second run)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Have you started the game over or are you on your first playthrough? I'm wondering if that somehow messes with whatever algorithm konami has set up? (I'm actually genuinely curious why I haven't gotten a single invasion on this second run)

I strongly suspect your mileage is going to vary based on what platform you're on. The availability of hacks on PC will no doubt have some impact, as will the absence of MGO as an alternative method of PvP competition.

Chev

Se my post further up.
As long as you select Decline on the game startup screen you will be fine. No taxes will be taken, you can just play the game and never have to deal with anything.

I tried that and seem to have been hit with a resource cap anyway.

JackelZXA

I strongly suspect your mileage is going to vary based on what platform you're on. The availability of hacks on PC will no doubt have some impact, as will the absence of MGO as an alternative method of PvP competition.

That...probably makes a lot of sense then. Most of the console people are probably doing mgo, and not bothering to log into the base TPP game anyways so they aren't doing fob's (unless they get alerted to an invasion i guess?) So that makes alot of sense.

Makes me wonder if that'll have an impact on whether the nuclear abolishment cutscene ever triggers, though. Still, that would be a good argument for the sting of FOB invasions being muffled by this point on consoles. Avoiding the online component to TPP kind of doesn't matter unless you're on PC, I guess?

KyleCross

So how do I use my GMP that's been moved online?

Is it still available to me regularly for R&D or base building?

You gotta be online to use them. If you disconnect then you instantly lose access to those resources. Once those resources are moved online there's no way to use them offline.

All you have to do to avoid the offline tax is select decline on this screen during startup.
So many people seem to not read the OP.

The title alone is contributing to a lot of that, but yeah, half the comments that pop up are grossly misinformed.

I do wish they figured out a way to do maintenance differently, it definitely sucks getting hit with that guaranteed offline :\

So FOB never interested me, and I never did it. I beat the game still and saw the true ending.

Did I miss anything of significance?

If you decline the ToS, are you forever banished from online? Or can I come back to it later after beating the main story? (Wanna get the required online trophies for 100%).

Roni

Gold Member
It's pretty easy to get supporters and support other people and it's all benefit. You get a ridiculous amount of gmp for defending a supporter and more often than not you don't even have to do anything. I'm also pretty sure you can retaliate against both successful and unsuccessful infiltrations.

You can't retaliate if a wormhole isn't opened. And one only opens if the player deals massive damage to your forces. You can't always retaliate. In fact, I myself use tranquilizers so that the player is never alerted to my presence (even if he is online) and to deliberately avoid wormholes.

you really don't have to retaliate at all. you can largely ignore the FOB stuff. and not very many soldiers or resources can be taken from you. all you have to do is..

I play FOB's, so I clearly don't mind this. I'm just stating I know where the people who dislike it are coming from. They do have merits in their arguments.

Except not, you can just beef up security and carry on your merry way.

Oh, please... FOB invasions are incredibly easy on PC. Using a mouse I can headshot 6-8 guys in a single Reflex using a non-lethal weapon, I'm sure there are people who can do even better. Security forces are mostly useless at higher tiers in the meta game.

So FOB never interested me, and I never did it. I beat the game still and saw the true ending.

Did I miss anything of significance?
not really... maybe just one small cutscene when you're first invaded by another player

i mean, FOBs are a pretty big gameplay part of the game as a whole, and affect your progress a fair bit, so you are missing a big part of the content and gameplay of the game as a whole (which is OK though if you have no genuine interest in it), but there's no real significance to the actual story.

Coreda

So, completed mission 22 which interrupts mission 21 at the beginning, and it turns out you can't construct FOBs offline anyway. Problem avoided.

If I decide to construct one in online mode at least I know not to complete the tutorial if I want to avoid invasions. There have been zero additional notifications about it, either.

QFYox78.jpg
6E1ClrN.jpg

Jebral

So, completed mission 22 which interrupts mission 21 at the beginning, and it turns out you can't construct FOBs offline anyway. Problem avoided.

If I decide to construct one in online mode at least I know not to complete the tutorial if I want to avoid invasions. There have been zero additional notifications about it, either.

It will only nag you if you go online in your chopper, otherwise it's all good.

WTF is going on here?
I'm on mission 19. I log off with 400k GMP last night. Tonight I log on and I'm 250k in debt with Ocelot moaning about people leaving unless I get more money.
This happened earlier this week when I was on mission 17. Log off in the black. Log on I'm the red.
Why am I losing GMP?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
WTF is going on here?
I'm on mission 19. I log off with 400k GMP last night. Tonight I log on and I'm 250k in debt with Ocelot moaning about people leaving unless I get more money.
This happened earlier this week when I was on mission 17. Log off in the black. Log on I'm the red.
Why am I losing GMP?

Happened to me too... Very weird... Mission 10, no FOB yet, but let the game alone for a few days and I resumed woth negative GMP :/.

JackelZXA

Rorie on the giant bomb unprofessional fridays said he's played the entire game offline (he started only a few weeks ago) and he hasn't invaded anyone and hasn't gotten invaded. Combined with my second playthrough experiences, I think it might be something they changed in the game since launch. If you don't invade at all in your file, you won't get targeted, but only if you've started a new game in the current state of the game I guess?

myco666

WTF is going on here?
Why am I losing GMP?

I had similiar thing happen to me. Had 2 million GMP when quitting the game and -400k GMP red when logging back in. There apparently isn't any reason for it. Only thing I can think is someone invading your FOB but since you don't have one and I lost money even when I wasn't invaded at all it isn't the case here. Just hope that it won't happen again.

According to Rorie at the Giant Bomb UPF stream, the FOB stuff where they 'take away' your stuff and put it in the FOB inventory was patched out?

nah you still can't actually use anything while offline if that's the only change.

but it's an improvement I guess

I almost want to dig up some post from people defending the selling restrictions with in-game economy reasons

nah you still can't actually use anything while offline if that's the only change.

but it's an improvement I guess

I almost want to dig up some post from people defending the selling restrictions with in-game economy reasons
yeah and just affects resources... don't think that fixes the GMP transfers

Top Bottom