• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

Dranakin

Because offline vehicles are capped at 3.

Can confirm. I'm not even close to where you start to access FOBs (mission 12), but after the latest patch or so, my 50+ vehicles and resources above 50,000 are gone for offline access. When I sell all three jeeps, for example, I have to reconnect online in order to access another set of three to sell.

Gorillaz

it honestly comes off as a very childish "fuck you were going to get all we can out of this before the well dries up" move

Game of the year.

it currently is still my game of the year so far

edit: breh is literally losing money for each disconnect too? that shit feels a little questionable now

That's not what is happening. It's not that I'm hitting a GMP limit and then the excess carries over to online. I lose 250000 GMP (fixed amount) every time I disconnect. Literally.

I just wanted to finish the story and side ops before doing FOBs. Please don't do that.

Hmm, that sounds different than others have said. I can't explain that and that does suck.

I recall previously having 18 jeeps offline, only I only see 3.

so you have 3 jeeps offline/15 online right? say you sold the 3 jeeps, and you have 0 jeeps offline/15 online...after a certain period of time (i have no idea how much), you will have 3 jeeps offline/12 online. i never sold a single item until after the patch. and now i'm down to almost no resources, and none of them are online. overtime after you sell things, online resources get shifted into offline resources. i've even notices fuel and other resources being shifted from online to offline.

don't get me wrong. i'm totally against this shit. but it does not largely affect one's ability to play the game as a single player experience. just don't build up your FOB

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you've gone past a certain point you have "online" resources.

You're just seeing your online stuff not show up because you're not online anymore. The game automatically puts some of your stuff to online after the FOB mission. Then after that you earn offline stuff and online stuff through different things.

No, since the 1.04 (1.05?) patch Konami has taken previous offline collected stuff and put it into ONLINE resources. Stuff like 30+ Jeeps are now 1-3 offline 27-29 ONLINE.

This means if you sync up past that patch point your resources are now tied to F.O.B. functions. This is to try to get people to buy MB coins to buy F.O.B. insurance to protect from losses.

FucKona--- ugh, nevermind.

I can't even muster it anymore.
Damn 'em. Damn 'em all to hell.
I'm done.

fly%20away%20fuck.gif

Mobile games haven't had any negative effect on the games industry, right?

II am so disappointed in this. Konami management wanting the fob game to be a clash of clans clone. Who cares.

FranXico

Can confirm. I'm not even close to where you start to access FOBs (mission 12), but after I latest patch or so, my 50+ vehicles and resources above 50,000 are gone for offline access. When I sell all three jeeps, for example, I have to reconnect online in order to access another set of three to sell.

That certainly explains the vehicles and turrets.
Can you disconnect at startup outside the ACC and confirm if you see the same amount of GMP deduced?

hamchan

I wonder how they rationalised this. It's just downright crazy. It retroactively ruins the game for any replays.

Is it on all platforms?

This isn't because of mobile. It's all on Konami.

Their rationalization is that they are Konami and give no fucks about this video game thing anymore, so might as well try to bleed it dry one last time.

They probably saw a whole lot of people not bother with the FOB stuff, so now they're actively forcing you to go online by limiting your resources offline, hoping that more people see the F2P mechanics and get hooked on it. It's pretty fucked up from them, fuck Konami.

Haunted

If you've gone past a certain point you have "online" resources.

You're just seeing your online stuff not show up because you're not online anymore. The game automatically puts some of your stuff to online after the FOB mission. Then after that you earn offline stuff and online stuff through different things.
They're putting your resources online to increase the risk of you getting invaded/robbed. Basically, they're not allowing you to safely store your money and resources offline with the latest patch, to keep up the threat generation (that is ultimately designed to push you towards buying insurance or additional FOBs with real money).

Remember this stuff when goty deliberation time comes around, people.

I wonder how they rationalised this. It's just downright crazy. It retroactively ruins the game for any replays.

Is it on all platforms?

This isn't because of mobile. It's all on Konami.

It's because schemes like this work in the mobile space and are very common among the most successful mobile games that konami is doing it.

It's a fine example of the negative influence of the mobile games business. No part of this business is entirely good or entirely bad.

They're putting your resources online to increase the risk of you getting invaded/robbed.

Basically, they're not allowing you to safely store your money and resources offline with the latest patch, to keep up the threat generation (that is ultimately designed to push you towards buying that insurance).
Thank you for this post. Was going to pick it up for $20, but not worth the effort. Disgaea 5 lets me play offline just fine.

Kusagari

This might be the most insidious thing we've seen yet regarding micro transactions.

Konami is basically retooling the game to try to get people to buy into a plan for fake fucking insurance.

Just me or anyone else feels they're going to add a Heroism tax soon enough so we won't even get decent staff if we play offline?

it honestly comes off as a very childish "fuck you were going to get all we can out of this before the well dries up" move

That pretty much sums it up. I won't even be surprised if they released a F2P MGO after a year or two with microtransactions to level up, or something similarly ridiculous.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Kojima better not have had anything to do with this. Last metal gear getting pillaged and destroyed by this bullshit. Too bad, it all started out pretty great.

Minions

Glad I powered through MGS5 before the game got worse and worse. If I had not beaten the game ordered from a local retailer I'd honestly consider take the game back and ask for a refund. They are intentionally making playing the game as annoying as possible.

Haunted

I'm quite happy I managed to finish the game and get all the enjoyment I wanted out of it before their more aggressive monetisation system really started to get going.

If I ever replay this game a couple years down the road, I'll make sure it's the PC version and using cheatengine.

This might be the most insidious thing we've seen yet regarding micro transactions.

Konami is basically retooling the game to try to get people to buy into a plan for fake fucking insurance.
As others have pointed out, this is quite common in the F2P mobile space.

People react more incredulously to this because this might the first time this exploitative and cynical manipulation is applied to such a high-profile project in the AAA space, though.

Glad I'm done with the game then. I mostly enjoyed my time with the game but all the problems with it have left such a bad taste in my mouth. I played offline because I wasn't interested in the fob stuff and playing online slowed a bunch of the menus down to a crawl.

VillageBC

They're putting your resources online to increase the risk of you getting invaded/robbed. Basically, they're not allowing you to safely store your money and resources offline with the latest patch, to keep up the threat generation (that is ultimately designed to push you towards buying insurance or additional FOBs with real money).

Remember this stuff when goty deliberation time comes around, people.

I think we need a new award and we'll name it the BOotY award. Bend Over of the Year, given to the game most designed to screw you over.

The BOoTY Award (tm), who should this years nominees be?

Like I said, the game automatically shifts some of your resources to online. This happened in the last patch. Some of your GMP is online, when you play offline you can't use it.
What a shitty piece of game design.
I can't fully explain it but I think the whole playing offline thing is silly. Irrational fear.
Who gives a hoot what you think? People should be able to play the game how they want.

Glad I finished the game and sold it off before they introduced this stupidity.

Kojima better not have had anything to do with this. Last metal gear getting pillaged and destroyed by this bullshit. Too bad, it all started out pretty great.

I'd like to think that the tension between them came from the company trying to control the design of the game to make this happen. We heard they were tampering with production not long ago which raised some flags. It just didn't seem like something Kojima would want to do, I didn't feel like I was playing one of his games despite the good play mechanics.

Grimsen

Yup. Your resources and GMP are not lost, they're just online. It's pretty scummy, they're forcing everyone to put stuff at risk for their goddamn FOB money scheme.

Still a great game, but I've stopped giving a fuck about my resources because of the online.

It sure makes me feel not as bad for using CheatEngine on it when I was playing solo for myself. Not that I felt terrible in the first place circumnavigating their bullshit timers, but it's just icing on the cake.

I wonder if this applies to my game, as I used my firewall the entire time to block any connection for the game (because I didn't want to deal with FOBs).

Haunted

Oh man, it's gonna be such a fun day for the people in charge of this decision when the GOTY awards come rolling in despite all this.

JackelZXA

After playing for a while on a fresh save file, I think the online stuff filters into your offline stuff after a while to fill up to a point? I had 13,000,000 from using the daily mb coins i had to trigger those "USE MB COINS EVENTS" which is insane on it's own, and it went straight to online gmp. But then I logged back in 2 days later and played some missions while online and realized that my local gmp had gone up to 13 mil. My cars and sellable emplacements also trickle down into offline from my online, so I think the only thing that's happening for me on my end after all the math works out is that I can only sell a couple of these items every so often, and then I can sell more after it gets refilled. I can see that argued as a balancing act.

The only thing I don't like about it is the FOB insurance, which should really just be GMP based if at all. I have a good deal of daily bonus mb coins by this point so even if i wanted to use this dumb feature i could afford it without buying any MB coins, but it's still a shit-tier idea that feels nakedly exploitative.

I haven't got invaded all week, though. I put zero staff in my fob security detail and haven't invaded anyone, so I'm wondering if there's some sort of tier system that keeps me from cropping up on invasion target lists if I'm not invading anyone myself? Do you only lose online resources now? If so, then I guess SOME of my stuff would be considered safe forever? What about staff? If I don't have anyone set under Security Force right now, so do I still lose people?

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm just glad I finished the game quick before all the patches hit. I was fortunate enough to never get invaded.

Jesus christ Konami (if real and not some sort of bug).

A statement like "I think the whole playing offline thing is silly" is meaningless and adds nothing to a discussion. I don't care what you think about playing offline. I should be able to play the game how I want, full stop, period, the end, end of debate.
Well he thinks buying increased drop rates in Destiny is ok so... (no it turns out Bungie is not selling them).

Montresor

Now that you can get invaded and because of this thread I'm not even going to bother playing this game. I'm being 100% serious. I really liked Ground Zeroes too. *shrug*

Meffer

I noticed too. I started the game in online mode to get my daily reward then I switched to offline mode. I then noticed I lost a good chunk of my GMP and I didn't get to FOB stuff yet in the game.

JackelZXA

Yup. Your resources and GMP are not lost, they're just online. It's pretty scummy, they're forcing everyone to put stuff at risk for their goddamn FOB money scheme.

Still a great game, but I've stopped giving a fuck about my resources because of the online.

If they hadn't tied real money to FOB shit then it would be....not gross. Like...rebalancing the game to force people into the invasion mechanic is defensible if you take MB Coins shit out of it, and I wonder how many people are even using the real money at all? (I hope ZERO)

lawnchair

Banned
my goty right now

i am not afraid of losing my online resources, im not buying any insurance, come at me, take every videogame jeep i own see if i care

goty. im serious

Garlador

Konami seems hell-bent on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with this game.

I mean, they made (2/3rds of) one of the greatest games of this generation... and then every single decision since then has been an insanely aggressive "screw you" to the players and employees who made it ever since.

It's like their allergic to fan love.

Top Bottom