• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

FranXico

UPDATE: As others have suggested, I tried actually rejecting the ToS as soon as the game boots, and this way, the game won't deduce/transfer anything. I guess I allowed the login out of habit from the time I could acquire login bonuses, before the the game tried to force FOB on me. Thank you guys. In conclusion, the moment the game contacts the server, resources are "distributed" regardless of whether you have actually built an FOB or not. This still is scummy on Konami's part, but there is one way out.

I just realised something, don't know if anyone else noticed, but Konami appears to have patched in an offline tax.

I just realised this today. Whenever I boot the game, and ever since mission 22 (MB rescue mission) I always go offline before anything else, so I'm even bypassing the FOB tutorial.

Very recently, as soon as I do this, I get subtracted 250000 GMP, all my placement guns are automatically limited to 6 of each and all my vehicles to 3 of each. Basically, all sorts of things that took a long time to collect in game, and offline, just disappear.

The only reason I noticed this is because I normally start in the ACC, but when I restarted my game while Snake was in Motherbase, a prompt in the corner informing me of a 250000GMP expense showed up, and I then noticed a pattern. I later realised that the "tax" is also paid even if you are in the ACC, there is just no warning about it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

This truly is a new low for Konami. I'm pretty sure this new "feature" was not mentioned in the patch notes.

Not even freaking Dungeon Keeper Mobile scammed players like this!

If you've gone past a certain point you have "online" resources.

You're just seeing your online stuff not show up because you're not online anymore. The game automatically puts some of your stuff to online after the FOB mission. Then after that you earn offline stuff and online stuff through different things.

2736381-0605028003-CAjpA.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
It's Konami bruh. Nobody is surprised by any shit they pull. Which is why they can fuck right off and leave this industry.

FranXico

You're just seeing your online stuff not show up because you're not online anymore. The game automatically puts some of your stuff to online after the FOB mission. Then after that you earn offline stuff and online stuff through different things.

I did not build any FOB, I quit the game before the entire FOB tutorial could even take place (including actually building the base) the first time, and have always been disconnecting at start since.

I did not build any FOB, I quit the game before the entire FOB tutorial could even take place the first time, and have always been disconnecting at start since.

Well then it starts even earlier than I thought. Either way it's offline/online resources. You earn resources for offline/online from different activities. Some dispatch missions have offline stuff, some have online stuff.

Renewed

...all my placement guns are automatically limited to 6 of each and all my vehicles to 3 of each.

I noticed that my vehicles are capped at 3 offline, while the rest are held online. But I didn't get any of this tax business since I went through with FOB stuff way back. I'll have to take a second look now...

FranXico

Well then it starts even earlier than I thought. Either way it's offline/online resources. You earn resources for offline/online from different activities. Some dispatch missions have offline stuff, some have online stuff.

I only have offline resources, and they are disappearing without any events to go with it.

resources such as vehicles and turrets ARE limited to 3 or 6, but it's not permanent. if you sell say...3 trucks, when you come back later you can sell 3 more

I only have offline resources, and they are disappearing without any events to go with it.

Like I said, the game automatically shifts some of your resources to online. This happened in the last patch. Some of your GMP is online, when you play offline you can't use it. I can't fully explain it but I think the whole playing offline thing is silly. Irrational fear.

What happens if you boot in, disconnect, play a mission, save and then restart your machine? Do you get dinged every time, i.e. does it stack? If so...man.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I don't think I am, it's just offline vs online stuff. It's not really a tax that hits you over and over again.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I did not build any FOB, I quit the game before the entire FOB tutorial could even take place (including actually building the base) the first time, and have always been disconnecting at start since.
What happens if you boot in, disconnect, play a mission, save and then restart your machine? Do you get dinged every time, i.e. does it stack? If so...man.

sikkinixx

I keep declining the online agreement so I'm always offline. Keep that stupid shit the fuck out of my game. Sounds like they're punishing people for doing things that way which makes me even less likely to start playing the game again.

I recall previously having 18 jeeps offline, only I only see 3.

Because offline vehicles are capped at 3. The rest of your stuff is 'online'. He's saying, if you sell 3, and come back later, you'll have 3 more as they'll shift from online to offline. I haven't tested this but that's how I think it works.

FranXico

That's right, my vehicles and weapons are always capped at start and I'm dripping GMP every time I start up offline.

jabuseika

Pretty sure after the last patch Konami decrease the amount of resources you can have offline, and shifted more resources to the online FOB.

Of course they also introduced Online Insurance for resources in the FOBs.

FuckKonami

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Good grief. Thank god I finished the game right before the patch, because this looks almost unplayable if you want to avoid the FOB nonsense. Fuck Konami.

Shaanyboi

Banned
...What the fuck.

What the fucking fuck.

Fuck this, I am being increasingly incentivized to not even bother finishing this thing.

hamchan

Like I said, the game automatically shifts some of your resources to online. This happened in the last patch. Some of your GMP is online, when you play offline you can't use it. I can't fully explain it but I think the whole playing offline thing is silly. Irrational fear.

That is TERRIBLE.

Yeah it's becoming a pain. I just lost like 1m GMP when I closed and restarted the game within 2 minutes just to check the losses after seeing this thread.

They're even semi bribing you in an ongoing event to get MB coins by rewarding people who use MB coins to finish FOB expansions. You get GMP and A/S ranked staff or something.

FranXico

Are you ever at risk of going into the negatives? Like you are actually losing 250000 GMP every single time? If so...

I edited my comment. As long as you keep playing, you can accumulate as many vehicles of each as you like. However, as soon as you restart the game and disconnect, you only see 3 of each.

Omega

Banned
...What the fuck.

What the fucking fuck.

Fuck this, I am being increasingly incentivized to not even bother finishing this thing.

this is what does it? the game was pretty mediocre, and apparently i didn't even make it to the "bad" half of the game

I edited my comment. As long as you keep playing, you can accumulate as many vehicles of each as you like. However, as soon as you restart the game and disconnect, you only see 3 of each.

So you have to reaccumulate everything past 3, every time you start over, if you don't want to play online.

That's some fucking bullshit.

So you have to reaccumulate everything past 3, every time you start over, if you don't want to play online.

That's some fucking bullshit.

Not sure. If he starts a mission and has 3/3 of vehicle A and extracts 2 of them, I'm not sure if they go into limbo, waiting to connect to online or if they just don't extract.

If he sells 3 of vehicle A, he can go get 3 more. Sell them, go get 3 more, etc.

213372bu

Banned
More importantly now all my vehicle shit is tied online without extraneous means of getting them back.

Which means all those sellable vehicles are no longer sellable without having to go get them back.

I mean my FOB is heavily defended, but this is BS.

Astery

that's the way of konami holding people hostage of their resources by resources getting split to online from 1.04 patch (along with the MGO patch if you are on consoles).

It's underplayed by Konami (and they have successfully switch the focus to FOB insurance- which is imo just half as bad as this). I've called their shit out but people are just busy focusing on FOB insurance or say it's not a big deal. Well it isn't such a big deal indeed if you just follow Konami and opt into online, hence FOB, and open up the hellhole.

Neff

Last night when I declined to purchase a new FOB location, the disc ejected itself violently from my PS4 and killed my dog. I won't be doing that again.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Konami is actively fucking up what could and should have been one of the best games ever made.

This is as heartbreaking as if Ocarina of Time was somehow updated to severely limit the amount of rupees and made you buy "rupees packs" with real money.

that's the way of konami holding people hostage of their resources by resources getting split to online from 1.04 patch (along with the MGO patch of you are on consoles).

It's underplayed by Konami (and they have successfully switch the focus to FOB insurance- which is imo just half as bad as this). I've called their shit out but people are just busy focusing on FOB insurance or say it's not a big deal.

Plenty of people bitch about it as you can see this thread. I think playing online without insurance isn't a big deal. But I'm clearly in the minority on this.

Konami is actively fucking up what could and should have been one of the best games ever made.

This is as heartbreaking as if Ocarina of Time was somehow updated to severely limit the amount of rupees and made you buy "rupees packs" with real money.

Gameplay is still some of the best I've ever played but lol, no. The Konami/Kojima drama prevented this game from being god tier.

FranXico

Some of your GMP is online, when you play offline you can't use it. I can't fully explain it but I think the whole playing offline thing is silly. Irrational fear.

That's not what is happening. It's not that I'm hitting a GMP limit and then the excess carries over to online. I lose 250000 GMP (fixed amount) every time I disconnect. Literally.

I just wanted to finish the story and side ops before doing FOBs. Please don't do that.

Top Bottom