• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

MH3U adds cross-region and off-TV play [Wii U]

luffeN

Sep 13, 2006
We’re pleased to confirm that a software update will be released in April for the Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as a response to Capcom community feedback.

The software update will add online cross-region functionality, allowing European and North American gamers to play together online in up to four-player battles*. Monster Hunters will also be able to play the game using just the Wii U GamePad without the need for a TV screen as the software update makes the title compatible with off-TV play.

Capcom will be continuing to support Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for several months after release with additional free of charge downloadable quests for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. The first quest will be available at launch.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate releases across Europe on 22 March for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS™, both at retail as well as on Nintendo eShop.

* Online play for gamers in Europe and North America will be completely free to play, although broadband Internet charges still apply.

Edit: Source is capcom PR mail.

Edit 2: Why should I make that up? xD
Capcom PR Mail said:

Aeana

Jul 10, 2006
Ooh, that's good news indeed. Off-TV play makes the Wii U version much more appealing to me.

methodman

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
san jose
oh wow. off tv play and cross region? that's awesome! well done capcom. ill buy this for sure now, the demo was fun as hell

Xater

Jul 28, 2007
This is great news! Big thumbs up to Capcom for the support this game seems t be getting.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nov 1, 2009
MY MIND

IS BLOWN

ALL PRAISE CAPCOM

Fandangox

Jan 15, 2013
Was on the fence abut this, I think I will get it now.

Now if I can only fix my Wii U's connectivity problems...

Omikaru

May 28, 2006
Off TV play and cross-region online is good. Glad to see Capcom have been reading reactions.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sep 9, 2006
3DS version just died for me. WiiU purchase justified.

frankie_baby

May 3, 2007
so i hope all those who said they weren't buying it anymore because of the region lock multiplayer are gonna buy now

Mupod

Jun 12, 2011
Toronto
The cross-region thing is great news, although I don't see myself personally using off-screen play. This DOES basically answer my question regarding whether the full version can route all game sound to the Gamepad's headphone output, though. You'd pretty much NEED that for offscreen play, heh.

Feb 16, 2011
Wow, fantastic news. I think I'll probably skip out on the 3DS version entirely now since I do most of my handheld gaming on the couch anyway.

Gorilla Shark

Sep 21, 2009
Wow, Capcom listened to the fans and made changes. Very cool.

Off TV play makes this way more awesome.

GOOD WORK!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jun 7, 2004
Space is the Place
So:

First voice chat and USB keyboard support are patched in.

Now offscreen play and even cross-region online for NA/EU.

Capcom game producers finally getting higher-ups to listen to public feedback and what people want?

frankie_baby

May 3, 2007
Why didn't they plan to support Off-TV Play in the first place? That seems like something of a given.

seemed like capcpom trying to sell the 30 quid off tv extra purchase but maybe they just rushed it and didnt get round to it