• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mic: Female 'Overwatch' player harassed for 16 minutes — uploads it all to YouTube

GodofWine

What lame comments...

Any way, it is terrible how some people act online. I let my daughter (8) play Paladins on PC, but no chatting obviously (inbound and outbound blocked), i can only hope this fades over the next few years. (She is lethal as a flanker too, she's at least as good a me)

I do think that there is a major demographic shift conning, my daughter and all her friends are gamers, be it simple stuff like roblox, or esports type stuff. I think the "games are for boys era is going to have a hard cutoff soon. I know for a fact that 8 year olds do not think it's weird for a girl too be playing anything.

Technical question: How does she retroactively record the first minute or so?

Not sure if this is the case, but Nvidia cards have a feature called geforce experience that is always recording. You can choose to save the last 5 mins of gameplay at any point.

What lame comments...

Any way, it is terrible how some people act online. I let my daughter (8) play Paladins on PC, but no chatting obviously (inbound and outbound blocked), i can only hope this fades over the next few years. (She is lethal as a flanker too, she's at least as good a me)

I do think that there is a major demographic shift conning, my daughter and all her friends are gamers, be it simple stuff like roblox, or esports type stuff. I think the "games are for boys era is going to have a hard cutoff soon. I know for a fact that 8 year olds do not think it's weird for a girl too be playing anything.

I agree completely. My daughter is ten years old and the gender bias regarding video games just doesn't exist amongst her and her friends.

What lame comments...

That brings an interesting point if there will be a shift in gender attitudes to gaming going forward. There was a talk at GDC by Ashly Burch and Rosalind Wiseman ("Gaming Habits Of Teen Girls"), and one of the points that was brought up was that boys were perfectly fine to see girls play games and even thought they were playing roughly the same games as them rather than thinking they were just mobile gamers.
gaming_habits_of_teenage_girls_gdc_by_digi_matrix-db98nis.png

gaming_habits_of_teenage_girls_gdc_2_by_digi_matrix-db98njc.png

I hope the conservative gamers get usurped by the more equality-minded gamers in the future.

One solution could be that anything said on voice chat should be transcribed to text in the background and sent to Blizzard (like the way voicemails on iPhones are transcribed to text now), so Blizzard can easily see any derogatory terms said when reports occur. If obvious sexism and racism is spewed, at least a temporary ban coupled with that account ever again using voice chat in any Blizzard game.

Yes, but now everyone is broadcasting their disgusting thoughts into the world, making others feel a ton worse and also influencing people and making them think this is a normal way to act.

Just mute them. Just ignore them. Just walk away. But by all means, don't confront assholes!

I swear, this line of though has been stamped into us way too much over the years giving free reign to the assholes to do what they want. Not just in multiplayer games like this, but wider society overall. World would be a much better place if when you spoke up, you could count on a dozen people around you to have your back about this.

It's weird because the whole "if you ignore a problem it goes away" has never worked for anything in the history of the US.

00ich

One solution could be that anything said on voice chat should be transcribed to text in the background and sent to Blizzard (like the way voicemails on iPhones are transcribed to text now), so Blizzard can easily see any derogatory terms said when reports occur. If obvious sexism and racism is spewed, at least a temporary ban coupled with that account ever again using voice chat in any Blizzard game.

That could work. Once you have speech-to-text you could theoretically text-to-speech to say the same things in the characters voice - or suppress it if it's offensive.

Many people seem to be fed up with open-mic online gaming.

TheContact

Was this on EU servers? I ask because I play only on American servers (I live in US), but occasionally I'll see people from other countries play on the US servers with the reason that they can't deal with the poor attitudes of people on EU servers. I have hundreds of hours in competitive overwatch and I've never seen a girl being harassed by the way. This behavior is unacceptable though. Those people have serious issues with their lives.

Whompa02

What terrible kids.

Hope Blizzard can ban their accounts and their credit information so they can't just rebuy the game...seriously purge this filth out already.

andycapps

The sad thing is that my daughter is 11 and likes video games, but I don't know if I want to encourage her to play online knowing that she'll eventually be on the receiving end of this sort of behavior. It's gross and shouldn't be a thing.

royox

It's weird because the whole "if you ignore a problem it goes away" has never worked for anything in the history of the US.

But if you ignore a kid that takes fun
was that well said?
on harassing and being the focus of attention you are ending his source of fun so, in some way, you are ending the problem.

PtM

Banned
was that well said?
on harassing and being the focus of attention you are ending his source of fun so, in some way, you are ending the problem.
Like in the video in the op, RIGHT?

Scarecrow

man, I do not envy this nonsense the girls are putting up with.

Promising that the newer gen is skewing more towards equality.

I swear I want to dump gaming more and more lately everytime something like this happens. The dregs of society love video games and I can't be assed to want to be associated with them. I've barely touched my games the past few months because shit like this is constantly coming up and I wonder if people look at me like this.

This is why I never use a headset without being with friends... it's especially difficult for women because there is a wider array of things to say that will affect them negatively. But this is definitely not a gender exclusive thing:

https://youtu.be/dda453BNHe0

All different people can be obnoxious on the internet! There is no fixing this... just limit talking to random people anonymously

Terrell

was that well said?
The fun is still there when people of a like mind to them basically give them congratulatory support. In fact, muting can be viewed by such people as cowardice, which they take to mean that they "won". So no, ignoring it does absolutely nothing but carve out a home for people like this permanently. Sorry to burst your bubble, but all this does is concede a part of online gaming to people who, in my view, don't deserve it.

Laiza

What lame comments...

I agree completely. My daughter is ten years old and the gender bias regarding video games just doesn't exist amongst her and her friends.
This gives me hope.

I don't have any children of my own (nor planning on it any time soon), so anecdotes like these are all I have to go on. That, plus what little research gets released about these demographics nowadays (but even those usually don't include children, just "buyers" of games).

It's heartening to hear about how the next generation is going about things. I just hope they don't get turned off the hobby in the future...

Banzai

I'm glad I've never run into any of these assholes. Whenever I hear a woman's voice say hi at the beginning of the match I instantly dread the oncoming harrassment because of stories that I read, but it has yet to happen. Everyone just keeps talking as normal.
Anecdotal, I know. I absolutely believe women have it hard in online games, I just happen to never experience it first hand.

Then again, I have had matches with absolute scum of the earth screaming into their mic from minute 2 of a match insulting everyone. I can only assume things would have taken an even darker tun if a woman had been in voice chat.

SlickVic

I feel whenever I've run into people like this in real life (fortunately it doesn't happen often) and someone calls them out for this behavior, they just shrug it off by saying "it's just a joke why are you taking it so seriously". When you tell them it's not a very funny joke and actually offensive, I hear "you need to lighten up" and other defensive language.

Even under the veil of anonymity, it's just disappointing people think this is an acceptable way to talk to someone and disparage them just for their gender. It's also sickening how in these videos it never seems like it's just one person. If it was, I imagine they'd quickly get bored and at least shut up if everyone ignored them. But instead, you see at least 1 or 2 more almost cheering him on, and helping the insult go to the end of the match.

I will say fortunately I have not run into these types of people when I've played Overwatch. Maybe sticking to the non-competitve modes helps with that. It's just disheartening to see people talk like this.

royox

The fun is still there when people of a like mind to them basically give them congratulatory support. In fact, muting can be viewed by such people as cowardice, which they take to mean that they "won". So no, ignoring it does absolutely nothing but carve out a home for people like this permanently. Sorry to burst your bubble, but all this does is concede a part of online gaming to people who, in my view, don't deserve it.

Well, when I've been in an argument with someone the thing that would anger me the most is being ignored or the usual "yes yes, whathever you say". Thought It could be translated to internet bullies.

They "win" when they know they are affecting you. What they want is attention, not saying a thing, muting and reporting is the best course of action imo. I don't like the idea of giving them the attention they want.

Terrell

Well, when I've been in an argument with someone the thing that would anger me the most is being ignored or the usual "yes yes, whathever you say". Thought It could be translated to internet bullies.

They "win" when they know they are affecting you. What they want is attention, not saying a thing, muting and reporting is the best course of action imo. I don't like the idea of giving them the attention they want.
By muting their mic, they know they've affected you. That's the point. It's the primary purpose of muting, as this very thread illustrates, so muting them gives them a clear indication that they "won".
And in the end, it's lead us to public chat being an echo chamber for cockbags who will give them the attention they crave by positively reenforcing their behavior, since anyone who might want them to stop can't hear them anymore when they've literally turned a deaf ear to it.

Top Bottom