• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mic: Female 'Overwatch' player harassed for 16 minutes — uploads it all to YouTube

SomTervo

On the plus side, the comments section is pretty damn good! People are not taking this shit!

shit like this makes me shrug when people like this are doxxed.

"oh no, little henry is such a good kid and it was taken out of context"

no, sorry. you just raised a piece of shit human being regardless of age who isn't worth the carbon in their body

Admittedly, weird hormonal shit (incl pubescence) can cause sheer detachment and sexual aggression. There are studies that find some pretty grim stuff about what happens when you're flooded with testosterone - in men and women the same shit happens.

But yeah, doesn't excuse it ofc. Pure vitriol.

ChazGW7

This would be a good opportunity for someone to start-up a business that partners with game developers to monitor the voice comms of matches containing reported users and issue out tiered ban levels. First time offence, 4 hour ban. Second time 24 hours, third time 1 week ban.

Personal insults, sexism, racial slurs and threats should all fall under the one roof and get the fuck out of here. Muting is not the solution.

Hahs

Bad habits start in home - whether aware and ignored​ or nurtured by those in authority/parents.. people aren't born assholes - the shit is learned/taught/simulated.

Blame those that chose to ignore the warning signs...those in fault can only be made aware of their error, it's up to these weaklings to change this disgusting behavior - in the meantime ignore/mute them and game-on!!

I have a feminine voice and I'm also gay and got told similar stuff on overwatch and DotA2 too, so I can symphatize. I always instant report and post screens of assholes on my discord so I can laugh at them with my friends.

anothertech

Perma Ban those motherfckers and somebody bitch slap them till Tuesday please.

That poor girl just kept trying to play the match but those asshats were relentless. Some humans don't deserve to play with others.

People say it as if it is a common thing, in my experience it isn't.

I played Wow for several years (from vanilla into BC) together with my wife (and she was quite good at it too, one of the best mages in our guild).

Females were perhaps about 10% of the guild and were getting better support than guys (we were on PVP server).
Nearly everyone who was online would rush to help them.
It was in EU, not sure if it is different in US.

The only kind of harassment my wife experienced was being ganked by a rogue. Yet, that had hardly anything to do with gender.

In RTSes gender is absolutely irrelevant.

Heck, in majority of games there is no voice communication to begin with.

Why is it ok to label huge gaming community just because there is a bunch of idiots out there somewhere?
And then you have various female game devs and personalities who quit social media after being harrased by gamers.

I'm glad your wife isn't harrased, and a lot of my female friends who play in MMORPGs aren't too, but these are more controlled environments.

Doesn't excuse the fact that FPS, MOBAs can be toxic, especially for women.

XaosWolf

I really can't understand the mentality these people have. Some people really are just complete assholes and deserve to be be banned from communicating with anyone until they learn some respect.

Is his mainly on the US servers or something? I've not had anywhere near this level of vitriol cropping up in OW.
Closest I've gotten is some guy continuously stating how shit our team was and then another team mate arguing back and we shut that down pretty quickly.

Mung

Permaban isn't a good answer due to 1) false positives and 2) being detrimental to a healthy gaming population. People should be able to act like an idiot so long as they are not hurting other people's gaming experience. That is necessary because there is no concrete definition of 'idiot'. For example, some people like trash talking and think it adds to the gaming enjoyment. Others just want to relax in a non-hostile environment.

People should be made to declare their online personality type and then be judged against that standard. That has two beneficial effects. First is it sets standards of behaviour that the gamer has agreed to. That should exert a psychological pressure to conform to that behaviour. Second it allows matchmaking and auto-muting systems something to work off of. Players would not be judged on how vulgar or benign they are, but how well they are able to predict their online behavior.

Such a system would let players change on the fly how they want to behave. If they want to drink on a Friday night and act like a wise cracking asshole, they can. Then another night they might want more wholesome fun, which they can also do. People change their behavior all the time base on the circumstances, so we should not expect a single gaming environment to be 'best' all the time. By having a more flexible system, you'll have one that works for more people. You'll also have people more likely to go along with the system instead of going around it.

Zero tolerance is the answer.

Appeasement based on psychobabble isn't.

And this is why I would never fucking bother with voice chat in games and therefore miss out on team-based games. I would be okay to communicate if it wasn't for these shrivelled little contents from a toss bucket. I have enough going on in my life; gaming is supposed to be the relaxation part of the day.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I really can't understand the mentality these people have. Some people really are just complete assholes and deserve to be be banned from communicating with anyone until they learn some respect.

Is his mainly on the US servers or something? I've not had anywhere near this level of vitriol cropping up in OW.
Closest I've gotten is some guy continuously stating how shit our team was and then another team mate arguing back and we shut that down pretty quickly.

This is the worst I've experienced in Asia servers. But console so not that many people talking to begin with (thankfully ~ )

https://twitter.com/handwander/status/760074418823454720

Nere

He was smart enough to realize that she might be recording them but they weren't smart enough to shut it. Poor girl it really is disgusting.

XaosWolf

This is the worst I've experienced in Asia servers. But console so not that many people talking to begin with (thankfully ~ )

https://twitter.com/handwander/status/760074418823454720

...I kinda wanna know the context of this now.
Also you can tell its early OW because nobody sticks around that long post-match anymore.

This is the acceptable kind of trash talk. No names or direct insults about a person and no blatant bullying. Its just general salt about a character.

i-Jest

Some of these guys just don't like women. Others feel the growing presence of women in gaming, outside of sexual objectification, encroached on how they traditionally see the hobby. That is to say videogames are for guys, no girls allowed. It's straight up ignorance and we gotta find some way to practically combat it. The growing acceptance that women play video games helps a lot, and in the future I hope more people take action in letting these men-children know that such an attitude is unacceptable.

It's 2017 and idiots feel threatened by a woman picking up a controller. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
And then you have various female game devs and personalities who quit social media after being harrased by gamers.

I'm glad your wife isn't harrased, and a lot of my female friends who play in MMORPGs aren't too, but these are more controlled environments.

Doesn't excuse the fact that FPS, MOBAs can be toxic, especially for women.

Adding to that, I don't think positive special treatment purely based on gender, however well-intentioned, is neccessarily a good thing in the long run either.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Wow, these guys are so hilarious. I'm having to grab onto my sides, lest they split.

"Why is there no team communication?"

How unaware of your own scumbag attitude can you be?

EDIT: Aww man that sweet Hugh Mungus reference so relevant

XaosWolf

Some of these guys just don't like women. Others feel the growing presence of women in gaming, outside of sexual objectification, encroached on how they traditionally see the hobby. That is to say videogames are for guys, no girls allowed. It's straight up ignorance and we gotta find some way to practically combat it. The growing acceptance that women play video games helps a lot, and in the future I hope more people take action in letting these men-children know that such an attitude is unacceptable.

It's 2017 and idiots feel threatened by a woman picking up a controller. What the hell is wrong with these people?

I can only imagine it stems from people hating their mums. (And likely having shitty friends who enable their awful behaviour)

"Mum told me I can't play videogames so I hate her. She doesn't get them. Girls don't get them. They should all just leave my games alone."

Something like that but with more emojis and slang.

The "women belong in the kitchen" lines always baffle me the most because its like they're directly impersonating someone from the 1940s.

It would be good if the #### ####### ####s could be hit with in-game random penalties such as next-to-zero damaging bullets, slower walking speed, drunk mode, no abilities, gun backfires, no jumping. Oh and a big penis on the top of their character's head.

I know this would hurt the team but they would know who the scum bag is.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yep. Shame the victims, not the harassers.

You can use this same line of argument as in;

Closet
"Proper clothing"
Solved

Why is THAT hard?! I do it every time I hear someone on the street!
It is true. Females should just have noice cancelling headphones on at all times, this way nobody will be harassing and it's your fault for even listening to them 🙄

Smh... I really wanna see how these people fare in the real world because they sound so moronic it hurts.

xviper

i don't get this, everytime a woman is being insulted in a game, it becomes a big deal, when men insult each other everyday

why do you people make it a big deal ?? it's just talking, it's not like he came to her house and insulted her, just don't take it seriously, it's a damn game and everyone you play with is part of the game, the point is to have fun

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
i don't get this, everytime a woman is being insulted in a game, it becomes a big deal, when men insult each other everyday

why do you people make it a big deal ?? it's just talking, it's not like he came to her house and insulted her, just don't take it seriously, it's a damn game and everyone you play with is part of the game, the point is to have fun

And what could possibly be more fun than being insulted for 16 minutes by your entire team? Ah, good times

So you think sexist bullying is fun?

Welp, I'm convinced. Move along people.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Go make a bunch of racist jokes to a person of color and see how well that goes for you. When they get angry, just say "don't worry, I was just having fun!"

Or maybe learn some basic human decency.

I am sure jolly good fun was had by ALL in the shit show that this thread is about.

They zeroed in on her because of the aforementioned gender and gave her a sustained 16 minutes of utter bollocks.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Please tell me Blizzard is going to permanently ban these players? It's the only way to deter this behavior.

You want to treat other players like shit? Your license is revoked.

hodgy100

its not good when it happens to anyone.

its just that women are unfairly targeted because of their gender. men dont have a go at each other and parrot male stereotypes at do they?

I once argued with a lil boy when he called something 'gay' and I asked him what was wrong with that. Oh lord, he went into full defensive mode and my pink Lucio did not hear the end of it. Yea, the online gaming community is toxic and it's a shame this behavior is normalized so much, even in this very thread where people defend the guys harassing the girl. It's s shame, because some understanding and respect could fix this so easily but that is just way too much to ask these days.

Because when men get attacked, their gender doesn't get targeted. There's a difference between "you suck you fucking scrub" and "you suck you fucking bitch, suck my dick and make me a sandwich".

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I am sure jolly good fun was had by ALL in the shit show that this thread is about.

They zeroed in on her because of the aforementioned gender and gave her a sustained 16 minutes of utter bollocks.

I know I am having a great time if just one of my team members keeps insulting me for like 3 minutes. Multiply that by 5 and you have a par-ty

Tregard

Soothsayer

Cool, next time you're playing a team game, I'll come along and continually tell you to shut up and insult you, and if you try to defend yourself, I'll make sure to exaggerate everything you're saying to make you look hysterical.

How fun does that sound?

Bloody hell. Seems like people can get away with anything in the www. Fucking assholes. It would be great if scum like that, whatever gender, would be exposed, accounts banned, tracked down and be punished with a severe fee, depending on their income. Then deprive them of their devices. When underaged, contact the parents.

This is a real plague. I don't get this. I mean, even if people are not anonymous and comment with their real name and even photo as their avatar, it does not prevent them from posting and saying all this abhorrent shit. How motherfucking mean and stupid is mankind? Well, very. I hope there will be a sufficient and fair way to address these incidents... if they weren't probably countless...

WarrenD

Because when men get attacked, their gender doesn't get targeted. There's a difference between "you suck you fucking scrub" and "you suck you fucking bitch, suck my dick and make me a sandwich".
That's because they're trolls. They'll obviously use whatever (race, gender, sexuality, skill) they can to get under someone's skin.

That's because they're trolls. They'll obviously use whatever (race, gender, sexuality, skill) they can to get under someone's skin.

Why do people keep bothering to make this point like it's an excuse for anything? Yes, these people are saying these things to make people feel uncomfortable. We get it. It's obvious. It should also be stopped.

airjoca

I'm from Portugal, Europe.

My very limited experience with playing with female gamers in online shooters is usually a mixture of welcoming and some condescending reactions: Males surprised by the presence of a female, they're welcoming but generally surprised that she's a good player.

I've hardly ever heard insults online, partly because I mostly play Battlefield which probably attracts a somewhat more mature audience. And partly because I'm in europe.

The only times I've heard insults and general abhorrent shit was when playing with americans really. I've had americans call me and friends "Terrorist faggets" because we were speaking portuguese and they couldn't understand it. Then we answered in perfect english and embarrassed them.

People say it as if it is a common thing, in my experience it isn't.

I played Wow for several years (from vanilla into BC) together with my wife (and she was quite good at it too, one of the best mages in our guild).

Females were perhaps about 10% of the guild and were getting better support than guys (we were on PVP server).
Nearly everyone who was online would rush to help them.
It was in EU, not sure if it is different in US.

The only kind of harassment my wife experienced was being ganked by a rogue. Yet, that had hardly anything to do with gender.

In RTSes gender is absolutely irrelevant.

Heck, in majority of games there is no voice communication to begin with.

Why is it ok to label huge gaming community just because there is a bunch of idiots out there somewhere?
Your experience is similar to mine in most online games I have played, such as wow, league of legends, warcraft 3 and ow on PC.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm from Portugal, Europe.

My very limited experience with playing with female gamers in online shooters is usually a mixture of welcoming and some condescending reactions: Males surprised by the presence of a female, they're welcoming but generally surprised that she's a good player.

I've hardly ever heard insults online, partly because I mostly play Battlefield which probably attracts a somewhat more mature audience. And partly because I'm in europe.

The only times I've heard insults and general abhorrent shit was when playing with americans really. I've had americans call me and friends "Terrorist faggets" because we were speaking portuguese and they couldn't understand it. Then we answered in perfect english and embarrassed them.

Keep it up! Glad to hear there is some recourse for people being assholes online.

(Also your Eurovision entry is pretty cool this year!)

Sometimes these dudes do go to the woman's house

hodgy100

i play in a group. one of us is a girl. we rarely get any sexist crap to be honest. but there have been a couple of run ins over the past year.

its only been in text chat though "Are you a girl" "send nudes".

the rest of us usually mess with them tell them we are all girls.

not had anything in voice chat though. it seems th US servers are much worse for this kind of thing :/

ChazGW7

You are the problem. Congratulations, you suck.

WarrenD

Why do people keep bothering to make this point like it's an excuse for anything? Yes, these people are saying these things to make people feel uncomfortable. We get it. It's obvious. It should also be stopped.
But you'll never stop trash talking. It's in every facet of life that's competitive. I never said it's an excuse, I said it's the reason. The person I was replying to made it sound like it's worse than normal abuse, it isn't. It's just another form. The only rememdy is to stop allowing it to get to you, take their power away by not caring.

But you'll never stop trash talking. It's in every facet of life that's competitive. I never said it's an excuse, I said it's the reason. The person I was replying to made it sound like it's worse than normal abuse, it isn't. It's just another form. The only rememdy is to stop allowing it to get to you, take their power away by not caring.

Are you a woman? Because if you're not, your opinion on whether it's worse than "normal" abuse (whatever that means) is kind of irrelevant and you should listen to the experiences of women who have had to go through both "normal" abuse and sexism during their lives.

Top Bottom