• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat Remastered Blu-ray: May 9/17! ($8 on Amazon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun Sai

The film didn't age well imo, I watched the heist shootout and these guys are standing out in the open like action heroes.

Not to mention the mediocre gun sounds right !

-----------------------------
Heeh, I didn't even noticed at the time he wanted to say "BIG ASS" and reconsidered, ah ah ah. Not so on drug finally ^^

olore

You're out of your mind.

Such a brilliant film. The ending with Moby's god moving over the face of the waters and the hand clutch always nearly brings me to tears. Just a brilliant, beautiful, moving epic in all ways, and DeNiro's last great performance.

I think it's quite flat. No emotion at all. Quite silly really. Are we supposed to feel something for these two? Like they could've been best bros or something? The meet at the café is silly, boring and pompous too. Funny that. A too long vehicle with lots of different character just to have that much ballyhooed café scene. I used to think much of this movie. These days not at all.

If I have too chose a movie by Mann I'd select Collateral. Tighter. More focused

Michael Mann invented this urban style. Nobody can get these sorts of shots of the urban metropolisis, and those that get close (Drive) are- imitating Manns style.

You saw it in Collateral too, and from the vibe I get from a lot of you guys- Miami Vice too. But I think Miami Vice, the TV Show is still superior, with Collateral and HEAT being his magnus opus.

I wouldn't say he invented it, but he definitely put his stamp on it. In terms of urban showcases, Mann's working from a linage that stems back to Italian Neorealists, French New Wave, Noir, etc. In the latter half of his career actually, it's those styles + his documentary origins that have been clashing with his classical Hollywood influences making for these strange guerrilla aesthetic large scale studio movies.

I need to give this another watch. I haven't seen this in 20 years or so. I remember thinking it was okay and way overhyped back then (like most of Michael Mann's stuff), but I will see how I feel after some major distance from it. I think the only Mann film that I will feverishly defend is The Insider. Fuck, that movie deserved to do so much better than it did.

Well that's because The insider is actually Mann's best movie. But you're also wrong about HEAT :p

Yeah. Being such a big fan of Manns movies I had to go back and see Melville's Le Samourai and see where a lot of his influence stemmed from. Great film

JB1981

I don't think Mann's messed with this movie much beyond snipping out the "detritus" line and "FEROCIOUS, AREN'T I?" back when it was released on DVD.

I mean unless you count the slightly altered color grading and slight crop on this 4K remaster.

Haha that line always bothered the shit out of me! What did he replace detritus with?

cackhyena

The film didn't age well imo, I watched the heist shootout and these guys are standing out in the open like action heroes.

I think it's quite flat. No emotion at all. Quite silly really. Are we supposed to feel something for these two? Like they could've been best bros or something? The meet at the café is silly, boring and pompous too. Funny that. A too long vehicle with lots of different character just to have that much ballyhooed café scene. I used to think much of this movie. These days not at all.

If I have too chose a movie by Mann I'd select Collateral. Tighter. More focused

I can't handle these terrible opinions.

THE:MILKMAN

Picked up the UK definitive edition just yesterday on HMV's 5 Bluray's for £30. Great film and utter bargain for £6.

MarionCB

I wonder if the audio track is different?

I understand it was intentional by Mann, but I found it essentially broken on the current bluray outside of having a literal home theater with accompanying surround sound system and sound-proofing. Either most of the dialogue is too low, or you turn it up loud enough and your roof blows off in the action scenes and the neighbours start complaining (that sudden helicopter cut, yikes). I had to sit there with the remote constantly adjusting the volume up and down; it's no way to watch a film.

So now she just says, "Sift through ________" and what nothing ?

lol no, that line is gone. "You don't live with me, you live among the remains of dead people. --> ....you read the terrain, you search for signs of passing, for the scent of your prey, and then you hunt them down." He literally just snipped it out, and if you haven't seen the theatrical version you wouldn't notice or care.

I wonder if the audio track is different?

I understand it was intentional by Mann, but I found it essentially broken on the current bluray outside of having a literal home theater with accompanying surround sound system and sound-proofing. Either most of the dialogue is too low, or you turn it up loud enough and your roof blows off in the action scenes and the neighbours start complaining (that sudden helicopter cut, yikes). I had to sit there with the remote constantly adjusting the volume up and down; it's no way to watch a film.

UK/import folks are saying the dialogue is boosted compared to the older release. Not enough to balance it against the gun sounds like most movies do (this is on purpose), but better than before.

I gotta go with Thief for best Mann and Mann ending still. That shootout and then him peacing out is that good shit. Heat is great too though.

Heat had the bigger impact on me because alot of time was spent giving depth to these two characters, which is very well done. Thief is great as well and it works without needing that much depth to the main character because of how he lives his life, a drifter of sorts. It also has the second best soundtrack in a Mann film outshined only by The Last of The Mohicans.

Heat had the bigger impact on me because alot of time was spent giving depth to these two characters, which is very well done. Thief is great as well and it works without needing that much depth to the main character because of how he lives his life, a drifter of sorts. It also has the second best soundtrack in a Mann film outshined only by The Last of The Mohicans.

I'd still give it to Tangerine Dream since it helps tell the icy, industrial story so perfectly, but Last of the Mohican's score makes that climax

Best shootout in cinema history. I'm in.
9322445415_262ee20de9_o.gif

It's up there, though

Finally watched the movie last year. Good flick up until the end. Man has a moral code throughout his life, and decides to go against all of that for the sake of the "plot" of this story.

Nice. And thankfully Mann didn't mess with the cut. He constantly does that shit with his films for the home media release and it always ends up being a patchwork of different cuts for different regions, some additions, some unnecessary cuts. He hasn't delivered a satisfying director's cut of one of his films yet so I'm glad he stuck to the theatrical version.

Did they fix the lighting on the Eady/Neil scene on the balcony with the shot of LA in the background (looking like algae in Fiji or whatever) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqDoUCcJHPU.

It remains the only scene in this movie that takes me out of the experience in a jarring manner -- I can practically tell that it's a soundstage with a superimposed background -- looks like a matte painting instead of an actual LA background shot.

Ridley327

So WB is pulling a Paramount now and farming out films for Blu Ray Release.

No, this was owned by Regency, who have since moved over to Fox for distribution of their films. This is a different situation than, say, Criterion putting out the Before Trilogy with the first two films being ones that WB owns.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And pre-ordered... Still remains one of my favorite movies, and the soundtrack still gets play now and again in the car or on workouts two decades later.

GREAT ASS

She gotta GREAT ASS.

Should lock it up for that. You can get your thread locked WALKIN YOUR DOGGY.

The weird thing about this set is that nobody seems to know whether or not he's actually fucked with the movie? At least that's what I heard a couple days ago - it wasn't a guarantee he hadn't gone back in and tweaked it some.

I hear he's somewhat deaf now (no pun intended) and a nightmare to deal with for sound mixers. Hopefully he didn't fuck with that aspect.

This doesn't even come anywhere close to Heat. Firing an MP5 one-handed is really fucking stupid.

Hard Boiled ain't exactly striving for realism, and its glorious excess and expertly orchestrated chaos is precisely why it's the best sustained cinematic sequence of guns going bang.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing, he just edited around it. But hardcore Heat fans can't let it go.
Seamless branching's been around for years. Is it that hard to include the theatrical cut alongside the current one?

Ridley327

Seamless branching's been around for years. Is it that hard to include the theatrical cut alongside the current one?

Mann's not super big on offering alternate cuts. Manhunter has been about it on that front for something readily available.

I hear he's somewhat deaf now (no pun intended) and a nightmare to deal with for sound mixers. Hopefully he didn't fuck with that aspect.
considering how very weird the sound mix in Blackhat was, I'd believe it.

can I just say that I'm still salty, 22 years after the fact, that Heat got basically zero award recognition in its own time. Not a single Oscar nom (not even for sound effects, the biggest gimmie of all time maybe), not even a single flipping Golden Globe nod. Braveheart got all the friggin laurels and it wasn't even the best movie to come out that year about a Scottish folk hero (Rob Roy cleans its clock).

C'mon, audiences and critics of 1995. A masterpiece is staring you right in the face, acknowledge it!

Mission

What a pointless "remaster."

This is me.

I bought it on Blu Ray because something bad happened to my last copy but at this point I've bought it 3 times. It's still Blu-Ray and my TV is still 1080p. Zero interest.

Wasn't it intentionally filmed grainy anyway? What good is another remaster going to do?

considering how very weird the sound mix in Blackhat was, I'd believe it.

can I just say that I'm still salty, 22 years after the fact, that Heat got basically zero award recognition in its own time. Not a single Oscar nom (not even for sound effects, the biggest gimmie of all time maybe), not even a single flipping Golden Globe nod. Braveheart got all the friggin laurels and it wasn't even the best movie to come out that year about a Scottish folk hero (Rob Roy cleans its clock).

C'mon, audiences and critics of 1995. A masterpiece is staring you right in the face, acknowledge it!

Public Enemies also had some really weird problems with the sound.

I can't pass this up. Probably won't be much different from the last blu release, but I can't help myself.

Mifune

Mehmber
Finally watched the movie last year. Good flick up until the end. Man has a moral code throughout his life, and decides to go against all of that for the sake of the "plot" of this story.

He stayed true to his code until the end. In fact, he does exactly what he told Pacino he'd do in the coffee scene. How did he go against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom