• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat Remastered Blu-ray: May 9/17! ($8 on Amazon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Not sure if I'll pick this up--the quality itself doesn't seem a whole lot sharper, but Mann is doing his own version of the Wachowski/Ridley thing where they mess unnecessarily with the color timings. I checked some of the shootout preview images and it looks like there is a green/teal tint cast now, where before it was completely neutral. Other times the image is warmed up, depending on the scene.

Heat's cool, clinical look is something I feel like I appreciated subconsciously more than overtly.

It'll be years until I'd even think about getting a 4K player.

After the Scorpio comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Xbox One S hit the $199 mark ($130-$175 during deep discount Holiday season sales)

they want you to double dip. Holding out for the UHD blu-ray.

At this price I don't mind double dipping. When the UHD version releases, I'll give it to one of my nephews and it'll be one of the best gifts they ever get haha

Hmm but the French for Heat is Chaleur...

¯\(°_o)/¯
'Heat' is slang so calling it Chaleur would kinda be like calling it Hot or Warm

Tension is probably the closest equivalent to the slang since it sort of combines intensity with stress and electricity, I guess.

Not sure, I'm from BC so I probably know more Punjabi and Mandarin than French lol

torontoml

Missed the movie originally. Bought the original Blu-ray release and loved it, found the audio leaving a little to be desired though.

This new release is fantastic though, picture is clean and the new HD audio is fantastic.

I love the new blu-ray just for the reason that I kind finally hear the dialogue without having my eardrums busted by all the other sound in the movie.

geomon

The sound on this is fucking amazing man. I have a fairly ok surround sound setup and damn, I'm amazed nobody called the cops on me during the opening heist.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I mean, it's only $8 is the main reason.

My reason would be that I don't want to watch a movie released in 1995 in HDR.

RS4-

Iirc the Japanese BluRay is the best version. But man, the prices are ridiculous. At least the last time I checked.

They took out a scream Dennis Haysbert made at the start of the shootout. Its kinda jarring.

Ed: only lasts maybe 1/6 of a second.

You talking about when he first gets shot? The kinda over the shoulder shot? I don't know if he ever cried out. I'll have to rewatch.

His inclusion is so tragic. Mann doesn't give it much attention but I think that's more his matter of fact style (although he has his share of melodramatic flair) than anything else.

Everytime I rewatch it I pray he gets away.

Just watched this last night and the picture seemed a little soft. Not sure if it's my $60 Blu-ray player, the fact that I'm used to watching movies that were digitally shot, or what...but PQ was a little disappointing. Sound seemed fine though...my wife yelled at me several times to turn it down, lol.

Ok, anyone else hearing some sort of high pitched audio shit happening?

I noticed something last night. It sounded like the high frequencies hit some kind of wall at one point during the airport chase.

You talking about when he first gets shot? The kinda over the shoulder shot? I don't know if he ever cried out. I'll have to rewatch.

It's a quick shot right after Mykelti Williamson destroys the bottom of the car with his shotgun: https://youtu.be/ZL9fnVtz_lc?t=5m16s

I had to dig out the old blu to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

Overall I like how filmic the pq quality is, like it was taken straight from the negative. Besides the small gripes the audio is great too. It really puts you in the scenes.

Hopefully Mann goes back and supervises a 4k master of Mohicans next.

Watched this for the first time this morning

Really enjoyed it, very stylish. Might have been a bit long for my taste but it all needs to be there so not like there's any lulls

Overall just loved the vibe, Pacino in particular was the highlight

The bank shootout honestly wasn't what I expected from the hype I'd read about it, though I really appreciated how nothing is drawn out/built up, people just get shot and die

Hotel sequence near the end was probably the standout for me

Futureman

A release like this is only going for $7? Is that because no one buys blurays anymore??

That doesn't really mean much when it comes to HDR, film does not have very much dynamic range. For the resolution sure, if done right it will look great.

huh? It's my impression that top of the line digital cameras have just caught up to the dynamic range captured by film. I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom