• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter Claims Sony is Skipping E3 2020

ManaByte

Gold Member

“As far as I know, they don’t plan to attend,” he said. “I think that’s a huge mistake, as their ‘focus on the consumer’ is not inconsistent with their attendance at the premier industry trade show. I hope they change their minds, but am sceptical.”

ultrazilla

MXhy3hE.gif

Rippa

I’m completely okay with this sentiment.
I believe it’s okay that Sony skips E3 again.
Seeing as how they have such notoriety, they can afford to do exactly that.
Didn’t they host their own event to announce the PS4?
Why not do it again with the PS5 with probably a larger audience and most importantly larger fan base?
Then have multiple “states of play” for exclusive gaming news leading up to release of the PS5.
It’ll be perfect for them as it’s exclusive to just them.
Leave E3 for anything and everything 3rd party related.

Just my opinion.

Gargus

Banned
Not sure why this guy even gets attention paid to him. He was cool back on screw attack because "hey it's a cool older dude in a suit and he likes videos games!" But never really had any insight or information. Everything he talks about has a 50/50 chance of being right and guess how often he is right? About 50%.

Sony made their own show and didn't go last year, so it's a safe bet it will happen again. What's next is he going to predict microsoft will be at e3? Or maybe he will claim there will be a sequel to spiderman.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Man that's a big bummer. Ever since the beginning, E3 has always had the big three for such an awesome atmosphere. Last year E3 just wasn't the same without Playstations and Microsofts presence. I fear it will never be the same. I loved to always see Microsoft and Sony toe to toe with their booths!

e3BLOG.jpg

garballax

damn. i kind of miss Sony at E3, they could be quite the wildcard. though i don't know how they could top the flute and banjo guys. why come back when they've already peaked?

theHFIC

Sony doesn't need to exhibit at E3. We know PS5 is coming. As long as they announce specs and hardware details before the E3, it will be fine for all the OTHER exhibitors to have their games being showcased on PS5 hardware which will be its own hype.

E3 and trade shows are a fossil. Sony is huge enough to have it's own convention and be the singular spotlight rather than having to share it with 2 other console makers (1 more or less since Nintendo hasn't had a large presence even before Sony). Plus all the developers will want to show off on the latest hardware so there will probably be PS5's there as well to see along with the competition.

E3's are like rotary phones. They look cool and are a neat novelty in 2020, but are useless otherwise.

Last edited:
OH NO SONY IS SKIPPING E3 WHY?
What do you mean why you nitwit? E3 is fucking dead and nobody watches it anymore.

Welp, this is false. Besides, for non-gamers, the only gaming event they really know of is E3. It would be very bad optics to skip E3 during the year of a next-gen console launch.

That said, I think Patcher's wrong. He's more known for being vastly wrong than right, so I'm gonna say he's wrong unless something definitive pops up to prove he's correct about this.

JLB

Banned
I’m completely okay with this sentiment.
I believe it’s okay that Sony skips E3 again.
Seeing as how they have such notoriety, they can afford to do exactly that.
Didn’t they host their own event to announce the PS4?
Why not do it again with the PS5 with probably a larger audience and most importantly larger fan base?
Then have multiple “states of play” for exclusive gaming news leading up to release of the PS5.
It’ll be perfect for them as it’s exclusive to just them.
Leave E3 for anything and everything 3rd party related.

Just my opinion.

One of the key moments of current gen was the trolling of Sony to Microsoft for the whole DRM thing during E3.
E3 is huge, no matter what. Sony skipping it would be a crazy idea.

Reactions: Isa

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Even if they skip E3 I know more gaming conventions now that E3 is much more casual now.

If they do end up skipping E3 this year as well, I fully expect them to have their own event around the same time. It's either that, or they will have to drop enough bombs at the rumored February reveal event to last them until launch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hmmm, it would be a ballsy move but in some respects quite crafty.

Look at it this way. E3 isn't what it was in a commercial sense. Remember it started life as a trade-only meeting where everyone got together to line-up their wares for buyers to pick and choose their holiday product.

Nowadays its just one of many public expos. It has the most history, but objectively its still the one thats at the start of the season. Happenings later in the year can supercede any gains in mindshare made there.

They let MS blow it out, and they know exactly when and how to market around them. If MS holds information back so as to protect themselves from being one-upped (announcement-wise) later in the year they look weak and it damages their pitch.

In any case it allows Sony to step in with some sort of big US-based announcement showcase of their own at some point after E3 and before GamesCom and TGS which covers them in Europe and Asia respectively.

Honestly, if Sony are happy to give a giant "fuck you very much" to the ESA there are plenty of compelling reasons to go their own way.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, this is false. Besides, for non-gamers, the only gaming event they really know of is E3. It would be very bad optics to skip E3 during the year of a next-gen console launch.

That said, I think Patcher's wrong. He's more known for being vastly wrong than right, so I'm gonna say he's wrong unless something definitive pops up to prove he's correct about this.
E3 has been a shitshow for the last 5 years.

Dthomp

OH NO SONY IS SKIPPING E3 WHY?
What do you mean why you nitwit? E3 is fucking dead and nobody watches it anymore.

Yeah I'm shocked people think E3 even remotely matters anymore. With all the social media and what not there is no reason to bother with this relic. E3 going full on open to public should have been the lightbulb going off moment that it was dead.

Sony is staying away because they won't bend the knee to the cringe-culture/censoring push in the west by the media. Watch the last E3 event and you'll see why they stayed away.

stitch1

I would be surprised if they didn't attend this year. If nothing else they could have their own event going on around the same time as E3 but why not just get all that coverage E3 still provides?

Dory16

Banned
Sony attending CES to show nothing but skipping E3 where they could show everything would be a spit in the face of gamers. They may as well record a song called we take you for granted and have it on MTV, that’s how bad it would look.

• LOL
They need to be there in some capacity. I know people will spin it like hurr durr nobody cares about E3 anymore, but they need to come up with some big ass event instead. That is unless they have absolutely nothing to show and they can't launch a console like that. I really doubt this one.

• Thoughtful

KiNeMz

Banned
e3 was for marketing buzz and making deals. Now the internet does a much better job.

They tweet 1 logo and get way more marketing push from that then a convention with 1000's of journos.

Sussoloc

Sony is getting arrogant
Getting? They always were. Here is a best of:

I won't believe Pachter, but its a huge mistake if true. Microsoft gonna have all the spotlight. They didn't capitalize on it last year, but they got a new console and Halo Infinite this year.

NickFire

I find this hard to believe in a launch year. I completely get that media engagement strategies, options, etc., have changed. But its a launch year for hardware, and I have to believe that the vast majority of pre-orders will come from the crowds that tune into E3 coverage like stink on poop. I suppose the argument can be made that we (early adopters) will all get the necessary information regardless of how its released in 2020. However, I can personally attest to pre ordering my first current gen console based on what was sorted out at E3 in the last launch year. Guessing I am not alone, and it seems a risky strategy to give MS any unilateral spotlight IMO.

Top Bottom