• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter Claims Sony is Skipping E3 2020

pr0cs

Wouldn't surprise me at all, Sony has been abysmal at keeping fans in the loop about the future of playstation.
Pretty disappointing really, smacks of Sony hubris seen at ps2 days.

Dante83

Banned
Sony can't present for shit, that's why. Jim Ryan is bad, and so are the others before him, so I am not surprised. If they are going to come to E3 and just run clip after clip, moving spectators around places, with no good presentation and hype behind it, then they might as well don't show up. Their state of play is utter trash as well despite trying something "new". They can't put on a show to save their lives.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not saying I buy into it, but I'm not sure if I care anymore. The last E3 show they did was really strange, and then skipping last year showed how boring E3 has really become.

It's literally just a long sizzle reel of way too many CG trailers for games that aren't coming any time soon. E3 used to be so much more interesting. Hell, I even prefer the days when they showed sales graphs and shit lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
LTTP: Michael Pachter: There's no way Sony will be at E3

ETTP: Sony : See you in February
rFiCZG0.gif

Airbus Jr

Banned
Even if what Patcher said is true

Skipping E3 is not the end of the world

Theres Gamescom and TGS

Plenty other events and opportunities to showcases your new system

MB2Z

Honestly, them doing their own event for the reveal and showcasing games will have more audience than being at E3.

I mean a logo reveal on CES made people go crazy.

DJ12

OH NO SONY IS SKIPPING E3 WHY?
What do you mean why you nitwit? E3 is fucking dead and nobody watches it anymore.
This.

The talk two years ago was e3 was no longer important and publishers, at least the big ones were ditching it on mass. Sony don't attend and all of a sudden is back to bring relevant.

I don't like the taste of that cool aid.

kaworid

Neo Member
I hope Pachter is wrong, i always perceived sony to be the highlight of most E3s but then again sony has the playstation experience now same way nintendo has its own thing.. so could happen.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
Let ig go guys. E3 is just not required anymore to get a message out there. they could release this console news as a leak on a piss stall in thailand and it would get the same amount of buzz as an e3 show. Its how marketing works now. Let the people do the work. The internet will make it go viral. They just have to make sure the viral message is good.

thelastword

Banned
TLOU-2-1.jpeg

49210891223_9ba2f131af_o.png

71zqTe7KpoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dreams-ps4-playstation-4-box-art.original.jpg

48784465518_9c1dac418f_o.png

All before they release the PlayStation 5 later this year. We've really become spoiled by Sony if this is a nothing year.
I swear if this is a nothing year for Sony, the competition must be swimming in 100% meta games this year...….I want to see the games that beat those listed above....

thelastword

Banned
Denizens: Sony you need to go to E3, you need to follow the rules...It's a bad omen if you don't.....
Sony: :messenger_sunglasses:……...Hold my beer......

Would be incredibly coward and disappointing. Sony is launching nextgen, they ought to have enough material for 5 E3s this year.

All it'd tell the public is "we're scared of the competition".

Ryu Kaiba

This.

The talk two years ago was e3 was no longer important and publishers, at least the big ones were ditching it on mass. Sony don't attend and all of a sudden is back to bring relevant.

I don't like the taste of that cool aid.
The talk EVERY YEAR since like 2008 is that E3 is irrelevant then everyone tunes in anyway. People will always tune in to see new game announcements.

DJ12

The talk EVERY YEAR since like 2008 is that E3 is irrelevant then everyone tunes in anyway. People will always tune in to see new game announcements.
I think that is the case for the hardcore, like those that feel the need to post on gaf.

Casuals couldn't give a monkeys. They will watch on YouTube when something pops up in their Facebook/Twitter feeds and consume what they want. They won't watch an entire presser like we would.

Mista

Banned
The last thing I’d do is believe anything this full of bollocks Pachter says. But if it’s true, as much as it’s a bummer it’s at the same time understandable. They got their own event

Vawn

Banned
Why do people make it sound like E3 be the defining factor for a console to be successful? Last time I check Sony skip E3 and PS4 is still doing well.

It's the opposite. Sony being at E3 is the deciding factor of E3 being successful.

KiNeMz

Banned
This is Pachter trying to up his fortune telling point a to the public since this is an obvious one that's going to work hid way. Unfortunately this prediction is going to keep Pachter relevant.

Xmengrey

No but Xbox has already made their peace with the PC. It's Sony's turn.
Alright since you have your sources and have been vetted Imma ask you a few questions
1. Will there be a first party Sony title coming to PC this year? Don't need to know when, don't need to know the game or from who just that it will be first party not counting Dreams or MLB
2. Think Bloodborne is coming to PC?

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Why should anyone go to e3 anymore when video game marketing nowadays consists of making a tweet with a weird picture of a sock or some shit and put some weird caption like "What are we working on? Soon."

Michael Pachter today:
- Sony is skipping E3

Michael Pachter after a week:
- Sony will have quite a big presentation at E3

Michael Pachter after E3:
- As I was always stating, no need for Sony to be at E3, next console will be called PlayStation Forever

Michael Pachter few days before launch of PS5:
- It would've been illogical naming next console anything but PS5

Michael Patchter, in 2028, publishes a book 'how I learned to stop worrying and love predictions'

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Gediminas

Banned
Sony can't present for shit, that's why. Jim Ryan is bad, and so are the others before him, so I am not surprised. If they are going to come to E3 and just run clip after clip, moving spectators around places, with no good presentation and hype behind it, then they might as well don't show up. Their state of play is utter trash as well despite trying something "new". They can't put on a show to save their lives.
want a cookie?

Ar¢tos

Who dafuq cares for E3 nowadays?
They'll do their own event on the dates they want, where they want and on their own terms.
Doesn't MS also kinda skip E3 too by doing their event outside E3?

Sony skipping E3 -
Sony-fans: "I actually prefer that. E3 is a relic of the past, and Sony can just do their own events."

Sony attending E3 -
Sony-fans: "I actually prefer that. E3 is the biggest event all year in the industry, and I love press conferences."

🤷‍♀️🐧🤷‍♀️

magnumpy

I remember E3 being a big deal back in the '90s. times change, its now 2020, leave the past in the graveyard where it belongs :p

thelastword

Banned
Sony skipping E3 -
Sony-fans: "I actually prefer that. E3 is a relic of the past, and Sony can just do their own events."

Sony attending E3 -
Sony-fans: "I actually prefer that. E3 is the biggest event all year in the industry, and I love press conferences."

🤷‍♀️🐧🤷‍♀️
Tbh, Sony is the console leader, they can do whatever they want.......The truth is, Sony doesn't need E3, all the buzz can be generated with a simple Wired article or YouTube Video Interview with Cerny......Personally instead of spending all the money on E3 staging, spend that money on games instead...….Sony has the mindshare, they can reveal in the middle of the Sahara and it will create a bigger buzz than the competition.....Just look at a simple Logo reveal from Sony and the internet went wild, filled with anticipation, joy and tears...….Sony needs E3, not the other way around...….If Sony goes to E3, that's a bigger win for E3 tbh......

VFXVeteran

Banned
Alright since you have your sources and have been vetted Imma ask you a few questions
1. Will there be a first party Sony title coming to PC this year? Don't need to know when, don't need to know the game or from who just that it will be first party not counting Dreams or MLB
2. Think Bloodborne is coming to PC?

1. Yes
2. I don't know.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Tbh, Sony is the console leader, they can do whatever they want.......The truth is, Sony doesn't need E3, all the buzz can be generated with a simple Wired article or YouTube Video Interview with Cerny......Personally instead of spending all the money on E3 staging, spend that money on games instead...….Sony has the mindshare, they can reveal in the middle of the Sahara and it will create a bigger buzz than the competition.....Just look at a simple Logo reveal from Sony and the internet went wild, filled with anticipation, joy and tears...….Sony needs E3, not the other way around...….If Sony goes to E3, that's a bigger win for E3 tbh......
I disagree. The fact that they are the leader now, puts them in a far more delicate spot.

Look at the history of this industry. No market leader has stayed there forever. It must not be taken for granted.

There is one major fact of culture and entertainment, and that is: The pendulum will swing, it can't not to.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I disagree. The fact that they are the leader now, puts them in a far more delicate spot.

Look at the history of this industry. No market leader has stayed there forever. It must not be taken for granted.
Nintendo hasn't had a real presentation at e3 for years now, it hasn't affected the Switch momentum. If Sony releases their own video/event around e3, it will be just as hyped up as an actual e3 floor presentation. IMO

The Alien

Banned
I see them having both a Sony event and attending E3. They'll want as much attention fir a new console they can get.

Much like the rumor of "not having any games for PS5 launch", I'll file this under very skeptical.

Oh wait......Pachter?

Sony E3 attendance confirmed.

• LOL

Vawn

Banned
That sounds like fanboyism but it's true.

Last E3 was just plain dreadful without them.

It's more a testament that E3 is quickly turning into a relic of the past. This E3 will be huge, but I expect it to quickly lose steam throughout the generation.

Honestly, them doing their own event for the reveal and showcasing games will have more audience than being at E3.

That's not true, you guys keep forgetting about the press.

It's one thing to say it could still do well but E3 would guarantee that it gets the most hype and exposure giving it the best possible launch.

Top Bottom