• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter - Gamepass will destroy Sony. Sony will cease to exist.

Ribi

Literally the opposite happens of his predictions. Its not just a joke people make. It's true. He has never predicted anything right.
Yet here we still are.. why is what he says even still being written about holy shit. I need to spout nonsense in twitter

Yet here we still are.. why is what he says even still being written about holy shit. I need to spout nonsense in twitter
It's because he's someone console warriors can latch onto and say, "Look what this guy says! You're doomed! He's a man in a position of authority and respect!"
And, the opposite side can say, "Look, this idiot said this! The opposite will be true!"

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Toilet Paper GIF
Ooooh man thanks for this... im crying right now 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ladioss

His premise is right IMO, which is exactly the reason why I expect Sony to do some drastic business moves. I don't think they will passively wait for their death.

I mean, remember the Nintendo is doomed meme, and how they turned the situation around ?

kingfey

Banned
You say it's viable?
In our household their are six of us. We have three TV's that stream 4k content. We all have smartphones, two Switch and three other consoles PS5, PS4 and One X. I'm on 1gb connection. How good do you think the connection is gonna be when we are all at home using our devices? You think Xcloud is gonna eliminate the need for better Internet overnight? I'm on one of the better and faster Internet speeds.
How are you different than me?

Mine is 400mb. We have tons of kids at home using their phone to access the internet all day nonstop. My mom watches the TV. My sister has her own TV on her room. My brother plays on his ps5 and rtx 3090. I play on all 4, plus watch the TV. Not to mention our phones too.
The amount of data we eat is too much.

But that is irrelevant to xcloud.

Current xcloud is 1080p.

This is stadia settings.
ResolutionData usage
Up to 4K (Stadia Pro only)Up to 20 GB/hr
Up to 1080pUp to 12.6 GB/hr
Up to 720pUp to 4.5 GB/hr
For tvs, they use 3gb for 1080p, and 14gb for 4k.
You are consuming more data, if you have 4k TV, rather than stadia 1080p mode.

We watch movies/shows more than gaming.
Then add game downloads. Destiny 2 is 120gb on ps4. That is 9.5 hour of 1080p streaming.

People CAN afford the streaming services like xcloud and stadia.

The main problem is the input lag, and the connection to the server. These are 2 things that makes it harder for cloud gaming right now. Once those 2 get fixed, majority of gamers will play cloud gaming, since these services will have the same experiences as consoles.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pachter's biggest weakness is his focus is almost exclusively on the US market. Professionally, that's his wheelhouse, so its somewhat understandable but it blinds him to larger global happenings and trends. The reality is that any company has dominance in Europe and Asia, then the US isn't such a priority.

Xbox has always been competitive in the US,. but elsewhere the story simply isn't the same. In Asia particularly, I really don't feel that the brand has much of a foothold at all and that's a major hurdle to be overcome.

I'd also add that I don't believe, globally, that people feel like mobile titles and console/PC titles are in the same product category at all. The growth of mobile in the east has been accompanied by decline in console sales, which says to me that these lines do not cross-promote to any meaningful degree. Buying ABK gives MS access to a lot of stuff, but its scattered. Which I see as being a problem when the overall strategy seems to gathering everything together under the singular Gamepass/XCloud umbrella.

The Alien

Banned
On the point of Sony not having enough IP to fill a sub service, there are plenty of small or mid sized publishers who don't have anywhere near enough games to have their own service so they will just lease their games to Sony just like EA play did for GP. The vast majority of games on GP arnt MSs own IP. Look at Netflix, the biggest streaming service has maybe 2% of the content made by them. Same goes for Spotify, infact they make non of the content themselves.
I think he was way off base with that.
We'll have to politely agree to disagree.

I think Sony can pull of a service, but they have some significant obstacles and aren't in a great place (right now) to do a straight up GamePass competitor.

I feel that quantity, quality, variety and cadence are crucial to a service like GamePass. Not doubting quality of Sony, but as an example MS is positioning themselves in future to have at minimum 4 AAA every year..not including other games they develop or other deals made.

I dont believe people join a service (short or longer term) to play middling single A games or old gen (PS1/PS2) games for that matter either.

GamePass has all those middling types of games. And sure, there's gems in there to be discovered (Remnant From The Ashes, etc.). But whats driving subscriptions is larger games.

With Pachter, he was saying that GamePass is THE gaming subscription service. Its already building brand recognition similar to Netflix. Bethesda and Activision deals were huge - specifically from a content for GamePass perspective. Call of Duty (regardless of exclusivity TBD), you likely will never see it in Sony's sub service. GamepaIts only getting bigger and gaining traction.

Brofist

I doubt that GP alone will destroy the Playstation business, but I wouldn't be surprised if gaming in general is unrecognizable from today in 10 years.

nkarafo

I don't get what this guy's job is. Is he some kind of prophet? Are they still relevant enough to be paid like in a normal job?

I wonder what that guy does 8 hours every day.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't get what this guy's job is. Is he some kind of prophet? Are they still relevant enough to be paid like in a normal job?

I wonder what that guy does 8 hours every day.
He makes polarizing and clickbait opinions on gaming because he knows the nerdom geek industry/social media gets overzealous and hyper-charged with them.

It's not about accuracy, it's about name in the headlines.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well... how mainstream is that? Will it have the same market penetration as any console? It is an interesting accessory. But that's all for now. In the future it can really be mainstream. But it's not like you can't have the same experience elsewhere.

But your point was Sony is starting to play MS' game. And I pointed to you that PSVR2 shows that Sony is playing their own game and doing things at their own speed. They aren't just sitting back copying MS at all.

Mabdia

People though xbox one would succesful, due to how good x360 was. same with ps2 to ps3, or wii to wii u.
Anything can happen in the long run. It will depend on how these companies approach.
If Phil leaves MS, they would be doomed, without suitable successor. These variable are what makes predicting the future gaming hit or a miss.

As long as they vault content, It wont matter. Gamers biggest weakness is reviving old good contents.

Gaming now is great compared to the past. We have huge catalog, which makes us busy. Starfield is like 9 months away. Times flies alot, when you are busy with other games.
Agreed with most of what you said. That being said, to be honest, nothing about nostalgia but to me gaming was better a few years ago. Now we have more technology and the games looks prettier. But creativity looks like it's dying. Also too much politics in games shoved in our face nowadays. I ratter when they used to let politics only implicit. So each one can take the message based in their views of the world. But that might start another discussion whose would be off topic.

If Phil leaves MS, they would be doomed, without suitable successor.

To me that is what happened to Playstation. The last guy who I liked leading Plastation were Andrew House. An I really miss Shu Yoshida as the head of WWS now Playstation Studios or something like it.

But your point was Sony is starting to play MS' game. And I pointed to you that PSVR2 shows that Sony is playing their own game and doing things at their own speed. They aren't just sitting back copying MS at all.

The thing is, I don't see Sony being serious about it. You are right while saying that Sony is investing in something different. But in the end all I can see is that they are being more serious about going multiplataform than in VR. And for now VR is just a accessory and nothing more than this. Also, to be honest, I really don't want that to be the focus of any game developer as I just can't like it.

Last edited:
Not likely. But I do agree that game subscriptions are the future. He compares Gamepass to Netflix and alludes to Sony's service as something similar to Paramount Plus. I think like most people that Game Pass will be the leading game subscription service but Spartacus will atleast be Hulu successful. If they put all their games Day 1 then it would be a real competitor to Game Pass.

kingfey

Banned
Not likely. But I do agree that game subscriptions are the future. He compares Gamepass to Netflix and alludes to Sony's service as something similar to Paramount Plus. I think like most people that Game Pass will be the leading game subscription service but Spartacus will atleast be Hulu successful. If they put all their games Day 1 then it would be a real competitor to Game Pass.
The biggest weakness of these services is content. No one will win, without appropriate content.

Most gamers play different games. And these games are being published by different publishers. If they make their own services, then other services will suffer.

Only way gamepass would be dominant, is to own 50% of publishers. But that is impossible, due to monopoly.

Swift_Star

Banned
Most of bethesda/blizzard/activision games isnt on Switch. That is 3 platforms. Plus call of duty would be supported on playstation. So your point here is useless.

Xcloud is its own platform. You need an internet to play those games. I can play it through android tv.

MS with their own publishers have access to Xcloud, pc and their xbox.
Playstation/switch users have PC. That is if you hate xbox so much, that you dont want to buy xsx or xss.

Xcloud is for people who cant afford Gaming pc, and want to play through cloud gaming. This will be a hit, once cloud gaming issues gets fixed. Smart tvs are also accelerating this process. You dont even need to play it using your phone.

Why are you so adamant in pretend MS isn’t excluding access to Bethesda games? You can try all you want, this is a fact: they’re excluding gamers.

John Wick

The only fanboy here is you getting triggered by facts.
And lol at you acting like Ms vs apple/google as a similar example to xbox vs playstation.
Stop crying. We know Apple trounces MS when it comes to profit.
Pot Kettle Black?
Only pathetic fanboys state "trillion dollar company" when talking about their favourite corporation. You could have easily had a discussion without resorting to fanboyism.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Stop crying. We know Apple trounces MS when it comes to profit.
Pot Kettle Black?
Only pathetic fanboys state "trillion dollar company" when talking about their favourite corporation. You could have easily had a discussion without resorting to fanboyism.

Lol, you expect me to agree. Im just going to converse with you at the same level you're conversing with me...

What are you trying to get out of this exchange?

John Wick

How are you different than me?

Mine is 400mb. We have tons of kids at home using their phone to access the internet all day nonstop. My mom watches the TV. My sister has her own TV on her room. My brother plays on his ps5 and rtx 3090. I play on all 4, plus watch the TV. Not to mention our phones too.
The amount of data we eat is too much.

But that is irrelevant to xcloud.

Current xcloud is 1080p.

This is stadia settings.
ResolutionData usage
Up to 4K (Stadia Pro only)Up to 20 GB/hr
Up to 1080pUp to 12.6 GB/hr
Up to 720pUp to 4.5 GB/hr
For tvs, they use 3gb for 1080p, and 14gb for 4k.
You are consuming more data, if you have 4k TV, rather than stadia 1080p mode.

We watch movies/shows more than gaming.
Then add game downloads. Destiny 2 is 120gb on ps4. That is 9.5 hour of 1080p streaming.

People CAN afford the streaming services like xcloud and stadia.

The main problem is the input lag, and the connection to the server. These are 2 things that makes it harder for cloud gaming right now. Once those 2 get fixed, majority of gamers will play cloud gaming, since these services will have the same experiences as consoles.
Exactly! I have one of the top connections in the UK. Imagine gaming via streaming at peak times when the whole family is using the net???

mckmas8808

I doubt that GP alone will destroy the Playstation business, but I wouldn't be surprised if gaming in general is unrecognizable from today in 10 years.

What does this exactly mean? Gaming has been virtually the same for the last 30 years! We've added some cool stuff, given the internet connectivity but us playing games with controllers on a PS5 is very close to use playing games with a controller on the NES in 1988.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What does this exactly mean? Gaming has been virtually the same for the last 30 years! We've added some cool stuff, given the internet connectivity but us playing games with controllers on a PS5 is very close to use playing games with a controller on the NES in 1988.
Whats funny to me is that people think MS and Sony will leave console gaming behind and go all server based as if gaming servers are cheap. As if Sony and MS will make 100 million consoles and then NOT sell them. On top of that, they will eat that hardware R&D cost, the software development costs and sell subs for just $15 a month. lol

Gaming hardware is far more expensive than what Netflix needs. They might not need 100 million consoles on day one, but even 50 million is a massive commitment. $500 * 50 million is literally $25 billion. They arent just gonna write that off when they can simply have console owners pay for all that.

If anything with everything going VR in the future, you all will need far more powerful hardware. Everyone will need to be plugged in. You will need MORE hardware. Accessories likes gloves and whatever else they need for full body feedback. Ready Player One had people literally running on treadmills.

mckmas8808

Whats funny to me is that people think MS and Sony will leave console gaming behind and go all server based as if gaming servers are cheap. As if Sony and MS will make 100 million consoles and then NOT sell them. On top of that, they will eat that hardware R&D cost, the software development costs and sell subs for just $15 a month. lol

Gaming hardware is far more expensive than what Netflix needs. They might not need 100 million consoles on day one, but even 50 million is a massive commitment. $500 * 50 million is literally $25 billion. They arent just gonna write that off when they can simply have console owners pay for all that.

If anything with everything going VR in the future, you all will need far more powerful hardware. Everyone will need to be plugged in. You will need MORE hardware. Accessories likes gloves and whatever else they need for full body feedback. Ready Player One had people literally running on treadmills.

Exactly! Plus, why would Sony want to reduce themselves to making 3 exclusive games worth of money per year, per gamer? When they can easily get more money out of us, by us just buying the games directly? Most PS5 gamers here on GAF probably bought more than $180 worth of games last year. And if you didn't, I'm 100% sure you will this year with Horizon FW, Elden Ring, GT7, SIFU, Madden, COD, FIFA, NBA 2K, Forspoken, Returnal, CyberPunk 2077 (native PS5 version), GTA V, etc. And that doesn't include any PSVR2 games that will come out this year.

Sony being a service only company would be them throwing money down a toilet. Plus Sony is a hardware company. What do so many forget that?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
10 years is a long time and although Sony is not competing in certain areas now, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

Sony will adjust far before their existence is threatened in any way. Imagine being an "analyst" sounding like some homeless guy holding a sign on the street corner talking about "The End is Nigh"

He's such a joke.

What's worse is that Dealer n Friends absolutely refused to point out inaccuracies in his recalling of how certain things went down in the industry. I mean were they star struck or something? It was kinda pathetic honestly.

Ezquimacore

Banned
This makes even less sense. Are you Michael Pachter?
The PlayStation brand has more brand loyalty than "Sony" if Sony dies you think PlayStation gonna go with them? They're going to sell that shit asap. In the scenario of Sony being dead, that doesn't mean the end of PlayStation.

mckmas8808

10 years is a long time and although Sony is not competing in certain areas now, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

Sony will adjust far before their existence is threatened in any way. Imagine being an "analyst" sounding like some homeless guy holding a sign on the street corner talking about "The End is Nigh"

He's such a joke.

What's worse is that Dealer n Friends absolutely refused to point out inaccuracies in his recalling of how certain things went down in the industry. I mean were they star struck or something? It was kinda pathetic honestly.

It always happens this way. No podcast has ever called him out on their shows. They fawn over him.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I bought a Series X 3 months ago and it’s just been sitting there. It’s still just Forza and Halo. Meanwhile 2 games just entered my top 10 all time in February alone on the competitor console.

MS still has much to prove. I don’t give a fuck about gamepass lol. Just give me quality games

Last edited:

Yoboman

The PlayStation brand has more brand loyalty than "Sony" if Sony dies you think PlayStation gonna go with them? They're going to sell that shit asap. In the scenario of Sony being dead, that doesn't mean the end of PlayStation.
Why would Sony die? They are in the top 50 biggest companies in the world

Get out of your fanboy dream world and back to reality

Top Bottom