• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter - Gamepass will destroy Sony. Sony will cease to exist.

assurdum

Banned
Just imagine if the MS videogame business cease to exist for the heavy Gamepass investment exactly 10 years from such prediction. The karma irony. Be so confident about a success could be very dangerous.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
People really believe MS is going to be releasing three times as many exclusives as Sony with ~32 studios? Have you seen the recent release schedules of some of the studios they have bought? Missed the massive internal recruitment Sony has been carrying out the past few years?

Spartacus is a merging of PS Plus and Now. You're way off the mark.
With Activision on board, MS will have around 20,000 employees in their studios.
While we all like to say that MS is only third in gaming revenue, once Activision goes through Microsoft will be the largest game publisher by far.
A good % of the recent Sony acquisitions were support studios and PC porting studios. MS and Sony both use outside studios to help with their games. Microsoft is using Crystal Dynamics to work on Perfect Dark, and Asobo to do Flight sim for instance.

It may not sound palatable to hear that MS will be putting two or three times as many AAA games out than Sony, but it's true. It's a numbers game.
And since MS bought all those studios like Obsidian, Ninja Theory etc, nearly every single one has pretty much doubled in size.
Playground Games currently has over 120 jobs open in linkedin.
MS knows to keep people in GP they are going to have to have a certain amount of new games coming into the service. They are buying the studios they need to get this done.
Sony will increase their first party studios I'm sure. They just have to keep buying studios like they did with Bluepoint, House and Insomniac etc.
I think Sloclap would be a great get. They wouldn't be expensive, and put out fun beat em up games.
Another 10 or so studios like that and they are able to do a new release every month or two.

With Activision on board, MS will have around 20,000 employees in their studios.
While we all like to say that MS is only third in gaming revenue, once Activision goes through Microsoft will be the largest game publisher by far.
A good % of the recent Sony acquisitions were support studios and PC porting studios. MS and Sony both use outside studios to help with their games. Microsoft is using Crystal Dynamics to work on Perfect Dark, and Asobo to do Flight sim for instance.

It may not sound palatable to hear that MS will be putting two or three times as many AAA games out than Sony, but it's true. It's a numbers game.
And since MS bought all those studios like Obsidian, Ninja Theory etc, nearly every single one has pretty much doubled in size.
MS knows to keep people in GP they are going to have to have a certain amount of new games coming into the service. They are buying the studios they need to get this done.
Sony will increase their first party studios I'm sure. They just have to keep buying studios like they did with Bluepoint, House and Insomniac etc.
I think Sloclap would be a great get. They wouldn't be expensive, and put out fun beat em up games.
Another 10 or so studios like that and they are able to do a new release every month or two.

A majority of those studios aren’t “AAA” studios

Sega Orphan

Banned
Explain "undeniable"? Undeniable are things like the earth revolving around the sun. Game Pass is not undeniable.
Undeniable means too good not to get, and again I'm not talking about Sony players having to go and get it, I'm talking about people who play on PC and Xbox, as well as a large chunk of newbies into gaming. The value proposition it presents is just too good to ignore.

Undeniable means too good not to get, and again I'm not talking about Sony players having to go and get it, I'm talking about people who play on PC and Xbox, as well as a large chunk of newbies into gaming. The value proposition it presents is just too good to ignore.
So are are the majority of pc and xbox owners ignoring it?

Riky

$MSFT
The point is that these will be free into GP while Sony users will have to spend $70 per game. At some point it becomes undeniable.
Sony will have to match it. If GP is selling for $15 per month Sony could easily sell theirs for $17 a month. Not because it's a better service, but because no one is going to change ecosystems to save $2 a month.

Gamepass is only going to get bigger as the economy worsens which with rising costs across the board seems inevitable, the value for money is already incredible and as people's leisure money is squeezed it becomes very attractive, will probably pass that 30 million mark around Starfield I'd guess.

Topher

Gold Member

Meh.....Game Pass is and will be a great value for many, but calling it "undeniable" is just hyperbole

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Sony fanboys triggered by pachter with a simple sentence lol.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think this man cares more about the wine that gets served on his yacht than where good video games come from. Did these people ever own a PlayStation? I just let my GamePass expire because I don’t find games on there that I want to play and I’ve finished a lot of the good ones years ago. It’s still a good thing, but not if you’ve payed for a lot of these games years ago. Even when huge AAA games get released, what’s stopping someone from paying $1-$3 for a month, finish the game, and then cancel the subscription.

Lognor

Banned
Strong words! Can't wait to see how this plays out. It's clear that Sony feels threatened with the moves they've made recently (PC ports, studio acquisitions, etc.). Microsoft really pushing them! This is a good thing.

sol_bad

The point is that these will be free into GP while Sony users will have to spend $70 per game. At some point it becomes undeniable.
Sony will have to match it. If GP is selling for $15 per month Sony could easily sell theirs for $17 a month. Not because it's a better service, but because no one is going to change ecosystems to save $2 a month.

But Sony don't have to do that, PlayStation owners are more than happy to buy first party and exclusive games on PS4/PS5 at fill price based on sales. It's Xbox owners who do not see value in full priced first party games on their chosen console. If Xbox owners don't see value in these games, that should really tell you something about their qaulity.

Hezekiah

Banned

Unfortunately 20,000 employees doesn't automatically equal productivity. The comparison doesn't work when you consider a studio like Insomniac Games apparently has less than 500 employees and is working on three games concurrently. Compare that to the development productivity of studios like 343i and some of Blizzard's studios (Diablo 4, Overwatch 2??.

Three times more games is pie in the sky thinking, double is highly unlikely. Especially if some existing franchises remain multiplatform.

It also occurs to me that Sony seem to have more second-party relationships like Firewalk, Deviation Games, Haven Entertainment, Ember Labs, Arrowhead, Square etc.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Only chance sony has is bringing all their games into PC. In 10 years there will be no more consoles, only pc, mobile and cloud.
Yes.

Its such a scam having to buy exclusive hardware for content. Especially when the hardware is so similar. When cloud gaming is more widespread and people can play TLOU3 via ps cloud on a xbox via its browser and ppl can play elder scrolls 6 on xcloud via the ps5 browser, its going to hard to justify proprietary hardware.

Thats the problem with business all these companies are going to want to be the uniform OS. The closest thing we have is Android in the mobile space.

I do think things will change, there is some desire from sony, jim Ryan has said that its a shame that only 20million or so get to play SGS games and he would like to expand that. So even sony must be looking at the current console business model being somewhat antiquated and lacking in this connected era.
The only problem is being more cloud based and console agnostic will scrape away at the core business model that has been playsation, which has been a closed hardware ecosystem.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
If Game Pass is the reason MS will "destroy Sony" it will not just be Sony that ceases to exist, the console gaming market as a whole will crash. I would be worried, but this dude has about a good a record at predicting things than random fanboy twitter accounts.

I know some people like Dealer want this to happen but it’s extremely unlikely that it will. Gamepass won’t be the thing that destroys PlayStation if it does happen.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I remember 10 years ago some dude predict the same thing for cloud gaming.

How does that prediction aged now?

All console brands are doing just fine.
Actually they've been predicting the death of consoles since the time of the NES.

Swift_Star

Banned
Will they? Because games have been selling pretty more and more at higher prices… GP is not changing anything. It’s not moving the needle. That’s just what is actually happening. GP didn’t disrupt stuff like some expected it to.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
Will they? Because games have been selling pretty more and more at higher prices… GP is not changing anything. It’s not moving the needle. That’s just what is actually happening. GP didn’t disrupt stuff like some expected it to.
GP is in its infancy, and the fact that Sony is coming up with their own version means it has already effected the market.
Xbox this gen is not the xbox of last gen. The xbox series is out selling the xbox one, and I read that it outsold PS5 last month worldwide?
GP is one of the the things that has helped them.
As far as hardware goes, there's nothing between both the PS5 and XSX this gen. They are equivalent to each other, so because of that the hardware hasn't pushed the Xbox more this gen.
MS has purchased alot of new studios, and that awesome, yet these acquisitions hasn't yet given the console a heap of new first party titles, so it's not the games at this point that has pushed the xbox series forward compared to the Xbox One.
The only other real difference between the two consoles is GP. It's the only other factor that can of influenced the increased sales.

Sega Orphan

Banned
Where did you read that? Microsoft does not release Xbox sales numbers. Perhaps you mean NPD results in the US? Not worldwide.
Yeah I just tried to re-find it. It was NPD for the US. There was another post after that with some chart of worldwide sales but looking at it again it didn't have the Xbox outselling the PS5 worldwide, and I couldn't understand the numbers as it seemed low on all counts. Maybe someone else can make sense of it.
X6J6jZr.jpg

TLZ

Banned
Yeah I just tried to re-find it. It was NPD for the US. There was another post after that with some chart of worldwide sales but looking at it again it didn't have the Xbox outselling the PS5 worldwide, and I couldn't understand the numbers as it seemed low on all counts. Maybe someone else can make sense of it.
X6J6jZr.jpg
This is for week 21-27 Feb only. Not the whole month.

See Japan sales here.

Sega Orphan

Banned
This is for week 21-27 Feb only. Not the whole month.

See Japan sales here.
Ok, that makes bit more sense. The gap has certainly closed between the two. Both consoles are still sold out everywhere, so we won't know the real demand until there is enough stock on hand.

dano1

A Sheep
That what blockbuster fans said before netflix.
And also what hbo said every streaming service....but ya, I guess your right, they should do nothing regardless of all competition, that's smart.
Blockbuster was a rental place. I like owning my games. Nice try.

zedinen

We need more people like Pachter.

Investors and analysts like him are giving ammo to Lina Khan, locked in a battle to take down the Big Tech (she is now two-for-two in merger block attempts), and skepticism about the deal going through is growing.

Activision's shares ended trading at $78.76 on Friday, well below the $95 per share deal price.

eEGLEfE.jpeg

Microsoft x Activision would create a $12 billion publisher, larger than EA and Take-Two combined, and larger than Nintendo EPD and PlaySation Studios combined.

Microsoft is trying to "Netscape" an entire industry, from top to bottom, and Sony is the anchor.

fuTQV6V.jpeg

In theory, a $12 billion megapublisher, combined with Microsoft financial muscle and Game Pass would crush the entire industry. In reality, Microsoft would create a bigger problem, something like PlayStation on steroids.

Lina Khan, chair of the FTC: Concentration begets concentration

This is troubling because monopolies and oligopolies produce a host of harms. They depress wages and salaries, raise consumer costs, block entrepreneurship, stunt investment, retard innovation, and render supply chains and complex systems highly fragile.

As a few technology platform companies mediate a rapidly growing share of our commerce and communications, the problem will only worsen.6 Since these gatekeeper firms have captured control over key distribution networks, they can squeeze the businesses reliant on their channels. Furthermore, these firms leverage their platform power into new lines of business, extending their dominance across sectors. Their muscle, in turn, spurs additional consolidation, as both competitors and producers bulk up in order to avoid getting squashed.7 Concentration begets concentration.

Lognor

Banned
But Spartacus will change everything, right? Where the hell is it btw? We've been hearing about it for months and still nothing. Sony is obviously worried about Game Pass, hence this new Spartacus thing they got cooking. Hopefully it's not another dud like PS Now though. They just need to emulate what Microsoft is doing. That's what people want.

But Spartacus will change everything, right? Where the hell is it btw? We've been hearing about it for months and still nothing. Sony is obviously worried about Game Pass, hence this new Spartacus thing they got cooking. Hopefully it's not another dud like PS Now though. They just need to emulate what Microsoft is doing. That's what people want.
The biggest benefit of Gamepass compared to psnow is the seriousness of the marketing behind it. MS just won't shut up about it, they buy all the influencers, present it as the be all end all of gaming (as if 2 or 3 hundred games was nearly enough to cover everyone's tastes).

The lie of the day and date resonates with people.

Lognor

Banned
The biggest benefit of Gamepass compared to psnow is the seriousness of the marketing behind it. MS just won't shut up about it, they buy all the influencers, present it as the be all end all of gaming (as if 2 or 3 hundred games was nearly enough to cover everyone's tastes).

The lie of the day and date resonates with people.
LOL, what even is this?

The marketing is the reason Game Pass is a success and PS Now is a failure? Nah, that ain't it. You're kidding yourself. Sony marketed the hell out of PS Now. It was just that no one was interested in it. Sony was giving PS Now away for the longest time. PS Now had those same ridiculous prices of $1/month and still no one was subscribing.

Sure, Microsoft does a lot of marketing around Game Pass, but the product speaks for itself. It's that good. PS Now is not good. That's the biggest benefit of Game Pass compared to PS Now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
LOL, what even is this?

The marketing is the reason Game Pass is a success and PS Now is a failure? Nah, that ain't it. You're kidding yourself. Sony marketed the hell out of PS Now. It was just that no one was interested in it. Sony was giving PS Now away for the longest time. PS Now had those same ridiculous prices of $1/month and still no one was subscribing.

Sure, Microsoft does a lot of marketing around Game Pass, but the product speaks for itself. It's that good. PS Now is not good. That's the biggest benefit of Game Pass compared to PS Now.

It's almost as if the people championing PS Now never actually tried it.

Top Bottom