• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter homoerotically discusses big new game CEOs - "Phil Spencer is a stud"

border

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/rcd2dv/pach-attack--ceo-low-down-at-e3

"Phil is a stud, Phil is such a good guy.....I don't know anyone who doesn't like Phil.......Phil had the balls to pull Kinect out of the box......What t-shirt is he going to wear on stage?"

"[Electronic Arts CEO] Andrew Wilson is really handsome. So you've got this handsome dude who sounds really smart.....If only he could get EA Sports to make a good NBA game, then I think the man would be perfect in every way and I would marry him because he is so cute."

"If you see me at E3, then come on up and say hello....love to meet my fans, both of them, so if either one of you guys is at E3 come up and say hi."

Obviously Pachter's weird attraction to certain figures in gaming isn't really the thrust of the video, but it's still a nice rundown of the newest figures running some of gaming's biggest companies. I've always found it amusing how finance/stock guys have this vaguely sexual admiration of the CEOs that deliver exactly what they want -- huge, throbbing dividends and steady erections of stock price.

I also think this is an interesting counter to a number of dumb clickbait fluff articles I've noticed recently -- articles like "Top 10 Hottest Female Tech CEOs", "Most Desirable Women Game Designers," etc. Kind of refreshing to see objectification from a completely different angle. Most people's criticisms of sexism in game culture tend to imply a desire for censorship, but maybe the solution is just that people who want to objectify men should get equal time. Or maybe not.

Anyhow, this video works as a nice companion piece to Gametrailers' Top Ten Man-Babes.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Male-to-male sexuality is so skewed in our society. This is not homoerotic. It's just fun. It might make some poor fool feel uncomfortable but they're worse off by it. The fact that he doesn't take himself so serious that discussing fellow guys sexual appeal is admirable and funny.

RedAssedApe

Banned
don't see anything wrong with his comments. the only sort of weird one was when he started talking about how the EA guy is handsome and smart sounding because of his aussie accent. and of course he used the word cute at the end...that was funny

pachter also throwing peter moore under the bus...granted he also made a self deprecating comment about himself :)

soultron

Banned
I also think this is an interesting counter to a number of dumb clickbait fluff articles I've noticed recently -- articles like "Top 10 Hottest Female Tech CEOs", "Most Desirable Women Game Designers," etc. Kind of refreshing to see objectification from a completely different angle. Most people's criticisms of sexism in game culture tend to imply a desire for censorship, but maybe the solution is just that people who want to objectify men should get equal time. Or maybe not.

Hahah--wait, what the fuck? You're kidding right? These aren't actual articles lists that exist, are they? If so, absolutely embarrassing, shameful shit.

Back on topic, Pachter's willingness to disarm people with his lack of seriousness -- applied at the right times -- is why I think he's a great guy/stud.
Does that make you uncomfortable?

Tripon

I do wonder if Pachter allows his personal relationships cloud his analysis. He doesn't know Iwata, so he has an easier time savaging him, but he never did that with Don Mattrick despite his obvious missteps.

soultron

Banned
I do wonder if Pachter allows his personal relationships cloud his analysis. He doesn't know Iwata, so he has an easier time savaging him, but he never did that with Don Mattrick despite his obvious missteps.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think if Mattrick was still onboard with the XBOX brand, he'd be an easy person to "savage" too. When Mattrick was around, pre-XB1, it was hard to make a case as to why Mattrick was bad for the brand since, from the outside at a high level, the 360 was a solid success, everywhere but Japan.

And it's easy to attribute XB1's PR turnaround (which I think has been favourable, the last few months) to someone approachable and seemingly transparent like Spencer. He seems to love games in earnest and is more personable since he's engaging the audience on social media more than Mattrick did. (To my knowledge, Mattrick never did.)

border

Hahah--wait, what the fuck? You're kidding right? These aren't actual articles lists that exist, are they? If so, absolutely embarrassing, shameful shit.

I'm relatively positive that I saw the Hottest Tech CEOs article earlier this week on some clickbait website. Given the highly sexualized nature of the clickbait industry, I'm not sure why it is a surprise. My quick Google search returns:

Top 10 Hottest Female CEOs
Top 10 Beautiful, Hot and Sexy Female Executives to Watch
The 40 Hottest Women in Tech

Eh, Pachter seems to have his details all messed up.

Shawn Layden was never head of Europe, at least based off any written record of his work. David Reeves was back in 2005-2009, when he got replaced by Andrew House, who then moved up to become head of Playstation in 2011, after Kaz got promoted. Jim Ryan replaced Andrew House as head of Europe ever since then.

Shawn Layden was head of SCEJ back in 2009 at least for a few years. He launched the PSP3000 and GTPSP.

RedAssedApe

Banned
why do i think you're right about that maybe not shenmue but ... i see him in a blazer and then him unbuttoning it revealing some sort of game logo on his shirt lol

yeah the big reveal or exclusive is gonna be something like this...he'll do it at the beginning of the conference and not say anything and then...bam megaton he finally acknowledge it at the close and they show footage lol

e3fanfic

Yaoibot

Phil Spencer is not handsome. He has a rather smug, unsymetrical, and pinched face. His voice has a squeak. He's not in particularly decent shape either, unless "gelatinous" counts as a shape. That EA fellow, and Ted Price however, are some rather well-kept men.

border

Yeah, not even going to click to give them traffic. The URLs belong to sites that are total gongshows, so it's not surprising, as you've said.

The only funny thing is that the Top 40 Hottest Women in Tech list includes Anita Sarkeesian. I would never call her unattractive, but anybody that watched even 2 minutes of her content would know that she wouldn't want to be included on any list of "Hottest Women." So it's just an amusingly subversive choice.

CoG

Phil has good hair going for him, sort of, I guess.

This dude wins the execs with good hair for the week, hands down.

roQTCht.jpg

Dennis

Banned
The raw sexuality of videogames is hard to deny. Pachter breaking new ground.

Next up: Top Ten Hottest NeoGAF Posters.

I just hope Phil doesn't wear Token Indie Shirt #5

I hope he changes shirts in real time. Slowly removes his old shirt, seductively rubs down his toned body before pinching his nipples and putting on a new tee.

All the while dancing suggestively. Hips gyrating, ass clapping, balls flailing free in the wind...

aly

Andrew Wilson is very handsome. I was thinking that all the way at the original Xbox One reveal. So is Andrew House and Yoshida. Just wanted to say that :)

Head.spawn

Phil is the type of guy I could see myself having a beer with at the bar, maybe one things leads to another and he releases Phantom Dust 2 and then we're calling a cab, total studmuffin.

jgminto

He's not wrong, they're handsome men. Maybe Pachter should start predicting male model contests instead of video games.

Sayers

Something about Phil Spencer's smile makes him look like a real smug asshole. I'm sure he's the nicest guy, though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
That's just the way he is. He's joking around. Do people even watch his videos or just try to attack him at every opportunity lol

So, are we supposed to agree that Pachter likes men and therefore is unqualified to discuss Nintendo's financials, or...

I mean, I'm not saying everyone always has to have an agenda, but I at least hope you have an agenda and don't just spend all day long thinking about the hypothetical sexual preferences of mildly well-known industry personalities.

Marlowe89

Pachter isn't really being homoerotic, just annoying. He's that one guy at the party who tells awkward jokes and won't shut the fuck up.

Metfanant

Stud is a really common word used in the sports world (in america anyway) to describe a player who is very good at their particular sport...

Such as

Q: "What do you think of (insert player name)?"

A: "The guy is a stud"

Its not homoerotic at all...

d0nnie

Banned
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/rcd2dv/pach-attack--ceo-low-down-at-e3

"Phil is a stud, Phil is such a good guy.....I don't know anyone who doesn't like Phil.......Phil had the balls to pull Kinect out of the box......What t-shirt is he going to wear on stage?"

Hmm, didn't ntkrnl leak that a Kinect-less SKU was going to be released between March/April? It happened in June, not too far off. This means that MSFT had it in the cards all along, before Spencer took control of Xbox. That would mean that credit is being given where credit is NOT due....

I don't have a problem with it. At worst, it's awkward. At best, it's hilarious.

And to be honest, I'd push their buttons too. I'd let them dew my ritos. I'd get them to X my bone. I'd watch them PS4 me. If you know what I mean.

no homo

beril

Had to google them. Kinda handsome I guess but not really my type either of them, and really didn't like Spencer's on stage persona last E3

Top Bottom