Microgenres

"Diablo type loot game but it's a shooter" has maybe half a dozen examples? Not so much a highly specific micro-genre as a hybrid of two fairly popular things, but it's a distinct entity.

Hellgate
Borderlands series
Destiny
The Division
Warframe depending on who you ask

Mansion games:
Games that take place primarily exploring one house.

Maniac Mansion

Resident Evil 1 (and 7 to some extent)

Gone Home

Please name some others, I tend to love them.

One could argue that Shadow of the Colossus is a genre of one; it's only recently with Prey For The Gods that we're getting something that's even attempting gameplay in that vein, aka hero fighting massive beasts that you can climb on freely

I guess Spacechem and its ilk are another, the puzzler that seems like it's about some other theme but is really secretly about programming. The idea is that it can't actually feature coding (so TIS is out), but the mechanics are actually abstracted programming functions

SpaceChem

Infinifactory

Japanese first-person shooters that are actually full-on FPSes and not rail shooters

Star Cruiser

Gun Buster

Crime Crackers

Kileak: The DNA Imperative (and its sequel, Epidemic)

Coded Arms

Japanese first-person shooters that are actually full-on FPSes and not rail shooters
Also, Japanese dungeon crawling shooters set in some sort of robotic suit

Iron Angel of the Apocalypse (and sequel)

Kileak: The DNA Imperatives (and sequels) (only noticed it was in the quoted post after the fact, doh. Though it's worth noting Brahma Force is a spiritual sequel to Kileak)

Robotica

Rengoku Tower of Purgatory (and sequel)

Also, Japanese dungeon crawling shooters set in some sort of robotic suit

Iron Angel of the Apocalypse (and sequel)

Kileak: The DNA Imperatives (and sequels) (only noticed it was in the quoted post after the fact, doh. Though it's worth noting Brahma Force is a spiritual sequel to Kileak)

Robotica

Rengoku Stairway to Heaven
Not a shooter, but MeiQ is a Vita DRPG with girls in mechs.

How about adding turn-based elements to a genre that usually isn't

Which is basically Ronin (turn-based action/stealth platformer), Mighty Tactical Shooter (turn-based shmup, still in development), and SuperHOT (pseudo-turn-based FPS)

Ronin

Mighty Tactical Shooter

SuperHOT

Here's a microgenre which I think a single developer has a monopoly on (LOL) but has graced FIVE different publishers across three different platforms!

Giant robot action game controlled by in-game remote/virtual control(s)

Remote Control Dandy (Human) - PS1
Gigantic Drive/Robot Alchemic Drive (Enix) - PS2
Remote Control Dandy SF (Konami) - PS2
Tetsujin 28 (Bandai) - PS2
Chosoju Mecha MG (Nintendo) - DS
These games are all developed by Sandlot, the creators of EDF. It seems like they hit on the idea of making a game where instead of direct action controls you use an in-game logic control scheme, and they just rolled with that pitch to one publisher after another. Lmao.

90s PC action-adventure games where the appeal lies mostly in laughing at the contrast between the games' ridiculously low-poly character models and their extremely self-serious plot and setting

Alone in the Dark

Ecstatica

Fade to Black

Bioforge

The Trauma Center/Team series made its own "Arcade Surgery" genre. There was one Adult Swim game, but besides that the genre really wasn't touched much by anyone (or Atlus after the Wii).

First Person Shooters Where You Shoot Something Other Than Bullets:

Portal:
The Unfinished Swan:
Single Player Games with Asymmetric Gameplay :

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons:
Soft Body:
ibb & obb:

Fully Competent Games That Also Contain Music Creation Tools:

Sound Shapes:
FRACT OSC:
LittleBigPlanet:
Platformers with No Legs or No Jumping:

Snake Pass:
Mushroom 11:
Thumpers (Weird, Anxiety Inducing Fever Dreams):

Thumper:

I haven't seen more games like Neighbors from Hell except some russian shovelware...it's a series of point and click games about basically pranking your neighbor in a reality TV show and you need to get enough pranks going on to keep the rating up.

There's also The Incredible Machine and the Crazy Machines games where you build a Rube Goldberg machine using many physics based things.

I haven't seen more games like Neighbors from Hell except some russian shovelware...it's a series of point and click games about basically pranking your neighbor in a reality TV show and you need to get enough pranks going on to keep the rating up.
Isn't this a take on Spy vs. Spy?

Haunting starring Polterguy would also be part of this microgenre.

Super Smash Bros. is like its own genre, which is mostly itself, Playstation All-Stars, and other D-tier knockoffs like Cartoon Network, TMNT, and the Wii Force Unleashed 2 game. Party fighter? Brawler? I dunno.
You forgot Power Stone.

Eastern European Misery Simulators (Games that tend to be bleak and/or unforgiving made by devs from Slavic countries)

Pathologic

STALKER

Metro

Cryostasis

"Diablo type loot game but it's a shooter" has maybe half a dozen examples? Not so much a highly specific micro-genre as a hybrid of two fairly popular things, but it's a distinct entity.

Hellgate
Borderlands series
Destiny
The Division
Warframe depending on who you ask
There will never be enough of these for my tastes. There will never be enough Diablo-style loot games of any kind for my tastes.

Single Player Games with Asymmetric Gameplay :

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons:

Soft Body:

ibb & obb:
Cookie and Cream

I like this thread. I'll try: Top-down Cooperative Games That Go Horribly Wrong And Destroy Friendships

Magicka 1, and I assume Magicka 2:

Overcooked:

Super Smash Bros. is like its own genre, which is mostly itself, Playstation All-Stars, and other D-tier knockoffs like Cartoon Network, TMNT, and the Wii Force Unleashed 2 game. Party fighter? Brawler? I dunno.
Platform Fighter

And it'd be more of a subgenre than a micro one. I could easily bring up a list and it'd be way more than any other micro-genre brought up in this thread. There are just that many games. It's just a matter of most of the games being unknown (and an even smaller amount of those actually being worth playing and/or readily available in English)

The only one close enough is the Jump super and ultimate stars games, but those were made by nintendo too, so they don't count.
No it fucking wasn't

Mansion games:
Games that take place primarily exploring one house.

Maniac Mansion

Resident Evil 1 (and 7 to some extent)

Gone Home

Please name some others, I tend to love them.
Fatal Frame 1
Fatal Frame 3 to some extent
you're exploring a mix of locations from 2 and 1 and some new areas, and also have your own house.
Fatal Frame 4 also, though not really a 'house'.

How about adding turn-based elements to a genre that usually isn't

Which is basically Ronin (turn-based action/stealth platformer), Mighty Tactical Shooter (turn-based shmup, still in development), and SuperHOT (pseudo-turn-based FPS)

Ronin

Mighty Tactical Shooter

SuperHOT

Any Turn based 2D fighters?

I'd add The Armageddon Man to the 'cold war sims' category.

I guess Spacechem and its ilk are another, the puzzler that seems like it's about some other theme but is really secretly about programming. The idea is that it can't actually feature coding (so TIS is out), but the mechanics are actually abstracted programming functions
There's another (Flash) game that's kind of like a 2D infinifactory although the goal is rearranging data, but I can't recall the name of it right now. *Might* be a Zach Barth title, not sure. I'll see if I can find out what it was.

Edit: Manufactoria.