• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s E3 2014 press conference is looking really bad in retrospective

Green Yoshi

A couple of days ago I read an interesting article on an Austrian gaming website about the press conference from Microsoft in 2014.

Dance Central Spotlight

Irrelevant. Kinect is dead.

Fable Legends

Estimated production budget of $75 million Canceled.

Project Spark

Dead. The Conker DLC was never released.

Scalebound

Canceled, too.

Sunset Overdrive

Commercial flop. A successor is very unlikely.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

A lot of annoying bugs in the online multiplayer mode prevented it to become this gen's Orange Box.

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Great game, but a lot of people complained about the exclusivity. An improved version with PSVR support was released one year later.

Phantom Dust Reboot

Guess what? Canceled.

Crackdown 3

Disapppointing E3 2017 trailer. Was postponed to Spring 2018.

Ori and the Blind Forest

Beautiful little game. Probably the only title of the show that exceeded expectations.

Here a link to the (German) article:
http://mag.shock2.info/kolumne-microsofts-katastrophale-e3-2014/

Kyoufu

It was always bad though. Lots of CG trailers for games that didn't even exist or were a long, long way off. It reeked of desperation.

What?

Because the seeds for our disappointment are sown in the past.

Ugh,

I was at the conference and it was a fun conference. The Master Chief collection certainly didn't live up to expectations, but I enjoyed it.. and the reveal was awesome.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Stuff like this is why I don't really get hyped for E3 press conferences anymore. So much smoke and mirrors. It's not just Microsoft, either.

Yeah... Even though leadership moved around by then, E3 2014 is definitely still a product of the original vision for the Xbox One. At least we got Sunset Overdrive and Ori out of it! I'm quite happy with MCC as well, though I use it as a way to play through the Halo titles solo.

Conker DLC did release. Small, but if you are going to post a thread like this... By the logic of MS successes, TR exclusivity pissing people off means nothing, too.

But yes conferences are a hype mess, you are posting in ground zero of hype.

jacobeid

Banned

Quality post.

OP, Microsoft certainly has dropped the ball on exclusives this gen and I don't think the regime change helped in that regard. Still, seeing this thread highlights what we've experienced the last few years.

Also I think you forgot about Forza Horizon 2, which was excellent (and the reason I bought an XB1 along with SO, Halo: MCC, and Scalebound).

Quality post.

OP, Microsoft certainly has dropped the ball on exclusives this gen and I don't think the regime change helped in that regard. Still, seeing this thread highlights what we've experienced the last few years.

Also I think you forgot about Forza Horizon 2, which was excellent (and the reason I bought an XB1 along with SO, Halo: MCC, and Scalebound).

Misses FH2 also?
What is the point of this thread again?

blakep267

To be fair, that version of Phantom Dust did not release. Wasn't it supposed to be a full remaster vs. just an HD-remake?

Damn... That's almost as bad as when I bought a PS3 for FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3.
The rebooted PD was actually just a remake of the old game. Going from the leaked clips it was MP only palace. More was to be added before it was cancelled.

Even with the multiplayer broken, MCC is one of the best compilation/remke/remaster of this generation. The amount of content you get is unmatched.

Dance Central Spotlight

Irrelevant. Kinect is dead.

It was relevant at the time and is irrelevant to your point that could've been better justified.

Fable Legends

Estimated production budget of $75 million Canceled.
Yes, big misfire and a tremendous misread of the franchise and its fanbase. Not everything needs to be GAAS.

Project Spark

Dead. The Conker DLC was never released.
Conker DLC was indeed released and was quite fun. Personally I had a great time with Project Spark but I can understand why it was discontinued: it was no Minecraft and it tried too hard.

Scalebound

Canceled, too.
Yeap.

Sunset Overdrive

Commercial flop. A successor is very unlikely.
Sunset Overdrive sales have a lot more to do with install base than the game quality. It was a great game, I still don't know a single person that has played it that wasn't amused by it and had a great time playing it.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

A lot of annoying bugs in the online multiplayer mode prevented it to become this gen's Orange Box.
I understand but disagree. I think it delivered well on its promise, especially on future proofing the Halo legacy and showing it to newcomers to Xbox (that weren't too many to begin with)

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Great game, but a lot of people complained about the exclusivity. An improved version with PSVR support was released one year later.
I honestly don't know what PSVR has to do with it. It was a great game, ran fine on Xbox One and was MS's response to Uncharted that was to be released alongside it. Uncharted ended up being pushed and the timed exclusivity felt short.

Phantom Dust Reboot

Guess what? Canceled.
I'd rather they cancel it than release a poorly concepted reboot. The remake ended up being a better solution to this anyway.

Crackdown 3

Disapppointing E3 2017 trailer. Was postponed to Spring 2018.
Agree.

Ori and the Blind Forest

Beautiful little game. Probably the only title of the show that exceeded expectations.
Disagree but understand since the expectations seems to be personal.

EdgeXL

The Conker DLC for Project Spark was released. I played it.

I enjoy playing Phantom Dust.

Sunset Overdrive was awesome. I wish more people bought it but I wouldn't say it was bad for the game to be at E3.

Loved Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Dance Central Spotlight is still played at my house.

I agree with the rest of your list.

sam12

Doesn't seem like they learned much.

Definitely did, they have worked to fix their mistakes starting with the hardware and services like BC and Gamepass. Yeah they might be low on 1st party but they have also learned to delay and fix a game(Crackdown, Sea of Thieves etc) rather than rushing to release it broken. Plus their focus will be on 1st party games starting next year, with a packed lineup in early 2018 which is also something they have learned to do, rather than releasing games in holiday time. So yeah they have learned and are learning.

Footos22

Sunset Overdrive is really the Best game I have ever played on XboxOne. It's also completely exclusive.

Yep easily my favourite and the least generic. Had an absolute blast. Bought it twice in the end as missed it after I sold it.

It's dead now though. Any hope of 4k patch etc is a fart in the wind. They got bigger fish to fry

sam12

Why live in the future? Be in the present. Actually the present and the future don't look much better for Microsoft when it comes to the games department. I'm really hoping they have some surprise games in development.

Maybe not for what you want but I am looking forward to Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, Cuphead, State of Decay, Ori 2 and whatever else they might announce. I am quite satisfied with 3rd party games releasing this year along with Cuphead and PUBG. I will have enough to play

Zukkoyaki

That E3 was definitely a "show EVERYTHING" conference in an effort to right the ship after flubbing the Xbox One's debut in 2013. Even a week or so prior they announced Halo 5 and Horizon 2. They knew they needed to garner as much goodwill as possible so they didn't hold anything back. In retrospect, it wasn't a good idea showing some of those games when they did but enthusiasm was pretty high coming away from that show so I guess mission accomplished.

They where in a desperate spot and just tossed shit at a wall and most of it didnt stick. It happens.

I am more bummed that its been 3 years and MS still seems like they are fumbling around with their first / second party.

Maybe not for what you want but I am looking forward to Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, Cuphead, State of Decay, Ori 2 and whatever else they might announce. I am quite satisfied with 3rd party games releasing this year along with Cuphead and PUBG. I will have enough to play

Forgot about Cuphead and Ori 2, those will be awesome. As for the other stuff they don't quite get me excited.

TyrantII

That's Microsoft for you.

I wish they'd just spin off XBox and allow them to focus on the gaming market. This sort of crap must be incredibly frustrating to those that work there and don't want the XBox brand to just be another line item in the corporate income sheet.

sam12

They where in a desperate spot and just tossed shit at a wall and most of it didnt stick. It happens.

I am more bummed that its been 3 years and MS still seems like they are fumbling around with their first / second party.

I don't think they are, they have structured more towards games that will last a while like Sea of a Thieves, that's their future with games as a service and a few small budget games for single player focus. Might not satisfy everyone but it there is a crowd that they are appealing to and will help them make money and stay afloat

Top Bottom