• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s E3 2014 press conference is looking really bad in retrospective

cireza

On Xbox One, I am looking forward to (next months) :
Recore DE
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Sonic Forces
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
replaying FF XV and Doom on Xbox One X
and many other third party games, as well as what will be made available through backward compatibility for OG Xbox and 360

Plenty of games to play on Xbox One.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But I thought MS only shows games that are releasing the same year unlike Sony which shows games that dont release for another year.

Oh right, in reality MS also reveals games not just 1 year out but 3-4 years out seeing as how crackdown still hasnt been released.

Oh and unlike Sony they love showing cancelled games. the funny thing is that i would have sold my X1 a long time ago if it wasnt for these fake conferences telling me MS was investing in new IPs. Now I cant even get a $100 for my $500 launch X1.

Skyo

The keyword here is 'commercial'. SO is a fun game but its true that it didn't meet sales expectations.

Lets just all admit that Microsoft needs to step up their game. They wont surpass the PS4 this gen but i'm sure theyre setting up for the next with 1st party

To retroactively shit on Xbox :D

It's too trendy to shit on current day Xbox.

At this rate, I fully expect someone to start a thread crapping all over how bad Windows ME was. Because when you're using the way-back machine to crap all over a company, why stop at 2014?

Yes, Microsoft and their XBox Division need to step up their game. But does crapping all over an E3 presentation from three years ago really help, or is it more of a dig? Or should we start pulling crappy Sony E3s from the PS3 era to highlight how they lost last-gen?

There's little constructive in the OP's post or intent for this thread. IF you want to discuss something constructive, like steps Microsoft could take to get out of their current predicament, then that's a great thread I can get behind. But this...*shakes head*

But I thought MS only shows games that are releasing the same year unlike Sony which shows games that dont release for another year.

Oh right, in reality MS also reveals games not just 1 year out but 3-4 years out seeing as how crackdown still hasnt been released.

Oh and unlike Sony they love showing cancelled games. the funny thing is that i would have sold my X1 a long time ago if it wasnt for these fake conferences telling me MS was investing in new IPs. Now I cant even get a $100 for my $500 launch X1.
Yeah im sure they revealed these games to not only spend more money on longer development.. but to even cancel some! /s

sam12

That's the new philosophy that they have adapted to, I believe only starting off at this year's E3. How can they take into account all the games announced before that time. They are learning from past mistakes and this is a sign of it as well

What's up with this revisionist history people like to do?

Dance Central Spotlight is irrelevant because Kinect is dead? Mkay....it wasn't at the time and the game came it to decent reviews

Project Spark - "Conner DLC never came out"...that's just not true. Game "lasted" about 3 years...not too bad, but definitely a missed opportunity

Sunset - all you can do is call it a commercial flop? What the hell does that have to do with it making their conference bad? The game was damn fun and unique and the only thing you can contribute is that it didn't sell well, as if that impacts its existence as a product to play today.

Halo MCC - Has had a fuck ton of issues but many have enjoyed it for the SP at least.

RotTR - First of all, it wasn't even announced as timed exclusive until Gamescom. A short trailer was shown at E3...

Half the things you said don't actually contribute to the show itself being poor.

What's up with this revisionist history people like to do?

Dance Central Spotlight is irrelevant because Kinect is dead? Mkay....it wasn't at the time and the game came it to decent reviews

Project Spark - "Conner DLC never came out"...that's just not true. Game "lasted" about 3 years...not too bad, but definitely a missed opportunity

Sunset - all you can do is call it a commercial flop? What the hell does that have to do with it making their conference bad? The game was damn fun and unique and the only thing you can contribute is that it didn't sell well, as if that impacts its existence as a product to play today.

Halo MCC - Has had a fuck ton of issues but many have enjoyed it for the SP at least.

RotTR - First of all, it wasn't even announced as timed exclusive until Gamescom. A short trailer was shown at E3...

Half the things you said don't actually contribute to the show itself being poor.

Masterchief collection being a massive fuck up of epic proportions still depresses me to this day. I still can't fathom how Microsoft sent out their flagship franchise, the biggest one they have, out the door like that.

Kill3r7

Masterchief collection being a massive fuck up of epic proportions still depresses me to this day. I still can't fathom how Microsoft sent out their flagship franchise, the biggest one they have, out the door like that.

Agreed. Their timing could not have been worse. People bounced right off it and back to Destiny.

cakely

There were some disappointing eventual results from that E3 conference but you can really take Sunset Overdrive off that list, it was not a disappointing game at all.

Also Pro Tip: Posts consisting of nothing but "why did you make this thread" are considered to be thread whining. I was once banned for it and I learned my lesson.

Rocketz

Well SO was great and I don't know why it under performing makes the conference look bad. Horizon 2 which you didn't mention is amazing along with Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha is a really fun DLC.

MouldyK

Not mentioned Horizon 2 made this thread fail.

That game has already spawned a sequel which was equally great and wiped the sick which was FM5 from our mouths.

sam12

This is why there need to a change in leadership.

Leadership is fine, they are not going to announce anything new now unless releasing within a year so naturally there will be a period of time with less announcements. That time is now. 2018 seems to be looking good and next E3 will have announcements.

Was so excited for Project Spark and used it quite a bit at launch. Even made a few basic games.

What killed it for me more than anything, even more than glitches, was the lack of tutorials on how to do anything. The tutorial included was basic as fuck and the devs response to more tutorials was to check YouTube for some man made tutorial videos.

That shit pissed me off beyond belief, even more than the DLC pricing and technical issues.

peppers

Thank fuck they delayed Crackdown. More time for the first two to become BC + much needed polish.

Rise of the Tomb Raider having one year of exclusivity somehow has to do something with PSVR I guess (they wouldn't release it for PS4 and not have any kind of extras...) but then we should include the recent news about it looking insane on X1X IMO*.

Closing Lionhead was fucked up though. They'd better have some good reason for this.

E3 2014 had little to do with Spencer though, and a lot to do with them trying to show as many games as they could since word of mouth was that Xbox was shit and it had no games.

Edit: *2015 game after all

Vimes

More than anything I remember about this year is how much was CG trailers and false promises. Remember when a dev for Phantom Dust said that the trailer was made without consulting the devs at all? And don't even get me started about the MCC; I nearly got a XBO instead of a PS4 that fall because of how great they made it sound, I would have been livid.

Easily the most duplicitous E3 showing from one of the big three I can recall. I'm still bitter about it.

KeepersDome

Sunset Overdrive wasn't great but it was fun and had it's moments.

It was an obviously dumb idea at the time for Insomniac Games to make it an Xbox exclusive game at the time.

But considering Insomniac Games holds the IP perhaps they would make a sequel that could be on the PS4 too. I feel the game would sell a lot better if it was on the PS4.

People seem to want to leap to their defense here, but in all honesty it is kind of crazy when you look at it in terms of how many of the big name games featured there were canceled or delayed.

Like, picture if we suddenly find out that Mario Odyssey is cancelled, and Mario x Rabbids is cancelled, and Metroid Prime 4 never really got off the ground, and Metroid 3DS is delayed 2 years. Nintendo E3 2017 wouldn't look so good in retrospect, would it?

EdgeXL

There's little constructive in the OP's post or intent for this thread. IF you want to discuss something constructive, like steps Microsoft could take to get out of their current predicament, then that's a great thread I can get behind. But this...*shakes head*

p7ttTxC.jpg

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Weird post, OP. Not sure what conversational value is here.

Sunset Overdrive was great, by the way; one of the few interesting new IPs we've had this gen outside of Horizon.

Vinc

Man, MCC is still the biggest bummer of this gen. Made me cancel XBL and never look back. MP was entirely unplayable for months, and remains super broken to this day.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Doesn't some website do E3 restrospectives after 1-2-3 years and see what made it and what got canceled? I think the most consistent to release was Nintendo, but also the fewest numbers, with MS being worst in terms of actual output vs. announcenment.

jayu26

But nobody else was willing to fund it.

Funding wasn't the issue. Insomniac wanted to own the IP. MS was the only one okay with that. And this has been the most sticking point for me, that even though Insomniac owns the IP they have to get MS's approval to put it on PC. What hell is point of owning the IP then?

Funding wasn't the issue. Insomniac wanted to own the IP. MS was the only one okay with that. And this has been the most sticking point for me, that even though Insomniac owns the IP they have to get MS's approval to put it on PC. What hell is point of owning the IP then?
They can control merchandise such as movies books cartoons etc

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
The appreciation for Sunset Overdrive in this thread is so nice to see. Easily the best Xbox One game and one of the best games this gen. Still foolishly hope for a sequel.

Gestault

Project Spark

Dead. The Conker DLC was never released.

What are you talking about here? It was released and decently well recieved. They only charged $5 as a good-will gesture, then when the project was being shelved a few years in, refunded even that.

I think a retrospective on a particular conference (especially if the contemporary reaction ends up at odds with how it was eventually delivered on) is interesting enough, but when someone is so lazy about it that they're skipping major titles (Like Horizon 2), inventing or exaggerating problems (like the Conker thing), and generally just low-effort criticism instead of actually being on the level about it, it's pointless. If the reasoning is selective or so clearly working for a forgone conclusion ("this one doesn't count because it sold poorly, and this one doesn't count because I didn't like it, this one doesn't count because they did a new edition later, et al"), it's hard not to assume that.

EvB

What is the point in this thread, exactly?

There are too many threads already about Xbox's lack of games to warrant making a new one, so we need to go back into the archives.

Remember that time a Microsoft employee said Deal with it?

Microsoft turned of OG Xbox live!

My 360 Red ringed!

Green Yoshi

It just baffles me that Microsoft still gets criticized for their E3 2013 press conference that was quite decent, but people forget about 2014 completely.

The problem of Microsoft is their lack of games, not that Xbox One was bundled with Kinect in 2013. I'm not interested in the past if it doesn't affect the present. My Xbox One S was never bundled with Kinect so why should I care about 2013? But when I will visit gamescom tomorrow I will see a lot of interesting games from many publishers but only few games from Microsoft that interests me. And that's because Microsoft made a lot of mistakes a few years ago.

Here a link to the (German) article:
http://mag.shock2.info/kolumne-microsofts-katastrophale-e3-2014/

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
There are too many threads already about Xbox's lack of games to warrant making a new one, so we need to go back into the archives.

Remember that time a Microsoft employee said Deal with it?

Microsoft turned of OG Xbox live!

My 360 Red ringed!

Hold my beer while I make a thread about how shitty it was when PSN was down for a month.

Cramoss

OP, you should research more instead of just writing stuff you kinda remember based on a video game forum before making a thread like this

There's still plenty to play for people who aren't as fortunate as many on this forum who spend hundreds/thousands of dollars and time on games, and can beat them soon after release. I mean shit, I only recently got around to playing DOOM, and that came out a while ago.

These threads bring out the worst lol.

Green Yoshi

OP, you should research more instead of just writing stuff you kinda remember based on a video game forum before making a thread like this

Yeah, I was wrong about the Conker DLC. I thought it was meant to be something bigger. Nevertheless Project Spark is no longer available for purchase. You can only play it if it's in your purchasing history.

zeexlash

Scalebound and Phantom Dust were the highlights, ultimately one was cancelled in 2017 and the other ended up being an HD remaster in 2017, which was something, and it was free.

At least E3 2014 made for a memorable show.. this year's was full of games that had been moved to next year, it looks bad now never mind in retrospect.

daTRUballin

I think Microsoft's best conference in recent years has been E3 2015.

It was also the first ever conference I watched live, so I have a soft spot for it.

Why not give Sunset Overdrive the credit it's due? It's also a great game.

It's good, but very overhyped imo. I would have loved to see a proper sequel with improvements though. Sad that it never came to be.

This is such an awful post. No need for this. You're debating something no one else is even discussing.

There's still plenty to play for people who aren't as fortunate as many on this forum who spend hundreds/thousands of dollars and time on games, and can beat them soon after release. I mean shit, I only recently got around to playing DOOM, and that came out a while ago.

These threads bring out the worst lol.

I've got the cash, but not the time sadly. I've had to limit myself. I'm still working on BOTW for goodness sakes lol.

Sunset Overdrive is really the Best game I have ever played on XboxOne. It's also completely exclusive.
Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay, and the Master Chief Collection are basically the only 3 games I own an Xbox One for. BC with some 360 exclusives like Fable 2 is the only other thing that's nice about it.
Kinda wish I'd gotten the S, since I'd at least have a 4K bluray player, but I don't even have a 4K TV yet (and probably wont for several more years) so it isn't the biggest deal for me yet.

Everything else I get on it I either don't want (don't care much about the newer Halos or Forzas), or now comes to PC too.

Mesoian

On Xbox One, I am looking forward to (next months) :
Recore DE
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Sonic Forces
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
replaying FF XV and Doom on Xbox One X
and many other third party games, as well as what will be made available through backward compatibility for OG Xbox and 360

Plenty of games to play on Xbox One.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to feel a little burned by the lack of success Microsoft has had regarding it's exclusives on the XBone. Yes there are things to play, but all of your examples are available on other platforms.

There really is a point where, as a simple value proposition, you start having to ask, "why bother getting an xbx over a PS4p or PC?"

Sunset Overdrive is still my favorite game of this generation, and yes, I've played Zero Dawn.

But have you seen Titanfall?

Seriously though, I like SO too, but it wasn't the heavy hitter everyone thought it was going to be.

I think the Dirty secret of 2018 is that Agents of Mayham is going to eat Crackdown 3's lunch.

Top Bottom