• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s new gaming cloud division readies for a future beyond Xbox

bitbydeath

I’d guess expanding Game Pass to PC will be their big E3 announcement.

Microsoft wants more and more game developers to use its cloud, especially as games become more connected across devices for their multiplayer experiences.

“We believe there is going to be 2 billion gamers in the world, and our goal is to reach every one of them,” explains Choudhry.

“We’re really pleased with the success that’s happening [with Game Pass],” says Choudhry. “We continue to believe in user choice, and we also believe there’s room in the industry for a gaming subscription and that’s what we’re going to build.”

A “Netflix for video games” would be an important service for any company with cloud gaming aspirations, but it’s going to be a difficult task for Microsoft on rival platforms like the PlayStation 4 or Nintendo’s Switch. Despite the challenge, Choudhry hints that Microsoft could achieve this by streaming games to devices. “We’re looking at ways to make that content available to anyone no matter what device they’re on,” says Choudhry.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/15/17123452/microsoft-gaming-cloud-xbox-future

It would be awesome if they expand it to PC and... port the 360 BC emulator over. I would likely never buy another Xbox again (I’m still on the fence about getting an X1X) but I would still purchase MS Xbox games to play on PC. And with GamePass, I would keep the sub active for sure.

I honestly think the X1 and PS4 may be my last “traditional” consoles.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

guess expanding Game Pass to PC will be their big E3 announcement.
This is possible.
As much as I respect wanting to make PCs more accessible to young children and those otherwise unsafe/uncomfortable using a wide open OS, nothing I've seen makes me believe we've found the right balance yet.
It would be awesome if they expand it to PC and... port the 360 BC emulator over. I would likely never buy another Xbox again (I’m still on the fence about getting an X1X) but I would still purchase MS Xbox games to play on PC. And with GamePass, I would keep the sub active for sure.

I honestly think the X1 and PS4 may be my last “traditional” consoles.

I agree, XB1 doesn't have generations anymore. PS still does, but it's clear with Game streaming and BC that generations are going the way of the dodo. But in the long term I expect consoles sales to decline.

Whoa, check out this article the OP's linked to: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16617100/microsoft-xbox-game-streaming-phil-spencer

Bloomberg reports that Spencer has teased that Microsoft “will probably debut a streaming service that doesn’t require a console for some types of content in the next three years.”

I didn't know Phil said that. That's huge!

IF it works well, it could be a big deal. So far, every streaming service I’ve tried has been from poor to horrible (I’m looking at you PSNOW).

We’ll see.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Microsoft Store is unappealing. GeForce Now and PS Now are unappealing. A combo sounds like a recipe for success.

Last edited:
This is possible.

I agree, XB1 doesn't have generations anymore. PS still does, but it's clear with Game streaming and BC that generations are going the way of the dodo. But in the long term I expect consoles sales to decline.
MS moving away from console generations does not mean theyll stop releasing consoles. The consoles will be more iterative but people are still going to get excited about the next big new system that comes out every 4-6 years or less. And its hard to believe console sales will go down given how popular they are right now. I just dont see a decline happening anytime in the near future. Even what MS is aiming for is not going to become a reality for years and years. It may even be a decade or more before that is a more realistic expectation.

DZ_b_EZ

It sounds like I'll have to stop investing in anything xbox if they go completely cloud. I've seen the writing on the wall since the xbox one reveal.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
RIP OnLive
:p
I think it’s interesting seeng the progression of things. They saw the success of XBL Arcade, tried to extend it with OnLive, got massive backlash and nearly destroyed the brand, and now got together a program more like Arcade but better with hardware that can actually store a good amount of games, presenting it in better timing in the broadband market, and are finding success. It seems like they had good goals for One, but with the launch they suffered from an ivory tower perspective and tried to bridge a technology gap that couldn’t be bridged in that time.

Last edited:

NickFire

The big Money has always been in software and licensing. Hardware is just the means to the ends.
I do think they believed hardware had a different purposes for a while, and then circled back around to their bread and butter again. I'm very interested in is whether they will release either the X or the next system on a heavily subsidized basis to try pulling more Sony players back to their side. If they truly make Xbox Live a cross-platform experience for all 3rd party games, it would be tough to get people to leave that and go back to a closed system I think.

Blam

RIP OnLive
:p
Fuck sony for destorying them. They had a great service, and even crazier. Had a Gamepass system already inplace lmao. 9.99$ a month for access to your games with saves anywhere, and to a bunch of games too.

OnLive could have been huge. I hope Microsoft takes that and runs because PSNow is trash.

Microsoft has been working on this for years.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-testing-playing-xbox-games-in-your-browser
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/11/microsoft-stream-xbox-one-360-games-pc-browsers

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Fuck sony for destorying them. They had a great service, and even crazier. Had a Gamepass system already inplace lmao. 9.99$ a month for access to your games with saves anywhere, and to a bunch of games too.

OnLive could have been huge. I hope Microsoft takes that and runs because PSNow is trash.

Microsoft has been working on this for years.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-testing-playing-xbox-games-in-your-browser
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/11/microsoft-stream-xbox-one-360-games-pc-browsers

Whoa, those articles sound awesome. X1X games in 60 fps via internet browser on any device. Wow if true. And if true MS will greatly expand their marketshare with this insanely cool feature.

Blam

Whoa, those articles sound awesome. X1X games in 60 fps via internet browser on any device. Wow if true. And if true MS will greatly expand their marketshare with this insanely cool feature.

This was something Microsoft was always interested in, and seriously should push as a Xbox Game Pass feature for an extra 5 bucks or something. so $14.99 for streaming plus downloads or 9.99 for just downloads. It would sell so many users.

Bryank75

Banned
There is Microsoft chasing the big numbers again, it was their mortal failure abandoning core gamers at the start of last generation...

rokkerkory

I'm just highlighting that not focusing on core gamers has hurt them before and maybe... Just maybe the '2 billion people' number is a fantasy.

2 billion is around 25% of the population and in order to reach that amount, consumption mediums have to change. Will it happen? Who knows but they do need to think big.

They are just expanding the business is all and are now finally taking games seriously. The entire company of Microsoft has changed in recent years and their overall philosophy has changed for the future ahead.

Xbox is no longer just a games console, but now the entire gaming division of Microsoft. They need to push ahead in areas where competitors like Sony can’t really compete on the same level. Cloud infrastructure is an obvious one. But it doesn’t mean they aren’t doing dedicated consoles anymore.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is possible.

Yall said this 5 years ago too lol.

Top Bottom