• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s The Initiative Has Hired Former Uncharted, Apex Legends, Anthem, and Just Cause Developers

Mista

Banned
the-initiative-1024x576.jpg

As per updates to profiles on LinkedIn (via VGC), the Santa Monica-based studio has hired four more people who’ve worked on some big games in the recent past. Sean Slayback has joined as the Lead Systems Designer, Ryan Duffin has joined as the Gameplay Animation Director, Ryan Trowbridge joins as Tech Art Director, while Justin Walters joins as a Senior Environment Artist.

Slayback was previously a senior game designer at Respawn Entertainment, and served in that capacity for Apex Legends, having also worked on several Call of Duty titles at Treyarch and Infinity Ward prior to that. Duffin was previously at BioWare, and worked on animations for Anthem, while before that he worked on Battlefield 5 at DICE.

Trowbridge joined directly from SIE Bend Studio, where he worked on Days Gone, prior to which he worked at Naughty Dog on Uncharted 4. Finally, Walters joins from Avalanche Studios, where he worked on Just Cause 4, while his past projects also include the likes of DOOM, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, and more.
GamingBolt

Last edited:
This studio was created last year current? I know it takes months and a ton of brain storming to come up with an ideas for a game. But do we think they've already internally conceived some type of game idea and rough draft of a story?

Klayzer

We know more about The Initiative staff than any other development studio. The pressure and the scrutiny from the gaming public for their first release will be unprecedented.

DanielsM

Banned
This studio was created last year current? I know it takes months and a ton of brain storming to come up with an ideas for a game. But do we think they've already internally conceived some type of game idea and rough draft of a story?

Typically, 4-7 years for new AAA IPs depending on scope from concept to release. Come back in 2-3 years at the earliest.

I don't get it! They acquired this talent days ago. Why haven't they released a game yet?!

Console warz
Game warz
Cloud warz

Hiring warz

What else is there? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Klayzer

Typically, 4-7 years for new AAA IPs depending on scope from concept to release. Come back in 2-3 years at the earliest.

Console warz
Game warz
Cloud warz

Hiring warz

What else is there? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Streaming warz
Steam vs Epic warz
Gaf vs Era warz
Industry crossplay vs Sony warz

Plenty of ridiculous internet battles yet to be concluded.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
All developers are “former” something. Or do people think Sony first party devs all came directly from school. Are we getting threads for every devs lol...

The fact that this is so big for Xfans can only disappoint in the end or they never had bond with some studio. Also indicates how Microsoft is just far behind Nintendo and Sony at this point.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I have a better job thanks. Good luck out there, the garbage suits you well

I know, manning the trenches of a war that doesn't exist. (keep it up, I get giggles out of it) I can't wait to see what you have tomorrow, "Microsoft orders new ergonomic chairs for its developers".

Keep fighting the good fight, on some levels its quite entertaining.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I know, manning the trenches of a war that doesn't exist. (keep it up, I get giggles out of it) I can't wait to see what you have tomorrow, "Microsoft orders new ergonomic chairs for its developers".

Keep fighting the good fight, on some levels its quite entertaining.
I write about everything and not Microsoft only but you know a deluded clown will only see what he wants. Keep amusing us

xool

Interesting - still getting mixed signals on whether this studio is intending to produce "fully AAA" games .. which is what is needed really.

Last time I heard there was still a lot of PR guff about "small and agile" etc ..

Mista

Banned
Interesting - still getting mixed signals on whether this studio is intending to produce "fully AAA" games .. which is what is needed really.

Last time I heard there was still a lot of PR guff about "small and agile" etc ..
We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully something worth it at the end because thats what matters to me and most people

We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully something worth it at the end because thats what matters to me and most people

When is the end? That's been my biggest gripe with MS this gen. They ignored fans in 2010 and went batshit crazy with Kinect. then ignored fans again in 2013/14, told them they were flat out wrong in 2015/16, tried winning them back with hubris in 2017, while still ignoring the fans.

When will they end; ignoring the fans, making up bollocks reasons for not making games and cancelling promising games and releasing steaming turds? Scalebound vs Crackdown.

Hopefully, this is the end to bad Microsoft, but goddamn, it has taken 10 years! for them to possibly get back to their best. That is not acceptable.

Mista

Banned
When is the end? That's been my biggest gripe with MS this gen. They ignored fans in 2010 and went batshit crazy with Kinect. then ignored fans again in 2013/14, told them they were flat out wrong in 2015/16, tried winning them back with hubris in 2017, while still ignoring the fans.

When will they end; ignoring the fans, making up bollocks reasons for not making games and cancelling promising games and releasing steaming turds? Scalebound vs Crackdown.

Hopefully, this is the end to bad Microsoft, but goddamn, it has taken 10 years! for them to possibly get back to their best. That is not acceptable.
With all the acquisitions they're making and FINALLY realising the importance of single player games, I say next-gen is their last chance to prove themselves

I feel your frustration as I am frustrated too but having other platforms makes it easy for me to forget because I got to play lots of magnificent games

Now its Microsofts turn to provide that not only for the fans but for all the gamers out there

With all the acquisitions they're making and FINALLY realising the importance of single player games, I say next-gen is their last chance to prove themselves

I feel your frustration as I am frustrated too but having other platforms makes it easy for me to forget because I got to play lots of magnificent games

Now its Microsofts turn to provide that not only for the fans but for all the gamers out there

IMO gamepass on an X with the elite pad has allowed them a pass for me. Their first party output has been terrible and they need to get back to releasing games and having 3rd party as support, not their main reason to own an xbox

xool

No question about it - it's been Xbox ''Lost Decade" (no exaggeration) - they need to draw a line under it and start off next gen strong - hopefully this new studio is part of it

Good time to start predicting with all the talent that MS is hiring on this new studio.. I believe these guys can pulloff a sequel to Conker but we all know we want a brand spanking new IP. Stellar SP and a good MP in a single package.

Klayzer

Way too many cooks. It'll be just a matter of time when the vaporware is over budget and behind schedule.
That's my biggest fear for the studio. I could easily see a scenario with an over budget game that would be in development hell for years. I'm hoping there's a clear cut leader with final say on their projects.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
All developers are “former” something. Or do people think Sony first party devs all came directly from school. Are we getting threads for every devs lol...

The fact that this is so big for Xfans can only disappoint in the end or they never had bond with some studio. Also indicates how Microsoft is just far behind Nintendo and Sony at this point.
giphy.gif

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Way too many cooks. It'll be just a matter of time when the vaporware is over budget and behind schedule.
Jesus! The hot takes in this thread are boring AF!

You guys need some new takes or more adjustable goal posts. Some of this shit is so predictable I ordered it at my favorite restaurant next week.

This whole gen since MS fucked up launch, all I read is that they're creating X, Y, Z studio or hiring this or that person. I don't see the fruits of their labour.
Probably because games take 3-5 years to be developed from the ground up. The studios that Microsoft has acquired and build haven’t been around that long and will most likely play a role in their next-gen lineup

DonF

At this point, if the initiative's next game isn't game of the generation tier, it's going to be a disappointment.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Let's cool it on the silly back and forth warring/personal attacks over hiring news of all things.

So let me get this straight...

You have the same group of people, who you can call out by name, that come in and shit post all over threads with any hint of the words Microsoft and game pass, and when they are reported you mods do nothing..

Yet out of ALL the threads you choose this one to suddenly pull out the keyboard and say "simmer down children."

Maybe that's why more people aren't posting...

Top Bottom