• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox boss says Amazon and Google are ‘the main competitors going forward’

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You say that but Phil did say he would like to see halo on the PS4 and they've puts games on Switch already and like I said they would still have exclusive content with there service.
He said that but we all know realistically that isnt going to happen. Nintendo has the Switch - another mobile device. But again, Microsoft isnt going to broaden their platform to make another competing platform look good. Again, Xcloud prevents the brand from going thrid party by giving everyone the option of playing Xbox games and services on a plethora of platforms.

DanielsM

Banned
Xcloud prevents the brand from going thrid party by giving everyone the option of playing Xbox games and services on a plethora of platforms.
That only pertains to Microsoft games (if they wish), not Xbox games, meaning game built for Xbox as a Hardware. Assuming the large publishers don't just abandon the Xbox as a Hardware at this point.

They are basically moving in the direction of a normal publisher at this point, imo.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Again, Xcloud prevents the brand from going thrid party by giving everyone the option of playing Xbox games and services on a plethora of platforms.
You do realize this actually makes them more and more of a third party, right?
Especially if they do quit console manufactoring and bring their services to Playstation and Nintendo as well, since they don't see them as competitors anymore according to Phil.

wolffy71

Banned
Especially if they do quit console manufactoring and bring their services to Playstation and Nintendo as well, since they don't see them as competitors anymore according to Phil.

They would put their services on those in a millisecond as long as the player had to be in the MS ecosystem somehow.

SNG32

He said that but we all know realistically that isnt going to happen. Nintendo has the Switch - another mobile device. But again, Microsoft isnt going to broaden their platform to make another competing platform look good. Again, Xcloud prevents the brand from going thrid party by giving everyone the option of playing Xbox games and services on a plethora of platforms.

How does xcloud prevent it if it's a way for other platforms to access there exclusive content. I truly feel that if Sony would allow gamepass on PS4 Microsoft would put it on there in a heartbeat. That 100 million base is a very lucrative base to tap into. They've seen the money minecraft makes by being multiplatform. If the Series X is a huge success i'll eat my words on them not going third party in someform.

DanielsM

Banned
Is it that bad that MS has to pick two rando's as well with Stadia being on life support as competition to make themselves feel better?

its like being person with no disability but winning a medal at the special olympics, like you won....but look at the competition you beat.

I think Phil fooled Nadella on this one, Nadella will figure it out in due course and fix the glitch. In the meantime, I would think we probably lost a ton more console warriors, which is a good thing.

Now we'll just have to hear from the "Cloud gaming is new, its great and..... its the future!!!!" guys for a bit longer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GtwSWTG.gif

That's true if cloud gaming takes off. Which I personally doubt it will. Maybe in 10 years when everyone has access to insanely good internet with low latency.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A Venn diagram of Xbox brand fans and political zealots would be fascinating.

Both seem to retreat to baselessly cheering "it is the future, get used to it!"

When will we be instructed that streaming is The Right Side of History? :pie_thinking:

Some are also supposed to convince you that they are the most hardcore, low latency, VRR wanting, native 4K, 60FPS frothing, 120hz sperging, Elite controller having, not unlike PC gamers but in the console realm...

Then shit talk up game streaming trash when dunking on it prior, because their favorite brand is doing one.

#FuckStreaming #SoTiring

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Some are also supposed to convince you that they are the most hardcore, low latency, VRR wanting, native 4K, 60FPS frothing, 120hz sperging, Elite controller having, not unlike PC gamers but in the console realm...

Then shit talk up game streaming trash when dunking on it prior, because their favorite brand is doing one.

#FuckStreaming #SoTiring
Kinda like how a group bragged about installed base until looking closer at the numbers and realizing it was mostly The Sims and Farmville played through a browser? :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

It's all for bragging rights. I totally get the passion for cheerleading a game, or even a franchise, or even a developer. By all means, fly your fanboy flag and let us all know how much you love it. Ocarina fanboys. CAVE fanboys. Smash Bros fanboys. Those make sense.

But fanboying for brands? C'mon. I have my preferred brands too but trying to soften the implication of a company's official PR statements is kind of messed up. Hold your favorite brands accountable or else you get Harvey Dent worship ;)

Gavon West

How does xcloud prevent it if it's a way for other platforms to access there exclusive content. I truly feel that if Sony would allow gamepass on PS4 Microsoft would put it on there in a heartbeat. That 100 million base is a very lucrative base to tap into. They've seen the money minecraft makes by being multiplatform. If the Series X is a huge success i'll eat my words on them not going third party in someform.
Dude, you're missing it. Sony can keep their fanbase. Each and every one of their fans own smart phones, smart tv's, tablets, etc. Keep your preferred console. You can still play Xbox games on your other devices and PC. None of this remotely suggests their just gonna go thrid party. At all actually.

DanielsM

Banned
Dude, you're missing it. Sony can keep their fanbase. Each and every one of their fans own smart phones, smart tv's, tablets, etc. Keep your preferred console. You can still play Xbox games on your other devices and PC. None of this remotely suggests their just gonna go thrid party. At all actually.

What you describe is actually the definition of third party, basically games playable on third party devices. (generally speaking) If you mean "natively" than that is a different category, imo, I would say this suggests they are abandoning everything but game streaming..... or its starting to appear that way.

I would tend to agree with you if you mean "natively", instead of third party. I take this all to mean.... cloud gaming or bust, more or less. Either way they are going to have to go where the customers are, imo.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Yeah, no. Cant agree there. The Xbox is a platform now - this includes console. Phil has said many times already that the console isnt going anywhere as its still the place to experience gaming at optimal.

And he's saying Google and Amazon are a much bigger threat than Sony and Nintendo when it comes to game streaming through Cloud. And he's right.

I cant see a reason to go third party when you can still tap into the fanbase of both companies through their mobile devices. You wont ever see GP on Sony's PS. Maybe (MAYBE) Switch. And Greenberg already aid they arent going to put anymore games on competing platforms.

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah, no. Cant agree there. The Xbox is a platform now - this includes console. Phil has said many times already that the console isnt going anywhere as its still the place to experience gaming at optimal.

And he's saying Google and Amazon are a much bigger threat than Sony and Nintendo when it comes to game streaming through Cloud. And he's right.

I cant see a reason to go third party when you can still tap into the fanbase of both companies through their mobile devices. You wont ever see GP on Sony's PS. Maybe (MAYBE) Switch. And Greenberg already aid they arent going to put anymore games on competing platforms.

Game Pass only makes sense if we are talking Microsoft games on closed eco-system i.e. EA Access subscription. Game Pass as far as third party titles makes very little sense as than its two middleman where really no middleman is needed..... so what has been suggested really doesn't make any sense... a bunch of middlemen. We have seen things like EA Access be approved but that is for EA titles which you figure the manufacturer is getting a cut.

The whole concept of Game Pass doesn't really make sense outside of a closed environment... not much sense outside of a Microsoft closed environment, generally speaking when it comes to larger publishers. Why would I pay Microsoft to play a COD game on a PS system? or a Nintendo system? Makes very little sense that I can see. Publishers need access to closed environments, if you don't have a closed environment than there is very little they need you (Microsoft) for... no middleman is needed.

Large publishers generally don't use the Microsoft Store, why? They don't need them.

Microsoft is going in the direction of a traditional publisher but Phil has promised Nadella general services which all the publishers would use... the problem is... there is no real reason for them to use or be involved.... like why isn't Microsoft games on Origin? Same thing.

Last edited:

SNG32

Whether you want to believe it or not Microsoft is setting themselves up if Series X is a flop. The success of this console is going to determine if they continue to go the console route. The only thing that's stopping them from putting Gamepass on Sony and Nintendo platforms is Sony and Nintendo. There's a reason why they said no next gen excluisves for 2 - 3 years they are focused on the number of players. locked into the xbox ecosystem.

kyoji

the irony is you and your spawn will be accessing games more and more through cloud with the tech companies as the gatekeepers while Sony is relegated to a content provider
if youre going to quote me at least answer the question

DanielsM

Banned
Spencer is 100% correct with his business plan, despite what a bunch of 15 year old PlayStation fan boys think.
I'm so fucking confused, you mean Amazon and Google fan boys right? You're not going to win that war either if you can't properly identify the enemy.

(boy, wait till the Xbox console warriors find out about you)

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
MS isnt going for either/or when its talking gaming. They want the entire line, console, tablet, pc, phone, all on xbox live. You cant say all ur games in one place if you dont have it all. They have no intention of leaving the console space, that would make no sense. Spencer admits console os the best way to play, its just not the only way.

Psykodad

Banned
MS isnt going for either/or when its talking gaming. They want the entire line, console, tablet, pc, phone, all on xbox live. You cant say all ur games in one place if you dont have it all. They have no intention of leaving the console space, that would make no sense. Spencer admits console os the best way to play, its just not the only way.
Ofcourse he would say that, they still have XSX to sell.

devilNprada

What does a market cap have to do with anything? They lost the whole consumer market to companies that were basically nothing in size or nearly bankrupt like Apple.

Spotify was so small that it basically didn't exist and Microsoft had a competitor product Zune Music, then Xbox Music and then Groove Music.... MS lost to a much smaller company.

Music Players - Apple (they were basically near bankruptcy)
Phones - Apple and Google at that time barely out of the woods for Apple and very small Google.
Fitbit Watches/IWatch - much smaller companies
Music Streaming - Spotify
Consoles - Sony/Nintendo much smaller companies
Digital Distribution - Valve, its a freaking private company LOL

The threat is themselves as they are blowing up their gaming segment right here and now.

You missed their ten year head start with Web TV, yet every TV in the year 2020 has a built in Chromecast or firestick..

Gavon West

Whether you want to believe it or not Microsoft is setting themselves up if Series X is a flop. The success of this console is going to determine if they continue to go the console route. The only thing that's stopping them from putting Gamepass on Sony and Nintendo platforms is Sony and Nintendo. There's a reason why they said no next gen excluisves for 2 - 3 years they are focused on the number of players. locked into the xbox ecosystem.

I agree for the most part. I dont think they're worried about Series X being a flop. Its more than likey the most powerful home console when it enters next gen. But its also just an option for gamers. Not the end game. The end game is the [ecosystem] this now includes GP and Xcloud in conjuction with console and PC. As I've said before, the hardware is important as a device to Microsoft, but its not as important as it is with Sony and Nintendo. They depend on hardware sales as much as software. The Series X is just a trojan horse just like Xcloud will be. Both will serve as a gateway to Gamepass which is the anchor to all of this. Hence why they've invested so heavily in their 1st party dev stable and racking up alot of 3rd party support.

But all of this together - the Xbox platform as a whole - really begins to cement itself as a true game changer with the addition of Xcloud. That broadens the landscape to virtually being limitless. It changes the game completely. Because EVERYONE has a smartphone. That's about 7 billion people. And that's not including Gamepass being bundled to Xcloud.

People laugh at Phil's "7 Billion people" comment but he's absolutely correct! Having the potential to hit 7 Billion people is much better than selling 100 million consoles. In the face of 7 billion potential customers, 100 million consoles looks like something off the $1 menu. It also happens to be the very thing Sony nor Nintendo can offer, if even barely. They dont have the infrastructure. They dont offer their 1st party games day and date. You'd think, even if you are a fanboy on the other team, you'd at least realize what's about to unfold. But Sony fans seriously believe Sony and Nintendo will be just fine by sticking to the traditional method of doing business in the face of a very digital, very service based, very Cloud based generation brought to you by Microsoft, Amazon and Google. 3 behemoth companies going after the same gamer dollars that can swallow companies like Sony and Nintendo whole.

Yeah.....not so much.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
As I've said before, the hardware is important as a device to Microsoft, but its not as important as it is with Sony and Nintendo. They depend on hardware sales as much as software.

If Microsoft doesn't sell hardware, literally most of their gaming revenue goes away Content, Services, etc. All of its linked to a the closed system.

Having the potential to hit 7 Billion people is much better than selling 100 million consoles. In the face of 7 billion potential customers, 100 million consoles looks like something off the $1 menu.

Yes and no, if you actually sell lots of stuff to 100-200m people, you make more than not selling anything to 7 billion people. That's like the worse marketing ever created. Technically, you can sell 7 billion consoles and 100 software sales per console for the 7 billion people... the problem is... 7 billion people aren't your customers.... its the same thing. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Its stupid marketing, or investment pitch... they could have sold 2-5 billion people phones... but they couldn't compete.... nobody bought them i.e. Windows Phone.

The market they are going in.... is more saturated per dollar than consoles or PC gaming.

The first one is what Phil is doing, its a big no no in pitches... "we just need 10% of the 7 billion people on the planet" :messenger_tears_of_joy: Yet, they can't get people to buy in their intergrated Store in Windows.... literally the Store is install out of the box and they can't sell software.

Mistake 12: Giving me clichés
Phrases to avoid:
  • “All we need is 1% of the market” (unlikely you will get that)
  • “We will get huge viral usage” (unless you show me early traction, that will be difficult to believe)
  • “This product will market itself” (no, it won’t)
  • “Google will want to buy us” (maybe, but not likely)
  • “Our projection numbers are conservative” (just once I would like to hear an entrepreneur say, “Our projections are wildly optimistic”).

They literally couldn't get customers for gaming on their own OS i.e. PC see Games for Windows Live and Microsoft Store.... they're basically bailing. So, now they're going to an oversaturated market i.e. cloud gaming where they are actually about 1-10 years behind the competition.... good luck as they say.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Love how riled up Spencers comments have got Sony fanboys, even though if you actually read the article, he's clearly talking about streaming and what he's said is from a streaming angle (Google and Amazon being rivals, not Sony and Nintendo in regards to STREAMING).

devilNprada

People laugh at Phil's "7 Billion people" comment but he's absolutely correct! Having the potential to hit 7 Billion people is much better than selling 100 million consoles. In the face of 7 billion potential customers, 100 million consoles looks like something off the $1 menu.

When has MS ever sold 100 million consoles?
Google is already reaching 7 billion potential customers...

They have lost to google at every step in the consumer market..... Go ahead and "Bing it" on your "windows" phone then cast your answer to your "WEB TV"...

Then maybe you will realize about a billion more people already game on google devices then MS devices!

Gavon West

When has MS ever sold 100 million consoles?
Google is already reaching 7 billion potential customers...

They have lost to google at every step in the consumer market..... Go ahead and "Bing it" on your "windows" phone then cast your answer to your "WEB TV"...

Then maybe you will realize about a billion more people already game on google devices then MS devices!
No one said anything about Xbox selling 100 million consoles boi! If you'd get yo sensitive ass feelings in check, what I actually said might hit you different.

And your Google example is shyte from the gate. Microsoft hasnt had the ability to stream their games or Gamepass to multiple devices in the way they will with Xcloud because they havent opened the streaming gates. Xcloud is just in beta at the moment. The full release will be later this year. The only device Microsoft has had is the Xbox. The fuck are you even talking about???

This is why GP is in place. It will work in conjuction with Xcloud to make nearly every portable device essentially a mini Xbox, yoski! Get out yo feelings.. "Bing" dat foo!

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
This is why GP is in place. It will work in conjuction with Xcloud to make nearly every portable device essentially a mini Xbox, yoski! Get out yo feelings.. "Bing" dat foo!

Yes, just like cloud gaming companies have been doing and not making any money at it. You are still acting as this stuff is new... this is mature technology for years now.

I like how you have to explain it to us, "make nearly every portable device essentially a mini Xbox". :messenger_tears_of_joy: We all know how it works.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Could a person be more out of touch? How are Sony and Nintendo “out of position” when both the PS4 and Switch are outselling Xbox One? Sounds like some sort of bad loser talk.
Jesus Christ....are you even serious right now?

You still stuck on consoles being sold. Talk about bad loser talk. Lol. Your post is like bad loser talk on a cassette tape playing on a Walkman during the Regan administration. Holy shit! Some of you guys, I'm convinced, just woke up out of a time machine.

DanielsM

Banned
Jesus Christ....are you even serious right now?

You still stuck on consoles being sold. Talk about bad loser talk. Lol. Your post is like bad loser talk on a cassette tape playing on a Walkman during the Regan administration. Holy shit! Some of you guys, I'm convinced, just woke up out of a time machine.

I think you took a time machine to 2004, all of this has existed for years and you act like its new. Than you have the balls to say, "holy shit". LOL None of this is new, its been around to the masses for about decade+, nobody has really made money... most of it has bankrupt smaller companies or made them abandon the technology because no demand i.e. money to fund.

The "consoles being sold", those actually have a business model and those companies generally are making money, well some of them.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
So facts are PR now?....Gotcha!

Its not a fact, its a bad investment pitch... amateur hour. Technically, it is just as possibly to sell 7 billion consoles as it is to sell 7 billion subscriptions. What you pointed out is an obvious bad investment pitch, which in turn will continue to crater the actual real gaming market they do have, imo.

Maybe look up what a "fact" is.

Equally stupid pitch would be, let's sell a console to Bezo, and he buys 1 billion copies of software by himself. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Stuart360

So facts are PR now?....Gotcha!
I dont know why you bother, you know they are going to twist everything into a negative. Spencer is clearly talking about XCloud/streaming in this article. And he's also said numerous times, including very recently, that consoles arent going anywhere, and consoles/local hardware will always be the optimon way of playing games, but lets just ignore that eh.

Last edited:

Gavon West

7 Billion potential consumers.
No shit, that's the entire world population.

By that logic, Sony and Nintendo and every other gaming company are also trying to sell their products to the same 7 Billion potential consumers.
And because we both know Sony nor Nintendo even remotely own any kind of Cloud infrastructure that your comment is legit bullshit. But lets dismiss all that...

They cant even dream about delivering content to 7 billion people. They aint got the clout, my guy. Lol.

DanielsM

Banned
7 Billion potential consumers.
No shit, that's the entire world population.

By that logic, Sony and Nintendo and every other gaming company are also trying to sell their products to the same 7 Billion potential consumers.

Technically Sony could say... our audience is 7 billion people... we want to sell 7 billion TVs, 7 billion audio systems, 7 billion PS5s, and 7 billion PS Now subscriptions.... our competition isn't Microsoft.... its the world. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Klayzer

I would like to know, what secret sauce Microsoft is selling, to make so many believe that their streaming option will be just better than anything available. Is it because they come up with cool codenames? Maybe Market Cap? Legit curious why the gaming media is so certain its going to succeed.

Well, I take that back; Microsoft's PR department is relentless with its marketing.

DanielsM

Banned
And because we both know Sony nor Nintendo even remotely own any kind of Cloud infrastructure that your comment is legit bullshit. But lets dismiss all that...

They cant even dream about delivering content to 7 billion people. They aint got the clout, my guy. Lol.

Their isn't 7 billion customers for anyone. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The reason why Microsoft is moving is they can't compete... there is no 7 billion game streaming customers... never was... never will be. :messenger_tears_of_joy: They couldn't keep up with the little kids, so they are taking their football and going home.

They lost.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I dont know why you bother, you know they are going to twist everything into a negative. Spencer is clearly talking about XCloud/streaming in this article. And he's also said numerous times, including very recently, that consoles arent gping anywhere, and consoles/local hardware will always be the optimon way of playing games, but lets just ignore that eh.
How about addressing this then:

Paying subscribers for Netflix, final quarter 2019: 167 Million
(https://www.statista.com/statistics...r-of-netflix-streaming-subscribers-worldwide/)

That's not much more than PS4 sales probably will end up with, considering Netflix is delivering a streaming service to the same 7 Billion people MS is going to aim for.

And that is a movie/series streaming service, which will have a far easier time getting subscribers than a gaming streaming service will for a long time to come.

Gavon West

I dont know why you bother, you know they are going to twist everything into a negative. Spencer is clearly talking about XCloud/streaming in this article. And he's also said numerous times, including very recently, that consoles arent going anywhere, and consoles/local hardware will always be the optimon way of playing games, but lets just ignore that eh.
Lol.

These same kats will still be talking about "most consoles sold" even after Cloud gaming takes off. And it will. It's literally the future of gaming. That and Services like Gamepass.

Gavon West

I would like to know, what secret sauce Microsoft is selling, to make so many believe that their streaming option will be just better than anything available. Is it because they come up with cool codenames? Maybe Market Cap? Legit curious why the gaming media is so certain its going to succeed.

Well, I take that back; Microsoft's PR department is relentless with its marketing.
Um...maybe because Microsoft has decades and 10's of billions of dollars invested in Cloud technology and the same in gaming. That's something no other company can say right now. Just a guess...

Top Bottom