• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft 1st party question

If they release Fable(remake, not 4) that is comparable to Legend of Zelda: BOTW in terms of length, side-quests, lore, soundtrack, physics, etc... will that even matter? Will it be a tent-pole for Microsoft?

Yeah but I feel as if they need something truly epic in scope to compete with Zelda BOTW.
I think Nintendo has that kiddy game and RPG genre covered. If people like that type of cartoony RPG they will game on Nintendo. Xboxs typical gamer is older and more of shooter guy. Obsidens RPGs tend more to those people.
Well, that's how I see it anyway.
I would much rather see MS buy the Alan Wake franchise from Remedy and do another one of those. How good would Alan Wake on XSX look?

Arkam

I would hope it would be a tent pole for them. Feels like not that long ago the series had that status.... then Fable 3 kinda let us down. But I am open and ready to be excited for another quality entry in the series.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If they release Fable(remake, not 4) that is comparable to Legend of Zelda: BOTW in terms of length, side-quests, lore, soundtrack, physics, etc... will that even matter? Will it be a tent-pole for Microsoft?
I only liked Fable 1. I don't have interest in playing any game the resembles Fable in more ways than just the name. I hope PlayGround Games burns the Blueprint and starts completely fresh with a re-envisioning of the game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I think Nintendo has that kiddy game and RPG genre covered. If people like that type of cartoony RPG they will game on Nintendo. Xboxs typical gamer is older and more of shooter guy. Obsidens RPGs tend more to those people.
Well, that's how I see it anyway.
I would much rather see MS buy the Alan Wake franchise from Remedy and do another one of those. How good would Alan Wake on XSX look?

What the fuck is Bleeding Edge then?

Stuart360

I only liked Fable 1. I don't have interest in playing any game the resembles Fable in more ways than just the name. I hope PlayGround Games burns the Blueprint and starts completely fresh with a re-envisioning of the game.
I agree, but then you will just get fanboys complaining that 'it isnt Fable' anymore.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I hope they reboot Fable into a darker RPG like The Witcher, that would be really cool

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
At this point Playground Games RPG is Fable only in name. But them, Obsidian and InXile are going to bring some big first party RPG games to Xbox, although I hope a Shadowrun game is in the plans too. Also, Zelda is not a RPG.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
What RPGs does Sony have? If you like RPGs (my favorite genre) Xbox will be THE place to play. This really excites me for next gen.
Horizon Zero Dawn is considered an action RPG the sequel is going to be huge. And counting unreleased

Lost Soul Aside
Granblue Fantasy Relink

Then here's many JRPGs from 3rd party

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I would say it has RPG elements, but its far from an actual RPG.
Compared to the rest of what would be considered to be WRPG's these days, I'm having difficulty figuring out where the discrepancy is. It definitely has the conversation trees and mission structure like Mass Effect. It has side quests that you can partake in. You level up. You get new and better equipment.

The only thing I see missing is that you can't create your own version of Aloy, it doesn't have party members, and the game doesn't pause when you enter combat. Additionally, it's your skill that determines the outcome of combat instead of some behind the scenes dice rolls.

To be honest, I always thought of HZD as a third person action game, but the person who suggested it makes a good point.

Honestly, I'm not really seeing what the difference is between a game like Pillars of Eternity and HZD when it comes to core mechanics.

Is the Witcher Series considered to be an RPG? What makes it different?

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
forget about fable. they have Pillars of Eternity devs. Put the damn money there.
Fable(only in name) Reboot is by Playground Games. Obsidian is apparently making an action RPG set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Microsoft is the only one of the three who owns a studio that produces real RPG games already. What you've been playing OP are action games with 2 minutes of collecting thrown on.

JLB

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn is considered an action RPG the sequel is going to be huge. And counting unreleased

Lost Soul Aside
Granblue Fantasy Relink

Then here's many JRPGs from 3rd party

it really depends on which type of rpg. On d&d, MS has Obsidian, which are one of the best.

Aidah

I don't think Microsoft has anyone with enough talent to make something truly great. At least that's what it seems like for many years now. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think they will show a Fable reboot and hopefully it's nothing like that awful Zelda game.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think they should focus more in shooters TBH, both TPP and FPP - Halo and Gears are nice, sure, but more choice wouldn't hurt, especially that both are set in a sci-fi settings, so something more down to earth/modern world would be welcome. Sony is putting storytelling first and foremost way before gameplay in their games, so that would be a nice contrast, that would separate MS's lineup from Sony's. Sort of like Nintendo isn't chasing Sony and MS at all but are doing their own thing instead.

Top Bottom