• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Pando (Xbox 720 related?)

M.D

So, I just read this on the Israeli website Calcalist - Microsoft acquired Pando for $11 million.

They are implying that the technology will be used for the next Xbox in some way, but there are no real details

What is Pando?

Pando is a free file sharing software that makes downloading, streaming and sharing large media files fast, easy and fun. Need to email large attachments, IM a folder, or publish your downloadable videos to the Web? Meet Pando.

Calcalist article (used Google Translate)

Exit lukewarm: Microsoft acquired by Eli Barkat Fendo Investment costs

Calcalist "learned that the start - up from New York has sold about 11 million, the amount invested in it over the years. Fendo developed a rapid distribution of media files online, which will give an edge to Microsoft's Xbox competition against Sony's PlayStation

A start - up Fendo New York was sold to Microsoft in recent days - Calcalist learned. " According to industry estimates, there is an impressive exit, apparently Microsoft did not pay more than 11 million dollars invested Fendo over the years.

Fendo developed a file transfer service between P2P users, and made it the means of distribution based cloud service for games, video and software content giants, while active large file transfer service for consumers and businesses. The purchase was made in part to give Microsoft an advantage in sharing media files for the launch of the new Xbox gaming console is expected in June, and to compete with Sony, who revealed last month its future media console PlayStation 4.

Fendo is indeed an American company, but the first investor can be found in the BRM group of brothers to me and Eran Bareket and venture capital fund Intel Capital, is very active in Israel. The company directors Robert Levitan, who founded the company with Yaron Smid, and chief technology and operations Avi Cohen.

The company is located on Broadway in Manhattan and employs 23 workers. The acquisition transaction was carried AcquHiring - Purchase for the employment of employees, led by Cohen, considered one of the world's experts in the field of transfer of media files.

Fendo technology, based in part on BitTorrent technology, enables companies to distribute content and media to connect their system accelerating the transfer of content networks (CDN), enabling quick file transfer popular P2P network and file transfer less popular and more Nistiim CDN networks.

Fendo launched in 2007 P4P service, developed in partnership with cellular operator Verizon. The service is designed for carriers to accelerate the download speed whenever made file sharing network.

More than 30 million users have installed the software Fendo File Transfer, which allows sending free files size up to 1 GB - SATA. The clients of Fendo one of American television network NBC Universal, which uses its own technology to deliver HD TV PC.

In recent years the gaming industry has become the biggest client of Fendo, thanks to technology that allows distribution of games with a volume of installation files over 1 GB - SATA. Its customers include Nexon, Riot Games, Turbine, Gala-Net and LevelUp.

So that could mean that MS will not only have you pay for p2p online gaming, but also for p2p downloads and p2p updates. Great.

Ken

Isn't Pando the thing that sits in the background and does terrible things if it's not uninstalled?

DiscoJer

Isn't Pando the thing that sits in the background and does terrible things if it's not uninstalled?

It's basically a torrent client. It runs all the time unless you uninstall it. Or it used to. I think they might have changed it after all the complaints.

And I love this...someone on a MMORPG message board that used Pando made this.

pando01.jpg

Though I have to wonder - does this mean every next Xbox will have it installed, or something like it? So they use it to distribute files peer to peer? Eeech

Users subsidising the Microsoft's bandwidth bill..?

Sounds like an additional feature that's related to sharing. I'm guessing it will be used to offer their version of the share feature in PS4.

Share clips, pictures, perhaps even more with music, movies and hopefully mods are being considered too.

saladine1

MS event in April.. announce the console which will be available for June.
Go on a massive two month marketing and PR blitz!
If only MS was that crazy...

Hanmik

hey there were rumors about Microsoft doing an apple like announcement... so it might just happen.

hey there were rumors about Microsoft doing an apple like announcement... so it might just happen.

They also have no first party titles coming after Judgement, so while it's not likely, it does increase the possibility of a surprise launch in June.

I doubt it will happen though, June isn't typically a new console launch month. Too risky.

MoogPaul

Charge for xbox gold, Download stuff from other users instead of microsofts own servers. Sounds like a plan... I guess.

Krilekk

Banned

They were once (360 Slim "available at the end of the week") and I can see them doing it again. I mean what are their options right now? Or to put it this way: Why did Sony come out first? Possibly to get preorders because they got to know 720 will be more powerful? From a business perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense to announce stuff early, we (and we are who buys those consoles in the first years) all knew they'd come eventually this year. 360 is already selling well, so they are surely going for a short period of time between announcement and launch. But PS3 is selling well worldwide as well, so why the early event? I wouldn't even be surprised if they launch 720 in late May. At this point everything is possible.

Guymelef

Ok, June release without third party games.
No Fifa, no Assassin's Creed, no Battlefield, no Watchdogs, no etc...
Doesn't make any sense.

DEADEVIL

If they pulled off a Worldwide Xbox Slim edition of E3 for the Nextbox that would be so historically EPIC.

Ladies and Gentleman the Xbox 720 will be available at the end of this brief. Everyone in the audience gets one for free.

If they did a HUGE televised announcement In April. A pre-E3 announcement. A Post E3 launch, it would be so bezerk in the gaming world that nothing would compare.

Unfortunately, a retailer would leak it. Especially GameStop. But it still would be bananas.

Picking them up at this point just seems kind of reactionary. I have a feeling its for their wider software support. Though no reason Xbox couldn't use it at some point.

maltrain

X720 on june? Jajaja... I bet Microsoft haven't announced anything because they are not even sure of launching the console this year... I'm expecting a big FAIL on the E3, with Microsoft announcing the console for Q1 of 2014.

Well, as last gen showed people are more than happy to pay for the privilege of P2P multiplayer.

I guess Microsoft assumed the consumers would also be fine with P2P OS/game updates*?

*Xbox Live Gold exclusive feature

Picking them up at this point just seems kind of reactionary. I have a feeling its for their wider software support. Though no reason Xbox couldn't use it at some point.

Probably not so much reactionary as it is necessary to finalize deals before revealing them at the announcement party. I highly doubt it was done based on things happening just a short while ago.

This could be a really good pickup if it benefits Win 8/Win Phone/XBL network users with cross platform sharing as well as just speeding up the dissemination of files (videos, and other game-specific user creations) based on peers who also have these chunks of data as well getting us all of these ten+ gigabyte plus next-gen game files much more quickly. As long as it's transparent with an ability to opt-out on the direct peer network and not intrusive otherwise, it sounds like an improvement to me.

Bullza2o

This statement probably considered the "launch" of the PS4 was last month, so the "launch" of the new Xbox is in June.

launch = announcement?

Hex

Banned
Pando is bad news all around.
As far as June goes, I am hoping Microsoft learned a lesson and will not hastily rush hardware out just to be "first".

Come on, guys. No one's foolish enough to launch in June. Clearly, the translation loses something when it means the reveal will be for certain at E3 in June, though it's also pretty clear that MS won't wait until then when it can have its own coming out party beforehand, like they did with previous systems.

M.D

This statement probably considered the "launch" of the PS4 was last month, so the "launch" of the new Xbox is in June.

launch = announcement?

Sorry for taking this long to answer this, but yeah this is what they meant.
The word they used in Hebrew is השקה = launch, so you could say אירוע השקה = launch event, but you could also think about it as announcement like the mainstream media talked about the PS4 ("Sony launched the PS4"). if they had any details about the launch date they would have obviously made a big deal about it

I guess they just didn't hear about the rumors of the announcement in April

TimeKillr

Ha! Pando?

As in that horrible, horrible "Pando Booster" app, which is just a torrent client?

So now, what? If this is enabled on the Durango, wtf is gonna happen? Is it gonna saturate your connection with p2p transfers? wtf.

Respawn

Banned
Come on, guys. No one's foolish enough to launch in June. Clearly, the translation loses something when it means the reveal will be for certain at E3 in June, though it's also pretty clear that MS won't wait until then when it can have its own coming out party beforehand, like they did with previous systems.

Like I said in other threads it's amusing to read the post in GAF. Folks will believe anything these days.

Takuya

Banned
Pando, the background downloading client that nobody likes and thinks is spyware. That + ads = win for Microsoft. :)

Top Bottom