• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelta88

And besides we don't know what Activision said to them.

All due respect but Feynoob copies a resetera members posts and publishes it here. Like that forum or forum members who claim to be experts analyst/lawyer are more informed than the rest of us who are looking at the exact same info. I don't take that those posts seriously. Plus Fey is on record stating that Phil Spencer's PR is legally applicable or holds some form of legal merit, in this very thread lol

Again, if we got back to 2013-2015 there were rumours flying of the unthinkable. ATVI wanted an uncoupling of their marketing deal with XBOX. Rumours that were moving stock prices and influencing buying/selling. And then it happened. Phil saying "XBOX decided." to stop marketing the biggest annual gaming release doesn't make business sense and sounds more like Phil's terrible PR.

What actually happened, according to reports at that time, is that the renegotiated marketing deal also included the fact that XBOX instal base collapsed. And the price ATVI charged had to account for losses in sale projections and simply wasn't worth the price. People need to look at COD sales pre 2013 and compare those sales with 2013-2014. Which of the following makes more sense?

Andrew house stating publicly that PS is now leveraging their increasing ps4 instal base in marketing deals pre COD signing.
OR
Phil Spencer saying that XBOX just decided to give their rival the marketing rights to the biggest annual game release, The resulting royalties and cut of every microtransaction.

If you form your own opinion and don't rely on resetera members to form them for you...

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

All due respect but Feynoob copies a resetera member and publishes it here like that forum or forum members who claim to be experts analyst/lawyer is more informed than the rest of us so looking at the same info. I don't take that those posts seriously. Plus Fey is on record stating that Phil Spencer's PR is legally applicable or holds some form of merit, in this very thread lol

Again, if we got back to 2013-2015 there were rumours flying of the unthinkable. ATVI wanted an uncoupling of their marketing deal with XBOX. Rumours that were moving stock prices and influencing buying/selling. And then it happened. Phil saying "XBOX decided." to stop marketing the biggest annual release doesn't make business sense and sounds more like Phil's terrible PR.

What actually happened, according to reports at that time, is that the renegotiated marketing deal also included the fact that XBOX instal base collapsed. And the price to make up for losses in sale projections simply wasn't worth it. People need to look at COD sales pre 2013 and compare those sales with 2013-2014.

I don't care about how Phil Spencer framed the loss of COD.
I have no respect for fanboy shills or REjectERA people so that explains it.

Last edited:

Three

Don't take this guy seriously. He is hang up on Phil too much .
The statement is from the document, which MS provided to CMA.

Essentially, MS canceled their marketing with Activision
What does the document state? It could be very well that MS decided that it would not renew the marketing deal but that could be because terms made it more costly. Both Phil and Pelta could both be right depending on what was stated.

feynoob

Banned
What does the document state? It could be very well that MS decided that it would not renew the marketing deal but that could be because terms made it more costly. Both Phil and Pelta could both be right depending on what was stated.
It said that MS/xbox decided to not to continue marketing contract with Activision, and look for other markets.

The rest were redacted info.

What you're trying to suggest here doesn't have any significance to the acquisition.

ATVI has zero loyalty and the working relationship meant nothing to ATVI when sales of COD started to go south on the XBOX platform. I'm sure you remember the rumours of ATVI looking to get out of their marketing arrangements with XBOX a couple of years before they were able to. The moment they could sign with PS, they did.

They came out with PR calling PS "The New Home" of Call Of Duty. Loyalty to XBOX and their long standing relationship went out of the proverbial window when the player base/ regions became lopsided in favour of PS. ATVI is only loyal to their share price. Which is why Microsoft paying $95 per share ($25 above asking) means they're willing to switch again. Despite breaking franchise records on PS and calling that platform "home."

Except Microsoft confirms in their CMA filing that they, not Activision, ended their marketing deal in 2015.

oRHLF9c.png

Did you know a higher percentage of Xbox gamers play COD than Playstation gamers? That's direct from Activision data.

DrBUe3b.png

And how do they know Sony's monthly active users to compare the Activision data to? They used Sony's public financial filings. Microsoft used 107 million, which is reflective of the 106 million Sony shows in Q4. Sony's FY21 Q3 number I highlighted represents what it was for the quarter in which the latest COD launched Oct-Dec 2021.
KY1a6Fi.png

They acknowledge that most Call of Duty gamers are on Playstation, but I don't know where you're getting this idea from, that COD sales are somehow bad or unsatisfactory on Xbox. They are not and have never been.

Playstation's 2020 contribution to Activision's overall revenue was 17% ($1.37 billion), making them Activision's largest customer for the year. But that sounds a whole lot less impressive considering the massive gap between Xbox and Playstation consoles sold and yet somehow Xbox was just 6 percentage points worse at 11% ($890 million), making them Activision's 4th largest customer behind Apple (#2) and Google (#3).

For 2021, Apple and Google were Activision's largest customers, bigger even than Playstation with each of them accounting for 17% apiece while Playstation dipped to 15%. Xbox was less than 10% of Activision's revenue in 2021.

Playstation and Xbox were both #1 and #2 last year for Activision in gross receivables. 22% and 20% respectively. Again, mighty impressive despite the huge gap we know exists in terms of user base. Don't let 'not bigger than Playstation' lure you into a false assumption that Xbox isn't an absolutely huge platform for Activision Blizzard because it is. Activision makes a lot of money from Playstation also, but what they make isn't anywhere close to the $68.7 billion they chose to sell to Microsoft for. This is the part I still think escapes many people -- Activision CHOSE Microsoft and Xbox. Their employees want Microsoft and Xbox ownership over current Activision Blizzard leadership.

gothmog

Gold Member
Playstation and Xbox were both #1 and #2 last year for Activision in gross receivables. 22% and 20% respectively. Again, mighty impressive despite the huge gap we know exists in terms of user base. Don't let 'not bigger than Playstation' lure you into a false assumption that Xbox isn't an absolutely huge platform for Activision Blizzard because it is. Activision makes a lot of money from Playstation also, but what they make isn't anywhere close to the $68.7 billion they chose to sell to Microsoft for. This is the part I still think escapes many people -- Activision CHOSE Microsoft and Xbox. Their employees want Microsoft and Xbox ownership over current Activision Blizzard leadership.
Once again who gives a shit what Activision wants? They're the ones selling themselves and have a direct monetary incentive to want this transaction to succeed. To put it in perspective I had a friend of mine try to trade all of his good players in fantasy football to me for all of my shitty players a few years ago. He chose to trade them to me because he was losing and I was right in the middle of the pack, but he did choose to give me them. It didn't stop the rest of the league from vetoing the transaction not because they thought it was in bad faith, but because the transaction itself would have given me an unfair advantage in the league.

Activision and Microsoft have been friends for years as one of the top publishers and one of the top console makers. That does not mean that Activision gets to choose who controls the market.

Warablo

Once again who gives a shit what Activision wants? They're the ones selling themselves and have a direct monetary incentive to want this transaction to succeed. To put it in perspective I had a friend of mine try to trade all of his good players in fantasy football to me for all of my shitty players a few years ago. He chose to trade them to me because he was losing and I was right in the middle of the pack, but he did choose to give me them. It didn't stop the rest of the league from vetoing the transaction not because they thought it was in bad faith, but because the transaction itself would have given me an unfair advantage in the league.

Activision and Microsoft have been friends for years as one of the top publishers and one of the top console makers. That does not mean that Activision gets to choose who controls the market.
This example would only work if Microsoft bought Activision for super cheap under market value.

gothmog

Gold Member
This example would only work if Microsoft bought Activision for super cheap under market value.
The league had no measurement of market value. The trade was legal from a rules perspective and both sides wanted it. It was still vetoed by the regulators of the league because it would have made the league more about collusion than competition.

And Microsoft has demonstrated using real internal data from both them as well Activision along with publicly available data (even provided by Sony themselves) that taking Activision Blizzard does NOT give them an unfair advantage, and is well below the historical thresholds for which regulators have ever found a transaction would create such a scenario.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The league had no measurement of market value. The trade was legal from a rules perspective and both sides wanted it. It was still vetoed by the regulators of the league because it would have made the league more about collusion than competition.
It be collusion if Activision didn't try and get other offers. Microsoft just bid the most. The funniest part is Microsoft will get zero competitive advantage for years. It will be years before COD is on game pass and years before any ABK game is exclusive to Xbox. Sony will get COD for a decade or more. D4 will launch before any deal closes so will be on Playstation. OW2 and warzone are already on Playstation. That leaves 1 possible exclusive in the next serval years the survival game and if its pay to win it will be in Playstation. Microsoft will spend 70 billion and get less out of it than the next several years than sony and money hats of major studios.

It be collusion if Activision didn't try and get other offers. Microsoft just bid the most. The funniest part is Microsoft will get zero competitive advantage for years. It will be years before COD is on game pass and years before any ABK game is exclusive to Xbox. Sony will get COD for a decade or more. D4 will launch before any deal closes so will be on Playstation. OW2 and warzone are already on Playstation. That leaves 1 possible exclusive in the next serval years the survival game and if its pay to win it will be in Playstation. Microsoft will spend 70 billion and get less out of it than the next several years than sony and money hats of major studios.

Owning Activision Blizzard King is a competitive advantage whether the games are exclusive or not. Owning the IPs, studios and all the talent, all the monthly active users being inherited, in addition to all technology while getting all the insane financial upside (especially from Playstation gamers) is a tremendous competitive advantage for Microsoft. There are receivables that sony has not yet paid out to Activision Blizzard that they would essentially be paying now and into the foreseeable future to Microsoft.

Call of Duty isn't the only thing of value from Activision that will be dropping into Game Pass. There's also Diablo 4, their back catalog of games, Blizzard's new AAA survival IP coming up. It may or may not end up exclusive to Xbox, but even then it wouldn't matter. The Activision Blizzard King transaction closing for Xbox, and what it means for Game Pass even years before COD can become a factor for Game Pass, is a bigger deal than anything Sony could possibly have for the next several years, regardless of the money hats. Not even a GTA 6 money-hat successfully cancels out this transaction.

And just imagining Activision Blizzard studios getting hands-on existing Xbox IPs like possibly Halo, Fallout, Conker, etc is all kinds of crazy, not to mention the dormant IP or new IP they could create out of that games factory.

feynoob

Banned
And Microsoft has demonstrated using real internal data from both them as well Activision along with publicly available data (even provided by Sony themselves) that taking Activision Blizzard does NOT give them an unfair advantage, and is well below the historical thresholds for which regulators have ever found a transaction would create such a scenario.
It's not MS job to reach the verdict, as they are the buyer.

The buyer says whatever they want, in order to get their purchase.

It's up to the regulators, to determine if the deal creates any issue for the market or not. And that is what is happening now, and it's why MS gave out that June 2023 date.

We need to see ftc findings, CMA phase 2 findings and EU phase 2 findings.

Until then, hold tight.

gothmog

Gold Member
You're right. The government should just force them to keep making CoD for PlayStation. That's really the most important thing. It's for the players.
These are businesses and not people. If the people don't want to make it for PS anymore they are free to leave. Pretending that this is some kind of forced scenario is beyond absurd.

gothmog

Gold Member
Certain groups of regulators seem to be disagreeing on that front. Not sure what else to tell you.

feynoob

Banned

3liteDragon 3liteDragon
Aside of than fanboys twisted words, it actually makes sense for Activision.

Mw2 made $1b in 10 days. That is how big Activision brand is. Compared to other gamepass games. Even gow doesn't bring that much revenue.

Activision were the first ones to say no to gamepass, during gamepass making.

This also helps MS case, as to why they can't put Activision games on other sub services. They are taking a hit doing that with gamepass, and can't afford to lose more.

feynoob

Banned
Anyway guys, this week or next week should be ftc drop news. We should hear their finding soon.
We might also hear other parties finding too, some other regulators might approve this deal in the process too.

Certain groups of regulators seem to be disagreeing on that front. Not sure what else to tell you.

There has been a final decision rendered by a regulator thus far that has disagreed with Microsoft and Activision's views on the deal? Last I checked, all final decisions thus far have been in Microsoft's favor. Or are you going off of speculation and anonymous reports about what regulators may or may not do?

We've heard only what they're investigating and what their concerns are based on the evidence provided to them. CMA literally went out of its way with its latest update to stress to everyone that what they're publishing is designed to assist public understanding of the issues and that people should not interpret whatever evidence that is published on their pages as an indication that the CMA endorses the views of any party or accepts the evidence provided. The below section on Evidence is the last official word thus far from CMA on this deal. Ask yourself why did they feel the need to caution people that they haven't endorsed any of the views expressed yet, and haven't accepted anybody's evidence as fact yet? Either side can twist it in their favor, but I think it's a clear sign they're concerned about the view they're "protecting" Sony as the market leader.

o0lVoBa.png

They're putting this all out for transparency reasons. We have no idea what the EU, FTC, or CMA truly believes yet. We only have a road map of the CMA's and EU's concerns. If any major regulator had truly reached a final decision on this deal at all detrimental to approval, we would already know.

Even their phase 1 decision makes clear that phase 1 has a lower threshold than phase 2, and that they would be using the determinations based on evidence from phase 1 as the starting point for what parties submit in phase 2, which regardless of a specific party not changing their view (hardly ever happens - whoever wants to kill it, will still want to kill it - whoever wants it to be approved, will still want it approved) will have a much higher bar to meet in order to stop the deal. It doesn't mean they have made a final determination of the evidence they reviewed, only that it's the starting point for any concerns they may have, and it's up to the relevant parties -- particularly Microsoft and Activision -- to address them.

6Pzuzft.png

XOYN5cH.png

sbJZSR1.png

Realistic Prospect does not mean likely. Realistic prospect can be established simply based on an accusation with zero definitive evidence fully vetting the claim at the highest possible standards. The standard is simply the far easier to prove prima facie standard. Prima Facie is also used in immigration-related cases, such as when a woman must provide enough evidence that she could realistically be a victim of abuse by a US Citizen husband. Expect in the case of that particular immigration related case, the victim does not have the abuser countering their claim. The regulatory process gives more power to relevant parties and especially competitors to challenge a quick and easy approval. This deal was never going to get a quick and easy approval anywhere outside of Saudi Arabia.

25rqRLi.png

In phase 2 the federal government would require more concrete evidence of what was alleged in Phase 1. Regulators may or may not agree with Sony's view (I highly doubt it), but phase 1 is accomplished simply by a single affected party relevant to the industry crying foul and providing just enough documentation evidence to suggest the possibility they're telling the truth is real. People are misinterpreting this deal going to deeper investigations as somehow a sign that it's in trouble. And that's where everybody has messed up. There has been one concluded phase 2 investigation to date, the one in Brazil, and it ended in final decision that approved the deal with zero restrictions. I don't expect that in all territories, but I do expect Microsoft to more or less get to do as they please with Activision when all is said and done. No, they never intended to remove COD from Playstation.

Last edited:

Warablo

I mean that is exactly what share prices are.

gothmog

Gold Member
I mean that is exactly what share prices are.
What are you even arguing? I was just sharing a kinda humorous story about my friend trying to stack my fantasy team as an illustration that two parties agreeing that a deal is good is almost meaningless when it comes to a third party deciding if a deal is legal. You brought up something about market value which has little to do with the point of the story.

There has been a final decision rendered by a regulator thus far that has disagreed with Microsoft and Activision's views on the deal? Last I checked, all final decisions thus far have been in Microsoft's favor. Or are you going off of speculation and anonymous reports about what regulators may or may not do?

We've heard only what they're investigating and what their concerns are based on the evidence provided to them. CMA literally went out of its way with its latest update to stress to everyone that what they're publishing is designed to assist public understanding of the issues and that people should not interpret whatever evidence that is published on their pages as an indication that the CMA endorses the views of any party or accepts the evidence provided. The below section on Evidence is the last official word thus far from CMA on this deal. Ask yourself why did they feel the need to caution people that they haven't endorsed any of the views expressed yet, and haven't accepted anybody's evidence as fact yet? Either side can twist it in their favor, but I think it's a clear sign they're concerned about the view they're "protecting" Sony as the market leader.

o0lVoBa.png

They're putting this all out for transparency reasons. We have no idea what the EU, FTC, or CMA truly believes yet. We only have a road map of the CMA's and EU's concerns. If any major regulator had truly reached a final decision on this deal at all detrimental to approval, we would already know.

Even their phase 1 decision makes clear that phase 1 has a lower threshold than phase 2, and that they would be using the determinations based on evidence from phase 1 as the starting point for what parties submit in phase 2, which regardless of a specific party not changing their view (hardly ever happens - whoever wants to kill it, will still want to kill it - whoever wants it to be approved, will still want it approved) will have a much higher bar to meet in order to stop the deal. It doesn't mean they have made a final determination of the evidence they reviewed, only that it's the starting point for any concerns they may have, and it's up to the relevant parties -- particularly Microsoft and Activision -- to address them.

6Pzuzft.png

XOYN5cH.png

sbJZSR1.png

Realistic Prospect does not mean likely. Realistic prospect can be established simply based on an accusation with zero definitive evidence fully vetting the claim at the highest possible standards. The standard is simply the far easier to prove prima facie standard. Prima Facie is also used in immigration-related cases, such as when a woman must provide enough evidence that she could realistically be a victim of abuse by a US Citizen husband. Expect in the case of that particular immigration related case, the victim does not have the abuser countering their claim. The regulatory process gives more power to relevant parties and especially competitors to challenge a quick and easy approval. This deal was never going to get a quick and easy approval anywhere outside of Saudi Arabia.

25rqRLi.png

In phase 2 the federal government would require more concrete evidence of what was alleged in Phase 1. Regulators may or may not agree with Sony's view (I highly doubt it), but phase 1 is accomplished simply by a single affected party relevant to the industry crying foul and providing just enough documentation evidence to suggest the possibility they're telling the truth is real. People are misinterpreting this deal going to deeper investigations as somehow a sign that it's in trouble. And that's where everybody has messed up. There has been one concluded phase 2 investigation to date, the one in Brazil, and it ended in final decision that approved the deal with zero restrictions. I don't expect that in all territories, but I do expect Microsoft to more or less get to do as they please with Activision when all is said and done. No, they never intended to remove COD from Playstation.
I'm too lazy to put in that much effort, so thanks for putting it all into perspective.

It was to be expected that the media, people on twitter, and even some people here would try and dramatize this whole thing. That's entirely different than just being interested in the process to be clear. Where some people are genuinely interested in the process, and the potential for perhaps a glimpse into how the gaming industry works. There are others who simply want to play things up, and create drama just for the sake of doing so.

While there's certainly journalists and twitter users who will inevitably drag their biases and console warring into it, that is especially true for a place like this. There are those whose preference for Playstation makes them take things like this acquisition personally. Deep down, they know sooner or later that they're going to take the L on all this. They know that ultimately this deal gets approved just as you or I do. Their just trying to get whatever short term "win" that they can in the meantime.

Despite all that, it's entertaining for sure. Microsoft's and Sony's flip flopping to regulators is justified considering what they're trying to accomplish and what's at stake. However the same can't be said for the people who do the same for no other reason than support their preferred console. Many of the very people who were quick to claim as soon as the acquisition was announced, that due to the revenue coming from Playstation, that Xbox would never make CoD exclusive. Are now insisting that Xbox absolutely intend to do just that. Even funnier still. Early on they cited Phil Spencer's statement that they would keep it on Playstation. However, now they point to that same statement as being nothing other than PR, and deem it completely worthless. 😂

Last edited:
All due respect but Feynoob copies a resetera members posts and publishes it here. Like that forum or forum members who claim to be experts analyst/lawyer are more informed than the rest of us who are looking at the exact same info. I don't take that those posts seriously. Plus Fey is on record stating that Phil Spencer's PR is legally applicable or holds some form of legal merit, in this very thread lol

Again, if we got back to 2013-2015 there were rumours flying of the unthinkable. ATVI wanted an uncoupling of their marketing deal with XBOX. Rumours that were moving stock prices and influencing buying/selling. And then it happened. Phil saying "XBOX decided." to stop marketing the biggest annual gaming release doesn't make business sense and sounds more like Phil's terrible PR.

What actually happened, according to reports at that time, is that the renegotiated marketing deal also included the fact that XBOX instal base collapsed. And the price ATVI charged had to account for losses in sale projections and simply wasn't worth the price. People need to look at COD sales pre 2013 and compare those sales with 2013-2014. Which of the following makes more sense?

Andrew house stating publicly that PS is now leveraging their increasing ps4 instal base in marketing deals pre COD signing.
OR
Phil Spencer saying that XBOX just decided to give their rival the marketing rights to the biggest annual game release, The resulting royalties and cut of every microtransaction.

If you form your own opinion and don't rely on resetera members to form them for you...

Call of Duty's sales were best on Xbox 360 from 2005-2014. People are letting the Xbox One vs PS4 generation get to their heads. Sales of practically every major 3rd party title -- with the exception of certain japanese titles -- was better on Xbox compared to Playstation for years during the 360 generation. It even continued past that point for a little bit on 360 and even PS4 gen for a bit. COD was still selling better on Xbox up to 2014.

Don't take my word for it, have a look at NeoGAF's own NPD threads. And tell me, what major release could have hurt or impacted sales of an average COD Ghosts that year? Nothing too major, just a little game called Grand Theft Auto V that was only available on Xbox 360 and PS3. It was released in September, but best believe people weren't done playing it by the time COD Ghosts dropped. Then GTA V would launch one year later on the Xbox One and PS4.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/npd-sales-results-for-november-2014-up3-npd-data-error-ac-u-5.950407/

Microsoft can't lie to regulators about a contract those same regulators are going to actually review, including all talks and discussions around the contracts, which are all documented. Hell, the regulators no doubt have been provided the actual contracts themselves You know, since they're relevant to the notion of "partial foreclosure." More than likely what transpired is Microsoft started questioning whether they needed to be in gaming at all due to all the negative backlash surrounding Xbox One and funding was cut for a range of things, meaning including the need to keep paying for a COD marketing contract they felt they didn't need anymore.

It's also entirely possible Microsoft was initially a bit cocky since Xbox One started out actually outselling 360.

jPDuu89.png

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/npd-sales-results-for-december-2014-up2-nintendo-sales-notes.972713/
Y0xCl3i.png

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/npd-sales-results-for-november-2014-up3-npd-data-error-ac-u-5.950407/

xM8xwJl.png

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to put in that much effort, so thanks for putting it all into perspective.

It was to be expected that the media, people on twitter, and even some people here would try and dramatize this whole thing. That's entirely different than just being interested in the process to be clear. Where some people are genuinely interested in the process, and the potential for perhaps a glimpse into how the gaming industry works. There are others who simply want to play things up, and create drama just for the sake of doing so.

While there's certainly journalists and twitter users who will inevitably drag their biases and console warring into it, that is especially true for a place like this. There are those whose preference for Playstation makes them take things like this acquisition personally. Deep down, they know sooner or later that they're going to take the L on all this. They know that ultimately this deal gets approved just as you or I do. Their just trying to get whatever short term "win" that they can in the meantime.

Despite all that, it's entertaining for sure. Microsoft's and Sony's flip flopping to regulators is justified considering what they're trying to accomplish and what's at stake. However the same can't be said for the people who do the same for no other reason than support their preferred console. Many of the very people who were quick to claim as soon as the acquisition was announced, that due to the revenue coming from Playstation, that Xbox would never make CoD exclusive. Are now insisting that Xbox absolutely intend to do just that. Even funnier still. Early on they cited Phil Spencer's statement that they would keep it on Playstation. However, now they point to that same statement as being nothing other than PR, and deem it completely worthless. 😂

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Nailed it. Ultimately, regardless of where people fall in terms of wanting the deal to either succeed or fail, if people are actually bothering to take the time to read a lot of these submissions, like I am doing, you're learning a ton of shit. But then in my line of work I'm not exactly foreign to involvement in the regulatory process, but it would be a waste of time explaining why I'm probably a bit more qualified on the subject than people might initially expect.

I've been asked to provide as part of my job -- or been directly involved in -- submitting evidence to regulators for previous major transactions involving general computer technology/hardware, PC OEMs, personal computer and network storage, network security, cyber-security etc. Nothing ever directly gaming related, although I can say for a fact in my specific industry the Activision Blizzard transaction is definitely the first I've ever seen receive the type of attention that companies like mine are almost certainly involved. I just have no direct involvement this time around (cause it isn't my job, thank god). I do not envy the people who need to prepare such things.

I wonder if that twitter user knows that's only good news for Microsoft and Activision? Or are you the same dragon? Part of what Microsoft is pointing out there is that there can be no competitive issue associated with Activision Blizzard games or Call of Duty going to Game Pass since Activision Blizzard would have never embraced a game pass style digital subscription service with their games, and all their internal documents confirm that.

So when it is argued that Activision Blizzard's games may perhaps one day show up on multi-game subscription services as they become more popular, and Microsoft having them on Game Pass exclusively could be anti-competitive to other competitors and new entrants to the space, Microsoft is stating that it can't be an issue because Activision Blizzard's own internal documents demonstrate they never believed in them in the first place. So there should be no issue with all ABK games going to Game Pass exclusively and not being on PS Plus on equal terms since, without the $68.7 billion Microsoft transaction, Activision's biggest games would have never appeared on any such service.

Part of what Microsoft is pointing out there is that there can be no competitive issue associated with Activision Blizzard games or Call of Duty going to Game Pass since Activision Blizzard would have never embraced a game pass style digital subscription service with their games, and all their internal documents confirm that.

Of course there's a competitive issue that still remains. Having CoD on GamePass, but no other future streaming services, would severely undermine competition if Streaming services became the defacto method of videogame deployment in the future.

Last edited:

Fredrik

That dude probably has shares, no other way I can justify his bollocks.
Lol so what? You think he’s the only one who have stocks in ABK, Sony, MS, etc? This board is likely full of stock owners.
And I too have stocks in a whole bunch of gaming companies, it’s how I’ve payed for all my consoles, games and PC upgrades for years. But that doesn’t mean I can’t talk like a normal person and have my own opinions on stuff, it’s not like anything that is said here will affect anything anyway.

Three

Except Microsoft confirms in their CMA filing that they, not Activision, ended their marketing deal in 2015.

oRHLF9c.png
This doesn't show anything though. If they 'decided' not to continue with the COD co-marketing agreement in 2015 it doesn't mean that Activision weren't looking to strike better deals for itself and don't give a rats ass about some 'relationship'. You don't just 'decide' not to continue comarketing for the most popular console game out there. The terms were either not profitable/beneficial for MS or somebody else offered more and Activison moved without a second thought. The idea that Activision was loyal to MS but MS decided to dump Activison is a silly idea. This isn't some high school romance.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This doesn't show anything though. If they 'decided' not to continue with the COD co-marketing agreement in 2015 it doesn't mean that Activision weren't looking to strike better deals for itself and don't give a rats ass about some 'relationship'. You don't just 'decide' not to continue comarketing for the most popular console game out there. The terms were either not profitable/beneficial for MS or somebody else offered more and Activison moved without a second thought. The idea that Activision was loyal to MS but MS decided to dump Activison is a silly idea. This isn't some high school romance.

Exactly, its just business. Activision has no loyalty to MS or Sony. Generations can shift as shown by 360/ Xbox one era and Sony were the next console manufacturer to back the truck up to Activision. This can easily swing back...or Activision may get bought and that's that.

There is some interesting stuff coming out of this though, I'm enjoying the paperwork abating the facts.

We know MS decided not to continue their support, and they will definitely have had first refusal. Maybe Activision played their cards and asked for more and MS just noted out.

Three

I wonder if that twitter user knows that's only good news for Microsoft and Activision? Or are you the same dragon?
He realises it's news being used to the advantage of the acquisition. Judging by that hashtag it's more poking fun at Phil and his fans bullshit for years about xbox gamepass increasing game sales and not cannibalising it. MS response to regulators now make that undoubtedly clear that there is cannibalisation of game sales and publishers don't want to add their content.

MS: "And as the financial model shows, adding Activision content to Game Pass is not without cost to the existing business, which suffers a []% cannibalization rate of Xbox game sales"

I guess you can't bullshit regulators like you can the general public.

Fredrik

We know MS decided not to continue their support, and they will definitely have had first refusal. Maybe Activision played their cards and asked for more and MS just noted out.
Was probably Good Guy Phil™ pulling the plug after the backlash from the Rise of the Tomb Raider deal, thought it would gain them better PR to do less deals. And now they’re stuck honoring Sony’s contracts until the end of the generation even if they end up owning ABK, probably won’t even be able to have CoD on Gamepass going by other contracts Sony has signed.
Jim is usually a PR trainwreck but he’s a mastermind when it comes to the behind the scenes business work.

Three

How so? Competition authorities don't look at whether something is above market value to assess reduced competition. That would only be an issue to shareholders who would never agree to it anyway.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
89652_44_sony-tried-to-bring-playstation-plus-xbox-but-microsoft-will-not-permit-it_full.jpg

Sony has tried to bring PlayStation Plus on Xbox, but Microsoft 'will not permit' the service on their ecosystem--Sony has likewise 'blocked' Game Pass. Neither Sony nor Microsoft are willing to allow either company's competing services on their respective platforms.

Here's the specific excerpt from Sony's CMA response (Page 14, para. 40):

Third, Microsoft argues that demand for multi-game subscription services would not tip towards Game Pass because Microsoft would also make Game Pass available on PlayStation (Microsoft, para.1.3(g)). But the wider availability of the leading provider (Game Pass), now endowed with exclusive irreplaceable content, and protected by direct and indirect network effects, would makes it harder - not easier - for rival multi-game subscription services to compete. Microsoft's stance that Game Pass availability on PlayStation would be a panacea for the harm from this Transaction rings particularly hollow given that Microsoft does not permit PlayStation Plus to be available on Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom