• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

POKEYCLYDE

I'm appreciating the fact that discussions about the acquisition are allowed here. Over at Resetera, if you disapprove of the acquisition, you get gang banged by the frat boys there like Iron Eddie, BobLobLaw, T0kenAussie etc. And you even get permabanned over there if you try to argue that the acquisition isn't a good thing.
It's definitely an echo chamber over there for the most part, seems more pro-acquisition, but all I've seen is bans come when arguments devolve into insults and general warring. Typically that happens to the anti-acquisition crowd because they get frustrated at the overwhelming pro-acquisition stance.

drganon

I'm appreciating the fact that discussions about the acquisition are allowed here. Over at Resetera, if you disapprove of the acquisition, you get gang banged by the frat boys there like Iron Eddie, BobLobLaw, T0kenAussie etc. And you even get permabanned over there if you try to argue that the acquisition isn't a good thing.
Resetera is just a toxic echo chamber that's only good for the occasional insider leak.

One thing Microsoft has inadvertently made clear through this process is just how damaging they view Sony's exclusives and third party exclusives to their efforts.

To be crystal clear, when I say "damaging" I'm talking about XBOX not Microsoft as a whole. Their entire argument against PS basically boils down to "But Playstation got games."

I mean, yeah? That’s why they’re trying to acquire studios to develop games to rival them. If anything PS are playing down their exclusive output.

X-Wing

I hope the deal gets blocked, but I doubt that will happen considering how much money Microsoft puts into lobbying regulators en bribery. Microsoft isn't a company that can be trusted, their entire history lies on opportunism and screwing over the competition instead of leading by innovation.

I think the deal itself will be negative to the industry and will, indeed, grant Microsoft unfair advantage over its rivals.

First off, it will move one of the major publishers in the gaming industry to the hands of Big Tech. Big tech that is already too big to be regulated or scrutinised, Big Tech with which neither Nintendo nor Sony can compete financially.

Secondly, the only companies that can compete with Microsoft financially (Apple, Google, Meta, Amazon...), will be at great disadvantage if they ever decide to expand their gaming/cloud gaming offers, since Microsoft will then already be the owner of massive IP in the gaming segment.

Thirdly they are not only a platform holder when it comes to the Xbox console, they also have a tight grasp on a OS monopoly in the PC world, they have tried to push the Microsoft Store for years without success. They know there is a lot of money to be taken out of Valve's hands with the sales of gaming software and add-ons (and data) but they also know that PC gamers are very resistant to change and loyal to Steam (Epic Games Store shows this much). By acquiring publishers that make games that are popular among the PC crowd and offering that on Game Pass they will finally have a chance at pulling some PC gamers to their Xbox ecosystem. They also desperately need PC gamers to tap into Game Pass because the PC platform has a huge established audience already while the pool of people that can sign up to Game Pass on console is much smaller and is dependent on the number of consoles sold (area in which they struggle, and will keep struggling, in comparison to PlayStation and Nintendo).

Finally the deal would also allow them to have a presence in the mobile sector with the acquisition of King. Game Pass on mobile is cool and all but those games aren't made to be played on a smartphone and most people don't want the console experience on their phones (because it sucks), King would solve this for them.

And yes, Game Pass will probably never be profitable if you look just at the number of subscribers vs the investment they need to make to put content in there. But Microsoft's goal for the past few years has been to sell services and pull traffic into Azure -> where the big buck of the company is being made! And Game Pass has a lot of potential to help them there. The data they can collect from Azure traffic is a lot more valuable than subscriptions...

Oh, on a final note. For those who are cheering for the deal because they want COD on Game Pass. Microsoft didn't need to buy Activision for that. They just had to offer a better deal to Activision than the deal PlayStation offered, they certainly have the financial capacity for that but they never cared for it, until now...

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Who'd have thunk that they'd love corporate overlords on REEE. Funny shit. Using your brain is strictly forbidden over there.

X-Wing

Who'd have thunk that they'd love corporate overlords on REEE. Funny shit. Using your brain is strictly forbidden over there.
That is to Microsoft's merit to be honest. The fact that a company like Microsoft can get anti-capitalists thinking they somehow are consumer-friendly is much due to all the money spent buying consumer sympathy.

Era does seem to think that the acquisition will somehow put aan end to the sexual harassment and discrimination complaints on Activison, but Microsoft is facing the same issues as Activision so the cesspool will only become bigger.

That or you know... They are a bunch of hypocrites who drop their anti-capitalistic morals to have Call of Duty on Game Pass (despite the fact that the acquisition isn't necessary for that).

NickFire

No I'm talking about how discussions are allowed here and u don't get permabanned for being against the acquisition.

Granted I haven't read through all 378 pages here but has anyone gotten banned for being for or against the acquisition?
No one gets banned for being for or against. You might see some bans but they aren’t for that. Generally it would be personal attacks, complaints about community for not agreeing with a position, or sheer absurdity in Behavior.

Pelta88

That is to Microsoft's merit to be honest. The fact that a company like Microsoft can get anti-capitalists thinking they somehow are consumer-friendly is much due to all the money spent buying consumer sympathy.

Era does seem to think that the acquisition will somehow put aan end to the sexual harassment and discrimination complaints on Activison, but Microsoft is facing the same issues as Activision so the cesspool will only become bigger.

That or you know... They are a bunch of hypocrites who drop their anti-capitalistic morals to have Call of Duty on Game Pass (despite the fact that the acquisition isn't necessary for that).

I've been an era member for a while now. Everyone knows that the mods have an agenda. in private chats it seems some of the mods are XBOX influencers. I have no idea how true that is but that's the underground narrative among members there.

Last edited:

X-Wing

I've been an era member for a while now. Everyone knows that the mods have an agenda. in private chats it seems some of the mods are XBOX influencers. I have no idea how true that is but that's the underground narrative among members there.
It does feel that way...

Rykan

Its interesting to see you express your appreciation for open discussion of this topic, considering your contribution thus far has been limited to spamming laughing emotes at anyone you disagree with. Perhaps you'd be willing to actually join in the discussion with a little more substance?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Corporations started waving rainbow flags around the time Occupy Wall Street was about to explode, they corralled the lemmings from one side to the other and effectively stamped it out. Like shiny things to a goldfish.
retro games lemmings GIF

They won't change their social media pics in the Middle East and most parts of Asia, however.

Last edited:

reksveks

MLex has a brief report about the meeting:

- Different executives from Sony met Verstager.
- Sony's delegation was led by Jim Ryan.
- Sony pressed again their case for a block.
- Same old arguments: 1) MS could withhold Call of Duty from other consoles or platforms; 2) MS might degrade how Call of Duty works with other gaming platforms.
- Statement of Objections coming this week (it has to be tomorrow).

From Idas at Resetera.

Microsoft should be careful releasing any decent games now because it really doesn’t help their case at all.

They should stick to “no games” for at least another 6 months.

Stuns like hi-fi rush are a bad idea
I feel that this shit is stunting the games industry. Just get it over with. It’s probably why sony hasnt done an sop/showcase or released silent hill the short message either

POKEYCLYDE

Microsoft should be careful releasing any decent games now because it really doesn’t help their case at all.

They should stick to “no games” for at least another 6 months.

Stuns like hi-fi rush are a bad idea
Releasing good games that are exclusive isn't going to move the needle, especially not something at the scope of Hi-Fi Rush.

Especially not when Microsoft can point to that studio's last game still being exclusive to Playstation (giving credence to the fact they honor contracts). Microsoft could also point to their Developer Direct and say that 2 out of the 5 games shown will be on Playstation.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Trying in this case as it's not yet complete.

That's not including Activision. You get that they acquired 8 studios with the Zenimax acquisition alone, right?

Bethesda brings an impressive portfolio of games, technology, talent and a track record of blockbuster commercial success. We are excited to welcome eight incredibly talented development studios and their passionate player communities to Team Xbox, and look forward to bringing Bethesda’s future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox, PC and Android through the cloud.

Source: https://news.microsoft.com/features/microsoft-finalizes-acquisition-of-zenimax-media/

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
MLex has a brief report about the meeting:

- Different executives from Sony met Verstager.
- Sony's delegation was led by Jim Ryan.
- Sony pressed again their case for a block.
- Same old arguments: 1) MS could withhold Call of Duty from other consoles or platforms; 2) MS might degrade how Call of Duty works with other gaming platforms.
- Statement of Objections coming this week (it has to be tomorrow).

From Idas at Resetera.
Is Sony retarded?
I mean. Microsoft if offering legally enforceable 10-year deal for Call of Duty on PlayStation with "no PlayStation Plus block" clause with feature parity and Sony is still arguing that Microsoft is taking Call of Duty from PlayStation?

This is like going into store and complaining about price of something. And seller would offer you 20% off this product and also that he will bundle you some things as a bonus. And you are still complaining about original high price.

Just wow

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Is Sony retarded?
I mean. Microsoft if offering legally enforceable 10-year deal for Call of Duty on PlayStation with "no PlayStation Plus block" clause with feature parity and Sony is still arguing that Microsoft is taking Call of Duty from PlayStation?

Just wow
is just part of the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom