• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

This is HUGE.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc
-------------------
Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.
-------------------

Edit: obviously for this to work with PSN, Sony needs to allow the same from PSN versus other networks. Not only PCs.

Edit 2: tweet from Ybarra: "On cross network play: gamers want more people to play with. We're enabling that and giving devs bigger MP pools."

Edit 3: Chris Charla states this is for any game, not just ID@Xbox.

Wow! I am so confused by MS right now. Lol. One moment they appear to be building a walled garden the next they are building bridges to other communities.

khaaan

I wonder if that means Xbone is going to get FFXIV. A surge of new players would be enough to get me to jump back.

Great news for Xbox owners.

Arkanius

Time for PC players to show why the Mouse and Keyboard is almost cheating agains controllers? :)

Good for Microsoft to finally open themselves, but it's a kneejerk reaction to loosing marketshare...

Whats the catch?

Do games have to run on MS servers only or something? I cant imagining this is as nice sounding in reality as it is. I just cant. Can it?

Elandyll

Banned
All according to keikkaku ;)

This is imo only logical and follows in the plan of the Windows 10 transition...

People still expecting a traditionnal closed Xbox Two console will probably end up disappointed.

Now, we should see if FF XIV comes to Xbox One. ;)

Based Microsoft. Now will Sony reciprocate and allow X-play with Live?

edit: Or is this just "Use Xbox Live or use your own custom network but not PSN"?

NH Apache

Banned
If only they could make this retro active for games like division and Rocket League, but hot damn, this is great news!

Edit: Just saw the other thread. RL WOOOOO!

Top Bottom