• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Update:

Japanese Entertainment Corporation Genda To Acquire a Majority of Sega Entertainment Shares

https://www.siliconera.com/genda-sega-entertainment-shares/

SvXsMZl.jpg

Another rumor from 4chan. this rumor though was floating around for decades, Microsoft need a Japanese studio for the Japanese market, they are going first in the next Tokyo Game Show this Wednesday, will they finally confirm this old rumor?

This video explains the long history of Microsoft with SEGA

Hints and clues discovered by NeoGaf members, thanks guys:messenger_beaming:

KrfYXeI.jpg

8b4b32b8a74eba284a3538331852105f.jpg

VYTo144.jpg

OHG9ekQ.png

kWBAZT3.jpg

ZrLEsBb.jpg

DC-Windows-CE.jpg

njgNuNS.png

l16D6rl.jpg

A9bCxLo.jpg

hngvLZZ.jpg

bF5jVzZ.jpg

jVuDEoQ.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Wild speculation and rumors are two different things.

Also, Microsoft has a Japanese studio. It's called Tango Gameworks.

This Bethesda acquisition thing certainly had one clear effect. It made people on the internet 20 times dumber. 😂

PS: don't title things as fact when you're just vomiting crap from 4chan, please.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

I seriously don't understand the hype around Sega anymore, if this were the 90's yeah, but these days it is such a meh publisher just like Konami that are way past it and are basically now only running on nostalgia.

They obviously have some truly beloved franchises, but they just don't seem to fit into today's game sphere unless they are on the Switch. Personally, I would find this a waste of money unless it is a bargain buy. I know I will get a tongue lashing for this, but this is just my stance on Sega. There are simply far superior Japanese games studios that have risen to prominence that I would be prefer over Sega.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's funny to see some responding like this has any merit.

The crap about Yakuza Kiwami 3 gives it away. The Kiwami series was done to refresh Yakuza 1 and 2 because they were PS2 games. 3 just got a remaster because it was already a modern Yakuza game and does not need a Kiwami.

Incidentally, whoever wrote this "rumor" doesn't know what they're talking about, look at this crap.

All this plus the fact that they are teaming with asobo makes it look that microsoft its decided to establish in the japanese market.

This complete cretin thinks Asobo is a Japanese company because "Asobo" means "Let's Play" in Japanese. They don't even know that Asobo (the developer of Microsoft Flight Simulator) is a French studio.

What a dolt. 😂

Last edited:

LordCBH

It's funny to see some responding like this has any merit.

There's no actual rumor of any announcement coming Wednesday, just so you guys stop imploding.

I really just expect the usual lip service of “we’re committed to japan” while all the Japanese folks use the time to go get snacks of something.

Stuart360

I seriously don't understand the hype around Sega anymore, if this were the 90's yeah, but these days it is such a meh publisher just like Konami that are way past it and are basically now only running on nostalgia.

They obviously have some truly beloved franchises, but they just don't seem to fit into today's game sphere unless they are on the Switch. Personally, I would find this a waste of money unless it is a bargain buy. I know I will tongue lashing for this, but this is just my stance on Sega. There are simply far superior Japanese games studios that have risen to prominence that I would be prefer over Sega.
Yeah thats how i see it. If it was 90's Sega then fuck me sideways!. I dont even know if Sega even have inhouse dev teams anymore, they seem to outsource everything these days.

Yeah thats how i see it. If it was 90's Sega then fuck me sideways!. I dont even know if Sega even have inhouse dev teams anymore, they seem to outsource everything these days.
Would be cool, but sega flourished in the early 90's. Their style of games haven't matured since.

LordCBH

The thing about this rumor that makes no sense to me:

Why spend that kind of cash on a market that has clearly rejected you over and over? It won’t result in a foothold in the Japanese market, it’ll just result in Japanese gamers not buying Sega products. Like Bethesda I can see, it’s in your primary market, TES sells gangbusters. But Sega? Would make no sense.

Mattyp

Gold Member
What amount of money would it take ?

Not that much, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see SEGA Japan spin off their gaming division while maintaining rights to use characters for their gambling machines and arcade centres in Japan where the bulk of their income comes from. They've always been friendly with Microsoft for a Japanese company and if they where to go to test the water I could see Microsoft snapping them up. I've talked about this on and off for years and think it's only a matter of time.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Not that much, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see SEGA Japan spin off their gaming division while maintaining rights to use characters for their gambling machines and arcade centres in Japan where the bulk of their income comes from. They've always been friendly with Microsoft for a Japanese company and if they where to go to test the water I could see Microsoft snapping them up. I've talked about this on and off for years and think it's only a matter of time.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read today. Sega's gaming division is literally their only moneymaker at the moment.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

bender

What time is it?
The thing about this rumor that makes no sense to me:

Why spend that kind of cash on a market that has clearly rejected you over and over? It won’t result in a foothold in the Japanese market, it’ll just result in Japanese gamers not buying Sega products. Like Bethesda I can see, it’s in your primary market, TES sells gangbusters. But Sega? Would make no sense.

Phil was probably drunk when he watched Wolf of Wallstreet and took away all the wrong lessons.

giphy.gif

On the plus side we are getting helicopters in Flight Sim.

Top Bottom