• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

bender

What time is it?
My hunch says it is Valve corp. Not SEGA.

giphy.gif

Aladin

Think,
1. Sony invested in Epic, a new emerging digital storefront. A competitor to steam.
2. Valve is privately owned like Bethesda, you would not know is sale is being negotiated.
3. Cross ownership of title between PC and console, next pro-consumer step after backwards compatibility.
4. Valve takes stake in most indie titles, all this IP will end up on gamepass.
5. Consolidation brings price competitiveness, which can drive more developers to adopt xbox ecosystem.
6. It is a shame that a trillion dollar company cannot control digital game sales share on it's own windows ecosystem. So, this is personal.
7. Also explains a bit why sony is bringing games to PC ?

Dolomite

Think,
1. Sony invested in Epic, a new emerging digital storefront. A competitor to steam.
2. Valve is privately owned like Bethesda, you would not know is sale is being negotiated.
3. Cross ownership of title between PC and console, next pro-consumer step after backwards compatibility.
5. Consolidation brings price competitiveness, which can drive more developers to adopt xbox ecosystem.
6. It is a shame that a trillion dollar company cannot control digital game sales share on it's own windows ecosystem. So, this is personal.
More than a reach, that's a rabbit hole for sure, but what you've described something entirely plausible. and after discovering that Zenimax was literal pocket change for MS...
......... Fuck it I'm in on valve, set em' up and deal me a hand

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I can't see Valve happening.

Zenimax makes about a half billion in revenue each year and sold for 7.5 billion. They overpaid because it adds value to the brand overall.

Valve is privately held and makes 4 billion a year whether they release anything or not.

It's also a pretty iffy buy for their game development which is not very productive. They would mostly be buying Steam, which would kind of fit in their business, it wouldn't really ad value to the brand or operation at large so I just don't think it's worth what they would probably have to pay to make it happen.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Zenimax makes about a half billion in revenue each year and sold for 7.5 billion. They overpaid because it adds value to the brand overall.

Valve is privately held and makes 4 billion a year whether they release anything or not.

It's also a pretty iffy buy for their game development which is not very productive. They would mostly be buying Steam, which would kind of fit in their business, it wouldn't really ad value to the brand or operation at large so I just don't think it's worth what they would probably have to pay to make it happen.
Valve won't sell, especially to Microsoft. They have literally no reason to. Gabe is a billionaire, hates MS, and has a stranglehold on PC gaming. Why would he sell? Sony couldn't afford Valve either.

Aladin

It was acquiring ad agency double click that made google a giant.

Valve, the market share it will help provide, the industry relations (beyond profit) makes it a more valuable acquisition than acquiring any game studio.

Flintty

Valve won't sell, especially to Microsoft. They have literally no reason to. Gabe is a billionaire, hates MS, and has a stranglehold on PC gaming. Why would he sell? Sony couldn't afford Valve either.

Different industry but you could have said similar about Lucas - Star Wars - Disney. Nobody would have predicted that. Stranger things have happened 🤣

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Think,

More than a reach, that's a rabbit hole for sure, but what you've described something entirely plausible. and after discovering that Zenimax was literal pocket change for MS...
......... Fuck it I'm in on valve, set em' up and deal me a hand

Fuck sake guys you broke my meter.
075818e2342a80d5012384cf38d88b81.gif

Can't honestly tell if this is sarcasm or not.

It's Wednesday folks. Phil is currently in Shinagawa as we speak with Major Nelson. He said he's there on vacation but he can't fool the good people on GAF. Unless he's really there on vacation and having a gay affair with Major Nelson.... Umm never mind that, Phil is a Chad and he's there to buy Sega. It's happening.

Top Bottom