• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Donwel

Neo Member
Used to love Sega way back when, but nothing they release now really interests me. Sure if it meant games from their back catalogue, and their arcade games, coming back then sure it would be amazing.
Don't forget that Sega own Atlus, so in all likelihood MS buying them would probably make SMT and persona Xbox exclusives.

Bryank75

Banned
No idea if this is feasible but at least it's given another platform for a bunch of people who've spent the last seven years waving their cyber-wangs around about a console with 60% market share and how it has the only good exclusives to whine about "monopolies"
Maybe in the states it's 60%. In europe and almost everywhere else it's 80% or more.

Starfield

Dunno who dat dude is but..

EigjIH-UcAEPD8t

On Demand

Banned
It's happening. The blue controller is a hint.

A blue controller doesn’t mean anything. They’ve had blue controllers already. If you look hard enough you can find meanings to anything.

And as someone already mentioned, how did the Bethesda purchase not leak all this time yet another big buy out is known so easily?

Still waiting on that $50 price drop for SX and SS today along with a Xbox show with new games and gameplay.

Alan Wake

Who knows, but right now I don't think this is true, and as a former Sega fanboy I hope it isn't. Sega are not what they used to be, so I can't see what the gain would be for Microsoft. What do they want? Sonic? Football Manager? Bethesda made perfect sense. Sega doesn't.

martino

They are. But if I want to game ANYTHING, I have to live with them.
what ? end of exclusive will not man end of good games ? can you spin an argument for a laught ?
But for me personally there is a difference between franchises that always have been exclusive (so you know what you have to buy if you want a Halo, a Uncharted or a Mario) and company A/B/C buying a publisher to turn multiplatform titles into exclusives.
i mean buyout make it clear unlike surpise moneyhat for full or time exclusive. there is little doubt of where you need to be to be sure to play the games.
the root of the problem here seems more to be it's not where you can accept it to be.

Last edited:

Bridges

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this. I love Sega, and I'm getting an Xbox, so it'd be cool to know everything they're coming out with will be on my platform, but Sonic and SMT have such a heavy brand association with Nintendo now, and similarly Persona and Yakuza do with Playstation.

I don't think it's true but now this weird controller stuff is starting to make me doubt

HarryKS

This would be material news silly. You don't announce it at a trade show. You file papers for it and release it on Newswire.

Otherwise, it'd lead to insider trading.

DarkBatman

what ? end of exclusive will not man end of good games ? can you spin an argument for a laught ?

i mean buyout make it clear unlike surpise moneyhat for full or time exclusive. there is little doubt of where you need to be to be sure to play the games.
the root of the problem here seems more to be it's not where you can accept it to be.

Don't only read my comments, please try to understand.
I'm not a big fan of the general exclusive strategy because your automatically forcing a large gamer group to get ONE console.
But I'd say "I don't buy a gaming console of a company that pushes exclusives", I couldn't puy PS, Xbox or Switch.

And like I also said, I got no problem, I pre ordered a PS5 and XSX. So I don't have to accept anything.
I just don't like the general practice.

martino

Don't only read my comments, please try to understand.
I'm not a big fan of the general exclusive strategy because your automatically forcing a large gamer group to get ONE console.
But I'd say "I don't buy a gaming console of a company that pushes exclusives", I couldn't puy PS, Xbox or Switch.

And like I also said, I got no problem, I pre ordered a PS5 and XSX. So I don't have to accept anything.
I just don't like the general practice.

Me too, but i prefer old xbox exclusives to be exclusive again than to see another gen with near no competition (we begin to see where it leads us on game price for example)
Because MS was there before this move imo.
We clearly don't want a too dominant MS but that is true for Sony too...and mind-share is clearly too much in Sony favor for now
we need more balance.

Last edited:

Bkdk

I do hope MS would get platinum games, scalebound is one of the most interesting console project and sadly they cancelled it. Sega isn't bad, yakuza games will fill their Japanese IP void and seems like they have a good relationship with sega as yakuza games are on gamepass.

FranXico

Me too, but i prefer old xbox exclusives to be exclusive again than to see another gen with near no competition (we begin to see where it lead us on game price for example)
Because MS was there before this move imo.
We clearly don't a too dominant MS but that is true for Sony too...and mind-share is clearly too much in Sony favor for now
we need more balance.
The price hike was already discussed before and plenty of people saw it coming. Not on Sony alone. There's Xbox versions of games getting priced at $70 too.

What you are witnessing is a an industry takeover. This isn't "restoring balance", it's a disproportionate unbalance towards MS control of a large part of the industry. And why was there no balance? Because Sony has mindshare? Then MS needed to work to earn it like Sony did, not buy out big third party publishers just because.

JLB

Banned
Around 15 years or so ago, authorities would act on Microsoft. But they're one of the biggest lobbyists in congress now, therefore pretty much unstoppable.

Make no mistakes, they are taking over the industry and are going to gateway everything everyone plays. This isn't just about "crushing Sony". It's about absolute control.

True gamers who love the hobby should not support this. But here we are.

You act as if Microsoft is the market leader, when its not. Sony is nearly 2,5:1, worldwide and 10:1 in many markets. Oh, and I didnt read so much concern around here when just a couple of days ago there were multiple rumors of Sony approaching every single major publisher to sign exclusivity deals.

Alx

I'm not really buying it, two big acquisitions in a row seem a bit far-fetched.
Also I would have been excited by such rumor a few years ago, Sega was by far my favourite publisher since the arcade days, but for the past few years they didn't release anything appealing to me (ok I'll admit the Sonic racing games were good, but that's it). Gone are the glory days of AM2, Sonic Team, Smilebit etc.

Top Bottom