• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft calls on consumers to buy...Nintendo Wii?

Here's the Link

From Reuters:

Microsoft sides with Nintendo in fight vs Sony
Thu May 11, 2006 2:25 PM BST

By Daisuke Wakabayashi

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. <MSFT.O> sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. <7974.OS> on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp.<6758.T>, saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3.

The bad blood between Sony and Microsoft in the fight for dominance in the nearly $30 billion video game industry has escalated over the last few days, with both sides trading barbs at the E3 Expo, the video game industry's annual trade show.

Microsoft entered the next-generation game console market first with its Xbox 360 last November.

Sony aims to extend its market leadership with its upcoming PS3, while Nintendo plans to offer a new game machine called Wii in the fourth quarter.

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Microsoft predicted on Tuesday it will have 10 million Xbox 360 consoles in the market before Sony launches the PS3. The high-end Xbox 360 sells for $399, but it does not include a built-in high-definition DVD video player that comes with Sony's PS3.

Sony plans to sell a premium PS3 model for $599 when it debuts in North America on November 17, and Nintendo has not yet disclosed pricing for Wii.

Wii comes equipped with motion sensitive controllers to allow users to mimic the motion of wielding a sword or swinging a tennis racket.

Moore then turned pitchman for Nintendo's Wii, the latest offering from the Japanese company that once dominated the video game industry.

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

Sony currently dominates the worldwide video game market with a 66 percent share, while Microsoft and Nintendo each hold 17 percent, according to Strategy Analytics.

"We have 100 percent market share of the next-generation, and their job is to take that from us," said Moore.

"When I think on everything that we've got going right now that is real versus what Sony promises to do six, seven months from now, obviously we feel very good about where we stand."

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Despite Microsoft's head start with the Xbox 360, the software giant still faces an uphill climb in Sony and Nintendo's home turf.

Microsoft received a tepid response to its Xbox 360 debut in Japan and demand fell short of expectations during last year's holiday season when it sold about 100,000 machines.

The company introduced a competitively priced console in Japan, but some of its game titles did not appeal to Japanese gamers. Moore expects upcoming role-playing games like "Lost Odyssey" and "Blue Dragon" from the creator of the popular "Final Fantasy" series to do well in Japan.

"Quite frankly," said Moore, "if we're sitting here a year from now and things continue to fall flat, then we might say 'we don't know what to do anymore."'

I'm flabberghasted. I never thought I would see the day in this industry when it would change so much in just a few short days. This E3 truly changed everything.

jman2050

I still want a PS3, but the pricing ensured that it'll be the last next-gen console I buy. Wii and possibly 360 ftw.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Wow.

Moore on Japan said:
"Quite frankly," said Moore, "if we're sitting here a year from now and things continue to fall flat, then we might say 'we don't know what to do anymore."'

He has a point. I'm picking up my 360 next month and Wii for launch. PS3 for sure as well, but not til some ways down the line when it's had a couple of price cuts. First Sony console I'll have skipped on at launch.

MrDaravon

Funny but true. I'll be getting a wii at launch, and 360 if I don't already have one by then. PS3 will be late next year, and that's only if I crack for MGS4.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MS should drop the core system all together, drop the price of the premium pack, then package in a Wii with a Premium 360 for $600. hah. id buy it. 8)

Drek

The motion sensing controller of Wii, better graphics than X360, and a blu-ray high def player out of the box. One system. Thats what Sony will sell it as. Why buy Wii and 360 when we have everything they've got, plus blu ray, and you only need one system.

Adding motion sensors to the remote never looked so smart.

Wii60 camp here aswell. I'll have to see how PS3 turns out, but it won't be a long while til I get it, including any discounts available to me.

smashingass.gif

I'm sorry, somehow this just seemed to be an appropriate assdition to this thread.

Wollan

This gen is going to be the ultimate console war. If Sony comes out of it with a 3:1 lead that's just going to show how amazing they are, unrockable. I guess the gloves are officially off for all companies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Microsoft is surrendering to Nintendo?!

Did I just hear that right? o_0

NotMSRP

Yep. Wii/Xbox/DS will be my next console purchases. Will wait patiently for 360/PS3/PSP prices to drop like a rock.

This may work well for Microsoft if they keep talking nice about Wii many Nintendo fans may also think about adding a 360 to the must buy list.

It could work

Sony better stop this Wii60 shit before it becomes the next big thing

I wish I could find that old post I made on the GAF before GAF or something... But back in '03 I said, 'MS and Ninty will DP Sony in the next-gen.' It looks like I'm Nostra-fucking-damus. That, or it just all stems from my belief that it's very unhealthy for a closed-platform and cycle-based industry, like the games one, to be under one rule for too long.

Anyway...

Wii60, bitches!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
moore doesn't take nintendo seriously at all. :/

can you imagine him advocating a sony console under any circumstances? er, short of being hired by sony?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Drek said:
The motion sensing controller of Wii, better graphics than X360, and a blu-ray high def player out of the box. One system. Thats what Sony will sell it as. Why buy Wii and 360 when we have everything they've got, plus blu ray, and you only need one system.

Adding motion sensors to the remote never looked so smart.

YEP! PS3>Wii60

Smiles and Cries said:
This may work well for Microsoft if they keep talking nice about Wii many Nintendo fans may also think about adding a 360 to the must buy list.

It could work

Sony better stop this Wii60 shit before it becomes the next big thing

My prediction: Sony drops the price of Playstation 3 in 2 weeks. :lol

7Th

MEGATON: Wii is an add-on to the 360. Connect them to get NEXT-GEN graphics for your Wii games AND a gyroscopic controller for your 360's games.

B E L I E V E.

Shmmeee

I was all about PS3/Wii combo until E3, now with the price of PS3, the quality of 360 stuff (especially live and that camera tech demo) I've changed my mind to Wii60.

I think they should push this even more, they're obviously different markets, Wii doesn't do media functionality, 360 doesn't do Mario, Zelda and innovation :)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Yeah if they port MGS4 to 360 I'll be very happy. Thats the only thing I care about on PS3. I lost interest in final fantasy after oooh.. FF8.

Top Bottom