• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Xbox head Phil Spencer discuss further acquisitions

GeorgPrime

Banned
Why do we need to talk only about the recent studio management by Microsoft instead of their overall history of poorly handling studios and why are you specifically talking about Sony and avoiding talking Nintendo?

Why should Microsoft talk about Nintendo? Its turning into their unoffical "Xbox Portable" with the Switch.

At this rate game pass price will at least increase to $50 a month. I mean ea play and now this?

Why? They dont have to pay Game Pass fees now for another 6 developers.

Last edited:
Why do we need to talk only about the recent studio management by Microsoft instead of their overall history of poorly handling studios and why are you specifically talking about Sony and avoiding talking Nintendo?

I didn't avoid Nintendo on purpose. I just am more aware of Sony's situation.

Could you enlighten me about Microsoft's supposed bad studio management? I don't recall any of the recent acquisitions doing poorly, most notably Mojang. I wasn't implying Sony was bad, simply arguing that buying/closing studios is normal course of business, and both Microsoft/Sony have done it.

Eliciel

You know I wasn't going to say anything about that behaviour, but I just can't deal with the amount of stupidity I am perceiving.

How can you drive yourself so off balance in the course of a few days by these comments, Dear Microsoft?
In the beginning this started being a "nice addition to the XBOX family" style of purchasing studios, now, this is slowly turning to become a taker over slaughter house for anything that can generate a game that's worth playing.

I am calling you out:
Take care XBOX don't put yourself in the corner too fast by acting too entitled to the gamer's vote.
We don't owe you shit, play fair and stay fair and stay humble and DELIVER content first and don't start acting like some kind of douche up front, seriously, don't do that. Don't believe that just being the biggest will buy you compassion and love for your products. It's hard earned.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Coulda done without the cringe title, but idk why this would surprise anyone.

Don't be surprised if Sony has some announcements to make themselves regarding purchases.

We're in it now.

You know I wasn't going to say anything about that behaviour, but I just can't deal with the amount of stupidity I am perceiving.

How can you drive yourself so off balance in the course of a few days by these comments, Dear Microsoft?
In the beginning this started being a "nice addition to the XBOX family" style of purchasing studios, now, this is slowly turning to become a taker over slaughter house for anything that can generate a game that's worth playing.

I am calling you out:
Take care XBOX don't put yourself in the corner too fast by acting too entitled to the gamer's vote.
We don't owe you shit, play fair and stay fair and stay humble and DELIVER content first and don't start acting like some kind of douche up front, seriously, don't do that.

Is this a copypasta? This reads just like "Square Enix just shot themselves in the foot" level nonsense.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Good it is great to see Microsoft finally investing in first party. The 360 was nice but was not sustainable with purchased games. Be great if they get blooper asbo and techoland.

iJnqWNB.gif

DavJay

Why should Microsoft talk about Nintendo? Its turning into their unoffical "Xbox Portable" with the Switch.

Why? They dont have to pay Game Pass fees now for another 6 developers.

just paid 7.5 billion. Way too much value at $15 and they need to recoup that 7 billion somehow. Might be an add on like showtime and hbo. $15 game pass with ea play and for an extra 7.99 Bethesda games

White-fire

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that Sony will also be spending billions to acquire studios themselves, and could put themselves in a position to finish this generation strong as well. Sony most likely has been in acquisition talks for a long time with certain companies. Business is a back and forth.

Huh? I'm talking about that user talking about Sony.
I didn't avoid Nintendo on purpose. I just am more aware of Sony's situation.

Could you enlighten me about Microsoft's supposed bad studio management? I don't recall any of the recent acquisitions doing poorly, most notably Mojang. I wasn't implying Sony was bad, simply arguing that buying/closing studios is normal course of business, and both Microsoft/Sony have done it.
OK, then we're on the same page.
I admit that I was a bit too harsh on the mismanagement, as in closure, of studios by Microsoft.
What is a hardware house?
Hardware manufacturers like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You call selling >150m consoles over 3 generations a failure
Some did that in ONE generation, so yeah 😐
As for the interview, yeah another company thought the same...and then Sony took their toys away.

Last edited:

White-fire

Nadella is boss. I’ll be enjoying the tears. Gotta thank Sony for money hating exclusives and waking the boss.

That's not how business works, nor is what Microsoft doing any better. (Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony all "money hat exclusives). In reality this whole acquisition is a "money hat".

Redlancet

Banned
just paid 7.5 billion. Way too much value at $15 and they need to recoup that 7 billion somehow. Might be an add on like showtime and hbo. $15 game pass with ea play and for an extra 7.99 Bethesda games
oh gamepass will have tiers,just wait xD

Eliciel

Coulda done without the cringe title, but idk why this would surprise anyone.

Don't be surprised if Sony has some announcements to make themselves regarding purchases.

We're in it now.

Is this a copypasta? This reads just like "Square Enix just shot themselves in the foot" level nonsense.

If you love a company like Ubisoft or Activision Blizzard by default, just because they will accumulate hundreds of talented people, billions of $ that's your decision. I will define it base on the final products I can play on any given console or platform. I don't care about the company I care about the content, I don't love the company I love the product.

Less talking, more delivering.
There is no entitlement here.

oh gamepass will have tiers,just wait xD
fully agree.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I say go for it. Game Pass is their niche. Feed the beast.

Yep, Xbox is Gamepass and Gamepass is Xbox now. Their consoles are just fixed-spec PCs, but they want you to be able to enjoy Xbox (Gamepass) anywhere.

Njocky

Banned
Well i guess this is the end of timed exclusive deals. Sony wont bother with those anymore as it would just make them look outgunned and minor league compared to their competitor. Save for a publisher/game studio or just focus on tour first parties.

Is it just me or Nadella is flexing the check book to terrorise Sony?

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
If you love a company like Ubisoft or Activision Blizzard by default, just because they will accumulate hundreds of talented people, billions of $ that's your decision. I will define it base on the final products I can play on any given console or platform. I don't care about the company I care about the content, I don't love the company I love the product.

Less talking, more delivering.
There is no entitlement here.

fully agree.

What are you talking about lmao

Last edited:

Alebrije

I guess that after some tries they realized that would be hard to be creative an generate good games so opened the wallet ( Microsoft style) and will began to get more studios.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm all for competition as Sony really needs someone to bitchslap them but I hope this won't result in a digital-only mediocre quality GP titles future. I hope MS lets them do what they would do anyway, just provide them the money, like Sony does for its own studios. Imagine a future where you can't decide which console has better exclusives as they one up each other constantly...
At this rate Sony will be behind and they don't really have the cash to catch up. Long term wise things could get bad for Sony and no one should be happy about that.

Topfuel

Naughty Dog is a studio, not a hardware house, dude.

....and Naughty Dog is an asset for Sony to make money and would be closed down if they stop producing successful games.

Camreezie

They bought a lot of studios in the last two years , surely this is them done. No way we see another one as big as Bethesda

Dthomp

This is great, as we learned in 2012 Microsoft is absolutely to be trusted with an inch of power in this market

Yup, this is my biggest worry any time M$ starts throwing money around. There is a big difference between wanting to better your product, and the other trying to be a monopoly like Disney. M$ is not the company I trust walking the fine line here. As a gamer I'm worried, because I don't believe for one second Microsoft cares about the gaming division, it's somewhere to throw money and see if they can make money.

DryvBy

They have a lot of money, that's for sure. But just remember for $500 million they paid for Halo Infinite, look how that ended up. Who would be excited about seeing their favorite franchises ran into the ground by MS?

DJT123

MS just bagged and tagged the American market yesterday so it's probably a Japanese or European dev. The Japanese would be more resistant to aquistions though, especially a huge dev.

Top Bottom