• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Xbox head Phil Spencer discuss further acquisitions

martino

Microsoft has a monopoly on gaming? First I’m hearing about this.

If anything this helps prevent Sony from taking a monopoly.
the thing is they have now 1/3 more studio and will continue to buy....
you don't want MS to be big too.

Yeah for sure. Smart acquisitions that can be built upon.
As I said, they don't have the money to walk in and buy out something that's already successful and popular, just to bolster their portfolio.

But those movements should be more than enough to understand that Sony would do the same if they had the same resources. Back in the PS2 gen I recall most of the well-known franchises were only available on PS2, heck I remember it took ages to get PES on XBOX, Sony locked down releasing many titles on XBOX or Gamecube, they've been proactively locking down exclusives since the original PS, it's the way they run their business to secure content while keeping profitable.

Kokoloko85

After the last 7 years I find it surprising actual video game fans want MS to own all the studios and have that much control over the games industry.....

Last edited:
Including portables.

Traditional console gaming market is split in these two segments. Microsoft chose to ignore portable/focus on living room, but that's a decision that IMHO should be factored in these comparisons.

Not sure I agree. Then you’d need to factor in Microsoft’s sales on PC and through phones (Minecraft) making the comparison much less straightforward.

But those movements should be more than enough to understand that Sony would do the same if they had the same resources. Back in the PS2 gen I recall most of the well-known franchises were only available on PS2, heck I remember it took ages to get PES on XBOX, Sony locked down releasing many titles on XBOX or Gamecube, they've been proactively locking down exclusives since the original PS, it's the way they run their business to secure content while keeping profitable.
Oh, of course they would if they could. These are businesses, not your friends.

Kokoloko85

Mountains of salt...

How many studios did sony build from the ground up as opposed to buying?

Can you really compare it?
Has Nintendo or Sony ever bought anyone as big as Bethesda and multiple studios?

Normally Sony works with A studio as 2nd party before buying them, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, e.g
When have either Nintendo or Sony gone out and buy a major studio they havent made exclusives before with?

When has anyone bought a company like Bethesda? Its the biggest purchase from a console maker ever, it hasnt been done before lol

Bkdk

So they are acknowledging that 343i is a disaster and will probably be closed down or at least being downsize very soon.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
At this rate Sony will be behind and they don't really have the cash to catch up. Long term wise things could get bad for Sony and no one should be happy about that.

It's been said a billion times. VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT A ZERO SUM GAME. There is room for EVERYONE to make money, be successful and still compete. It's why Sony, Nintendo, and MSFT are STILL doing it year after year. Some of you lunatics act like there is only enough money to go to the biggest/bestest console maker on the market when the reality is that Trillions of dollars are divided between so many different segments of the gaming market that again, EVERYONE can still make money.

I'm glad that MSFT is making these moves. MAYBE it'll make Sony more open to the idea of putting their games on PC day and date as console and to not be so dismissive of new ideas.

This generation MSFT started with their foot in their mouth, now they've opened up to Gamerpass, Cross-play, X-Cloud, PC market day 1, EA Pass and have gained a lot of traction in the public eye....They've grown and have reaped rewards for doing it. Sony has had to be begrudgingly dragged into some of those things MSFT has been doing and their lack of enthusiasm in grabbing those markets has bit them in the ass as they are now behind and have to catch up.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
j8bfhpazkro51.jpg

Kagey K

Banned
Can you really compare it?
Has Nintendo or Sony ever bought anyone as big as Bethesda and multiple studios?

Normally Sony works with A studio as 2nd party before buying them, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, e.g
When have either Nintendo or Sony gone out and buy a major studio they havent made exclusives before with?

When has anyone bought a company like Bethesda? Its the biggest purchase from a console maker ever, it hasnt been done before lol
Bethesda has done exclusives with MS. They have worked exclusively and as a 3rd party together for 3 full generations now going all the way back to Morrowind.

But let’s pretend there’s no history there.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sony Bros before Microsoft buys Zenimax: "Xbox has no games!"
Sony Bros after Microsoft buys Zenimax: "It's a monopoly!"
It tell all of what they are playing outside of exlusives and since they are couple of 20 hours SP games, then well you gotta jump back to Skyrim.

Megatron

I thought Insomniac was independent until recently...

You don't even know what you are talking about lol

Sarcasm, right?

Yeah, "create" a studio they like Sony, they say

thats-the-joke.jpg

Last edited:

sixamp

ok so lets be real here for a second. Lets say MS was in the market for another buyout, Which dev would bring the most to game pass?
Capcom is really the only company that would seem in reach to be a good pickup. Sega has alot of IPs but if you go through their franchises there arent many great ones

alot of people dont want MS to own alot of studios and yes this could be an issue for sony but who cares , that can buy some more. they've been buying studios here and there overtime its just that ms bought a big one. They have the money so now they"ve decided to invested it in their product. Sony goes out and pays companies for times exclusives, epic goes out and pays companies for exclusives , its part of the industry. We have multiple Corporations battling it out for your money, I dont nor will i EVER feel bad for MS or Sony if either one fails out of the Gaming industry or gets pushed out. I want a working product with plenty of games to play and if sony or MS can deliver that to me along with great services thats where i will be.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Including portables.

Traditional console gaming market is split in these two segments. Microsoft chose to ignore portable/focus on living room, but that's a decision that IMHO should be factored in these comparisons.

Well PC is a crucial place for gaming, so we really need to include those sales then as well.

So MS wins in a landslide, 800 million on windows 10 alone

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Give me those tears.

I said before, this recent acquisition set a precedent. It showed Microsoft as no longer playing nice and puts Sony in check about purchasing a bunch of 3rd party games. How in the actual hell Microsoft kept a major acquisition like Bethesda a secret up until the last minute is beyond me. Thats impressive in itself! But it also shows, no one knows what else they have in negotiations.

J____Av

I don't like this stratagy. Sure it hurts Sony some, but what do Xbox fans gain? They were going to get all these games anyway. This buy didn't get them the chance to play games they never could. Building smaller studios and growing them or building your own studio is the way to go because than you actually get games you never would have been able to play

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Not sure I agree. Then you’d need to factor in Microsoft’s sales on PC and through phones (Minecraft) making the comparison much less straightforward.

We're talking hardware sales. Microsoft doesn't own those pcs and phones the way they own xbox, and while it gets a cut of each pc sale courtesy of the windows license that's a different division.

Revenue wise, that'd be a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don't like this stratagy. Sure it hurts Sony some, but what do Xbox fans gain? They were going to get all these games anyway. This buy didn't get them the chance to play games they never could. Building smaller studios and growing them or building your own studio is the way to go because than you actually get games you never would have been able to play
Well it helps make sure Sony isn’t pulling shady shit like trying to buy timed exclusivity on stuff like Starfield as the rumor goes.

I’ve been thinking about it some more and I’d wager that MS is going to buy a high profile Japanese studio or even umbrella. Maybe not Sega but something even better. Pretty crazy times, I’m giddy right now to be honest.

J____Av

I’m loving this aggressive game they’re playing. They’ve apologised enough for the Xbox One and Sony needs a strong opponent. No matter how you feel about Bethesda and their games, that acquisition by Microsoft is insane.

Its insane, but what did it get Xbox fans? They are not getting any new games. They could have played all the games if MS bought them or not. MS added zero new games in this buy. They just took games away from a competitor. Its good for MS, but bad for gamers

J____Av

I’ve been thinking about it some more and I’d wager that MS is going to buy a high profile Japanese studio or even umbrella. Maybe not Sega but something even better. Pretty crazy times, I’m giddy right now to be honest.

Why? If you were a Xbox fan you would have gotten all these games anyway. If you are into console wars its good for Xbox fans. But if you are just an Xbox fan, nothing really changes

Its insane, but what did it get Xbox fans? They are not getting any new games. They could have played all the games if MS bought them or not. MS added zero new games in this buy. They just took games away from a competitor. Its good for MS, but bad for gamers

are you high? MS is now the investor, overseer and financial backer of 8 new studios? How does that equate to no new games in your mind?

Andodalf

Banned

Gamepass just got 8 more studios games day 1

sixamp

the thing is they have now 1/3 more studio and will continue to buy....
you don't want MS to be big too.
With all due respect this past Generation MS has been the company who have brought more consumer friendly plans to the industry and even more now . Sony fought to the bittter end not to allow cross play.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You call selling >150m consoles over 3 generations a failure?

What studios has Microsoft shut down recently? AFAIK, wasn't Sony the one who shut down Evolution Studios (DriveClub), also shut down Manchester Studios (PSVR AAA titles) recently this year, and a UK-based Guerrilla Games studios in 2017?

As for building studios/nurturing talent, both Microsoft and Sony have done this, but Sony Entertainment has grown into the juggernaut it became in the 2010s through savvy acquisitions (Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, etc.).
ND was bought out by Sony in 2001. 19 years at Sony.

Desudzer10

I'm able to own both consoles so it don't matter to me as much, but if Microsoft is going to be buying all these studios they need to let them be and let them do their thing. You can buy all the studios in the world and still have no exclusives worth getting if the top brass want to change things around. I know they said they would keep everything the same, but for how long?

Why? If you were a Xbox fan you would have gotten all these games anyway. If you are into console wars its good for Xbox fans. But if you are just an Xbox fan, nothing really changes
I’m not really a fan I just know that MS is committed to quality right now and they have the money to indulge so it seems promising. Of course it could all amount to a big disappointment but no one else other than Nintendo and some rare 3rd party titles here and there are interesting to me right now.

martino

With all due respect this past Generation MS has been the company who have brought more consumer friendly plans to the industry and even more now . Sony fought to the bittter end not to allow cross play.
because they need to.
it will change as soon as they lead. it's how this works sadly

J____Av

are you high? MS is now the investor, overseer and financial backer of 8 new studios? How does that equate to no new games in your mind?

Those studios were going to make the games with or without MS buying them. Those games would have been on Xbox with or without MS buying them. When the next ES or Doom game comes out, Xbox fans get to play it. If they didn't buy them, they still would have been able to play it

sixamp

Actually if the games do stay in house and only on pc/xbox then thats less dev time wasted on a ps5 version and more on those 2 so xbox /pc gamers would be getting a better product

Skifi28

I say buy everything and be done with it. Just announce it gently in order not to kill any fanboys in the process (either from excitement or grief).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Those studios were going to make the games with or without MS buying them. Those games would have been on Xbox with or without MS buying them. When the next ES or Doom game comes out, Xbox fans get to play it. If they didn't buy them, they still would have been able to play it

well that’s what you believe but I personally think that MS didn’t spend 7.5 billion on one publisher and acquire an arsenal of studios only to have them do the same old stuff they were.

J____Av

I’m not really a fan I just know that MS is committed to quality right now

Based on what? I would have just as much faith in Bethesda without MS buying them as I do with them buying them. More maybe, given MS history with studios they bought. I have no idea why anyone would be excited about this unless they just really hate Sony/Nintendo lol. Xbox players are not getting games they didn't have before

J____Av

Actually if the games do stay in house and only on pc/xbox then thats less dev time wasted on a ps5 version and more on those 2 so xbox /pc gamers would be getting a better product
I guess thats something lol. But is that really enough reason to be giddy? They might get a slightly better product on a game they would have gotten anyway. 7.5 billion could build them a lot of new studios or grow some small ones into AAA. If i was a big Xbox fan I would rather they do that so I got games made I never could have played

J____Av

well that’s what you believe but I personally think that MS didn’t spend 7.5 billion on one publisher and acquire an arsenal of studios only to have them do the same old stuff they were.

Didn't they already pretty much say they were going to let them keep doing their thing? The studios did pretty good too, so it would be smart to keep letting them do their thing

Based on what? I would have just as much faith in Bethesda without MS buying them as I do with them buying them. More maybe, given MS history with studios they bought. I have no idea why anyone would be excited about this unless they just really hate Sony/Nintendo lol. Xbox players are not getting games they didn't have before
Based on recent output. Flight Simulator is no joke, it is the only title so far that has moved the needle forward. What Microsoft has done in the past is irrelevant, there are different people running the company now, they even are a huge open source contributor for fucks sake. I just don’t subscribe to these irrational “Microsoft is the devil” polemics.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Look at it other way around. If Sony bought these, there world be a high chance of those games not going to steam

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Bethesda has done exclusives with MS. They have worked exclusively and as a 3rd party together for 3 full generations now going all the way back to Morrowind.

But let’s pretend there’s no history there.
That's being a bit disingenuous at best. Morrowind on the Xbox was on their because the Xbox hardware was the ONLY hardware that could run Morrowind. Gamecube and PS2 simply couldn't run it. It wasn't that Xbox went out and payed for that "privilege" Even still, that helped Bethesda Games Studios as much if not MORE than it helped MSFT. Xbox saved that studio which allowed them to go on and make some of the best selling games of ALL TIME across multiple platforms and not just Xbox. No BGS has ever been bought as an exclusive to a MSFT system, plain as that. If other systems can't run it, then they won't be on their. Maybe ports of their games run better on MSFT hardware, but that has more to do with poor design decisions from Sony and Nintendo than anything else.

Look at it other way around. If Sony bought these, there world be a high chance of those games not going to steam

This is exactly right. Which is why MSFT has my FULL support. Sony doesn't want to share their toys? Ok...See how well that works out for them. I say that too as someone who literally owns all the consoles going back to PS1.

Last edited:

DavJay

EA total asset is around 8 billion. Surely they are next? Didn’t in my wildest imagination though Bethesda was a possibility but yet here we are. Not just Bethesda but the parent company, holy crap.

J____Av

Based on recent output. Flight Simulator is no joke, it is the only title so far that has moved the needle forward. What Microsoft has done in the past is irrelevant, there are different people running the company now, they even are a huge open source contributor for fucks sake. I just don’t subscribe to these irrational “Microsoft is the devil” polemics.

I never said they were the devil. Its just strange to be pumped up about games your already were getting. If Sony counters and buys freaking Take Two, I would be annoyed too as I already was getting take two games. The move doesn't seem to be done to get more great games on Xbox. It seems to have been done to take games away from their competitors. Its great for MS getting back in the race (which is a good thing, so there is that), its bad for gamers

Top Bottom