• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft clarifies: FIFA 14 only free for pre-orders in "Tier 1" countries

Didn't we know about all of this already?
The only new info this brings is that Tier 1 countries outside of the US might be getting FIFA too.

Anhkow

man. so tier 2 europeans, how do you feel?

iQKudU8xAEAbW.gif

GetemMa

You can get a PS4 and a copy of FIFA 14 and still have more money left in your pocket than if you preordered xbone and got it for free.

fallagin

This promotion is a bit weird. They seem to be targeting people who already preordered? So its not a promotion to increase their preorders but just to keep people from cancelling then.. That is an interesting move.

Fredrik

This promotion is a bit weird. They seem to be targeting people who already preordered? So its not a promotion to increase their preorders but just to keep people from cancelling then.. That is an interesting move.
Yup. And this will only make people in tier 2 countries like myself even less likely to place a preorder right now. Because why would I? I don't know for sure when it launches. (One store said June 30-2014 :S) And I get no compensation at all for the delay.
To me it feels like it's better to wait for new deals and price war at the local electronics supermarkets. Plus, I'll have plenty of AAA 2013-2014 games to play on PS4 and WiiU by then so what's the hurry with X1 really? MS missed the bus as far as I'm concerned.

Finalizer

Can't read that, but if it's referring to what the OP is talking about, then those two free games are only for those who ordered before Aug. 20th. Hence, the notion that it's an effort to keep people from cancelling pre-orders, not to actually get more people to order.

Fuck's sake, that you need a damned flowgraph to tell what you get with your console says plenty about the mess of MS PR. This really needed to be a straightforward thing to get people on board; now it just inspires suspicion by those who aren't totally tuned in.

The only reason of people need flowgraph of this is because they never spend just 10 seconds to understand it

"Mess MS PR"?this time,more like "let find something to blame"

Finalizer

"Mess MS PR"?this time,more like "let find something to blame"

No, this is PR stupidity, plain and simple. The Fifa 14 was largely viewed as an apologetic move in return for the preorder delays when it was announced, and that idea has already propagated through the 'net. The last thing it needed was to turn into something with a giant asterisk and fine print. You shouldn't have to explain the terms and conditions of an apology.

Or hell, it should've been explained as clearly and plainly as possible from the start. If you want to blame it on the wrong message being spread, then all the more reason MS should've had a livestreamed press conference so the real message could get out directly to fans.

demolitio

And I thought Tier 1 was the new buzz word in the industry when referring to military games, not fucking console launches.

I'm not really sure what the FIFA 14 is for then besides trying to keep people that already preordered from jumping ship? Seems like a weird move to say the least.

Syf

Banned
What a disaster this whole Xbox One deal has been for Microsoft so far lol. Hell, not even just the gaming division. Surface, Windows 8, Xbox One.. no surprise Ballmer is on his way out. I know I won't even entertain the thought of buying the Xbox. Way too much uncertainty with that company right now.

jond76

Banned
What a disaster this whole Xbox One deal has been for Microsoft so far lol. Hell, not even just the gaming division. Surface, Windows 8, Xbox One.. no surprise Ballmer is on his way out. I know I won't even entertain the thought of buying the Xbox. Way too much uncertainty with that company right now.

It's only a disaster for a fraction of people on forums like this. I suspect it'll do fine once it's out in the wild.

Good for people in tier 1 countries who ordered before August 20th, while stock lasts, I guess.

Microsoft's continued insistence on demonstrating how little they care about tier 2 countries makes me wonder if we'll be getting delays on price drops as well, or what else we've got to look forward to.

Cipherr

Unfortunate, but ehh... I'm not sure much outrage will arise from something that was being given away free, that also hadn't actually been given out yet.

.Anema

After all this time I still can't understand why people want to buy an xbox one... I tried but I can't. WTF Microsotf... Whatever.

Minions

Forgive me if I missed it. Has this been confirmed for the US? They have been saying Europe all along so... I'd have expected the preorder pages to list it by now. (in the USA)

DSN2K

this tier 1, 2 shit is outrageous...I don't even need any more reasons not to pick up an Xbox One but MS just keeps on giving.

Ardenyal

A lot of people only follow the mainstream media and these kind of small print announcements after the fact is not going to reach those people. These people probably think they're getting three games for free, launch day might have a lot of "lol xboned" going on when people pick up their consoles.

Coxy

hope it isnt DR3, Ryse or pretty much any of the launch titles, those will have been out for ages and worth shit all by the time tier 2 countries get it

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Unless the XBO is also going to pack in a faster graphics processor and faster RAM, it's not as simple as you're making it to reach parity.

You never miss a XB1 thread do you saying the same thing time and time again.

Is that how the world works, the iPhone should be £100 cheaper than the S4 cause it's specs are poorer cause specs are the only thing that matter?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

no, they are targetting people that they want to preorder. That the offer is also applicable to those that already have a preorder is just collateral damage for MS and good for those that have preordered.

EGM1966

Interesting. This was likely a deal planned a lot earlier then - intended to help the Xbone launch strong in core European countries and give it a better chance vs PS4. No doubt originally MS saw this as an aggressive - however post XBone reveal it's turned into a defensive one.

Also, what a way to let Tier 2 territories know where they stand - why would you even want to support MS if you're not in one of the 13 launch territories?

TBH if I was MS I would have eaten the additional cost and tried to get this to all European territories launching in Europe.

The whole "while stocks last" angle also has me wondering just how big the purchases stock level by MS really is.

Jotaka

So the free FIFA game only work in few countries in Europe.

Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom... Just 7 countries... That is a small Europe

My mind still can't comprehend what Microsoft's business strategy is with the FIFA 14 pre-order bonus. Seriously, my head is hurting trying to figure it out, and I genuinely want to understand. Ok, ok. From what I can gather, FIFA14 is a) for people who pre-ordered before the announcement at Gamescom, and b) only available for Europeans who are in "Tier 1" countries. So first of, let's point out that Microsoft are spending millions of dollars on people who pre-ordered regardless of all the shit and mayhem that went down with Microsoft's PR and marketing. Then, when the 180's were coming left and right people were given the chance to actually consider the Xbox One as a viable console, so fans could freely start pre-ordering it for the games. So at this point these are the people Microsoft have already won over, they don't need anymore convincing to buy the console because they've already placed down their pre-order. So instead of this deal helping to boost sale numbers it's for what, keeping them from cancelling? Goodwill? What do they stand to achieve?

I don't want to harp on it too much because it is still a nice gesture, but again unless I'm misinterpreting something here, there is no significant gain to be had. And by limiting it from the Tier 2 customers MS are only causing more tension. Shit, if anything the folks who were getting FIFA14 on the Xbox One can now freely cancel the pre-order for that game because they're receiving it anyway. They're inadvertently losing sales for EA. All I can say is Microsoft really have to knock it out of the park with whatever pre-order game/s they give to the US or Tier 2, because unless I am missing something here MS are hapazardly throwing cash around with no reasonable return of investment.

ciridesu

My mind still can't comprehend what Microsoft's business strategy is with the FIFA 14 pre-order bonus. Seriously, my head is hurting trying to figure it out, and I genuinely want to understand. Ok, ok. From what I can gather, FIFA14 is a) for people who pre-ordered before the announcement at Gamescom, and b) only available for Europeans who are in "Tier 1" countries. So first of, let's point out that Microsoft are spending millions of dollars on people who pre-ordered regardless of all the shit and mayhem that went down with Microsoft's PR and marketing. Then, when the 180's were coming left and right people were given the chance to actually consider the Xbox One as a viable console, so fans could freely start pre-ordering it for the games. So at this point these are the people Microsoft have already won over, they don't need anymore convincing to buy the console because they've already placed down their pre-order. So instead of this deal helping to boost sale numbers it's for what, keeping them from cancelling? Goodwill? What do they stand to achieve?

I don't want to harp on it too much because it is still a nice gesture, but again unless I'm misinterpreting something here, there is no significant gain to be had. And by limiting it from the Tier 2 customers MS are only causing more tension. Shit, if anything the folks who were getting FIFA14 on the Xbox One can now freely cancel the pre-order for that game because they're receiving it anyway. They're inadvertently losing sales for EA. All I can say is Microsoft really have to knock it out of the park with whatever pre-order game/s they give to the US or Tier 2, because unless I am missing something here MS are hapazardly throwing cash around with no reasonable return of investment.

You're reading too much into it. Unlike you assumed in your post, it is indeed to just boost their sales, as they are not on pace to hit their goals and have too much spare in their European quota. Moreover, this deal costs them a lot, hence why the excessive limitations, on who is eligible for the deal.

You're reading too much into it. Unlike you assumed in your post, it is indeed to just boost their sales, as they are not on pace to hit their goals and have too much spare in their European quota. Moreover, this deal costs them a lot, hence why the excessive limitations, on who is eligible for the deal.

But if it is to boost their pre-order numbers, then they're doing it by outright tricking customers because the offer is only available to the people who pre-ordered before the 20th of August. If that gets picked up on it'll provide more ammo to fire at Microsoft and cause more customer disatisfaction. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I was on the fence, was told "Hey, the Xbox One now comes with a free game!", decided to put the money down and then told days later "Sorry, offers only for people who ordered before the announcement." Again, why are they spending any money on something that truthfully doesn't need to be spent on, and by doing so causing potential aggro?

Top Bottom