• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft clarifies: FIFA 14 only free for pre-orders in "Tier 1" countries

Madness

Well no duh, why would they give FIFA 14 well into 2014... It's just a way to get more pre-orders in Europe where they were probably losing ground to PS4.

I'm pretty sure they only care about the Tier 1 countries anyway. Those are the countries that will influence the rest of Europe and basically win it or lose it for them.

And the outrage at not being given a free game is hilarious. When else have you ever gotten a third party $60 dollar game for free as an incentive to pre-order and buy a launch system? Especially one of the most popular games that most people would have bought either way? Microsoft is saving you folks $60. There's no need for fanboyism. Acknowledge it's a great deal.

I live in Canada, I'm not getting any special deal either. But I'd love if I got NHL 14 for free, and I bet a ton of Americans would love Madden 25 for free with their Xbox One.

why must everything be so confusing about XBox One and MS PR?

They just should have added Forza5 with every console, Racing games are popular in any country.

Honestly I think it's because they're basically making up shit as they go along.
Lots of these decisions are in response to Sony and to their own struggling pre-order numbers. I imagine nothing is set in stone.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
So basically if I'm tempted to buy an Xbox One now that they've made all the changes, I don't get anything? Why?

Grecco

Will wait to see what MS officially says.

Based on this though, all tier 1 countries will be getting FIFA for free? Seems like Madden for US would be a smarter move.

Yeah, this needs more clarification.

Isnt Fifa outselling Madden in the US now anyways? Id love it if USA got a free game to go with the day one bundle. Make that 500 price point more palateable.

PJV3

The US is getting FIFA because EA call it the world sport, so suck on it.
Yeah you should get something else to be honest.

So Tier 2 for consoles is Tier 0 for free FIFA? Shouldn't it be the other way round as an incentive since Tier 1 countries are more "safe" and aren't getting screwed as much? Not to mention FIFA is popular in the Tier 2 EU countries anyway....

Game Of Tiers.

Alx

As for the August 20th cutoff date...Wut?

That's when they announced the delay for several European countries. All the people who preordered before that date expected to get their console in November, so they get compensated for the delay.
All people preordering after the announcement know it's for a March release.

It's almost like Microsoft is competing with itself.

5896968030_2e8a7ae431.jpg

After GamesCom I don't really care anymore. Xbone is a non-entity for me now (I live in a filthy Tier 2 peasant country). Seems their interesting exclusive stuff is all timed exclusives as well. Sony blew me away with the variety AND they still have TGS incoming as well as unannounced stuff from some of their biggest hitters. Unless Xbone launches before PS4(and I'm not talking a couple of days) in the US I don't see how they'll succede unless Kinect 2 blows up.

kmax

If that's how they're going to play, I sincerely hope that they keep their expectations low for tier 2 countries.

So Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia, Netherlands and Finland - all countries where FIFA is insanely popular - won't get it.

Microsoft's PR handling this year is mind blowing!

So everyone misunderstood the proposal and now it is MS who is wrong?

They said that anyone who was in the original group for Xbox One release but had it pushed back to 2014 would get one of two games free. They then said that anyone in Europe who is still reeving the console in 2013 will receive FIFA for free.

It's been that way since the beginning. Why would anyone want a 6 month old sports game as their free game?

Madness

I feel bad for tier 2, where's Bono when you need him, we should have a concert.

Aside from Russia, the combined populations of those Tier 2 countries is like 62-ish million. Not exactly small, but the UK by itself has as large a population, and Germany easily has 20 million+ more etc.

It's simple business. In the grand scheme of things, they're actually going to get most of the Western European populace by limiting themselves to France, Italy, Germany, UK, Spain, Ireland, Austria etc. Though I'd probably say the Netherlands, possibly Sweden are the two countries that really should be Tier 1.

Mael

If I had preordered one for where I live I would probably remomve my preorder right about now.
I don't understand WTF they're even offering now!

Microsoft being a joke as usual, what's new? This company has no vision anymore as far as I can tell and is a textbook example of shitty PR. It's astounding how well they're advertising the competitor's system tbh.

keit4

Banned
If the console is coming out in March in the tier 2 countries is a bit silly to give them FIFA 14. MS already said that they will give another game to the non tier 1 countries.

Alx

I still don't understand how people can get confused about the situation, it may suck for some people but it's not that hard to understand, it's already explained in gamechanger's post :

- if you're in "tier 2" countries and preordered before the delay went official (August 20th), you get either Kinect Rivals or Forza 5 for free, when the console releases in March.
- if you're in European "tier 1" countries and preorder before the November launch, you get Fifa for free.
- for everybody else, nothing that we know of.

Deepo

It's like Microsoft is trying to shoot themselves in the foot, but they keep missing, and the bullets ricochets into their collective face instead.

Hesemonni

Banned
I still don't understand how people can get confused about the situation, it may suck for some people but it's not that hard to understand, it's already explained in gamechanger's post :

- if you're in "tier 2" countries and preordered before the delay went official (August 20th), you get either Kinect Rivals or Forza 5 for free, when the console releases in March.
- if you're in European "tier 1" countries and preorder before the November launch, you get Fifa for free.
- for everybody else, nothing that we know of.
It's not hard to understand, but the way they're relaying the information in small bits really speaks something about what's going on with Games division at the moment.

But, why?

I mean, thought for sure this was going to be s first run pre-order deal for Europe only, but why wouldn't you give it to the countries you're delaying in? MS steps on their toes, apologizes and tries to make up for it, and then proceeds to step on their toes again. Makes no sense.

watership

It's amazing that a misuse of a word in a interview in Japan months ago has led to this whole "tier 1/tier 2/your country sucks and Microsoft hates you" shit.

Top Bottom