• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Crackdown sneak peak at reveal event "wasn't accidental"

Dat next-gen Crackdown confirmed.

“Oh… Crackdown is one of my favorite games, and not just because it’s a Microsoft first-party game,” he told IGN. “I have a lot of love for that franchise. The homage to Crackdown in the [May 21 event] reveal screenshots was… I know there was some, like, ‘Did we accidentally sneak that…?’ It wasn’t accidental. Definitely.”

When pressed if the nod was just an Easter egg, Spencer did nothing to extinguish fan hope that the series may return on Xbox One. “No, I don’t think Crackdown is dead at all,” he said. “It’s a franchise that’s still close to me. I think there’s a lot of room, especially… For me, the natural progression for a game like Crackdown – and you see this showing up on our stage – is in these living, open worlds that live in the cloud.”

IGN

MrDaravon

I was maybe, kinda excited until that last line :(

I already think Crackdown 3 will be at gamescom.

That would be a good pull for them. Crackdown 2 was not a very good game, but I think there's still enough fondness in general for the first game that they haven't completely burned those bridges and people in general would give a new game a shot.

The team that made crackdown is no more. Crackdown 2 from a new team was awful. Given those two facts it's hard to get excited about a crackdown 3.

Miles X

I dunno, they're being very open about it rather than 'no comment' and if they wanted it as a surprise I don't think they'd be alluding to it so much.

My bet is they're actively looking to start dev work on it now.

The team that made crackdown is no more. Crackdown 2 from a new team was awful. Given those two facts it's hard to get excited about a crackdown 3.

Ruffian had like 9 months to get Crackdown 2 out of the door, given that I think they did an exceptional job.

Maddog

these living, open worlds that live in the cloud.

qmzePlW.jpg

graywolf323

Gold Member
Phil Spencer wore a Crackdown shirt on Fallon didn't he?, pretty much figured this was unofficially confirmed for a while now

that or Microsoft really loathed Crackdown fans :p

MrDaravon

From virtually all accounts wasn't the reason that Crackdown 2 kinda shit was that supposedly the team was only given like 9 months to put it together or something ridiculous? Would explain a lot, especially since the game is pretty much the same mission over and over. Given that there's apparently a good chunk of people who made the first game that worked on the second, in theory at least those people being given the time and money to make a new one could potentially be worthwhile.

Could potentially be good. I loved Crackdown 1, played the demo for 2 and it was okay (fuck the Freaks, terrible idea). Never played the full game though.

How is Crackdown 2 overall? Good? Bad? Meh?

Stitch

Gold Member
Mhh Double Helix is working on KI3 so who could be working on Crackdown 3? High Voltage Software?

TriGen

That's already been revealed it's Kinect Sports Rivals.

That's a different game I believe. Rare usually does two games at once -- so it makes sense for them to have Kinect Sports at launch, but they should have a 2014 game as well. I haven't seen any connection between the two, unless they confirmed that they were the same.

Could potentially be good. I loved Crackdown 1, played the demo for 2 and it was okay (fuck the Freaks, terrible idea). Never played the full game though.

How is Crackdown 2 overall? Good? Bad? Meh?

It's in the 'meh' category. I wouldn't say it was bad. Just not as good as the original was. For example they took the morphing vehicles out (supposedly they just didn't have time -- pretty likely since they supposedly created it in 9 months). Hopefully those are back for the 3rd.

That's a different game I believe. Rare usually does two games at once -- so it makes sense for them to have Kinect Sports at launch, but they should have a 2014 game as well. I haven't seen any connection between the two, unless they confirmed that they were the same.

Just watch the Kinect Sports trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDX1Jqnfww

Look at the box art. Then look at that image from the dash. It clearly looks like Kinect Sports Rivals to me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Cool. Already getting an Xbox One at launch along side my PS4. It's nice to see something besides Forza and Halo to help justify my purchase.

Crackdown was amazing.

Crackdown 2 demo sold me on not buying the game. Horrible.

Miles X

Hope not, whatever that knight thing is from it doesn't look like the kinda game anyone wants Rare to be working on.

Their constant mentioning of The Cloud makes me think that Microsoft is going to use "cloud support" as their way of making their games require an internet connection without requiring one.

"We said OUR SYSTEM doesn't require an internet connection to function. But [Crackdown 3/Halo 5/Fable 4/etc] requires a stable internet connection in order to take advantage of all the innovative features of the Cloud, and thus cannot be played offline."

Regarding Crackdown...I really liked the original game. A lot. Sequel was a huge disappointment, but the original game was still great and it's a damn shame that Realtime Worlds was one of the casualties of the Copy WoW Craze. It's all a moot point since I won't ever be buying an Xbone, but I guess I hope CD3 ends up not being shit for the sake of the series' fans.

woolley

How would you even put a video clip of a game into something like that on accident.

Also wasn't the guy on Jimmy Fallon wearing crackdown shirt? I think it's obvious they have something in the works.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Tell me it'd be better than Crackdown 2. I have nothing but love for Crackdown 1 but Crackdown 2 was terrible and dat ending.

The Rare game IS Kinect Sports Rivals, and its aesthetics fit in perfectly with what the athletes look like in the trailer. There was no "knight".

BUT, you would have to be a fool to believe that is the only thing Rare is working on.

As for Crackdown, it is the perfect game to do have an online/connected experience with other players being able to jump into your city and do missions along with you. Crackdown mixed with Destiny mixed with Test Drive.

famousmortimer tends to know so much about the Playstation devs but doesn't know that Ruffian was housed of ex RTW empoyees and made the sequel in 9 months. Crackdown 3 should be amazing.
why do they always have to mention the cloud!? it makes me MAD, stop the bullshit for once! Jeez.
Just because you're ignorant of what they're talking about doesn't mean you have to throw a tantrum. It seems the entire Internet has been hit by the stupid stick relating to everything Xbox. If you can't see the potential of a game like Crackdown being connected online with ever changing city, dynamic missions, other players jumping into your city and 16-32-6 player co-op then you don't know what Crackdown is.

I have said it before man, but I am going to stop reading Microsoft responses if they keep saying this "WITH THE POWER OF THE CLOUD", or "IN THE CLOUD" shit. It is really infuriating. Does every single fucking paragraph that comes from a Microsoft personnel have to have "the cloud" in it?

TriGen

Just watch the Kinect Sports trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDX1Jqnfww

Look at the box art. Then look at that image from the dash. It clearly looks like Kinect Sports Rivals to me.

The games are tennis, bowling, soccer, jet ski racing, target shooting and climbing. If they had confirmed something like jousting or fencing in the game I would of assumed they were the same right away. Maybe they have hidden events? Like I said they very well could be from the same game, I just was thrown by the whole english soldier/knight thing. If they had put a dude in one of those Kinect Sports onsies in that intial image I wouldn't have doubted it.

As far as other games, I do think a Crackdown will get announced, as well as a new Fable.

Proelite

Their constant mentioning of The Cloud makes me think that Microsoft is going to use "cloud support" as their way of making their games require an internet connection without requiring one.

"We said OUR SYSTEM doesn't require an internet connection to function. But [Crackdown 3/Halo 5/Fable 4/etc] requires a stable internet connection in order to take advantage of all the innovative features of the Cloud, and thus cannot be played offline."

Regarding Crackdown...I really liked the original game. A lot. Sequel was a huge disappointment, but the original game was still great and it's a damn shame that Realtime Worlds was one of the casualties of the Copy WoW Craze. It's all a moot point since I won't ever be buying an Xbone, but I guess I hope CD3 ends up not being shit for the sake of the series' fans.

Yep. In addition, I don't think Forza 5 can be played offline either because of driveavatar.

Karak

I expect borders around the entire screen.

It's in the 'meh' category. I wouldn't say it was bad. Just not as good as the original was.
Well we also know that Crackdown 2 was NOT a normal development for a game. Not giving it an excuse. I disliked it.

I am excited for the chance but with this kind of stuff I am always prepped for disaster.

Top Bottom