• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Ending Xbox 360 Production

c0de

The early launch of the 360 really did a number on most of the American games press who spent the whole generation convinced that MS was running away in the sales race, when the reality was the PS3 outsold the 360 every year they were both available.

Considering how close they are right now after all these years, I don't know if that is still true and without data from every year this is just what has been repeated many times in forums but was never proven with facts. Also in the end of last gen, which is now, if there is only that small difference, how many more units did they really sell more?
Fact is that in US, 360 outsold ps3 by a huge margin and it even sold very good in Europe.

The early launch of the 360 really did a number on most of the American games press who spent the whole generation convinced that MS was running away in the sales race, when the reality was the PS3 outsold the 360 every year they were both available.

Except 2 years.

Considering how close they are right now after all these years, I don't know if that is still true and without data from every year this is just what has been repeated many times in forums but was never proven with facts. Also in the end of last gen, which is now, if there is only that small difference, how many more units did they really sell more?
Fact is that in US, 360 outsold ps3 by a huge margin and it even sold very good in Europe.

And if it is true that makes the PS3 look worse because that would mean that the only won because of like 1.5 million sales in japan extra.

Personally I don't believe numbers until it comes from the company. MS will likely announce the numbers at 3 by then there should be only a very small percentage of "new" inventory consoles left. SOny will likely follow right after since they've done that multiple times, outside the 84 million announced in I believe it was 2014.

The American games press was likely focused on the American market and not really caring about WW sales. In the US the 360 was running away with it by LOL worthy margins and that's really all that mattered.

This is pretty typical for US media across the board, not really exclusive to games journalism

...and your reason for saying so in a thread where people are reminiscing and celebrating the great ten years the 360 had is...?

EDIT: It read a bit like subtle console warrior nonsense, apologies if I misread.

yyr

PS Now connects to the same PS3-PSN infrastructure.

I wonder what the demand for PS Now is. Have they ever published any usage data or announced any numbers? I wonder how it compares to the number of folks using X1's 360 BC.

Because you can still have access to content you purchased but not necessarily available for sale. Sony would get a huge backlash and a possible lawsuit if they shut everything down completely for PSN PS3 users.

Unfortunately, there is precedent for this already, from both MS and Sony.

When Microsoft shut down Xbox Live for Xbox OG, all access to previously purchased content was lost. Granted, the size of that market was tiny compared to 360 or PS3, and they announced it well in advance, so there was little to no backlash. Also, with a softmod it's actually still possible to get the DLC, but I digress.

Last year, Sony shut down PlayStation Mobile. It all happened very quickly. In March, the announcement was made; at the end of May, game submissions were no longer accepted; on July 15th, game sales were ended; and on September 10th, just 6 months after the announcement, all access to PSM content was cut off. From that date, the Download List and ability to re-download purchased games were no longer available. Heck, you even had to follow a brief activation process to be able to continue playing PSM games; if you haven't done it by now, it is no longer possible. And because it's no longer possible to activate devices for PSM, you can't move the games to a different Vita; they won't play.

Once again, not a huge impact considering the fact that PSM didn't make the kind of waves that they wanted. But it does make me wonder how they will handle these kind of shutdowns in the future.

I had a OG 60 PS3 first and then I got the 360 with the slim redesign because of the RROD that was an inherent flaw in the early models. I got a nice backlog with my 360 to keep me busy for a good while.

End of an era and a legendary one.

Bye, 360.
If you weren't so annoyingly loud I would atill play you regularly.

The 360 was my surprise hit console last gen. The games looked so good, it actually had TWO Rare launch titles (of which Kameo was pretty good and Perfect Dark Zero was pretty bad, aside from the Multiplayer) and it was at an actually affordable price.
It also had the luck of the PS3 being a total mess in its first few years, thanks to a super arrogant Sony.

RROD was a big problem of it, though. My console RROD'd during the intro sequence of the first Naruto game by Ubisoft (which was really good). Which sucked, because obviously I had just bought the game and now I couldn't play it for two or three weeks.
In turn, the 360's RROD was the best thing to happen to Nintendo and Sony. I'm pretty sure that stupid defect directly transferred to more Wii and PS3 sales during its prime.

Then there was Rock Band. I played so much Rock Band it's not even funny. 5-star'd almost all the songs on Expert Drums, until my kick pedal broke. Twice. Then I reinforced it with a metal plate and then it broke at the hinges. Luckily I have the Ion Drum Rocker now, so that won't be a problem anytime soon.

Then came the rennesaince of fighting games (and arcade games in general). Street Fighter 4 was announced and shown and everybody flipped out. Then Capcom did a Capcom and sold us full-priced updates. Then they almost killed the market they resurrected.

And then the generation went on for two years longer than it should have imo.

That's only a short snippet of what my experience was with my 360 during its generation.
Many fun times were had. My 360 library is the biggest game library I own. That says something when I'm actually so much more of a Nintendo guy.

Goodbye Xbox 3, you will be missed.

Aeana

I've been meaning to buy another console for posterity's sake. I'm sure my current 360 will RROD sometime down the line and it's looking like BC on Xbox One isn't the dream it was cracked up to be. I'll grab a 360 E + a cheap hard drive before they all disappear.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
3JKQK64.png

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My 360 survives in the lounge only to power Mass Effect Trilogy runs.....once the whole series is BC it's time to retire the old mare, she had an excellent run.

Picked up a 4GB E model today at TRU. Luckily I found an old $50 TRU gift card to boot. Looking forward to downloading some XBLA titles that haven't been added to XBO BC. Stuff like Radiant Silvergun & Megaman 9.

Aumann

So Sony is ending 360 production and also slowly ending Xbox Live maintenance by increasingly lowering its reliability. Sony exiting the games market confirmed.

FyreWulff

Wait, the Xbox 360 E doesn't have component and VGA out? Screw that, not buying a spare 360 if it doesn't work with a CRT.

nope. the 360 AV port was removed and replaced with a headphone jack port (i'm not even kidding) and comes with a cable with a headphone jack on one end and a RWY RCA jacks on the other.

41Sst%2BGeo6L._SX425_.jpg

If you want VGA you either have to get some sort of HDMI to VGA splitter/adapter or get the Slim right before the E.

This feels a bit...premature.

But, what a truly awesome console. I have so many good memories with friends and family sharing experiences on the 360. But, perhaps the most important one for me right now was when my dad spent hours with me looking for one on launch night...and we somehow managed to score two 20GB "Pro" units without a pre-order. Both work perfectly to this day (we somehow never experienced any RROD troubles with any of the (5) 360s our family owns).

It's certainly the end of an amazing era. I'm not quite sure how to feel about this since these sorts of events mark the passing of time and remind us all how much older we've grown (has it really been almost 11 years?)

A tip of the hat to J Allard and his crew who simply nailed it and created what is, in my honest opinion, the best console of all time. Rest easy old friend, you've earned it.

I'm remembering when I tried to get a VGA cable at launch and it was such a popular item it would always sell out asap for months. Back then I loved playing my imported dead or alive 4 in VGA mode, since the UK had a 6+ week wait for the game it was my first self imported videogame

Have you seen what people can do with Kinect on PC?
Just because it wasn't adopted on Xbox doesn't mean it wasn't a good innovation.

Sadly, some people's knowledge of technology and innovation stops at video games.

Failing to see the big picture is an epidemic.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Anyone else buying one to grandfather?
I'm trying to find a new/sealed Slim since it's the best console design of all time and the E looks terrible. Seeing some for $100-$160, maybe I'll wait until E3 to decide. It depends what titles they announce for BC and if there's both a new PS4 and Xbox announced, I'll save for those instead.

I've been looking to get a new model of a PS3 and can find very little stock at absurd prices. Has Sony said anything officially?

I was hoping for a super slim model for 100 euros, like they did with the PS2. They seem to be shafting the consumer by keeping the price high and not giving backwards compatibility.

TLDR: Has Sony ended the supply of PS3 to Europe?

Me too. Might be the nostalgia talking, but subsequent updates never managed to be better than the blades. Great interface.

Yes, but all of the dashboards fail to manage the eventual high number of content they had to display. I can't jump A-Z instead I have to scroll through all my games. Pins help, but there is a limit to the amount of pins I'm allowed.

Top Bottom