• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Ending Xbox 360 Production

Schryver

Loved my near-launch console before RROD killed it. Gears of War and Halo 3 took up a lot of my gaming time while I had it. Good stuff

Despite some really horrible decisions Microsoft made with the design and rushed launch, the 360 ended up being a terrific system with a lot of great ideas and terrific third-party support. Lots of great memories.

Courage

The Summer of Arcade games in 2008 and 2009 were insane.

2008: BC: Rearmed, Braid, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars 2

2009: MvC2, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, Trials HD

whew

cakely

"We have a product for people who can't get online it's called the ... wait. Oh, sorry. We don't have that anymore. My bad."

Hopefully my current 360 (#5!) lasts a good long while. I have not been impressed with the performance of the Xbox One BC so far.

Krakn3Dfx

Seems like a $99 console is a no go this time. Such a shame, I'd love to get one again to play those jRPG's it has over. Was the PS2 the last time a console got that low in price?

I think the Wii had a $99 version on its way out? That's my memory at least.

univbee

I still seriously cannot believe neither the 360 or PS3 ever hit $99. I guess they really honestly couldn't get the component costs down that low?

We've got two 360s in the house (one's a slim, one is an older but post RRoD era one) so I feel okay with the backup there, but we only have one PS3 and it's a near launch one. Was hoping these consoles would drop to $99 so I could pick one up as a backup but guess that's not gonna happen :/

I think they just cost too damn much to manufacture. A complex custom processor with networking equipment and high definition capabilities, internal storage, plus an optical drive, and let's not forget the obligatory pack-in controller. It's also worth keeping in mind that quite a few games from late 2013 onwards are explicitly incompatible with 360's which don't have an official internal Microsoft hard drive; some games let you use a USB key of 8-32 gigs as a stopgap, but a few actually impose a Microsoft drive and refuse to run without one, and those are $99 separately by themselves.

Trago

The console that helped to push Western games on top, set the digital distribution standard on consoles, and pump out the greatest controller ever.

So long 360.

E92 M3

One of my all-time favorite consoles. Very bitter sweet.

Time flies by so fast. I still remember being at university and reading about Crackdown DLC with Keys to the City being free. For some reason, it's one of my favorite memories from that era lol.

univbee

I think the Wii had a $99 version on its way out? That's my memory at least.

In Canada at least they had the Wii U Mini for $99, but other than as a curiosity it's a god-awful solution for anyone who isn't a paranoid parent wanting to keep their kids safe.

- No Gamecube game compatibility (and no ports)
- No internet capability, so no Netflix, or Wiiware games, or VC
- No SD card slot. No way to copy things to the console, so no softmodding
- No support for component output; composite only

Raylan

Banned
A bit early.

ZhugeEX ‏@ZhugeEX

FUN FACT:

The Xbox 360 is the 2nd best selling home console in the US with over 43 million units sold.
Ahead of Wii but just behind PS2
More facts:
It will never reach 90 million. And it's still on last place in its generation if you look at "units sold worldwide".

Sometimes i forget how amazing the 360 was. Did so much for the gaming industry imo. that was a good send off. thank goodness 360 games are back compat on the one. the legacy shall continue lol

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
amazing console

first time I ever played online and talked with friends and randomers

U2NUMB

Whats its legacy? Xbox Live, Achievements, Controller?

Beyond those which I agree with... a dashboard mentality.. apps.. the idea of Arcade games..

This thing took so many hours of my life.. I honestly wish I could re-live some of it with a different perspective.

Enjoy retirement young man.. you earned it.

Over the next few weeks and months, we’ll be sharing more of our plans for gaming on Xbox One, Windows 10 and beyond. And as always, keep the feedback coming.

Looks like E3 is going to be big. Though he also says weeks, which means we could get some news sooner. and I would assume "beyond" refers to the iterative update?

This seems very early. Didn't even cut the price to $99.

This type of stuff doesn't work anymore.

Gamecube was heavily discounted and it never recovered. People want the new hotness. Not to mention there's much more competition with Minecraft, a platform in and of itself, tablets and phones.

Good point. It's not like someone who buys a $99 system will additionally buy new controllers, new games, new accessories. They'll go used/pre-owned most or all of the way. So it's really not profitable for MS. Glad they ended the 360 and can focus marketing and shelf space on the One.

AmyS

End of the beginning of the HD era.

B7sFK8H.jpg

Ee9x042.jpg

QhYyQQN.jpg

Erasus

Woah big news

I still have PS3 + PC as my main setup. No real use in a 360 now but wow

Feels like Sony just ended PS2 prod

FZZ

Banned
I was just at Target the other day seeing them still on shelves and I was like "It's almost been 11 years god damn"

God damn

JB1981

The Xbox 360 was one of my all time favorite systems. It introduced me to online play, a digital storefront, and a ton of things. Man I'll never forget all night sessions with friends on games like Halo 3, Gears, Modern Warfare 2, etc.

That system will always have a special place in my heart.

Agreed. Had a lot of fun on it. I also had that fun at the expense of growing up like I should have. But that's ok I'm in a much better place now.

Still will always have fond memories of Gears Wednesday's with the GAF crew, COD4, Halo 3 et al.

Whats its legacy? Xbox Live, Achievements, Controller?

Lighting a fire and running with it in the console arena and bringing competition back to videogames.

It may also be the greatest success Microsoft ever has in the console business. They did an amazing job.

ryan299

I remember being in study hall the day the system was launching and my one friend calling up every store in the area seeing if they had non preorder systems that he could score.

He went out that night and managed to score one.

A classic console - it was my way back into games after a >5 year break. Such a strong library when you look at it in totality over the 10 years. I'd say it'll go down as one of the most influential consoles ever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Before the price cut to $99?

That's literally my reaction. I couldn't care about them continuing to pump out more of them, but they couldn't reduce the price to firesale it? :/

I guess I'll have to pick one up begrudgingly to finish the titles I've been holding out for like 5-7 years since my last one died, now. :/

Top Bottom