• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft exec ‘declines to comment’ on status of Game Pass Nintendo Switch talks

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Banned
no comment is a good indicator that there's still some chance it will happen... so yeah...

I bet negotiating this is hard tho. maybe Nintendo wants some clause that says that no game that is available as a Switch version can be in GamePass on Switch or something... at least that would make sense, if you can play the better version via xCloud why buy the Switch version? and "because it's local and less latency" doesn't work here often either, as the low end hardware of the switch will make it so that more demanding games will usually run way worse and hence have higher latency than even the xCloud version (Fortnite or Apex Legends would be an example of such games which control way worse than they would on xCloud... if they were on xCloud, which they aren't)

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Why would Nintendo agree to have a competitors subscription service on its device?

The Switch is selling just fine. Nintendo would also jeopardize their "full price forever" sale of games.

Would there really be more people who would buy a Switch if GamePass is allowed, considering that Microsoft is poised to release a streaming stick and TV apps?

People can keep dreaming I guess.

Banned
It's going to be really hard to run native Switch (base console) code of Xbox first party.

Probably it's only xCloud? Like how some new titles recently have released on the Switch, like RE7, Hitman 3, Control etc?

it will of course be mostly xCloud, maybe with some native Switch games sprinkled in. like Cuphead for example has a native version, as do the Ori games. so these gamepass games are already on Switch and hence could maybe be played locally

that is if the deal they are working on includes these. maybe the end result will be a deal that only lets them bring xCloud support to Switch and will not allow them to have native Switch titles in GamePass on Switch

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Honestly the only thing I can imagine is that NIntendo would be down for some sort of deal that involved MS giving them a bunch of Azure services for free or at cost.

Nintendo is in the business of making truckloads of money, and limiting what you can even do on a Switch to make sure it's used for that purpose lol

I personally just think it's never going to happen... we may see some games come to Switch that use xCloud as a backend, but you'd likely have to pay for them, ala Control, or how other games have been sold in Japan.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Why would Nintendo agree to have a competitors subscription service on its device?

The Switch is selling just fine. Nintendo would also jeopardize their "full price forever" sale of games.

Would there really be more people who would buy a Switch if GamePass is allowed, considering that Microsoft is poised to release a streaming stick and TV apps?

It means they’ll be able to play hundreds of games that will never come to switch natively, Why would Nintendo drop the price off their full price forever games? Super Mario isn’t going to appear on gamepass.

reksveks

Would like remote play on my switch and then I would have to have a serious think about what do I do with my razer kishi.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Because both can benefit greatly from this. This will be Nintendo opportunity to get the big games missing from Switch.

Ogbert

Why would Nintendo go for this though?

Take attention away from third party/their own games on their own system cuz why?
Yep. I don’t get it.

And that’s not some fanboy take - I just honestly don’t see why Nintendo would go for it or need it?

Being creative, maybe MS has offered to drag their online service out of the stone age?

anthony2690

Banned

If it was for Microsoft first party titles only, they might see it as incentive for people to buy more switches.

They can play Nintendo first party titles and stream microsofts first party offerings.

I can't imagine it would impact Nintendos full price first party titles.

TheGrat1

There is no guarantee that Nintendo will do it, but having the service (specifically, a model they do not try to compete with) available adds value to their system.

Nintendo may ultimately say no but I think there is little doubt that Microsoft will make the ask, and they will keep everything hush hush in the interim.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

If this happens. My guess is.

Xcloud only.
Either indie games switch has wont be on it. Or Nintendo figures people will buy them if they like them.

This gives Microsoft more subs.
It let's nintendo have halo,forza and gears on the switch.

Win win.

Kokoloko85

Because it will probably be just XBox studio 1st party games version of gamepass. It wont include all the 3rd party games that come with the gamepass version Xbox and PC normally users get.

It will be like a 1st party only version of gamepass.
That way it wont effect Switch’s 3rd party sales. Both MS and Nintendo can then reach a deal on how the money is split.

Im sure gamepass comes to Steam it would be the same

Theres no reason Steam, Nintendo or Playstation would want to lose potential 3rd party sales to gamepass.
But Having just MS studio 1st party games wont effect 3rd party sales like a regular xbox/pc version of gamepass ultimate might have on Nintendo, Steam or even Playstation

Corndog

Banned

Sell more consoles. Plus they may receive money from Microsoft.

I actually think this would hurt Microsoft more than Nintendo. Gamers and Switch owners would ask, why buy an Xbox when Switch owners are getting Nintendo games, third party games and Microsoft games all on one platform? Most people buy Nintendo platforms for Nintendo games and a few exclusives. I don’t think Gamepass would interfere too much with Nintendo game sales. Not sure about third party and indie games though. I’m assuming it would be Microsoft’s exclusive games on Gamepass primarily.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The only reason I can see Nintendo doing this would be in exchange for its games coming to xbox too........otherwise why allow it, its too much give for not enough benefit.......

elliot5

The only reason I can see Nintendo doing this would be in exchange for its games coming to xbox too........otherwise why allow it, its too much give for not enough benefit.......
They could limit it to Xbox first party games not available on Switch (other than maybe stuff like Ori), and third party games that don't have a switch port all while paying out to Nintendo a small % of downloads or minutes streamed on Switch or something.

I actually think this would hurt Microsoft more than Nintendo. Gamers and Switch owners would ask, why buy an Xbox when Switch owners are getting Nintendo games, third party games and Microsoft games all on one platform? Most people buy Nintendo platforms for Nintendo games and a few exclusives. I don’t think Gamepass would interfere too much with Nintendo game sales. Not sure about third party and indie games though. I’m assuming it would be Microsoft’s exclusive games on Gamepass primarily.

This would be horrible for Nintendo unless Nintendo is allowed to put their own service on Xbox consoles. The future is subscription services not consoles. Nintendo should be trying to build their own Gamepass/Xcloud and have their games on anything that has an internet connection. this is the future. MS would be ripping Nintendo off so bad in this deal.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They could limit it to Xbox first party games not available on Switch (other than maybe stuff like Ori), and third party games that don't have a switch port all while paying out to Nintendo a small % of downloads or minutes streamed on Switch or something.

Maybe, but drawing Nintendo gamers away from Nintendo games is a bad thing. But if ms allowed Mario and zelda on xbox, it would open up huge potential software sales and eyes on Nintendo games that would offset that loss/risk.

This would be horrible for Nintendo unless Nintendo is allowed to put their own service on Xbox consoles. The future is subscription services not consoles. Nintendo should be trying to build their own Gamepass/Xcloud and have their games on anything that has an internet connection. this is the future. MS would be ripping Nintendo off so bad in this deal.
I think Nintendo making a subscription service and placing their games on other platforms wouldn’t be a smart move especially since they want to sell Nintendo hardware.

I don’t think subscription services will really take off and become until much later, so I still think Microsoft would be getting the shorter end of the stick by placing all their games on competing platforms, but I do see what you are saying.

This would be horrible for Nintendo unless Nintendo is allowed to put their own service on Xbox consoles.
You mean like providing the current Nes/Snes library from Nintendo Online? It's so low effort that it feels like the most likely scenario to happen should such an unlikely thing happen.

Jokerevo

Banned
GP final form is GP on all systems.

You want to become the Netflix of games, you have to become platform agnostic. Ms keep saying that they care about xbots but the money men know that the real target is to release GP on every damn system they can. That big Z acquisition only makes sense if they can jump into PS and N.

Nintendo has nothing to gain from this. We are in Xbox fantasy land now.
Sure all the big 3rd party games not possible to run on Switch and all Xbox exclusives is nothing to gain?

This is such an easy win-win situation.

Microsoft will also port games natively to buy on Switch as a concession, if possible.
And people can pay for Xcloud via Eshop, so Nintendo gets the 30% cut.

I don't see how this wouldn't be a win-win situation. Of course I can't see it being anything other than Xcloud too, and also not including any games that have Switch versions. In that case Nintendo gets a cut of Gamepass just like every other game they sell, increases the number of titles available on their system, even potentially cuts their own customers off from buying Xbox or Playstation. My children are 8 and 10, so I know a bunch of their friends who have switches in the family, and in many cases it is the only console. Microsoft wants more access to that market, and Gamepass games aren't going to stop people from buying Nintendo's games. Win-win all around

Zeroing

Banned
Sure all the big 3rd party games not possible to run on Switch and all Xbox exclusives is nothing to gain?

This is such an easy win-win situation.

Microsoft will also port games natively to buy on Switch as a concession, if possible.
And people can pay for Xcloud via Eshop, so Nintendo gets the 30% cut.
Lol MS wanting to give 30% cut to Nintendo? Didn’t you watched the Apple vs Epic lawsuit
Sidekick MS was very angry at those 30% Apple cut

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Probably because Switch's third party games are crap. Most of the big third party games arent even on Switch and if they are they are severely gimped.

MS would probably do some kind of xcloud service so the games offered are a combo of MS first party and third party games. For Nintendo and it's gamers it'll be more higher quality games, Nintendo gets a cut of the sub plan, and since Nintendo gamers are loyal to their first party IPs like Mario and Zelda and SSB, it's not like they are going to ditch hybrid switch for Xbox.

And MS has Azure cloud service which makes it easy for them. Even Sony partnered with MS for azure cloud. If Sony cant do it on their own, doesn't seem Nintendo would either.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GP final form is GP on all systems.

You want to become the Netflix of games, you have to become platform agnostic. Ms keep saying that they care about xbots but the money men know that the real target is to release GP on every damn system they can. That big Z acquisition only makes sense if they can jump into PS and N.
Seems like that is there aim.

And just like NF, each country (or platform in this case) has their own set of games available.

Top Bottom