• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Free World Update V Released; Improves Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, & Iceland

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Today Microsoft released another major world update for Microsoft Flight simulator improving Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, & Iceland.

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-35.jpg

It has five new hand-crafted airports EKRN Bornholm Airport, BIIS Ísafjörður Airport, ENSB Svalbard Airport, ESSA Stockholm Arlanda Airport, and EFVA Vaasa Airport, on top of a lot more content. Update notes here.

It's impressive how much free content this simulator is getting. They've been releasing these updates every 2 months regularly since release and they don't show any sign of slowing down, plus functional updates to the simulations in the months in which we don't get a world update.

This also means that the Xbox version will have a TON of content right from the start including improved Japan, US, UK, France & Benelux, and the Nordic countries released today.

Trailer

Only small issue? 3 separate downloads weighing 1, 5, and 3 gigabytes. There has to be a better way lol.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do non-hand-modeled cities look in this game? Do they have the automatic 3D thing based on aerial photos that Google Maps (and maybe Bing Maps?) does?

I would like to see how my city (Gothenburg, Sweden) looks, heh.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
How do non-hand-modeled cities look in this game? Do they have the automatic 3D thing based on aerial photos that Google Maps (and maybe Bing Maps?) does?

I would like to see how my city (Gothenburg, Sweden) looks, heh.

There ya go

I think only the stadium is a bespoke asset. The rest is all procedurally generated based on Bing Maps. There's a number of cities that look a lot more precise because they use Photogrammetry, but Gothenburg isn't one of those.

For these portrayed this way, you can expect the map with the position and shape of buildings to be mostly precise (and color of the roof), alongside elevation, roads, and such.

Last edited:

Stuart360

can't really tell you, mine is at nearly 700 gb but there's plenty of addons.

I think the clean sim and updates is closer to 300.
Er the base game is 114gb, i downloaded it the other day on Gamepass. In fact the download itself was 80gb, it just needed 114gb of space to install.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I saw that video earlier today and it looks spectacular. If I didn't know it was FS2020, it could easily fool me into believing it's real - life not a video game.

Chiggs

Think just how much more incredible this game will be 2-3 years from now, given how good it is now.

Buggy Loop

This game needs a big boost of whatever they optimized to get it running on the consoles also on PC. Is it going to be the first game to use Directstorage on PC?

Or hell, implement DLSS, especially since they are considering VR too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There ya go

I think only the stadium is a bespoke asset. The rest is all procedurally generated based on Bing Maps. There's a number of cities that look a lot more precise because they use Photogrammetry, but Gothenburg isn't one of those.

For these portrayed this way, you can expect the map with the position and shape of buildings to be mostly precise (and color of the roof), alongside elevation, roads, and such.

Cool, thanks. I wonder what that tall thing across the water is... We don't have any buildings that tall, lol. They are currently building one around that area that's gonna be the tallest building in the Nordics once it's done, but it's nowhere near that tall yet. Maybe someone got a bit ahead of themselves!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Cool, thanks. I wonder what that tall thing across the water is... We don't have any buildings that tall, lol. They are currently building one around that area that's gonna be the tallest building in the Nordics once it's done, but it's nowhere near that tall yet. Maybe someone got a bit ahead of themselves!

yeah it's a glitch that rarely happens when the algorithm is fed erroneous height data. Since it's based on maps, it doesn't actually have specific data about how many floors buildings have. It has a few sources for that so it does get a decent results, but there are locations in which it just shits up lol. That's one.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This game needs a big boost of whatever they optimized to get it running on the consoles also on PC. Is it going to be the first game to use Directstorage on PC?

Or hell, implement DLSS, especially since they are considering VR too.

Directstorage is literally useless for MSFS. Most of the heaviest data is streamed via cloud. The data it takes from your local storage is very light at any given time.

Buggy Loop

Directstorage is literally useless for MSFS. Most of the heaviest data is streamed via cloud. The data it takes from your local storage is very light at any given time.

Mega cities asset streaming? No? Maybe? I mean they must have optimized a lot for consoles.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Mega cities asset streaming? No? Maybe? I mean they must have optimized a lot for consoles.

They're actually not big assets and most is coming via the cloud. Only some mods tend to be quite heavy when they're ripped from google maps because they're unoptimized, but it's a matter of the number of files, not the size of files (tens of thousands very small files for a city), and fast storage doesn't really help with that.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Christ, I just realized I have 30GBs of free updates in the content manager, including landscapes, landmarks and planes.

Banned
How big is a full install of this game now?

It has to be near 200GB by now with all the updates and patches!

well a lot of it is streamed from servers. if you want to play it locally, and you want ALL OF IT locally, so you don't have to rely on any servers... you are looking at a download of multiple terabytes if I remember correctly.
that's what I think I read ahead or right after release...

because then you will have detailed map data and textures of the whole globe lol

edit: apparently it is about 2 PETABYTES to have it all stored locally lol

Last edited:
How big is a full install of this game now?

It has to be near 200GB by now with all the updates and patches!
I think my total install is about 140GB (not including this new update). that’s including 8GB rolling cache and 25GB manual cache. You can set them to be what you want. I don’t even use the manual cache so could easily put it down to about 115GB. I’d keep the rolling cache on though.

the world updates aren’t actually that big. Maybe a few GB. I haven’t installed this new update yet but I’d be surprised if it goes to any higher than 150GB.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Er the base game is 114gb, i downloaded it the other day on Gamepass. In fact the download itself was 80gb, it just needed 114gb of space to install.
GP version is just a 297mb file and certainly hasn’t downloaded 80 or 114 gig on my Series X.

I feel cheated.

Top Bottom