• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to produce $2.6 billion in hardware sales

Ellery

Why this isn't a launch game for the Xbox Series X ? It would have been a killer ap for launch. Missed opportunity MS.

It is more of a PC game, though I have to be honest and say that I don't know how much stuff you could do with the Series X regarding having a proper setup for it.

All the stuff like multiple monitors, cockpit equipment etc. All that stuff is nasty expensive. My mate is going to pay upwards of 20.000$ for his PC Microsoft Flight Simulator setup.

TheContact

I don't think the game is poorly optimized but it is DX11 so it doesn't take advantage of newer features that could help, especially when it comes to high resolutions.

wow, I'd be really interested why they chose DX11 over 12. Not being a developer, I feel like DX12 would be more efficient with the hardware and result in better performance.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
It is more of a PC game, though I have to be honest and say that I don't know how much stuff you could do with the Series X regarding having a proper setup for it.

All the stuff like multiple monitors, cockpit equipment etc. All that stuff is nasty expensive. My mate is going to pay upwards of 20.000$ for his PC Microsoft Flight Simulator setup.

What ? 20 K ? That's seems a lot. What would even buy to make it that much ?

Ellery

What ? 20 K ? That's seems a lot. What would even buy to make it that much ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Those things are stupidly expensive. I have no idea what I am looking at there but probably 30000$ easily

TheMan

Lol, yeah I bought a new pc largely (but not exclusively of course) for FS2020. Got a decent deal with the MO tax free weekend. Plan on buying a honeycomb alpha yoke when they are readily available again, so that's around 1800-1900 I will have contributed when all is said and done

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
maxresdefault.jpg

Those things are stupidly expensive. I have no idea what I am looking at there but probably 30000$ easily

Premium flight sim cockpit equipment can indeed be pricey. But disregarding the computer, monitor and the laptop, the FS specific equipment in that picture is not even 1K worth.

I see three Logitech panels there ranging from 60 to 150 dollars each. The yoke (also Logitech (and former Saitek brand yoke)) is around 130 dollars. Don't know about the throttle.

Edit: I just checked my favorite online store; EVERYTHING flight sim related is sold out and on backorder, LOL :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Ellery

Premium flight sim cockpit equipment can indeed be pricey. But disregarding the computer, monitor and the laptop, the FS specific equipment in that picture is not even 1K worth.

I see three Logitech panels there ranging from 60 to 150 dollars each. The yoke is around 130 dollars. Don't know about the throttle.

Ah ok thanks for clarification. No idea what equipment a friend of mine is about to get specifically, but he sold all his driving sim stuff which was already like 5000$.

He is even studying like flight guides and pilot rulebooks and all that. Way out of my league, but very impressive

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
At 4K though.

I don't think the game is poorly optimized but it is DX11 so it doesn't take advantage of newer features that could help, especially when it comes to high resolutions.

Its running on Asobos engine which I believe hasn't been overhauled since DX 11s release. I have to imagine in time they will have to overhaul it.

They seem to have worked a lot with Microsoft throughout the years, perhaps an accusation is coming?

manfestival

I can see this, I have a friend that plays the older Flight Simulators endlessly and does occasionally take a real cessna for a spin. He is going to drop the money to create the "ideal" experience for the game.

What other video game do you know of that has the entire Earth modeled into its game world and looks incredibly photorealistic and you can fly above it all?

They just need to fix some visual oddities like the ineffective windshield wipers during rainy weather but otherwise it's quite a technical achievement, in my opinion.

mcjmetroid

Lol. There's not that many people playing a flight Sim game. C'mon now.

And if you're not a stupid person, you can run this game smoothly with an i7-6700k, 32GB DDR4 and a 1080.
But it would be used for training schools as well as in regular schools for educational purposes.

Flight simulator is more of a tool than a game. I wouldn't underestimate it.

skneogaf

For this game I've bought a honeycomb yoke, thrustmaster tpr pendular rudder pedals, thrustmaster hotas warthog joystick and thruster, gt omega art cockpit, upgraded my ram to 32gig.

So yeah I agree.

I already had a racing sim cockpit so I now have both next to each other (or I will have once the cockpit is back in stock)

VFXVeteran

Banned
This seems to be strangely based on previous titles that have never really been well optimized. This analyst (whoever they may be, never heard of them) seem to have never tried the game. The hardware to run MSFS at max settings and performance definitely exists. It's a fairly demanding game, but an RTX 2080 and 3900x eat it alive even in 4k ultra.

No it won't. I've not seen a single configuration that will yield 4k/60FPS @ ultra settings.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Lol, yeah I bought a new pc largely (but not exclusively of course) for FS2020. Got a decent deal with the MO tax free weekend. Plan on buying a honeycomb alpha yoke when they are readily available again, so that's around 1800-1900 I will have contributed when all is said and done

Yea, I already spent well over $600.

TrackIR 5
Wireless Headset
TrackIR clip attachment to headset
Samsung EVO 970+ SSD
Flight pedals (Thrustmaster)
And of course, I'll be buying the 3090 when it is announced.

PC hardware, such as graphics cards and memory is one aspect but it's likely more on the simulator hardware side e.g. serious training. MS Flight is more about professional and "prosumers" for logging hours and experience towards a pilot's license. They can also familiarize themselves with other aircraft or versions they'd never fly etc. The bonus is all the gamers/enthusiasts jumping onboard as well with upgrades and peripherals etc.

It's certainly a massive leap forward for MS Flight. VR will provide a healthy boost as well.

Yams

.......Yeah okay, I'm going to assume that the hundred(s) of extreme flying Sim enthusiasts would spend about 50k at least for a super advanced gaming cockpit.

So in that light, maybe it's possible.

Because I doubt there's enough casuals to spend that much to run the game.

You could be right but I think this release has the potential to create a brand new wave of flight sim enthusiasts, which shouldn't be discounted. This game is being talked about and discussed far outside sim circles, which is unusual.

Speaking from experience, I tried the game last week and have been looking up flight stick reviews this week. I imagine I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

TheMan

I've played previous flight sims and this one is really making me want to purchase a yoke + throttle setup and rudders easily 500 purchase
Yea, I already spent well over $600.

TrackIR 5
Wireless Headset
TrackIR clip attachment to headset
Samsung EVO 970+ SSD
Flight pedals (Thrustmaster)
And of course, I'll be buying the 3090 when it is announced.

luckily i purchased a lot of this stuff piecemeal over the last few years. I'll probably add a honeycomb yoke to the list next month but they're all sold out now, lol.

nemiroff

Gold Member
luckily i purchased a lot of this stuff piecemeal over the last few years. I'll probably add a honeycomb yoke to the list next month but they're all sold out now, lol.

I recently bought mine specifically for MSFS. You have something good to look forward to because it's simply a great piece of hardware. Funny thing is; The reason I know about the Honeycomb at all is that I randomly ended up watching Austin Meyer's (creator of X-Plane) yoke comparison video, LOL.

I wish I had a fraction of his energy..

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Yea, I piecemealed the Thrustmaster warthog and my Oculus VR set. I have the CH pro pedals and the Voltair Sim chair setup. I hate the CH pro pedals though.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Edit: I just checked my favorite online store; EVERYTHING flight sim related is sold out and on backorder, LOL :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Wow
Maybe NOT so niche as some are trying to claim. In fact maybe this game is actually a really big deal.

Jeeves

O-oh...I uh, didn't realize people got so into these games.

Do train enthusiasts transform their rooms into engine cars for Train Simulator?

How about World of Tanks?

....Desert Bus...?

That's a LOTTA fucc'n hardware xD. Flight sim enthusiasts tend to be "whales" of sorts when it comes to accompanying accessories and whatnot for their experiences, though, so not surprising.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wow
Maybe NOT so niche as some are trying to claim. In fact maybe this game is actually a really big deal.

It's a huge deal! First of all, flight sim is a staple genre for PC. When I worked at EB, every one of these games sold like crazy. People really do like them. There hasn't been a proper MS Flight sim since 2006 so lots of lapsed boomers getting on board. Second, the game is a massive jump forward for tech and graphics. This is the first game in years that has made people really go "wow holy shit, games can look like that now?"

I finally got it loaded up on my comfy couch setup yesterday and it's incredible.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I take it you werent gaming on PC in the early years of Crysis?

And of course, before Crysis, the developer Origin used to drive hardware sales. I had a friend, back in the day, who spent $2500 on a new PC just to play Wing Commander 3. He was in university at the time and had nothing. (Interesting story, he’s now a corporate lawyer with a background in bio-resource engineering, is worth about ten million dollars, and has given up on gaming because he has no time for it... this is why being ambitious is bad for your gaming life. LOL.)

Top Bottom