• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Xbox Series X|S Gameplay Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Xbox Series X|S July 27, 2021. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass.

Players will experience the same level of depth and complexity that fans of the critically acclaimed flight simulator have come to love on PC.

The Microsoft Flight Simulator team also announced today a one-of-a-kind expansion in partnership with Paramount Studios to coincide with the exciting launch of the new Top Gun: Maverick movie. More details on the experience will be revealed as the November 19 premiere of the movie and release of the expansion draw closer.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

This looks really good. I JUST commented I was gonna get the XSX for this but don't really have time but ... I dunno. Might have to make a bit of time for it.

Naked Lunch

For those of us without mega PCs - this is the biggest Xbox exclusive in my eyes.
This game shows that true, never seen before, leap to next gen - a new console is supposed to have.
I can see myself playing this one for a long time...

Stuart360

I have never played a flight sim before, I don't think it will be for me, but I sure as hell, will boot this up on game pass, just to see it first hand and experience it a little. :)
Well you can play the game how you want. I literally spent over 80 hours in the game, and all i did was pick a plane, pick an airport to take off from, then just explored the world.
If you have ever spent time exploring Google Earth, this is similar but a level above lol.

This is going to be incredibly hard to surpass on console as far as looks go.

Demon Souls and Hivebusters were the best I've seen so far. R&C may surpass them, but will apparently hold the title for a little over a month before this takes the crown.

I honestly can't think of what would surpass this in the immediate future.

anthony2690

Banned
Well you can play the game how you want. I literally spent over 80 hours in the game, and all i did was pick a plane, pick an airport to take off from, then just explored the world.
If you have ever spent time exploring Google Earth, this is similar but a level above lol.
Maybe I'll play it quite a bit then, if I can just fly round and explore casually :)

anthony2690

Banned
Yeah it has like a 'casual' mode, which turns off stuff like fuel, and advanced flying options. You can then just fly around to your hearts content.
It really is awesome.
Well that's me in then :D
Thank you for providing a little more info on the game, it's really appreciated :)
Wonder how much space this is going to eat on my xbox series x haha.

Will be interesting to see DF comparison. But so far Forza and Flight Simulators looks the most close to photorealism. And the true next gen.

They literally just did the reveal of a jet plane for the top gun tie-in and imo for console players but don't expect alot of them
IMO, if they turn Microsoft Flight Simulator engine into Microsoft World Platform they can build various games using the engine - Ace Combat like games, train, truck simulators. Even racing.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Tom Cruise Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

Fucking top gun.

These jets are going to be amazing to fly around in.

Mozzarella

This game looks incredible, perhaps the best looking game so far. I never played it, is it fun to play without a special Joystick? i think its not fun with keyboard and mouse or controller. But if it is i would love to try it.

Fredrik

In for Maverick 👌
Yeah, I don’t have enough free time in my life to fly some slow ass Cessna in a simulator but give me a F14 or F18 and I’ll be there!
Haven’t played ms flight sim since the 80s. How likely is it that they add some target practise as well for the Top Gun addition?

GHG

Gold Member
Free expansion presented by Top Gun coming Fall 2021.

I don't know if it's going to go full Combat Flight Sim and include dogfighting or anything, but these should be fun jets to fly over the deck.

Yeh the agility of these jets will make them incredible to fly around cities and mountain areas.

This game looks incredible, perhaps the best looking game so far. I never played it, is it fun to play without a special Joystick? i think its not fun with keyboard and mouse or controller. But if it is i would love to try it.

It's not at all fun to fly with a keyboard. Get a flight stick if you can, even if it's a cheap one, completely transforms the game.

You don't need rudder pedals though so just get the stick and see how you go from there.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

This is one of the very few games, maybe even the only one I can think of right now, where better graphics directly corelate with a better game.

Yeah, I don’t have enough free time in my life to fly some slow ass Cessna in a simulator but give me a F14 or F18 and I’ll be there!
Haven’t played ms flight sim since the 80s. How likely is it that they add some target practise as well for the Top Gun addition?

There might be some light hearted target practice of some sort. Also manoeuvres and carrier landings missions.

CamHostage

Shooting might disrupt its Age Rating registration in different territories (It's straight "E" for families in the US), so that's a little obstacle, albeit one easy to overcome, and it does have the Online Content flag for future content.

My feeling is it probably will only have flight technique challenges (fly through the "hoops", recover from a stall, follow the flight commander's lead, land on the carrier, map the Earth, "don't" buzz the tower, that kind of thing) instead of combat mechanics? I could be guessing wrong though, but I feel they will focus on the thrill of harnessing these machines in flight.

Last edited:

Kangx

Really surprised they managed to get the game to 4k/60 on XSX, the PC version is a monster to run. If it actually 4k, and they are not just saying 4k but its really upscaled or dynamic etc.
Oh, we play this game before. Say it with me. It's going to be dynamic 4k. Let's see what is the average resolution when it release.

WoodyStare

I know in the trailer it says captured in 4K, but the footage looks surprisingly smooth. During the premiere I thought it was 60fps but I know many have said 4K 60fps for this game even on the most expensive PCs is difficult to achieve. Even if it's dynamic 4K, it's still impressive how good this looks on console.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Want to see VFX's take on this trailer. The game l;ooks just as good as the PC vesion to me.

I can definitely spot quite a few differences (tree density is a big one for instance), but it's still very impressive. That's not THAT surprising, the Xbox Series X isn't exactly weak hardware.

Another difference I expect is the refresh rate of glass cockpits being medium or low setting (they haven't shown cockpit views yet, I believe), as that part is extremely CPU intensive on PC.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I have never played a flight sim before, I don't think it will be for me, but I sure as hell, will boot this up on game pass, just to see it first hand and experience it a little. :)

Same here. I did that MLB the Show just to support 3rd party AAA games on Game Pass day one and was pleasantly surprised to get a 70 gamer score achievement.

I too don't think this is my kind of game, but I am in awe of the gorgeous videos I've seen from the game and can't wait to see more, but I have to at least once take a flight myself in the first game that is truly bringing next gen to this gen.

Amazing tech and I cannot wait to be cruising the skies for some exploration of the world's skies and landscapes.

I hope Maverick is a full air/naval battle game built within the MS Flight simulation tech. It could be a real return to those sorts of games and a generational leap like nothing else, fun to boot even.

Been loving it on PC but not sure how well this can be played with just a controller. Likely will have a shit load of menu (more than they already are). You can do basic things with a controller like throttle, brake, turn, gears, etc but you need precise control for toggling switches, buttons, inputing data. will be interesting to see how they do it.

also jets??? Fuck yeah

Last edited:

Fredrik

Shooting might disrupt its Age Rating registration in different territories (It's straight "E" for families in the US), so that's a little obstacle, albeit one easy to overcome, and it does have the Online Content flag for future content.

My feeling is it probably will only have flight technique challenges (fly through the "hoops", recover from a stall, follow the flight commander's lead, land on the carrier, map the Earth, "don't" buzz the tower, that kind of thing) instead of combat mechanics? I could be guessing wrong though, but I feel they will focus on the thrill of harnessing these machines in flight.
It could be fun anyway. I used to play F/A 18 Interceptor on Amiga 500 back in my youth and not because of the combat, which wasn’t too thrilling, but because of the feeling of flying the jet, start from the carrier, flying under the golden gate bridge, break the sound barrier, stuff like that, very very enjoyable.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Same here. I did that MLB the Show just to support 3rd party AAA games on Game Pass day one and was pleasantly surprised to get a 70 gamer score achievement.

I too don't think this is my kind of game, but I am in awe of the gorgeous videos I've seen from the game and can't wait to see more, but I have to at least once take a flight myself in the first game that is truly bringing next gen to this gen.
Yeah I really can't wait to see this impressive tech firsthand, as I honestly believe that flight sim is one off/if not the most impressive games ever created, despite not being something I would usually play.

But it is something I would really like to see firsthand :)

Top Bottom