• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired 3̶ 5 more studios

What studios has Microsoft acquired?

• Asobo

Votes: 151 34.0%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 117 26.4%
  • Crytek

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • SEGA

Votes: 143 32.2%
  • Techland

Votes: 87 19.6%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 79 17.8%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • IO Interactive

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • Kojima Productions

Votes: 104 23.4%
  • Focus Home Interactive

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Playtonic

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • Bloober team

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • NetherRealm

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 13 2.9%

• Total voters

Skifi28

WKeiBCe.jpg

yurinka

But I've already said it in my last post, because two major studios "entered the room".

Why would be 3 in the first place to begin with? Well, there's a reason the thread has a Rumor tag to it.
They didn't announce anything related to acquisitons at E3, proving these 'rumors' were fake.

In addition to Halo and Forza, their E3 conference were mostly CGs trailers, multiplatform games and timed exclusive indies. If they had purchased someone they would have announced there because it would be megaton material.

Sure, they will buy someone some day in the future, but seems they didn't buy anyone recently.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I don’t know if its true but I didn’t expect any purchase to be announced in a games showcase anyway. The games showcase was about games and that’s how it should be.

I still hope they buy more WRPGs devs (even small ones like HBS or Owlcat) and use it to expand on their IPs as there is so much crossover potential there.

.Pennywise

Banned
They didn't announce anything at E3, proving these 'rumors' were fake.
Rumors from MS Studios acquisitions are well before E3, I didn't (nor the sources) stated that they would be announced at E3, it was just a possibility. Some acquisitions were announced in previous E3s, others (like Bethesda) were not.

yurinka

Microsoft withheld quite a bit of news. I wouldn't assume they announced everything. They still didn't even announce the new game with IO interactive, which is likely happening.
If this game is real and scheduled to be released in less than 5 years or so they would have announced it with some logo and CG teaser as they did this and the other years. So this ethier another fake MS rumor and this game doesn't exist or the game deal is real but they didn't start to develop it and won't be released on Series X.

There are many fake MS rumors out there based on nothing, just to build hype out of nothing and to spread fud, like the one mentioning the next Kojima game was going to be for MS and turned out to be for Sony.

I don't recommend to believe rumors unless coming from someone who has a record of multiple leaks started from him proved true and basically zero fails, because if not it leads to dissapointments. Look at the Nintendo fans with Switch Pro.

Last edited:
If this game is real and scheduled to be released in less than 5 years or so they would have announced it with some logo and CG teaser as they did this and the other years. So this ethier another fake MS rumor and this game doesn't exist or the game deal is real but they didn't start to develop it and won't be released on Series X.

There are many fake MS rumors out there based on nothing, just to build hype out of nothing and to spread fud, like the one mentioning the next Kojima game was going to be for MS and turned out to be for Sony.

I don't recommend to believe rumors unless coming from someone who has a record of multiple leaks started from him proved true and basically zero fails, because if not it leads to dissapointments. Look at the Nintendo fans with Switch Pro.

Put a pin in this one for a bit. It will be revisited later. I'm not saying Kojima isn't working with Sony, but don't be so quick to assume a deal isn't happening with Xbox and Microsoft. :)

reksveks

Do we know that Kojima's next new game is for Sony? Unless you are counting the directors cut a new game.

PS I think Kojima could be working with multiple parties

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Is Microsoft going to buy Discovery Channel? Discovery just bought Warnermedia a month ago, yet this rumor includes two of their largest development houses. If this is true then you can add traveler's tales, portkey games and the rest of Warner interactive studios to the list. That's 11 studios (not including Sega, take two, square enix and the rest of the lot they are buying right?).

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Because that means more games coming to multiple platforms for a nere 10$.

Two as "multiple" is a stretch. It's Xbox and PC, but instead possibly not coming to Playstation at all. That doesn't sound like a healthy thing for industry.

Last edited:

TBiddy

That makes no sense. So if a game isn't announced 5 years before release, it doesn't exist? Weren't you the one saying that since the acquistions weren't mentioned at E3 they didn't happen? That also makes no sense. Neither Obsidian, inXile nor Bethesda were announced at E3.

.Pennywise

Banned
Two as "multiple" is a stretch. It's Xbox and PC, but instead possibly not coming to Playstation at all. That doesn't sound like a healthy thing for industry.
PC + Xbox consoles + TV/Smartphone/Tablets/PortableConsoles thorugh xCloud doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Some people don't find 70 dollars games each healthy neither.

So the only problem with these acquisitions is Playstation after all?

Last edited:

dotnotbot

PC + Xbox consoles + TV/Smartphone/Tablets/PortableConsoles thorugh xCloud doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Some people don't find 70 dollars healthy neither.

Yeah, I'm not saying Playstation does healthy things either, hell no. Keeping games like Final Fantasy only for PS (and PC) and preventing them from being released on Xbox and Gamepass isn't fine.

But why all the cheering on Microsoft doing the same?

AmuroChan

Don't they have of 70 billion in the bank? why wait for anything.

Having cash in the bank doesn't mean you spend it all right away. You still want to spend wisely and look for good value opportunities. Also, for a company as big as MS, maybe they've got more ambitious plans than just buying gaming studios. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to get into the VOD streaming space and acquire one of the big players. They are one of very few companies on this planet that has the means to acquire a Netflix or Disney.

.Pennywise

Banned
Yeah, I'm not saying Playstation does healthy things either, hell no. Keeping games like Final Fantasy only for PS (and PC) and preventing them from being released on Xbox and Gamepass isn't fine.

But why all the cheering on Microsoft doing the same?
Maybe because people prefer paying 15 dollars to play these pethora of games instead of 70 each (plus more platforms available than just 1 if we're sorta speaking about PS)

I think that the excited people about these deals it's because the existence of Game Pass alone.

Last edited:

reksveks

Having cash in the bank doesn't mean you spend it all right away. You still want to spend wisely and look for good value opportunities. Also, for a company as big as MS, maybe they've got more ambitious plans than just buying gaming studios. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to get into the VOD streaming space and acquire one of the big players. They are one of very few companies on this planet that has the means to acquire a Netflix or Disney.
I don't think they are going to get into vod after killing groove music and mixer. Xbox and office will be their consumer facing rundles. (recurring revenue bundles)

These people who keep wanting MS to buy more studios only want it for console warrior purposes, it makes no sense for MS to buy anyone else right now. They were a shit show managing 5 devs let's see how they handle 23 before we try to make it even bigger. Plus the more teams they own and the more games they make the more money the division costs and at some point they are going to be expected to start bringing in more money, the more they buy the more they are going to be expected to make. GP is a cover for sales numbers so people here will be oddly confidence that it's kicking ass, meanwhile MS has already said it's not making that much money right now, what's it going to be like when they start actually releasing games and then moving on to new projects etc? The price of the service is going to have to go up as well, just remember the higher the costs the more something is going to cost.

As far as trying to compare buying more studios to $70 games which is going to be industry standard once next gen is in full swing try again one has nothing to do with the other. So far when it comes to MS if you've been subbed to GP for the 4 years it's been a thing you've gotten screwed when it comes to first party stuff. Most of the stuff on GP is filler, a bunch of old games that people have already played or don't have much interest in playing. Those are games you wouldn't have missed if you never played them for the most part, there are a few exceptions but I have GPU and honestly most of the games there don't interest me at all and the ones that do I played when they were new.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Some people don't find 70 dollars games each healthy neither.

70 dollars per game isn’t healthy?

Paying for a product is absolutely the definition of “health” in an industry. Look at what the App Store has done to destroy the expectations of software pricing and go read what software developers think of what Apple has done there. The idea that every game developer under Microsoft’s belt can be supported with a ten dollar a month sub seems insane. The numbers just aren’t there and this idea that Microsoft wants to spend all of its money in gaming is false and eventually the shareholders will demand results.

Buying all of these studios is just not the answer. People can leave and then form something new, with MS left holding the bag essentially. With how badly Rare and 343i have been managed why do we expect them to oversee 23+ studios well? It’s just not an easy task and Phil Spencer has not proven himself competent in his role at all.

Sony and Nintendo’s relationship with their customers is far more healthy than what MS has done so far. There are many more of them and they are willing to pay for top quality individual titles. MS is basically saying Xbox is an all you can eat gaming buffet for cheap. The Sizzler of gaming. I just don’t see the business model working given the cost of supporting all of those development studios and their current reach. They should be focusing on making extremely fun and creative games, not as many games as they can.

.Pennywise

Banned
70 dollars per game isn’t healthy?

Paying for a product is absolutely the definition of “health” in an industry. Look at what the App Store has done to destroy the expectations of software pricing and go read what software developers think of what Apple has done there. The idea that every game developer under Microsoft’s belt can be supported with a ten dollar a month sub seems insane. The numbers just aren’t there and this idea that Microsoft wants to spend all of its money in gaming is false and eventually the shareholders will demand results.

Buying all of these studios is just not the answer. People can leave and then form something new, with MS left holding the bag essentially. With how badly Rare and 343i have been managed why do we expect them to oversee 23+ studios well? It’s just not an easy task and Phil Spencer has not proven himself competent in his role at all.

Sony and Nintendo’s relationship with their customers is far more healthy than what MS has done so far. There are many more of them and they are willing to pay for top quality individual titles. MS is basically saying Xbox is an all you can eat gaming buffet for cheap. The Sizzler of gaming. I just don’t see the business model working given the cost of supporting all of those development studios and their current reach. They should be focusing on making extremely fun and creative games, not as many games as they can.
I'm not Microsoft, nor a shareholder.

I'm a costumer, and as such, I prefer to pay 15 dollars to get all of that value than to pay 70 each game, period.

If you find yourself better with Playstation and Nintendo then go ahead and spend your money and time on those platforms, nobody is stopping you to keep doing it.

AmuroChan

I don't think they are going to get into vod after killing groove music and mixer. Xbox and office will be their consumer facing rundles. (recurring revenue bundles)

They killed them because they were unsuccessful in growing their own thing. MS isn't going to stop looking at additional revenue streams and breaking into other spaces. That's what their shareholders demand and expect. The likes of Amazon, Apple, and Google aren't going to stop trying to expand their businesses into other industries. MS would be foolish to just be content making money from Office and XBox. I think Satya Nadella has a grander long-term strategic vision than that.

Sacred

These people who keep wanting MS to buy more studios only want it for console warrior purposes, it makes no sense for MS to buy anyone else right now. They were a shit show managing 5 devs let's see how they handle 23 before we try to make it even bigger. Plus the more teams they own and the more games they make the more money the division costs and at some point they are going to be expected to start bringing in more money, the more they buy the more they are going to be expected to make. GP is a cover for sales numbers so people here will be oddly confidence that it's kicking ass, meanwhile MS has already said it's not making that much money right now, what's it going to be like when they start actually releasing games and then moving on to new projects etc? The price of the service is going to have to go up as well, just remember the higher the costs the more something is going to cost.

As far as trying to compare buying more studios to $70 games which is going to be industry standard once next gen is in full swing try again one has nothing to do with the other. So far when it comes to MS if you've been subbed to GP for the 4 years it's been a thing you've gotten screwed when it comes to first party stuff.

MS are giving these studios full creative control over development, while bank rolling the projects. I also don't see how it's not a "healthy" situation for MS when GP is the fastest growing service by far. It has saved me thousands not having to buy every title I want to try, so please buy more studios so we can continue enjoy titles we would never want to pay full price for and discover very talented devs that weren't able to get their game out there for everyone to see.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
I understand that but realistically not everything can be included in a subscription service. Some developers need that additional revenue while others can make it with the subscription.
But all Xbox First Party are included, and they all have the papa Microsoft botomless wallet, so I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. It's not like every game on Earth will be at Game Pass. We're talking about MS specifically and all the games from the studios they acquire.

But all Xbox First Party are included, and they all have the papa Microsoft botomless wallet, so I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. It's not like every game on Earth will be at Game Pass. We're talking about MS specifically and all the games from the studios they acquire.

Well I wouldn't punish a dev for not releasing their games on Gamepass. Same point of view that I have with Nintendo and Sony.

Don't get me wrong Gamepass is a fantastic value.

yurinka

Microsoft withheld quite a bit of news. I wouldn't assume they announced everything. They still didn't even announce the new game with IO interactive, which is likely happening.

Put a pin in this one for a bit. It will be revisited later. I'm not saying Kojima isn't working with Sony, but don't be so quick to assume a deal isn't happening with Xbox and Microsoft. :)
Do we know that Kojima's next new game is for Sony? Unless you are counting the directors cut a new game.

Yes, the next Kojima game is Death Stranding Director's Cut, which is a Sony game: published by Sony and using an IP owned by Sony.

When announcing it he mentioned that they got hit hard by covid so weren't able do a lot of stuff. So it's fair to assume that since DS release they barely had time to make the PC port and the Director's Cut, and didn't have time to make another game at the same time since Kojipro (according to an article linked in Wikipedia) had about 80 employees less than 2 years ago.

Last edited:

yurinka

That makes no sense. So if a game isn't announced 5 years before release, it doesn't exist? Weren't you the one saying that since the acquistions weren't mentioned at E3 they didn't happen? That also makes no sense. Neither Obsidian, inXile nor Bethesda were announced at E3.
Yes, a game can exist without needed to be announced 5 years before release. What I meant is that if the game would be real, very likely they would have announced with a teaser it even if it's far away from its release as they did with the like a dozen games they have annonced and will be released beyond 2021, many of them announced many years before its releae.

Same goes with acquisitions. Sure, they can be announced outside E3. But typically when they 'save something for later' means to save it for E3. If they really would have purchased 3/5 studios would have announced them, or at least one, at E3.

It doesn't make to 'save it for later' when regarding new exclusives in the E3 they only announced Forza (which looks great) and some CG teasers. It would have the best moment to announce their IOI game, Kojima game and studio new acquisitions if they were real. So I think that they didn't announce them because they don't exist and it's just fanboy wishes and fake rumors to hype people and get attention.

Yes, the next Kojima game is Death Stranding Director's Cut, which is a Sony game: published by Sony and using an IP owned by Sony.

When announcing it he mentioned that they got hit hard by covid so weren't able do a lot of stuff recently. So it's fair to assume that since DS release they barely had time to make the PC port and the Director's Cut, and didn't have time to make another game at the same time since Kojipro (according to an article linked in Wikipedia) had about 80 employees less than 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom