• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired 3̶ 5 more studios

What studios has Microsoft acquired?

• Asobo

Votes: 151 34.0%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 117 26.4%
  • Crytek

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • SEGA

Votes: 143 32.2%
  • Techland

Votes: 87 19.6%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 79 17.8%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • IO Interactive

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • Kojima Productions

Votes: 104 23.4%
  • Focus Home Interactive

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Playtonic

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • Bloober team

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • NetherRealm

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 13 2.9%

• Total voters

The Alien

Banned
I'd prefer Asobo and People Can Fly. Each are really talented, can make a wide variety of games and have a history of working well with Microsoft.

Not sure I'd like Crytek. Sure they have the CryEngine and Crysis. But, now MS owns idTech, so they don't really need another engine. And I'd rather see them spend the likely high sum elsewhere.

Avalanche could be a nice fit because, I believe, they self publish which is part of MS strategy. Its one of many things they liked about Bethesda. I also love the Mad Max game they made so feel they got some talent.

CD Projekt Red would be interesting considering how much their price may have dropped following Cyberpunk, but don't think that's happening.

Stretch....that would be great: they bought Netherrealm and Mortal Kombat IP from WB Games. I think that WB Games deal was closer than many thought, but was odd they pulled it back after having it on the market while still remaining in debt.

jakinov

Do they really need more studios?
23 should be enough if they have a decent release schedule between each other.
Some studios might take 5 or more years to produce a game. Some studios are doing small projects and one isn’t even making a game directly. Some studios might get tied with supporting long term projects and so might not have a frequent release cadence.

Intel
NVIDEA
AMD

New Microsoft Titan X for $3500 get 200fps 480p with no shadows. Cheaper Xbox Raydeon Zen for Netbooks. All running on SpencerPhil i3 processors.

Zeroing

Banned
All their games will be available un numerous platforms and devices. Its only the sony obsessed tribals who shackle themselves and worship that stupid jap company that are missing out. Everyone else can play the games. Microsoft owning studios is as multiplatform as you get compared to anyone else
cool story bro! Yeah available everywhere as long is connected to MS ecosystem. I would love to see your reaction if all this was Nintendo doing it. Or Sony! I am sure you would be having meltdowns.

I know it’s easy for you to talk when your favorite brand is doing things that only impact the others, not you!

with that being said! A Fans will argue with B fans because reasons.

not sure why I even bother…

Matsuchezz

So they are trying to beat number 1 just by sheer numbers.
j3P5B0W.jpg

oagboghi2

All their games will be available un numerous platforms and devices. Its only the sony obsessed tribals who shackle themselves and worship that stupid jap company that are missing out. Everyone else can play the games. Microsoft owning studios is as multiplatform as you get compared to anyone else
Tell us more about this "stupid Jap company"?

FritzJ92

Do they really need more studios?
23 should be enough if they have a decent release schedule between each other.
Aiming for 1 game every 3 months hours keep the pipeline fast so devs aren’t crunching or rushed. They’re taking a take your time approach so they really got to have enough devs to support this. Granted this doesn’t include 2/3rd party deals. Xbox is on it way to it’s best gen.

iJudged

Banned
all BS aside, why so much hateee!? I mean who gives a shit, right? ughhh....enjoy your bellowed console/company and who cares about what everyone else is doing, don't be a cunt ffs...be happy for others

Hezekiah

Banned
Aiming for 1 game every 3 months hours keep the pipeline fast so devs aren’t crunching or rushed. They’re taking a take your time approach so they really got to have enough devs to support this. Granted this doesn’t include 2/3rd party deals. Xbox is on it way to it’s best gen.
It's had a really slow start, and you have no idea whether any of the announced games will be any good - we've barely even seen anything from most of them.

That's why I feel much more secure on the PC side as I'm not tied to a company that has a history of promising big and delivering little.

iJudged

Banned
It's had a really slow start, and you have no idea whether any of the announced games will be any good - we've barely even seen anything from most of them.

That's why I feel much more secure on the PC side as I'm not tied to a company that has a history of promising big and delivering little.
what GPU/CPU do you have?

Smoke6

Insane if true considering many of those 26 studios have multiple teams. Microsoft is becoming undeniable at this point.

Undeniable at what? At the end of all this they’ll be publishers bro! With data caps that don’t make sense and people internet not equipped to handle streaming, they’re a long ways off from being where Sony and Nintendo are!

Let’s see who these studios are first as like I said before, it’s gonna be next gen before you really get to see what these studios are doing exclusively and y’all don’t buy games anymore like y’all used to on Xbox so therefore those gamepass numbers have to be close to if not more than 100mil at full price

FritzJ92

Look at this point 26 studios aren’t releasing 26+ shitty games. 5 of their studios already product consistently good games Zenimax games aren’t bad either so it’s kind of impossible to say “we don’t know if they’ll be good”... we know some will already. It’s the unknown that we can’t judge.

Undeniable at what? At the end of all this they’ll be publishers bro! With data caps that don’t make sense and people internet not equipped to handle streaming, they’re a long ways off from being where Sony and Nintendo are!

Let’s see who these studios are first as like I said before, it’s gonna be next gen before you really get to see what these studios are doing exclusively and y’all don’t buy games anymore like y’all used to on Xbox so therefore those gamepass numbers have to be close to if not more than 100mil at full price
It's odd to me that people only care about data caps when talking about gaming, yet, they stream everything else.

hemo memo

Gold Member
all BS aside, why so much hateee!? I mean who gives a shit, right? ughhh....enjoy your bellowed console/company and who cares about what everyone else is doing, don't be a cunt ffs...be happy for others
Well, I am a Sony fan but I am still happy. The more pressure to Jimbo and Sony to act the better.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

erm they will still make games on disc you know and game pass you download the game and not stream it. exactly the same as sony does

Smoke6

erm they will still make games on disc you know and game pass you download the game and not stream it. exactly the same as sony does
Dude none of Xbox even chart and haven’t for a while! I remember back in 360 they used to do box office numbers if not better with their games and nothing from them since they started this gamepass mess!

please name off all the games that’s been platinum or sold as well as they have before on the 360 til now?

I’ll wait…

John Wick

Amazing what gold coffers can do at the corporate level.

What ever happened to the narrative divisions work in silos and have their own balance sheets where they can only afford what their own financials can do?
Shit! Nintendo and Sony should just pack up now because MS is gonna give a free SX and VRR capable TV with a GPU prescription

hemo memo

Gold Member

Actually Microsoft is genius and this IS the future of gaming. A reliable gaming service. You don’t need to stream. You can download from a large library. It is not the shitty 3 games monthly from Sony PS+ that make no sense to a new subscriber and doesn’t offer access to a full library and PSNow is not reliable and Sony can’t keep doing big releases forever and increasing cost because that’s unsustainable.

McCarth

15 development studios in just 3 years with a total cost probably around ~$10B...

That’s about 15% of Nintendo’s entire market cap!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Dude none of Xbox even chart and haven’t for a while! I remember back in 360 they used to do box office numbers if not better with their games and nothing from them since they started this gamepass mess!

please name off all the games that’s been platinum or sold as well as they have before on the 360 til now?

I’ll wait…

digital downloads are a thing you know.

also games on gamepass dont need to chart do they. if halo infinite is on gamepass there will be enough sales still and gamepass subs to play it

kyussman

Three more,damn...if any of these studios actually release some games one day we are gonna be feasting for sure...can't wait!

Smoke6

digital downloads are a thing you know.

also games on gamepass dont need to chart do they. if halo infinite is on gamepass there will be enough sales still and gamepass subs to play it
Yes games need to chart on games pass dude so therefore you can get an idea of what the forecast looks like for DLC and shit since y’all games aren’t gonna sale since it’s on gamespass day 1!

you have dev costs like halo infinite that’s over $500mil (rumored)

Marketing which would be another $100mil
And so on!

that’s just one game dude we can go into the $7.2bil acquisition and I’m sure that’s not counting funding for fames that are in dev right now that you may or may not see this gen!

So tell me if this was outta your own pocket, how many games would have to sell and how many subs would you need to just recoup that to break even?

martino

if there is no japanese studio then it will not add what will still lack.
they don't really need more western studios imo

Fredrik

Well, I am a Sony fan but I am still happy. The more pressure to Jimbo and Sony to act the better.
My take. I can’t find a PS5 anyway so the more studios MS secure for the Xbox and PC the better it is, for me. No idea which studios this could be though, probably something small since the big ones are already taken or there would’ve been smoke.

Topher

Gold Member
Actually Microsoft is genius and this IS the future of gaming. A reliable gaming service. You don’t need to stream. You can download from a large library. It is not the shitty 3 games monthly from Sony PS+ that make no sense to a new subscriber and doesn’t offer access to a full library and PSNow is not reliable and Sony can’t keep doing big releases forever and increasing cost because that’s unsustainable.

Microsoft has their own fair share of "big releases" coming so I don't get why you are saying that is unsustainable. Either way, Sony is doing very well with their business model. I keep reading people saying such and such is "the future of gaming". The games industry is not a "one way or the highway" business . There are a multitude of business models currently in gaming and Microsoft's future isn't the only future

FritzJ92

My take. I can’t find a PS5 anyway so the more studios MS secure for the Xbox and PC the better it is, for me. No idea which studios this could be though, probably something small since the big ones are already taken or there would’ve been smoke.
Bethesda didn’t have any smoke. We just knew another acquisition was on the way.

KAL2006

Banned
They basically going the Netflix route they won't stop at 26 either. They wanna be in a position they have so many exclusive games that eventually someone not in the ecosystem will find something they want to play which makes them buy a Xbox or subscribe to Gamepass.

Top Bottom