• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Has Now Banned Game System Emulators from the Windows Store

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
You believe video of Super Mario Bros 3 running on an Xbox One is equal to video of AKIRA_HorribleSubs.mp4 being ran on an Xbox One? On a games console? Sorry, no.

How is it not? Seriously, the level of copyright infringement is exactly the same. It is 100% percent the same from a legal perspective. Why not ban all video players? There's so much pirated video content out there right?

MUnited83

For you.
So please tell us why MS made this decision.
I can tell you it has jackshit to do with any legalities.
no they don't obviously

not enough shit in your comments about the Windows Store lately

???
They would love that
"You can play Nintendo and Playstation games on Xbox. Xbox is the only Platform you clan play everything on"
It's almost like the Windows store continues to be shit or something, how dare someone say that , poor MS.
You believe video of Super Mario Bros 3 running on an Xbox One is equal to video of AKIRA_HorribleSubs.mp4 being ran on an Xbox One? On a games console? Sorry, no.
Legally yes, it is the exact same. I mean, video players primary purpose is playing videos, but you don't see video player makers getting into court because their video players allow piracy, do you?

This guy is in the game industry. His name is Frank, and he's the man.

I agree with his talk!

He's behind the new Disney Afternoon Collection, right? If not him, then friends of his? I doubt they'd be thrilled that people can easily play the six games in their collection for free on Xbox. And it's not entirely about legality. If NES emulators were left up, Xbox would not be the preferred platform for the game. Which Microsoft would not be okay with and do what they can to get equal marketing. See if the game is pushed on Steam as hard as console. It won't be.

Legally yes, it is the exact same. I mean, video players primary purpose is playing videos, but you don't see video player makers getting into court because their video players allow piracy, do you?

Other than my OP, I've not been talking about legalities.

I swear I'm never changing my avatar, I love it

I mean, yeah, but that doesn't really have anything to do with piracy. And I'll stop the conversation here because I am not interested in the inevitable discussion what will unfold and that will change zero people's minds in either side

It certainly makes my day anytime I see it. I'm not even kidding. I chuckle every time.

Vestal

Gold Member
How is it not? Seriously, the level of copyright infringement is exactly the same. It is 100% percent the same from a legal perspective. Why not ban all video players? There's so much pirated video content out there right?

There is a difference in were the source material for content on both a video player and an Emulator comes from..

Any average joe out there with a phone can make a video to watch on their xbox.. How many people in the world can honestly say they can sit down and create a game to run in one of these emulators? Better yet how many actively developed games are there out there from SNES, NES emulators that are not infringing on Copyright?

Apples and Oranges.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
There is a difference in were the source material for content on both a video player and an Emulator comes from..

Any average joe out there with a phone can make a video to watch on their xbox.. How many people in the world can honestly say they can sit down and create a game to run in one of these emulators? Better yet how many actively developed games are there out there from SNES, NES emulators that are not infringing on Copyright?

Apples and Oranges.

Not every ROM is illegal. It's just as legal to rip a ROM as it is to rip a DVD. It's Apples to Apples. People are fooling themselves to think there's any difference. You're just more comfortable with copyright infringement of videos because it's more common. It is not in any way more legal.

Microsoft's store has always been shitty but they should've taken this opportunity to improve the store on Xbox not restrict the store on PCs

btrboyev

I can tell you it has jackshit to do with any legalities.

It's almost like the Windows store continues to be shit or something, how dare someone say that , poor MS.

that argument is weak as hell. I suppose you are just playing HomeBrew on emulators?

LewieP

I wonder if they would ban, for example, a homebrew NES game, uploaded by the creator of the game, packaged with an emulator, but with no support for loading other roms.

Actually I guess that's what some retro rereleases are, so that probably would be allowed.

Vestal

Gold Member
I wonder if they would ban, for example, a homebrew NES game, uploaded by the creator of the game, packaged with an emulator, but with no support for loading other roms.

Actually I guess that's what some retro rereleases are, so that probably would be allowed.

We would first need to see a publisher do it. Besides, I am guessing Microsoft wants to control that channel as far as gaming goes with their own services on the xbox.

I also wonder if they are concerned from a security perspective. I know Appstore Apps are pretty well locked down, but I wonder if there are risks to this since the emulator is basically loading code that has not been reviewed by Microsoft to run.

Nanashrew

Banned
I feel like some take it too black and white. But I feel their reasoning is likely a legal one, and not wanting to deal with some murky areas. We shall see how it goes though and what changes in the future.

MUnited83

For you.
I agree with his talk!

He's behind the new Disney Afternoon Collection, right? If not him, then friends of his? I doubt they'd be thrilled that people can easily play the six games in their collection for free on Xbox. And it's not entirely about legality. If NES emulators were left up, Xbox would not be the preferred platform for the game. Which Microsoft would not be okay with and do what they can to get equal marketing. See if the game is pushed on Steam as hard as console. It won't be.

Other than my OP, I've not been talking about legalities.
I don't think you actually watched his talk with any kind of attention.
Interesting that you think that the Disney collection, a digital only 20$ title will get more "push" on console. Can you explain that statement? It really doesn't make any kind of sense at all. They are not going to give it less marketing because of emulators.
that argument is weak as hell. I suppose you are just playing HomeBrew on emulators?
You can play your own backed up games. Amazing, i know.

MUnited83

For you.

Rare Replay is filled with games running on emulators of Nintendo systems.

LewieP

I feel like some take it too black and white. But I feel their reasoning is likely a legal one, and not wanting to deal with some murky areas. We shall see how it goes though and what changes in the future.
I suspect it's more that they don't want anyone playing games that weren't licensed by MS.

Don't play Megaman on an emulator, buy the Legacy collection.

Don't play Perfect Dark and Conker on an emulator, buy Rare Replay.

Don't play Resident Evil on an emulator, buy Resident Evil HD Remastered.

Etc.

Head.spawn

So please tell us why MS made this decision.

It's kind of fucked up to be a business partner with Nintendo on one hand, they have games on their console, have released titles on their portable in the past, and have openly talked about other things that haven't come to fruition; and then on the other hand have an emulator, which they are strongly against for some reason. All it probably took was Nintendo to ask them as a courtesy.

Cipherr

Google Play continues winning, MS continue to make their shitty fucking store even shittier every single day.

Lol Google isnt some hero here. Them being trash at pulling emulators off of their store doesn't make grant them a 'win' by any means. Im pretty sure they dont care for emulators on their store either, they just have shittier removal history vs other stores.

MUnited83

For you.
Lol Google isnt some hero here. Them being trash at pulling emulators off of their store doesn't make grant them a 'win' by any means. Im pretty sure they dont care for emulators on their store either, they just have shittier removal history vs other stores.
? You make no fucking sense at all. They are not "trash at pulling emulators off" or "shitty removal history"
Emulators are fucking completely legal products that can be distributed and sold. There's zero fucking reason for them to remove it. They are not breaking any laws or terms of service.

Mega

Banned
? You make no fucking sense at all. They are not "trash at pulling emulators off" or "shitty removal history"
Emulators are fucking completely legal products that can be distributed and sold. There's zero fucking reason for them to remove it. They are not breaking any laws or terms of service.

Fucking fuckity fuck shit!

Dude, chill out. People are disagreeing and stuff but you're the only one dialing it to 11 and being incredibly rude. It's just games and emulators, man. Relax.

Edit: here you go

image.php

Spladam

I agree with his talk!

I think Frank would make the case that the folks running the emulators are the exact consumer you are targeting, and the ones that are buying these releases. Yes, it was his company that released the Dinsey Afternoon Collection, and if you had watched the video, you'd see that he makes the case that if you package these collections right, allowing for both accurate emulation and the choice of added features, folks will buy it even if they already emulate the game, even for a premium price, which is largely true.
I play games in collections more than I play said titles in emulation.
Google is well aware of emulators, and I believe they have taken some down for impoper wording int he EUA or some such, I might be wrong, but I know they are aware of their exisence. Some of them are quite popular.
Easy mate, I know you feel strongly about this, and I agree with you, but don't allow the discussions to bait you into getting excited, even if the poster begins there statement with a facetious and smug "Lol". I hate the fact that people no longer use LOL to actually express laughter and use it primarily as a smug retort.

You also know there ARE some reasons for them to remove it, the most likely being on strong suggestion from their legal department, but there are many others. Could they just leave them up for us, yes, but we have not come that far yet, and it looks like we are far away from that kind of consideration towards emulators.

Until then, we will continue to do what we do. We have better emulators than the ones on the app store anyway, even if they don't allow for touch controls.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Is pirate the emulators legal? the CEMU add anti-piracy and there is r/cemupiracy
It's hilarious.

MUnited83

For you.
Fucking fuckity fuck shit!

Dude, chill out. People are disagreeing and stuff but you're the only one dialing it to 11 and being incredibly rude. It's just games and emulators, man. Relax.

Edit: here you go

image.php
There is nothing to disagree about Google Play "failing to remove emulators". There are no reasons to remove emulators to begin with!

Plum

It's perfectly legal for a person to use a ROM of a game that they created from a legally-purchased source on an emulator, same as it is perfectly legal to download and use an emulator. Microsoft wouldn't have gotten in legal trouble for hosting emulators in the same way

It's also perfectly legal for Microsoft to remove content from their store to protect their image despite the fact that they won't face legal repercussions from it.

So this mainly comes down to image (and, as Vestal mentioned, potentially security as well). To put it bluntly, the vast majority of those who use emulators aren't using them alongside entirely legally obtained content (i.e. homebrew or back-ups), so hosting emulators on your service brings with it a certain image. Microsoft has active business relationships on the Xbox & UWP platforms with companies whose games can be pirated incredibly easy for use on emulators such as NESbox, and likely because of this they decided to ban such emulators from their platforms. The potential financial and social ramifications of, say, Capcom disapproving of NESbox being on Xbox whilst they release the Disney collection, are very likely higher than the ones from the general consumer.

Now we can get in to whether this is good for the consumer or not, or whether MS is being too forceful here, but in truth there's many legitimate reasons, in Microsoft's eyes, to block emulators on their store and none of them have anything to do with the legality of the emulators themselves.

Game Guru

The reason why MS took the emulators down from the Windows Store is most likely because they prefer to get 30% profit off of games being played on XB1. If you are using an emulator, then no matter if it is a pirated ROM or a legal homebrew or dumped game, that's a game that MS isn't getting any profit off of and playing content ported from other platforms is what emulators do by definition.

Mega

Banned
It's perfectly legal for a person to use a ROM of a game that they created from a legally-purchased source on an emulator, same as it is perfectly legal to download and use an emulator. Microsoft wouldn't have gotten in legal trouble for hosting emulators in the same way

It's also perfectly legal for Microsoft to remove content from their store to protect their image despite the fact that they won't face legal repercussions from it.

So this mainly comes down to image (and, as Vestal mentioned, potentially security as well). To put it bluntly, the vast majority of those who use emulators aren't using them alongside entirely legally obtained content (i.e. homebrew or back-ups), so hosting emulators on your service brings with it a certain image. Microsoft has active business relationships on the Xbox & UWP platforms with companies whose games can be pirated incredibly easy for use on emulators such as NESbox, and likely because of this they decided to ban such emulators from their platforms. The potential financial and social ramifications of, say, Capcom disapproving of NESbox being on Xbox whilst they release the Disney collection, are very likely higher than the ones from the general consumer.

Now we can get in to whether this is good for the consumer or not, or whether MS is being too forceful here, but in truth there's many legitimate reasons, in Microsoft's eyes, to block emulators on their store and none of them have anything to do with the legality of the emulators themselves.

This pretty much sums it up in the best way possible.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
The reason why MS took the emulators down from the Windows Store is most likely because they prefer to get 30% profit off of games being played on XB1. If you are using an emulator, then no matter if it is a pirated ROM or a legal homebrew or dumped game, that's a game that MS isn't getting any profit off of and playing content ported from other platforms is what emulators do by definition.
Scorpio is powerful enough to emulate X360, so it sounds reasonable

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

I believe this has been their outwardly stated reason in the past. Games in general are not allowed to be apps on Xbox and the Windows Store. Despite Microsoft's bluster about 'every Xbox being a dev kit' once upon a time you can't make and distribute games as freely as apps on Xbox One.

Emulators are 'games' to Microsoft rather than 'apps' I expect. There's no legal reason to restrict them but Microsoft won't allow you to publish a game as an app in the store in the first place

Blam

Just imagine how great that would be, but let's not stop throwing ourselves at the confines of the app ecosystem, I mean the awesome companies are ensuring us that this is the future and the freedom of running what we want on our own devices is a needless burden.

It's not like the emulators on the apps store are not dreadful shadows of what a proper full functioned and accurate emulator should be, no, they were so awesome.

I've run out of sarcasm.

Honestly tho I'm pretty sure I know a way to get a store client working pretty damn well. If I can get a few issues out of the way.

Leb

This represents an important win for Microsoft shareholders and should be applauded by responsible consumers who understand that these regulatory and legal frameworks exist in order to further the market interests of corporations, their shareholders, and thus by natural extension, the interests of individual consumers.

This is a win-win-win for all parties involved.

tsundoku

Bad analogy.

An NES emulator can be used to do two things: Play homebrew or played released (copyrighted!) games.

A video player can played pirated movies. It can also play home movies, student films, public domain video, purchased content from other stores, among other things.

Mario running on an Xbox is not okay.

You heard the man Nintendo, do not port Mario Run to xbone

Spladam

This represents an important win for Microsoft shareholders and should be applauded by responsible consumers who understand that these regulatory and legal frameworks exist in order to further the market interests of corporations, their shareholders, and thus by natural extension, the interests of individual consumers.

This is a win-win-win for all parties involved.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Phil, is that you?

Mael

What's so hard to understand? For all intent and purposes, these apps would be used illegally by practically everyone (with a rather low margin of error).
MSFT has no obligation facilitating infringement of their direct partners products.
Google doesn't give a shit because they don't give a shit and don't have explicit contracts with publishers who would be less than happy about MSFT basically condoning "stealing" from them.
This is less about Nintendo and more about Capcom/Konami/Square-Enix and co.
Emulators can be used legally with approval of all parties involved, see Megaman Legend Collection, Rare Replay, Super Mario All Stars, etc.

True Fire

Wait until Trump makes it legal for Microsoft to track which emulators you're using and sell that information to Nintendo and Sony's legal departments

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mario running on an Xbox is not okay.

What about Mario running on a Windows machine? Because this is about the Windows store, correct?

What would be wrong with a Windows user downloading an emulator from the Windows store and using it to play their old carts via Retrode or whatever?

Mael

What about Mario running on a Windows machine? Because this is about the Windows store, correct?

What would be wrong with a Windows user downloading an emulator from the Windows store and using it to play their old carts via Retrode or whatever?

Yeah because we all know the majority of people using emulators are going to get on that site where they no longer sell stuffs to do that.
Sure you can use a gun to hunt roaches but that's nowhere near the most common use.
Next you're going to claim that r4 carts were all about people making backups of their hard earned physical copies!
e: and Mario running on xbox is not ok?
What year is it? Is this some kind of dumb console war BS?

There were a few emulators on Xbone that were disguised as a pdf viewer as a loophole to the "primary gaming experiences must go through id@xbox) I wonder if they removed those.

Fake edit: Just checked and they are still there.

Isn't that completely arbitrary though, including to the point where they just might add to them that they won't allow emulators?

(I dunno if it's on Ms store's TOSes, but for iOs for instance I believe it does)

Even if emulators are legal the majority of the people who use them play illegally downloaded roms. Good on MS for not dealing with that minefield.

Top Bottom